Author Topic: Police State - Official Thread  (Read 989718 times)

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
Re: Police State - Official Thread
« Reply #3250 on: December 23, 2016, 01:49:27 AM »
These violent sadistic goons should be sent to the electric chair.

Police Taser 91yo Alzheimer’s Patient for Not Going to the Doctor

“…the State is a soulless machine, it can never be weaned from violence to which it owes its very existence.” — Mahatma Gandhi

Minneapolis, KS — A hard to watch video of police tasering a 91-year-old man has just been released showing the nature of Gandhi’s quote above. For refusing to go to a doctor visit, an elderly Alzheimer’s patient was tasered and handcuffed — because police were worried about his well-being.

The incident happened in March, however, the body camera footage was not released until Thursday. In the video, we see an undersheriff with the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office deploy his taser on a 91-year-old man with Alzheimer’s at a Minneapolis nursing home because the man wouldn’t get in a car to go to the doctor.

To get this man to a doctor for his health, police assaulted him, placed him in handcuffs, and he had to be carried out on a stretcher. This is why cops are not doctors.
When the incident happened in March, police attempted to mislead the public claiming that the 91-year-old Alzheimer’s patient became violent with officers — so the taser was necessary. However, in the video below, we can clearly see that this is not the case.

What the video does show is a stubborn elderly man who simply does not want to go the doctor. Instead of simply waiting him out, or letting him go to sleep, or employing any of the endless possibilities of non-violent solutions, cops waited only minutes before resulting to violence.

In the video, the man’s only ‘violence’ was when he swatted at the officer hands as they attempt to grab him. When he gets up and tries to walk away, the hero cop deployed a taser to his back, immediately rendering him incapacitated.

“It’s easy for us as citizens to sit back and watch that and be taken aback by that. It’s difficult to watch,” Joe Schillaci, a former law enforcement officer explained to KWCH before making an appalling attempt to justify such despicable actions against a 91-year-old man.

When trying to justify the use of a taser, Schillaci noted that if the cops would have been more physical in their confrontation, the elderly man could have caused a more serious injury.
“…It most definitely with his age, would have caused some pretty good injury,” Schillaci says. “They deploy a taser and incapacitate him immediately.”

However, according to the man’s family, the use of a taser led to their beloved grandfather’s death just a short time later.

According to KWCH, the 91-year-old man’s family say the handcuffs broke his wrist and they believe this incident weakened his heart and led to his death two months later.

The Ottawa County Sheriff, according to KWCH, is out of the office this week and told us he was unavailable to speak on camera. He said he thinks the investigation is complete, but needs to check his reports.

What this case illustrates is the misguided training police are receiving in modern day America. When your only tool is a hammer, everything, including 91-year-old Alzheimer’s patients, start to look like nails.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/alzheimers-patient-tasered-by-police/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3251 on: December 23, 2016, 01:00:31 PM »
UFC Fighter-Turned-Cop Fired For Reporting Fellow Cop for Rape

UFC fighter turned police officer Sean Gannon has been fired and was asked to turn in his gun and badge after he blew the whistle on a dirty cop and turned him in to the FBI.
Gannon conducted an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit recently, where he stated,

“Hello, I’m UFC Vet Sean Gannon, the only guy to ever defeat Kimbo (RIP) bareknuckle. AMA. Actually ask me anything for the next 17 hours because after turning in a dirty cop to the FBI, I’ve been ordered to turn in my badge and gun at 7:00pm, and I’ll likely be ordered to not discuss my case further.”

Gannon then linked to a page on mixmartialarts.com where the situation was already explained more in depth.

Gannon says that Sgt. Detective Trent Holland was assigned to a gruesome murder case that took place in Boston, and instead of doing his job, he framed innocent black teens and fabricated evidence. Gannon also says that Holland is guilty of at least one case of sexual assault and that the department helped him cover it up. He had reportedly taken evidence of both of these transgressions to the FBI, and was quickly suspended and then fired as a result.

Speaking in an interview with the site, Gannon said that “He was an epic piece of s***. If those words aren’t appropriate for him, they don’t belong in the English language. I’ll take my suspension and wear it as a badge of honor. Besides, after the things he’s done, and the things they covered up for him….they haven’t got the STONES to try and suspend me for that.

He f***ed everything up. Instead of finding the bad guy, he invented one. He took three innocent black kids and threatened them with bogus 20-year cases if they didn’t help him fabricate a phony warrant for his fake murder suspect. Trent Holland was a little man, small in stature and spirit. He had a Napoleonic complex, and desperately wanted to be on even footing with better men than himself. To do this, he didn’t care what innocent lives he trampled, as long as he got his face on camera.”

Coincidentally, it was Holland’s desire to get his face on camera that resulted in an old rape accusation surfacing.

“He just had to get his face on camera. He just couldn’t get enough. And one day, a young woman watching TV said ‘That’s him! That’s the man that raped me!’ he had skated all those years, but finally his lust for the camera did him in. It was a cold case, 14 years ago, and she lived in Cape Cod, she would have never seen him again if he didn’t have to be on camera all the time. One of his detectives once said, ‘He was a Lieutenant Detective,’ all he had to do was stay in the office and make sure his men had the resources they needed to do the job. But he just couldn’t do that. There is one piece of DNA that doesn’t go away. She couldn’t give up the baby.”

Gannon went on to say that since the girl was a child at the time, there is absolutely no way that the sexual encounter could have been consensual. He also said that the police department intentionally drug their feet on the investigation so the statute of limitations would pass.

“They let him retire! With his pension! They let him retire without having to register as a Sex Offender, so nobody was ever warned there was a predator among their children! The media dropped the ball too, the only thing you’ll find on it is that one small article in that local paper in that link I sent you. Who knows how many children he has victimized since then? Last I heard, he was working as a Driver’s Ed instructor! What could possibly go wrong? How could their parents not be warned? That’s why I had to speak out. And by the way, those scumbags that did the cover up are the same scumbags that did Sean so I did it out of loyalty too,” Gannon said.

The rest of the interview was extremely insightful, showing first hand the experience of a whistleblower cop. He even suggested that “the sociopaths are in charge.”
“They promoted him! Lt. Detective Trent Holland. He had proven that not only would he do it, but that he also had what it took to get away with it. To the sociopaths in charge, that’s all that matters,” Gannon explained.

He added, “If you get dangerous drug dealers off the streets, he’ll target soft non-violent pot dealers until he’s a hero and you’re the loser. In fact, you’re more than a loser, you’re one of the “bad cops” because you’re targeting the violent offenders and fights are frequent – they don’t like cops and don’t want to go back to jail. He’s targeting harmless college kids who won’t fight back, so his stats are pristine. You’re the one that looks like the violent a**hole that get’s targeted for “torment and termination” by their statisticians. Heck, the sociopaths are so slick at it, they’ve even convinced people that a MENSA member/UFC vet isn’t qualified to be a street cop. I guess I’m in pretty good company though, we actually had an ex-Navy SEAL turned away from our SWAT Team as underqualified. The current regime seems to hate veterans, hate martial artists, hate everyone that’s capable of taking care of business when things go South. The guys that actually care about the Mission, about helping people, and being physically prepared to do it are seriously handicapped against those that only care about how they look and getting ahead.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/ufc-fighter-turned-cop-fired-corrupt-rapist-cop/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3252 on: December 24, 2016, 01:09:42 AM »
When will those violent armed intruders be sent to prison?

NYPD Cops Raid Wrong Home, Posting Photo of Handcuffed Family to Snapchat

New York City cops raided a family’s home in Brooklyn at the break of dawn Thursday, handcuffing every family member while searching the apartment unit for three hours before realizing they had the wrong home and leaving.

Next thing the family knew, a photo showing them handcuffed while sitting on the couch appeared on Snapchat with the caption, “Merry Christmas it’s NYPD!”.

Another photo also appeared on Snapchat with the caption “Warrant sweeps Its still a party smh.”

Now internal affairs is investigating, but have refused to release the names of the officers involved.

According to ABC 7, which interviewed the family:

“The worst part was the Snapchats,” Kimberly Santiago said. “That’s what really got to me.”

“The things that he wrote, it’s like, this what you all do?” Santiago said. “If he did that to, picture how many other families he’s done that to. And he was the only one standing there watching us.”

“Ya’ll know that when you came to this house, looking for the wrong person that we don’t even know,” she said.

“We thought he was texting on his phone,” she said. “Because the whole three hours we were sitting here, he was the one standing there. We saw him on his phone, but we didn’t think an officer would do that.”

The photos appeared in the New York Story feed on Snapchat, which is a smartphone app where photos last 24 hours and receives more than a billion views a year, according to Wikipedia, which describes the app as focusing “on the ephemeral nature of fleeting encounters.”

In 2013, Gizmodo reported that Snapchat regularly hands over unopened messages to police to assist them in investigations.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/12/23/nypd-cops-raid-wrong-home-posting-photo-of-handcuffed-family-to-snapchat/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3253 on: December 24, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
While they try to limit the quantity and type of firearms law abiding citizens can possess, these people who are supposedly "highly trained" in firearm usage and have access to firearms citizens can't possess, exhibit lethal irresponsibility.

Ohio Cop Not Charged After 2-Year-Old Son Fatally Shoots Himself in Head With Department-Issued Gun

An Ohio cop has not been charged with a crime after his two-year-old son somehow got a hold of his department-issued gun and fatally shot himself in the head Thursday morning.

Cleveland police have identified the cop as Jose “Tony” Pedro, a 54-year-old cop on the force since 1993, but have not stated how the shooting occurred.

They are calling it an “accidental shooting” instead of an act of negligence by having left the gun within reach of the toddler.

In October, a judge sentenced Cleveland resident Ricardo Sims, 27, to two-and-half years in prison after he left a gun in his son’s reach by hiding it underneath the couch where his girlfriend’s three-year-old son was able to grab it to shoot and kill his one-year-old brother, Braylon Robinson.

Sims and his girlfriend Shanee Robinson were both charged with involuntary manslaughter, endangering children, reckless homicide and receiving stolen property.

In that case, after Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams went to the home where Braylon was shot, he promised to hold Sims and Robinson accountable for the boy’s death.

“It’s a sad day for Cleveland. A 1-year-old child lost his life,” Chief Williams told reporters outside of the home during a press conference where he described the gun at Robinson’s home as “untended” and stating charges would likely be brought against the couple.

Chief Williams blasted gun culture during the press conference.

“This is a senseless loss of life for this city again, and it’s directly related to guns,” Williams told reporters. “We need to really take a hard look at the things we’re doing out there on the state, local and the national level to get some of these guns out of our communities, because nothing good ever happens.”

In a separate incident during the same month, a six-month-old girl was fatally shot in the chest from an apartment building as her mother was driving in the car with two other people.

Chief Williams broke down in tears as he spoke out about the shooting and said enough was enough, according to Fox8.com.

“We will stay on this as long as it takes. We want bodies in jail tonight for this crime.”

In Thursday’s shooting, the toddler’s mother was home with the boy’s older brother, although it’s not clear where they were located inside the home or how the boy was able to get his hands on his dad’s pistol or why the mother did not call paramedics.

Officers and emergency personnel responded to the boy’s home after his older brother alerted Sonya Hobbs, a neighbor, to call police.
Hobbs called 911 after seeing the aftermath of the horrific scene, but did not witness the shooting.

“I was leaving out my back door and I heard somebody saying somebody call the police. He was hollering ‘Call 911, my brother just shot himself.’ He was just screaming and hollering. I got my phone and called 911.”

Hobbs, who was described as emotional when she reported the scene to dispatchers, said the child suffered a gunshot wound to the head.

“When I went in there, I seen that baby. He was only two-years-old. I seen that baby laying on the floor,” Hobbs said.

The toddler, who locals are calling Dominique, was rushed to a local hospital where doctors performed surgery, but later died.

Although the department stated an investigation was ongoing, Chief Williams has not made any comments indicating he intends to pursue charges against the cop

“Unfortunately it took the life of a beautiful two-year-old little boy, but all we can do is pray and support them and be there for them. He’s been a police officer since 1993 a very well respected police officer on the force. It’s fate I guess that’s all we can say,” Carlisha Conner a friend of the cop told Cleveland19.

Negligence is nothing new when it comes to cops and their department-issued service weapons.

In May, we reported about San Diego cop Neal “Nick” Browder who was searching the home of a probationer when he “accidentally” fired his gun, sending a bullet through a wall and into a baby’s crib.

Fortunately, the crib was empty at the time.

San Diego police placed Browder on a desk job after the incident.

Last month, we reported about North Carolina cop Misty Michelle Flowers who negligently shot her daughter while showing her department-issued service weapon to friends at her home during a Halloween party, sending a bullet through a wall, striking her 11-year-old daughter in the next room.

Flowers was fired.

“I find gross negligence and the disregard for the safety of others was displayed in the incident Saturday night and therefore Officer Flowers was terminated today,” said Sheriff David Carpenter.

In October, a Fresno police officer in California shot and killed a fellow officer in a negligent discharge while discussing gun safety inside a police building.

Cleveland police have not indicated whether or not the unnamed cop will be fired or charged with negligence.

But a reasonable person would say there’s not justifiable reason why a 2-year-old should be able to get a hold of a loaded gun.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3254 on: December 25, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »
Hero Cop Tells the Truth, Holding Police Accountable is Not Anti-Cop, It’s “Anti Bullshit”

Hero cop Dominick Izzo witnessed such expansive corruption in his department, he shattered the notorious Blue Wall of Silence to blow the whistle, but — like nearly all officers who break ranks attempting to hold bad cops accountable — found himself the subject of false allegations and under suspension for the effort.

Now — after earning the scorn of Round Lake Park, Illinois, Police Chief George Filenko and other officers stridently loyal to the Thin Blue Line — Izzo has come forward again to set the record straight about alternative media outlets who report on police misconduct.

Naming The Free Thought Project, Police the Police, End the Drug War, and others in a recent live video on Facebook, Izzo emphatically asserted,
“They’re not anti-cop. They are anti-bullshit — anti-illegal behavior.”

Izzo’s followers, comprised primarily of current and former law enforcement officers — some supportive, some more loyal to the badge than the imperative to call out misbehavior lurking behind it — harbor misperceptions about factual reporting on incidents of police misconduct.

While seemingly countless officers brutalize, shoot, and even kill with reckless indiscretion — and under near impunity, given the paltry rate of conviction for legitimate misconduct — accurate media coverage still comes under fire by cops who’d like to the the Boys In Blue can do no wrong.

Izzo addresses fellow officers in the video — particularly those willing to step over the Thin Blue Line as he did — imploring them to understand so-called “anti-cop” forums like The Free Thought Project are simply mischaracterized and are supportive of anyone in law enforcement holding wrongdoers accountable.

Izzo believes accurate reporting on police misconduct and the occupation of law enforcement are not mutually exclusive.

“This is a chance for us to bridge the gap and show the great cops out there who can’t speak,” he said, referring to good cops unable to come forward for fear of reprisal. “And for those of you cops who are so frustrated, who have been emailing me about your frustrations, guys, I’m doing what I can for ya. I’m going to go to bat for you and I’m going to do what I can, when I can.
“So, I appreciate your pain; trust me, I know it. I’m living it, and I know it.”

After publicly condemning the Round Lake Park chief and department — and resisting intimidation and threats that followed — Izzo has become something of a police folk hero across the country, as officers in similar situations and those considering speaking out flooded him with correspondence.

When a cop like Izzo has the courage to speak out — damn the consequences — the brave act can be contagious, encouraging more to do the same.

But Izzo — who once earned an award for disarming a knife wielding, would-be attacker without firing a single shot — didn’t stop with truth-telling about alternative media. He addressed egregious law enforcement mishandling of an incident captured on video that went viral this week.

On Wednesday, a Fort Worth mother called police after her seven-year-old son was allegedly assaulted by a neighbor who claimed the child had littered — but she wound up under arrest, along with two of her daughters, when the cop showed up and blatantly sided with the man who’d supposedly carried out the assault.

Jacqueline Craig summoned the cops after the neighbor allegedly began choking her son for refusing to pick up a piece of trash he’d allegedly tossed on the ground. While, indeed, littering is wrong, assaulting a child is a violent crime.

But that didn’t matter to the responding officer.

In fact, the first words out of the callously indifferent cop’s mouth when he arrived on scene were, “Why don’t you teach your son not to litter?”

“It doesn’t matter if he did or didn’t. It doesn’t give him the right to put his hands on him,” Craig replies.
“Why not?” the officer indignantly asks.

Infuriated at the notion littering is somehow a more abhorrent infraction than an adult choking her son, Craig begins yelling at the cop.

But the officer, who seemingly never had any intention of investigating the actual possible crime that brought him to the scene, then worsens the situation, telling the mother, “if you keep yelling at me you’re going to piss me off and I’m going to take you to jail.”

As one of Craig’s daughters tries to de-escalate the rapidly deteriorating situation, all hell abruptly breaks loose — and the cop apparently takes Craig to the ground, places her in cuffs, and eventually does the same with two of her daughters.

That officer has now been placed on restricted duty while the department performs and investigation — and, as Izzo explains, the cop made one grievous error in handling the call.

“Look, if you’re a cop — and I’ve done it, we’ve all done it — that famous line, ‘Your mouth is about to get you arrested,’” Izzo explains, “you cannot say that, or any variance of [it].

“In the video — I don’t care how edited it was, I don’t care how non-edited it was. I don’t care how loud that woman is. I don’t care if she’s black and the other guy’s white and he’s chokin’ her kid out. I don’t care what it is.

“That cop just lost every leg he wanted to stand on when he said that he’s about to bring her to jail because she’s yelling at him. It is a violation of her free speech. You can not take someone to jail for what they say.”

As Izzo notes, there exists no legal grounds for arresting anyone for yelling at an officer — and the officer thus wholly violated a constitutionally-protected right by threatening and then arresting her for exactly that. Accordingly, Izzo pleads,

“Please. Do not defend this cop. I don’t care how righteous his actions may have looked [on] unedited video … The moment he said ‘Your yelling is pissing me off’” and threatened to bring her to jail, he overstepped the line.

“He’s not a professional,” Izzo says. “He does not deserve to do this job.”

The whistle-blowing officer concludes his live video with a thank you to alternative media outlets who “support what we do. Because we’re going to bridge the gap between the public we serve and the amazing cops out there who do serve them — who aren’t getting recognized.”

Such outlets, Izzo reiterates, “are here to help. And we can. We can do this together.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-office-anticop-anti-bullsht/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3255 on: December 26, 2016, 12:51:15 PM »
California Man Arrested, Charged with Driving Under the Influence — Of Caffeine

Solano County, CA — 38-year-old Joseph Schwab has been fighting a DUI for over a year, despite the fact that he was not under the influence of any illegal drugs at the time, he did, however, test positive for caffeine.
The Guardian reported that Schwab was pulled over last August by an officer who accused him of driving erratically.

Schwab was driving home from work when he was pulled over by an agent from the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, who was driving an unmarked vehicle. The agent said Schwab had cut her off and was driving erratically. The officer claims that Schwab cut her off and she gave him a breathalyzer which showed a blood alcohol content of 0.00%.

Unfortunately, the officer was still not convinced. So, she arrested him and took him to jail so his blood could be drawn for other drugs. His blood tests came back negative for all illegal drugs. But he did test positive for caffeine. For some reason, this was enough to charge Schwab with a DUI.

“I’ve never seen this before; I’ve never even heard of it.” Stacey Barrett, Schwab’s attorney said.

“I have not been provided with any evidence to support a theory of prosecution for a substance other than caffeine at this time. Nor I have received any statements, reports, etc documenting any ongoing investigation since the [toxicology report] dated 18 November 2015,” she added.

“No one believed me that I only had caffeine in my system until I showed them the lab results. I want the charges to be dismissed and my name to be cleared,” Schwab said.
The California legal code specifies that a “drug” is any substance other than alcohol that could impair a person’s driving, but there is no precedent for caffeine negatively affecting a person’s ability to drive. In fact, it is quite the opposite as caffeine is marketed in gas stations across the country as increasing alertness while on the roadways.

Jeffrey Zehnder, a forensic toxicologist interview by the Guardian, believes that the case against Schwab is extremely weak.
“It’s really stupid, If that’s the case, then they better come and arrest me,” Zehnder joked, adding that, “There are no studies that demonstrate that driving is impaired by caffeine, and they don’t do the studies, because no one cares about caffeine.”

What this case illustrates is the arbitrary nature of the state to use any reason possible to find a person guilty. The police state has claimed a right to search your most private property — your own blood. And, whatever they find inside it — can and will be used against you in a court of law.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-arrested-dui-charges-driving-under-influence-caffeine/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3256 on: December 27, 2016, 12:00:46 PM »
The criminal gang was quick to not only welcome him back to its ranks but also promote him.
Why are such violent and dangerous abusers not punished adequately? Meanwhile the public keeps sleeping, muttering about the fictional "war on cops".

Cop Admits to Throwing 4yo Child Against the Wall, Causing Serious Injury, Gets Slap on the Wrist

Farmington, MO — In February of 2015, Leadwood Police Officer Jay R. Bellis, 38, picked up a 4-year-old child and smashed him into a wall causing him to crack his head on a kitchen cabinet. Only because a 3-year-old child witnessed the incident and reported it, did his fellow cops ever find out. Once they questioned him about the abuse, Bellis admitted to it and was charged with felony child abuse.

Last week, Bellis was sentenced for admitting to the abuse. However, likely due to the fact that he was a police officer, he will not be required to serve his 7-year sentence — nor the 1-year minimum required for the Class C felony, to which he admitted.

In October, Bellis pleaded guilty to endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree, a Class C felony. Circuit Court Judge Wendy Horn then sentenced him to serve seven years in the Missouri State Department of Corrections. However, Horn then suspended execution of the sentence and placed Bellis on probation for five years.

Instead of the seven years he should be serving in prison for beating up a small child, Bellis was ordered to serve what is known as ‘Shock Time’ in the St. Francois County Jail and complete anger management.
Shock time, according to Missouri law is a special program with a drastically reduced sentence for first-time offenders. The ‘shock’ is to put the person in jail for a minimum of 120 days to show them a glimpse of the potential consequences of their actions.

However, showing the nature of blue privilege, Bellis won’t have to do the entire 120 days — only 60.

This sentence should come as no surprise given the fact that after Bellis admitted to the felony, he was given a promotion within his department.

Bellis was working for the Leadwood Police Department from 2011 until 2014.  The admitted child abuser then moved from the Leadwood PD to St. Francois County Sheriff’s Department, where he worked from March of 2014 to February 25 of 2015. He left the department one day after the abuse.  It is currently unclear why he left, if he was terminated, or if it was his choice.

However, on March 12, Bellis returned to the Leadwood Police Department and despite his history of assaulting 4-year-olds, he was promoted to Sergeant shortly after his arrival.

This cop admitted to throwing a 4-year-old boy against a wall so hard that he bounced off and smashed his head on a kitchen cabinet. He also admitted to pulling a 4-year-old’s ear so hard that it bled. He was charged and admitted to the “Class C” felony because it resulted in “serious emotional or physical injury” to the child. And, because of his blue privilege, he will not even face the 1-year required minimum sentence for his crime.

Meanwhile, there are likely dozens of non-child-abusing fathers rotting in prison because Bellis arrested them for possessing cannabis. And politicians and the American public at large, have the audacity to refer to this process as ‘justice system.’

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-child-abuse-slap-wrist/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3257 on: December 28, 2016, 11:21:16 AM »
It's time to utilize the RICO act and finally starting prosecuting these criminal organizations for what they really are.

Latest Police Extortion Racket — ‘Booking Fees’ for Arrests — Even When You Are INNOCENT

As if getting arrested and taken to jail isn’t painful enough, residents in Ramsey County, MN are forced to pay “booking fees” whether or not they’re eventually found guilty of the crime for which they’re charged. One example of the latest, and some have said “outrageous,” revenue streams comes from the case involving Ramsey resident Corey Stratham.

Arrested and charged with disorderly conduct, Stratham had in his possession a total of $46 dollars in cash. Released two days later, after having the charges dismissed, he attempted to reclaim his possessions, only to learn the jail had charged him $25 for “booking fees.” In place of the cash, which the cops took from him upon his arrest, the authorities returned to him a gift card for $21 — the remainder after the booking fees were withheld. Worse yet, the gift card came with a myriad of fees which made getting the $21 quite impossible.

First, there was the $7.25 to withdraw the funds from an ATM, then there was the $1.50 maintenance fee per week, and a per occurrence of $2.50 to withdraw the funds at an ATM where Stratham didn’t have an account. All of which made it nearly impossible to get the $21 cash in hand. Stratham sued the county.

According to the New York Times, the nation’s highest court is considering weighing in on the egregious practice of what some are calling government sponsored extortion, which all too often hits the poor the hardest.
“The Supreme Court will soon consider whether to hear Mr. Statham’s challenge to Ramsey County’s fund-raising efforts, which are part of a national trend to extract fees and fines from people who find themselves enmeshed in the criminal justice system,” write the Times.

And the extortive practices aren’t limited to small counties in MN either. In Kentucky, citizens are forced to pay for the time they spend in jail. In Colorado, after assets have been confiscated, citizens are required to file a separate lawsuit in order to reclaim their funds, even after they’ve been found not guilty. The major problem with filing a lawsuit in CO is that if you lose your court case, you’re then required by CO law to pay the court costs of the defendants.

The Times reported Stratham’s case was, “argued last year before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit in St. Paul, a lawyer for the county acknowledged that its process was in tension with the presumption of innocence.” Oh yeah! There’s that famously quoted legal expression which appears to be largely overlooked in 21st century policing in the U.S. The idea of the presumption of innocence until proven guilty in a court of law seems to be overlooked as police departments seek to implement, develop and expand an ever-increasing source of revenue streams.

As police departments seek to make up for budget shortfalls, instead of focusing on catching criminals, a conflict of interests arises. Just last year, a Justice Department report found the Ferguson, MO police department, along with the courts, worked to enforce the municipality’s penal code to supplement up to 30 percent of the police department’s budget.

The report concluded, “Ferguson’s law enforcement practices are shaped by the City’s focus on revenue rather than by public safety needs. This emphasis on revenue has compromised the institutional character of Ferguson’s police department, contributing to a pattern of unconstitutional policing, and has also shaped its municipal court, leading to procedures that raise due process concerns and inflict unnecessary harm on members of the Ferguson community.”

As The Free Thought Project has reported, many police officers are uncomfortable with their roles in generating revenue for their departments, instead of focusing on what led them into law enforcement in the first place; fighting crime. Left unchecked, the new sources of revenue streams can be as controversial a subject as unlawful arrests. Already, police departments are heavily involved with asset forfeiture, using speed cameras, and “tossing” cars while looking for crimes with which to charge people.

One source even claims police are looking at an ever-expanding list of ways to charge people for their services. Here’s a list of the possible revenue streams police departments are encouraged to explore:

1.fees for sex offenders registering in your jurisdiction

2.tow companies and/or impound lots that are owned and operated by cities

3.fine increases of 50 percent; substantially more fine increases for DUI offenses

4.imposing a fine for repeat false burglary alarms, as done by Meridian township, Michigan (some communities, such as Fremont, California, have stopped responding to alarms altogether, citing a high false alarm rate)

5. service fees for: jumpstart and vehicle lockout services; ride-a-longs for the public; fingerprinting for employment purposes; checking vacation houses when the owners are away (a truly ambitious police department could start its own in-house  security service that includes home checks and security for private businesses); security and clean-up for various special events, such as fireworks and marches; note, however, that you may open yourself up to challenges from residents who have limited tolerance for fees imposed for police services that are either “too high” or that some may claim are already paid for from taxes;

6. designated business to clean biological material from serious crime scenes

7.allowing advertising on agency website and/or squad cars or otherwise allowing agency name for advertising purposes (this is an idea that has been floated from time to time since earlier this decade in some communities)

8. charging a resident fee similar to a utility franchise tax (a quarterly, stand-alone bill for law enforcement services)

9. charging fees to non-residents who wreck in another town

10. taxes/fees on all alcohol or ammunition sold in the city

11. fee for public to use police firing range during certain hours

12. public safety fee for all new developments in the city

13. offering firearm safety classes to the public for a fee

14. pay-per-call policing/charging a fee for each 911 call – though this may be possible only in unique situations as it may be particularly difficult to find public support for this option

When police departments cease being a law enforcement agency, and begin to transform themselves into a business, which generates revenue, an interesting phenomenon occurs. The agents of the agency, the police officers themselves, become incentivized to generate more income for their employer, rather than do their jobs as crime fighters.

As the Rand Corporation explains it, the practice of revenue generation by local government agents is rife with conflicts of interest. “But, the devil is always in the details. Having these assets go (in whole or in part) into the budget of the department that collected them creates an incentive for them to do more—to pursue more resources,” Rand writes.

“If a department starts to plan on having seized resources available—and to rely on them—or if officers start getting rewarded for how much revenue they bring in, the concern becomes whether law enforcement action will become driven more by the goal of revenue and less by the goal of public safety,” the corporation concluded.

As for Stratham, the county’s attorney Jason M Hiveley stated, “There is some legwork involved,” but he can get his money back. The county’s legal counsel continued, “They can do it as soon as they have the evidence that they haven’t been found guilty.”

But the question still remains. If the case is dismissed, or if the courts rule someone is not guilty, why doesn’t the county feel compelled to return the money without forcing the exonerated individual to file any paperwork at all or requiring said individual to once again prove their innocence? The answer may simply be that the county wants to hold on to it.

Stratham’s attorney Michael A. Carvin reportedly wrote in the Supreme Court brief he filed, “Revenue-starved local governments are increasingly turning toward fees like Ramsey County’s in order to bridge their budgetary gaps,” adding, “But the unilateral decision of a single police officer cannot possibly justify summarily confiscating money.” He said, “Providing a profit motive to make arrests…gives officers an incentive to make improper arrests.”

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/booking-fees-latest-example-extortion-police-revenue/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3258 on: December 28, 2016, 11:32:41 AM »
Police Shoot Innocent Man in the Back, Leaving Him Paralyzed — Charge HIM with Assault

Fort Worth, TX — An innocent man was shot in the back by police, arrested, charged with assaulting THEM, is now paralyzed for the rest of his life — and police call this justice.

After David Collie watched the video of a Fort Worth police officer assault and arrest an innocent mother and her children who called police after her 7-year-old son was choked by a neighbor, he decided to release the video of his encounter with Fort Worth cops.

“Unfortunately, what we’ve seen from the Fort Worth police officer in that video is not an isolated incident. Many members of our community have been assaulted, handled roughly by Fort Worth police officers,” Collie’s attorney, Nate Washington said. “To be clear, we believe the vast majority of police officers are good and decent people.”

The terrifying video shows police officers pull up to Collie’s apartment complex, get out of their cruiser, and immediately shoot him in the back. One officer is seen holding a blinding flashlight on Collie while another ‘fears for his life’ and squeezes off a round, severing Collie’s spine.

Police were looking for two armed men that night, who allegedly robbed someone they met online to purchase an item. However, Collie did not fit the description, notes his attorney.

According to police, Collie walked away from them and refused their commands to put his hands up. Officers then claim that Collie pulled out a silver box cutter and pointed it at them. Fearing for his life, the Fort Worth police officer shot him in the lower torso, according to the Fort Worth statement.

The video does not show a box cutter.

While Washington agrees that there was a box cutter discovered on the scene — over ten feet from where Collie was shot — he says the police account of Collie threatening cops with it, is fictitious. And, the video backs him up.

When speaking of the video, “I wasn’t there that night. I do know what I saw. I know I never saw this man with a weapon. I never saw this man advance toward the officers. I know I saw him get shot in his back.”

Collie would spend the next two months chained to a hospital bed fighting for his life after police arrested and charged him with aggravated assault on a public servant. When a grand jury heard his case and watched the video, they refused to indict him.

Since the shooting, which happened in July, police haven’t released any of the records on a potential investigation of the officers involved and have kept Collie and his attorney in the dark.
“The process that they ask us to trust is essentially, ‘Let us do what we want to do, we will not be transparent at all, and then we’ll tell you what we concluded,'” Washington said of the police response to an innocent man being paralyzed for the rest of his life after cops wrongly shot him in the back.

“There are conflicting reports in the different city police reports they have written, they have various different narratives and they’re inconsistent,” Washington said.

Collie has yet to file a lawsuit against the Fort Worth police department, but Washington noted they are considering one. He also noted that after they released this video, others began to come forward.
“We’ve gotten calls from attorneys across the city, who said, ‘I have videos as well, I have photographs of what happened to my client,’ and so we’re investigating the culture and the practice of the City of Fort Worth,” Washington said.

“We want justice for David. We want change,” Washington stated, adding, “but we also want peace and calm from the community after they see this video.”

For the rest of his life, David Collie will be in a wheelchair. And, he will have to live with the fact that people who claim to ‘protect society’ put him there.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-shoot-innocent-man-back-paralyzed/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3259 on: December 29, 2016, 09:54:41 PM »
Once again the cops investigated themselves and found nothing wrong...

Hundreds of Drug Convictions Overturned After Corrupt Cops Caught Framing Innocent People

Leroy Gonzalez says that he spent over two years in jail after he was framed by crooked cops and wrongfully convicted of a drug charge. While Gonzalez sat in jail, the officers that arrested him continued their spree of corruption until it eventually caught up with them, resulting in a corruption investigation.

Unsurprisingly, after being investigated by their own agency, the officers were acquitted and allowed to return to their jobs in July of 2015. However, their luck ran out when one of the officers in question, Officer Jeffrey Walker ended up getting caught in a drug-related robbery. In court, Walker quickly turned on his partners, and admitted that officers Thomas Liciardello, Michael Spicer and Perry Betts regularly planted evidence and framed innocent people.

When Gonzalez learned that the officers who framed him were under suspicion of corruption, he filed his own lawsuit in relation to his two years spent behind bars.

In the lawsuit, Gonzalez says that the officers “unlawfully and maliciously planted numerous items of false evidence in [his] vicinity to create the illusion of probable cause [and] justify their grossly illegal police misconduct.”

The lawsuit goes on to say that the officers participated in “concealment, fraud, and subterfuge to prevent the relevant and truthful facts of [his] arrest from being discovered until August 7, 2015.”

Gonzalez says that he was sitting alone in his car one night when he was approached by the officers and accused of selling drugs. After searching his vehicle without probable cause or a warrant, the officers found nothing, but according to Gonzalez, they threw him to the ground and handcuffed him anyway, planting evidence in his vehicle to justify taking him in for an arrest.

After Gonzalez spent two years in jail he filed an appeal and was able to get all of the charges against him dropped. The charges were dropped “due, in large part, to the admissions of police misconduct by former Police Officer Jeffrey Walker and [Pennsylvania’s] own investigation into the matter.”

In the lawsuit, Gonzalez is seeking compensation for his time spent in jail as well as unspecified damages for the assault and violation of privacy that came from the false arrest and imprisonment.

In addition to the case of Gonzalez, the revelations about these corrupt officers have prompted the overturn of nearly 450 drug convictions in the city of Philadelphia.
After the rulings, U.S. District Judge Paul Diamond ordered the officers involved to stay away from the former defendants who have brought lawsuits against them.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/450-drug-convictions-overturned-after-cops-caught-framing-innocent-people/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3260 on: December 29, 2016, 10:02:03 PM »
This is what happens when you have dangerous and ignorant idiots with a badge and a gun who try to assert their "authority" where they are out of bounds. Those cops should have been thrown into the burning house.

Indiana Police Arrest Fire Chief for Trying to Keep Cop from Escalating House Fire

Cops and firefighters clashed after responding to a house fire in Indiana Tuesday, resulting in police arresting the fire chief as the house continued to go up in flames.

Cannelton police say the city’s volunteer fire chief, Christopher Herzog, pushed and shoved one of their officers, which is why they arrested him for felony battery against a police officer.

But fire fighters say Herzog was only trying to keep Cannelton police officer Ryen Foertsch from breaking a house window, which would have allowed more oxygen to enter the burning home, causing the fire to spread and the house to possibly explode.

Also, Foertsch – an award-winning officer – was not even in uniform and it was very dark, so the chief may not have even realized he was a cop, according to John C. (Bull) Smith, district chairman of the Indiana Volunteer Firefighter’s Association.

Foertsch, who was first to arrive on the scene, said he was trying to break the window to clear the room in case anybody was inside.

But he obviously has not been trained in how to fight fires because that is a big no-no.

Herzog was bailed out by Cannelton Mayor Mary Snyder, according to the Perry County News:

Cannelton Police Officer Ryen Foertsch and Perry County Deputy Stephen Poehlein arrived at the scene, and immediately entered the burning residence to make sure nobody was inside. After clearing two rooms of the home, smoke became too overwhelming, forcing the officers from the fire.

Once outside, Foertsch attempted to break the window of a room that he was unable to clear. Fire Chief Christopher Herzog approached Foertsch, pushed him hard enough to cause him to step back, and began shouting profanities at him, telling him to get off of his fire scene. Foertsch tried explained to Herzog what they were doing in clearing the burning home, at which point Herzog pushed Foertsch again, and again yelled profanities at Foertsch to get off of his scene.

Both officers conveyed the situation to their superiors. At the request of Cannelton Police Chief Lee Hall, troopers with the Indiana State Police were contacted to investigate the complaint. After investigating, Troopers Jeremy Galloway and Nathaniel Kern arrived at the scene of the fire and placed Herzog, 51, into custody.

Herzog was lodged in the Perry County Jail but was released in about half an hour after Cannelton Mayor Mary Snyder posted his $1,505 bond.

Police not only arrested the fire chief, but ordered the rest of the fire crew out of the area, even though the home continued to burn.

Homeowner Chris Zukeschwerdt could only watch in disbelief, according to Tristate Homepage.

“I was in shock,” says Chris Zukeschwerdt, whose house was on fire.”When I saw the faces of those firefighters – to see their leader being pulled out of here while he was fighting a fire was just unreal.”

Zukeschwerdt has spent 40 years as an EMT and says, “I’ve never seen anything like it in my life.”

Humphery recorded the aftermath on her cell phone. She watched first responders in blue and red butt heads, while a fire burned in the background.

“They pulled the fire chief out,” Zukeschwerdt said, while the fire was still smoldering. Humphrey saw him arrested and put in handcuffs.

Neighbors there say police officers then told Cannelton firefighters to pack up. A firefighter can be heard on video telling his crew to pick up the hoses and leave.

“We’re in charge of this scene now,” Zukeschwerdt says he heard a police officer say, “and a lot of the fire department guys started saying let’s grab out gear and go.”

Zukeschwerdt says he heard the assistant fire chief tell his firefighters to stay put and “make sure this fire is out.”

Well, it wasn’t.

The house caught fire again, and torched the rest of the house.

Even most cops commenting on the story on the Law Officer Facebook page believe the cop was out of line, saying that even though there are times when they arrive to a house fire before firefighters, they are quick to back off to let them take over once they do arrive.

Also, the National Incident Management System, which sets national standards for first responders in emergency situations, states that the first fire unit arriving on the scene of a house fire are the ones to take command of the incident.

Below is a local news report, which includes footage of the arrest and an interview with the homeowner.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/12/29/indiana-police-arrest-fire-chief-for-trying-to-keep-cop-from-escalating-house-fire/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3261 on: December 29, 2016, 10:16:41 PM »
Disgusting pig must've been in a hurry to get his doughnuts...

A 1000hp Bugatti Veyron accelerates from 30-60 in about 1.3 seconds. The cop was doing 66 on a 35 mph zone and deployed his siren for 1.5 seconds. It must have been an insanely fast cop car...

Oregon Cop Appealing Citation for Driving into Doughnut Shop

An Oregon cop who ran a red light and struck a pedestrian before driving his patrol car into a doughnut shop earlier this year was found to have violated department policy and state law.

But Bend Police Corporal Robert Emerson is an award-winning officer, which means he only had to pay a $260 fine for a traffic signal violation.

And he is appealing that, according to KTAU:

Data from Emerson’s squad car computer show he was traveling 66 mph in a 35 mph zone with lights and sirens on for 1.5 seconds before he T-boned a green 1997 Chevrolet truck.

Porter said Emerson made a mistake, but he was an otherwise exemplary officer with eight citizen commendations and 10 internal commendations over his 13-year career. Porter said this is Emerson’s only violation.

Emerson declined to comment. He was convicted of his traffic signal violation and has since filed an appeal of the decision.

The incident took place on March 5, one hour into his shift, as he was trying to stop a suspected stolen car by speeding past the car to deploy spike strips.

But he ended up T-boning the Chevy truck, which sent his patrol SUV skidding across the intersection, striking a pedestrian before crashing into the Dough Nut shop.

Luckily, no employees or customers were injured and the pedestrian he struck suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

“In his zeal to apprehend suspects he could have been more alert to his situation,” Porter said. “His intent was to try and arrest felons, not to try and better a personal agenda.”

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/12/29/oregon-cop-appealing-citation-for-driving-into-doughnut-shop/

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #3262 on: December 30, 2016, 03:02:00 AM »
The same organization that takes kids away from parents and can destroy lives.

North Carolina Foster Child Sues CPS Supervisor who Adopted Him, Only to Abuse Him

A North Carolina foster child, who was discovered by a sheriff’s deputy cuffed to a front porch with a dead chicken tied around his neck, filed a lawsuit last month against the Child Protective Services worker who adopted him, only for her and her boyfriend to spend several years abusing him.

“A lot of times I would bleed. Sometimes they wouldn’t clean it up. Sometimes, they didn’t care, they just left it bleeding,” the boy revealed in an interview with the Huffington Post, adding that his former foster parents never called for medical help despite enduring severe injuries like a broken wrist while attempting to escape the chains of the abusive home.

Wanda Sue Larson was a Gaston County Social Services CPS Supervisor when she adopted the boy at the age of four in 2006. The boy, now 14, is referred to as “J.G.” in the lawsuit, which can be read the embed below.

Larson’s boyfriend, Dorian Lee Harper, reportedly tied the dead bird around J.G.’s neck after he killed it at the 5-acre farm where they lived. J.G.’s lawsuit claims Larson never intervened and allowed it to happen.

Investigators say Larson submitted false statements in order to manipulate the “process and substance” of the legal hearing determining J.G.’s custody, manipulating the juvenile courts into removing the child from his biological mother, Maria Harris, by deceiving the juvenile court judge overseeing the case.

Harris regained custody of her son in 2015 after the information about Larson came to light.

In 2006, Larson had used her position as a department supervisor to manipulate the courts to terminate Harris’ parental rights. She also required subordinates to conduct post-removal assessments to qualify the child’s status for funding as well her qualifications so she could adopt him.

North Carolina pays foster parents at least $432 a month for each child, which increases with disabilities. Larson had five foster children in her custody.

The end of J.G.’s abuse finally began in 2013 when Union County Sheriff Deputy Robert Rucker responded to a call about a hog that escaped a farm and had been running loose through the community.

While searching for the hog running amok, Rucker approached Larson’s farm house where he found J.G. handcuffed to a railing on the porch. He also discovered the child would be regularly chained to a railroad tie in his room.

And he discovered J.G., along with four other foster children, were living in “shocking conditions” inside the CPS supervisor’s home where she allowed her boyfriend free reign of abuse against the children.

A further investigation revealed Harper would also starve “J.G.” and tie his ankle to a railroad tie, cut his face knife as well as burn his face with electric wire.

Harper remains in prison after he pleaded guilty to being the primary abuser of J.G. and was sentenced to six to 10 years of hard time.

In 2015, Larson was given time served for 17 months in prison after she pleaded guilty for her role in J.G.’s abuse, so she is no longer incarcerated.

“I want to do whatever it takes to get her back in jail,” J.G. told WBTV. “Cause she deserves to be in jail for a long, long time.”

Financial Incentives

In addition to monetary assistance provided by the federal government for adoptive parents to assist with the costs raising adopted children, local CPS departments across the country receive thousands in federal funding.

Each CPS department’s budget is based on how many children social workers remove from the custody of their families to place in foster care, which is viewed as a Fourth Amendment violation by most parents who have their children removed.

The incentives increase significantly for foster parents and departments if a child is determined to have special needs through federal title IV-E adoption assistance.

Others criticize removal-based incentives saying they corrupt departments by driving their focus towards the bottom line instead of protecting children, resulting in department supervisors driving subordinates initially drawn to the job to protect children to lie about abuse that’s not occurring, removing them from their families to generate money for the department instead.

Others add the incentives provide no reason for departments to work to keep families together, but rather motivate supervisors to push for removals.

The annual total of child removals is tallied up to determine the department’s budget for the following year as Orange County CPS Director Michael Riley explains to a civil rights attorney in the video deposition below regarding the case of former Miss California Deanna Fogarty, who had lost her parental rights in 2000 after social workers engaged in a”pervasive pattern of lies and extensive cover-up” to justify removing her daughters.

Do Social Workers Have A Right to Lie?

An Orange County jury found social workers Marcie Vreeken and Helen Dwojak were liable for the “unconstitutional removal and continued detention” ajnd warrantless removal of her daughters, who were nine and six at the time, awarding Fogarty $4.8 million for violating her right to parent her children.

Attorneys for Orange County appealed the jury’s ruling.

Although they did not contest to the jury’s finding the social workers had lied to remove Fogarty’s two daughters, attorneys argued the decision should be overturned because while the social worker’s deceptive statements to the court might have been ethically wrong, they were not illegal because no prior court ruling had been established against social workers lying to the court in order to remove children.

They also argued that Vreeken and Dwojak were protected by qualified immunity from liability in federal court unless Fogarty could prove the social workers’ lies violated her Constitutional rights.

But that argument fell flat with the judges hearing the case, who upheld the jury’s decision, boosting Orange County’s payout to $10.6 million after attorney’s fees for fighting the appeal were added up, which is the most expensive case ever paid by Orange County, according to the Orange County Register.

“How in the world could a person in the shoes of your clients possibly believe that it was appropriate to use perjury and false evidence?” 9th Circuit of Appeals Judge Stephen Trott asked.

“How could they possibly not be in notice that you can’t do that?  You mean due process is somehow consistent with a government worker introducing perjured testimony and false evidence? I can’t even believe for a microsecond that a caseworker wouldn’t understand you can’t lie and put in false evidence.”

The $10.6 awarded in Fogarty-Hardwick also resulted in a steep increase in liability claims cost for Orange County.

“It was pretty amazing. They succeed in taking a $5 million award and doubling it for us,” Shawn McMillan, the civil rights attorney who represented Fogarty, told the Register.

“In my view, the taxpayers in Orange County should be pissed. This never should have gone this far.”

In November, a jury awarded Lina Duval, who is also represented by McMillan, $3.1 million for “malice, oppression, and fraud” for the unwarranted removal of her 15-month old son, who was also taken without a warrant.

“The law is very clear and the social workers get training on this, you can not seize a child from its parents unless there’s an emergency.”

According to McMillan, an emergency would be exigent circumstances that pose a significant risk of death or serious bodily harm in the half hour or so it would take social workers to get a warrant from a judge in an abuse case that would warrant seizing a child.

However, that fact isn’t widely known due to the secret nature of juvenile courts, which are not open to the public to protect the minors in involved.

“The basic purpose espoused by the legislature, and the courts is protection of the child’s privacy,” McMillan told PINAC during an interview.

“In the vast majority of the cases I review, secrecy only protects the workers from liability.”

Marcie Vreeken, one of the two social workers named responsible for committing judicial deception, was promoted to a supervisor position.

In 2013, Vreeken earned $103,441.48, according to the OC Register.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2016/12/21/north-carolina-foster-child-sues-cps-supervisor-who-adopted-him-only-to-abuse-him/

You know, a lot of people in the PizzaGate investigation have come to the conclusion that this is how the pedophiles in govt. get their prey.

It's really hard to explore this lead though for online sleuths
a

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3263 on: January 01, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »
Please read the following, it is horrifying. These uniformed criminal goons covered up horrific child abuse (so brutal that the child died) and got away with no criminal charges.

L.A. sheriff's deputies disciplined after horrific torture death of 8-year-old boy

The death of 8-year-old Gabriel Fernandez became a grim symbol of the failure of Los Angeles County’s child welfare system, prompting criminal charges against four social workers and far-reaching reforms of how authorities oversee abused and neglected children. Gabriel’s mother and her boyfriend were charged with his murder.

But far less public scrutiny has been given to the role of L.A. County sheriff’s deputies who investigated Gabriel’s situation in the months before his 2013 death.

A Times review of grand jury testimony, child welfare records and recently filed court documents shows that deputies visited Gabriel’s home multiple times during the eight months prosecutors say he was being tortured and beaten. But the deputies found no signs of abuse and did not file paperwork that would have led specially trained detectives to do more investigating.

One deputy went to the boy’s Palmdale home after his teacher said he had been beaten with a belt. Another deputy, responding to a report that Gabriel was suicidal, left the home without examining or interviewing him.

When a security guard called to report that Gabriel had bruises on his face and what looked like cigarette burns all over his scalp, he was rebuffed by a sheriff’s deputy who screamed that a child being burned was not an emergency, according to court records. Another deputy who eventually went to check on the boy decided that the injuries were caused by a fall from a bicycle.

The department’s final investigation came a week before Gabriel’s death. A sheriff's deputy tried to find him after school officials reported that he had been absent for a long period and might be a victim of abuse. Gabriel's mother said that her son had moved to Texas, and the deputy soon halted the inquiry. In fact, Gabriel was still in Palmdale, being beaten with a bat, shot with a BB gun, starved, locked in a small box and forced to eat cat feces, according to prosecutors.

None of the nine deputies involved in Gabriel’s case have been criminally charged, and all still work for the Sheriff’s Department. But prosecutors said in court papers that some were disciplined internally.

The Sheriff’s Department declined to provide specifics, citing state laws preventing the disclosure of peace officer discipline.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-gabriel-fernandez-sheriffs-deputies-20161222-story.html

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #3264 on: January 03, 2017, 02:09:25 PM »
Fuck... what a total failure to hold those people accountable. One officer missing the signs? Plausible. Two? Well, maybe. But when you have multiple people reporting things and multiple officers brushing it off, then something is fucking wrong.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3265 on: January 06, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
How about the cops paying out of their pockets and spending a few years in prison instead of sending the bill to the taxpayers?

Florida Cops Keep Innocent Man in Jail for Eight Months, Resulting in $150,000 Settlement

Dmitry Lyubimov, left, was jailed for 8 months because police said he looked like the man on the right, Justin White.

The Fort Lauderdale police department got it wrong when they arrested the wrong man thinking he was a burglary suspect.

But the Florida police department still kept him in jail for eight months for the crime he did not commit.

Dmitry Lyubimov was not released until authorities finally acknowledged that they lacked physical and DNA evidence.

Now the city has reached a wrongful arrest settlement of $150,000 with the 26-year-old man.

Lyubimov was minding his own business on the streets of Fort Lauderdale when he was arrested by police in July 2011, the South Florida Sun Sentinel reports.

Police claimed Lyubimov matched the description of the real suspect, Justin White. Both are pictured above with Lyubimov on the left.

A 911 call was made because White was walking on someone’s property with a gun. Officers Jesus Gonzalez and Felicia Barnwell responded to the scene and tried to stop White, who then fled on a stolen scooter.

White ditched his scooter, then hopped over a fence, leaving only his hat behind.

As the officers searched the streets for him, they came across Lyubimov, who was dressed in similar attire, mistaking him for White, and arresting him.

Lyubimov denied the allegations. And his phone records even showed that he was on the phone with his girlfriend during the police chase.

But authorities did not buy it.

“So with cops still chasing me I am dialing my girlfriend and talking to her for 25 min instead of thinking how to escape police,” he wrote while in jail in 2011.

“It don’t make no sense. I am just frustrated with all this. It all is like a bad dream or [something]. OK, hopefully it will end soon,”

The scooter that the real suspect had left behind was tested for fingerprints days after the incident, but they did not match Lyubimov’s fingerprints.

It was not until seven months after Lyubimov’s arrest that a DNA examination on the hat White left behind proved that Lyubimov was not the man who fled from them.

Lyubimov’s attorney Hugh Koerner had this to say:

“It’s their self-assuredness and their refusal to believe that they could be wrong that failed them. They have a responsibility not just to apprehend criminals, but to protect the innocent.”

Lyubimov filed suit swiftly after being released from jail. The $150,000 settlement was reached this week.

Even Fort Lauderdale Vice Mayor Dean Trantalis weighed in saying, “I think this is a terrible tragedy that was perpetrated on this individual [Dmitry Lyubimov], because of their incomplete investigation and their refusal to recognize basic facts.”

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2017/01/05/florida-cops-keep-innocent-man-in-jail-for-eight-months-resulting-in-150000-settlement/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3266 on: January 06, 2017, 10:39:41 AM »
Autistic Teen, Raided, Strip Searched, & Jailed for Drawing a Superhero with a Flaming Hand in Class

MANHATTAN (CN) — For more than two years, a New Jersey high school has tried to fend off allegations that it overreacted to the doodle drawn by an autistic student days after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook.
A new ruling guarantees that federal litigation over the episode will continue into 2017.

The ordeal began, the Jones family says, at Cedar Creek High School in Egg Harbor City, N.J., on Dec. 14, 2012 – three days after America suffered the second deadliest shooting in modern history at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.

With tensions on high alert, Cedar Creek geometry teacher Megan Hallman sent Kevin Jones Jr. to the vice-principal’s office because out of concern over the “spaceman” she saw the 17-year-old drawing.
Jones’ parents say that their son filled his sketchbook with drawings like these to help him cope with the symptoms of Asperger’s syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Moreover the school noted this in its individual education plan for Jones as a disabled student.

After vice-principal Michael McGhee looked through Jones’ sketchbook, however, he called the police. The Jones say McGhee had been alarmed by a different doodle – this one depicting a superhero wearing a glove with a flame coming out of it.

Jones wound up doing a 17-day stint in juvenile detention that Christmas.

The family says a bomb squad that rummaged through their home mistook science-project materials for explosive-device components, and that the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office charged Jones with possession of a destruction device and attempting to possess a weapon.

On his way to the Harborfield Juvenile Detention Center, Jones was strip- and cavity-searched.
image: http://pixel.watch/qut7

The family filed suit in 2014 after Jones was acquitted at a criminal trial.

U.S. District Judge Robert Kugler ruled on Dec. 30 to the school’s representatives and the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office.
The 22-page unpublished decision does, however, dismiss the New Jersey Department of Education and individual prosecutors from the case.
Julie Warshaw, an attorney for the Jones family, declined to comment.

The Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office and a lawyer for the school did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/autistic-teen-raided-strip-searched-jailed-drawing-superhero-flame-hands-class/

http://www.courthousenews.com/2014/01/13/64455.htm

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3267 on: January 08, 2017, 03:49:10 PM »
Shooting an innocent man 14 times? No problem!

Accountability? Ha!

Now pay up you filthy plebs, cops won't allow any money to be taken out of their pockets!

Taxpayers Hit For $4.4mn After Cops Shot Innocent Food Delivery Man 14 Times — Cops NOT Fired

Philadelphia, PA — (RT) The city of Philadelphia has reached a $4.4 million settlement with a black deliveryman which 2 officers say they mistakenly shot 14 times leaving him with permanent injuries and a seizure disorder.

The settlement represents the largest in a police shooting incident  in the city’s history, Philly.com reports, citing Philadelphia Law Department records.

The settlement dates back to an incident in 2014 when then 20-year-old Philippe Holland was working as food delivery man. He had just dropped off a hamburger at a house when he was confronted by two plainclothes police officers.

During sworn testimony, Hollande said that when he saw the two officers, Mitchell Farrell and Kevin Hanvey approaching him, he thought he was about to get robbed. He got into his car on the passenger side to try and get away when one of the men shined a flashlight into the car while the other held a gun.

Philly.com say that Farrell and Hanvey were investigating reports of gunshots in the area.

Spotting the gun, Hollande panicked and attempted to drive away only for the cops to fire 14 bullets into his vehicle, wounding him in the head and chest. Hollande said Farrell and Hanvey never identified themselves as police officers. He has undergone extensive surgery and has been left with a permanent seizure disorder.

“This settlement will not only compensate an innocent citizen who suffered devastating injuries but also served as a catalyst for significant reforms in the way our communities are policed by plainclothes officers,” Holland’s attorney Tom Kline told NBC 10.

“We will strive to ensure that tragedies such as this do not happen again in our city,” Philadelphia City Solicitor Sozi Pedro Tulante said in a statement. Following the incident, the City said that plainclothes officers will undergo new training on identifying themselves and showing their badges.

City prosecutors never filed charges against the two officers who have been on desk duty since the shooting.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/deliveryman-wrongly-shot-cops-settlement/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3268 on: January 08, 2017, 03:51:51 PM »
Man Kidnapped and Caged for Days After Cops Mistake Kitty Litter for Meth

Houston, TX — Ross LeBeau, of Houston, was recently cleared of drug charges after he was arrested for possession of Methamphetamine. It turns out that LeBeau was actually in possession of kitty litter, not meth. However, this made no difference to the cops who kidnapped and caged him for it.

Considering that there was nearly a half pound of the substance in his vehicle, the police thought that they had conducted the bust of the century. They even put out a press release with LeBeau’s mugshot to brag about the bust, after two faulty field tests determined that the substance was crystal meth. While LeBeau spent 3 days in jail, the kitty litter was sent to a forensics lab for further testing, and it was ultimately discovered that the substance was not meth.

“They thought they had the biggest bust in Harris County. This was the bust of the year for them,” LeBeau said.
“I was wrongly accused. I’m going to do everything in my power to clear my name,” he added.

Attorney George Reul pointed out that the department’s entire field testing system may be compromised.

“Ultimately it might be bad testing equipment that they need to re-evaluate,” attorney George Reul said.

Cases like this are nothing new, in fact, we report on them on a regular basis.

According to the national litigation and public policy organization, the Innocence Project, at any given time there are an estimated 40,000 to 100,000 innocent people currently locked in cages in U.S. prisons.
Couple this staggering number with the number of people locked up for non-violent drug possession and the United States looks more like the Gulag of the 1930’s than the Land of the Free.

But how can so many innocent people be locked up, how does the state present evidence, that it doesn’t have, to get a conviction? Well, the folks at the largest marijuana policy reform organization in the U.S., Marijuana Policy Project, made a short video that explains just how easy it is for police to turn an entirely innocent person into a criminal.

During the short video below, the researchers demonstrate how easy it is for police to generate a false positive during a field test for drugs.

The group tests over the counter Tylenol PM in a police test kit for cocaine — the test kit says the Tylenol is cocaine.

The group also tests the most popular chocolate in the world, Hershey’s chocolate, for marijuana, it also tests positive.

Perhaps the most disturbing test was when the group put absolutely nothing into the field test kit, and they received a positive result.

The implications associated with wrongfully accusing and then claiming to have evidence of an individual in possession of an illegal substance are formidable — to say the least. Most people are simply unaware of the fact that police test kits are a crapshoot.

According to Forensic Resources:
The director of a lab recognized by the International Association of Chiefs of Police for forensic science excellence has called field drug testing kits “totally useless” due to the possibility of false positives. In laboratory experiments, at least two brands of field testing kits have been shown to produce false positives in tests of Mucinex, chocolate, aspirin, chocolate, and oregano.
In spite of these recommendations and multiple examples of innocent people being incarcerated for their error, police departments across the country continue to employ the use of these “totally useless” kits.

On May 8 of this year, Gale Griffin and her husband Wendall Harvey, who’ve been driving trucks together for the last seven years were wrongfully charged with possession of cocaine. They were targeted by incompetent cops who used criminally ineffective drug test kits on a white powdery substance found inside the couple’s truck. The kit identified the substance as cocaine. But it was not cocaine. It was baking soda Griffin used for stomach problems. However, they were caged for months while the reckless cops ignored their pleas of innocence.

Also this year, Alexander Bernstein of Brooklyn was jailed and had his life ruined after cops mistook soap for cocaine.

Wenonah resident John Cokos recently settled a lawsuit against the Gloucester County police department for $35,000. The lawsuit comes after an arrest for drug possession because the officer claimed that his crackers were crack rocks.

In October, college student John Harrington was thrown in prison after police, with one of these field drug test kits, tested sugar, and came up with a false positive for cocaine.
“Really, I’m really in jail right now for powdered sugar, ” John Harrington thought after it happened.

We’ve also seen the case in which police mistook Jolly Ranchers for meth and jailed an innocent man. Love Olatunijojo, 25, and an unidentified friend purchased Jolly Ranchers at the It’Sugar candy emporium in Coney Island in June of 2013. Several blocks away, cops stopped and searched the friends and mistook the candies for crystal meth. Olatunijojo was then thrown in jail.

In August, we reported on the story of a man who was held in prison for over four months because police falsely identified salt as crystal meth.
And the list goes on…

What does it say about police departments across the country who knowingly use test kits that will implicate innocent people in a crime that they did not commit that will land them in jail?

It is bad enough that the state will kidnap, cage and kill people when they possess a substance deemed illegal by the state. But, when they kidnap, cage and kill people because of their own negligence involved in testing someone’s personal items — they stoop to an entirely new low.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/man-spends-3-days-in-jail-after-cops-mistake-kitty-litter-for-crystal-meth/

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #3269 on: January 08, 2017, 05:35:56 PM »

Looks like Justin's GF forgot to tell him she was on her period before he went down on her.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3270 on: January 10, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
Cop Arrested for Using Police PC to Post ‘Bestiality’ Video Of Himself Raping Small Dog

Houston, TX — Harris County Sheriff’s deputy Andrew C. Sustaita Jr. is due in court this week to face some truly disturbing charges. The six-year veteran of the Harris County Sheriff’s Office is accused of raping a small dog, taking the video, and then posting the video online with a police department computer. So far, the only crime that Sustaita is charged with is obscenity, a felony. However, it is possible that he will receive more charges after appearing in court.

Surprisingly, Sustaita was fired immediately after the arrest, so the evidence against him must be substantial. Otherwise, the department would have delayed his termination.

The Sheriff’s Office High Tech Crime Unit was tipped off that video of a man raping a small dog was posted from a police department account. Eventually, Sustaita was named as the suspect, but the Harris County Sheriff’s Office has refused to release any details or comment further on the case.

Sheriff Ed Gonzalez had only this to say on behalf of the department:
“The possession of obscene and illicit material is made even more troubling when a Sheriff’s Office employee is found to be involved. Every resource of this office will be dedicated to protecting the public and holding our employees accountable for wrongdoing.”

The deputy comes from a law enforcement family, and they say they are waiting for more information. His father says he is devastated to hear this allegation, and that his son is a hard worker and he is reacting like any father would.

Despite the heinous crime of which he is allegedly responsible, many mainstream media sources felt the need to mention that they interviewed one of his friends who told them that he was “an honorable and committed family man.”

Would a news source ever consider printing such a thing about a person filming themselves having sex with a dog if the suspect did not work for the government in the capacity of a police officer?

When cops kill innocent people, local news stations, with the help of police, are quick to dredge up whatever mistakes they’ve made in the past to assassinate that person’s character in an attempt to downplay the killing. The glaring difference is insulting, to say the least.

Oddly enough, this is not an isolated incident. Robert Melia Jr. was sworn to protect and serve, but a Burlington County jury found he abandoned that oath when he and his former girlfriend filmed themselves repeatedly molesting teenagers. During the investigation, it was discovered that Melia had also filmed himself having sex with multiple cows.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-arrested-bestiality-video-raping-small-dog/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3271 on: January 11, 2017, 01:13:28 AM »
South Florida Deputy Suspended for Leaking Video of Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooting to TMZ

A Florida deputy was suspended Tuesday for allegedly leaking a video of the man opening fire at Fort Lauderdale airport last week to TMZ, a news site known to pay big money for videos that will go viral.

Broward County sheriff’s deputy Michael Dingman is believed to have used his cell phone to record an airport security monitor showing shooter Esteban Santiago opening fire inside the airport terminal.

His own reflection from the airport monitor that ended up on the leaked video is what gave him away.

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Dingman surrendered his badge and patrol car as part of his suspension. He’s alleged to have disclosed or used confidential criminal justice information, according to an internal affairs memo. The memo also alleges Dingman did not use proper discretion and that his conduct was unbecoming of a deputy.

Officials think someone used a cellphone to tape the footage of shooting suspect Esteban Santiago as he pulled a gun from his waistband at the Terminal 2 baggage carousel and began firing on Friday. Five people died in the ambush and six were wounded.

FBI and county investigators have been enhancing the video because they were seeing a person’s image reflected in the glass of the security monitor, Broward Mayor Barbara Sharief said.

The TMZ website is known to pay thousands to sources for videos of high-interest topics.

Dingman, 46, who has worked for the Broward County Sheriff’s Office for 21 years, works out of Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.

In 2015, he had an annual salary of $72,735, but made $117,280 with overtime and special detail payments.

He was also reprimanded last year for using a law enforcement database to access the personal information of Florida State Trooper Donna “Jane” Watts in 2011.

Watts was the trooper who earned the ire of cops throughout the state after having the gall to pull over a speeding Miami police officer in 2011 in an incident recorded on her dash cam.

Watts ended up suing several agencies, including the Broward County Sheriff’s Office, which paid her a $6,000 settlement.

The leaked video is included in the news report below. Here is a list of videos and the amount TMZ paid for them compiled by Business Insider.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2017/01/10/south-florida-deputy-suspended-for-leaking-video-of-fort-lauderdale-airport-shooting-to-tmz/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3272 on: January 12, 2017, 11:37:50 AM »
Some taste of justice: the little pussy fainted when his assets were seized after refusing to pay.. Still was not punished sufficiently. They should've gone after the Sheriff too.

South Florida Deputy Faints Upon Reading Court Order Seizing Personal Assets After Sheriff Refuses to Pay Settlement to Man Left Paralyzed

A South Florida deputy who left a man paralyzed after confusing a cell phone for a gun had his personal items seized Saturday, including his car, clothes, television, furniture, golf clubs, fishing rods and computer, after his agency refused to pay the victim $200,000 – a fraction of the $22.4 million a federal jury awarded him last year.

Federal marshalls seized Palm Beach County sheriff’s deputy Adams Lin under court order after Sheriff Ric Bradshaw refused to pay a dime towards the settlement.

According to the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

Lin read the court order, became visibly shaken, and fainted, collapsing to the ground, Scarola said.

Paramedics were called and when Lin recovered, he sat on a sheriff’s squad car and watched movers load up his belongings and “empty out virtually everything,” Scarola said.

Left behind: anything obviously belonging to his daughter, Scarola said.

Among the items taken: his car, couch, coffee tables, end tables, lamps, his collection of Samurai swords, flatscreen TV, iron, ironing board, computer, golf clubs, bicycle, tools, and almost all of his non-Sheriff’s Office clothing, Scarola said.[

“I don’t think we took any shoes and I don’t think we took any underwear,” Scarola said. But “shirts and pants and shorts are all gone, jackets.”

“We left behind cups and saucers and dishes,” he said. “There’s nothing of any significant value in those.”

The shooting took place on September 13, 2013 after Lin spotted 19-year-old Dontrell Stephens riding his bicycle in what he described as a “high-crime area,” which was Stephen’s poverty-stricken neighborhood.

Lin also said Stephens rode his bike from the left side of a residential street to the right side of the street without using a marked crosswalk, which made him even more suspicious.

Dash cam video from Lin’s patrol car shows Stephens step off his bicycle with a cell phone in his hand after the deputy pulled up behind him.

Stephens then steps out of frame for a few seconds, which was when Lin opened fire on him, shooting him four times, claiming he was in fear for his life because the teen was “reaching for his waistband.”

“There’s nothing in the rules of engagement that says we have to put our lives in jeopardy to wait and find out what this is and get killed,” Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told reporters the day of the shooting.

But that was before the video was released, which showed the only person whose life was in jeopardy was Stephens.

Lin, of course, was cleared of any wrongdoing, and was promoted to sergeant after the shooting. And Stephens, who was then confined to a wheelchair, filed a federal lawsuit.

In February 2016, a federal jury watched the video and deliberated for three-and-a-half hours before awarding Stephens $22.4 million.

However, because Florida law places a $200,000 cap on such settlements, the matter needed to go before the legislature before Stephens could be awarded the full amount.

But because that may never happen, Stephen’s attorneys asked Sheriff Bradshaw to pay $200,000 towards the settlement, but the sheriff refused, filing an appeal.

A magistrate judge upheld the verdict in May 2016, but the sheriff only vowed to appeal the verdict to a higher court, according to the Palm Beach Post.

A federal magistrate on Wednesday upheld a $22.4 million verdict against the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office in a 2013 shooting that left a 22-year-old West Palm Beach man paralyzed from the waist down.
In a 40-page opinion, U.S. Magistrate Barry Seltzer rejected claims by the sheriff’s office that the February verdict was so excessive that it “shocked the conscience of the court.”

Comparing it to other jury verdicts in cases where people were left paralyzed by the fault of the others, Seltzer found that the amount was reasonable.

“Stephens lost use of his lower extremities, lost control of his bowel, lost control of his bladder, lost his sexual function and suffers constant and severe pain,” Seltzer wrote. Further, given his young age and his life expectancy, Stephens will have to live in that condition for more than 50 years.

Quoting a decision in another case, Seltzer wrote: “Put simply, the enormity of the award is matched by the enormity of the plaintiff’s damages.”

In addition to refusing to award Stephens less money, Seltzer turned down the sheriff’s request for a new trial.

Because the sheriff did not want to pay Stephens anything, the judge allowed federal marshals to seize his personal belongings to auction them off to help pay for the victim’s medical and living expenses.

Stephens’ attorney tried to garner the deputy’s wages, but because more than 50 percent of his salary goes towards his daughter, he is exempt from having his salary garnished.

https://photographyisnotacrime.com/2017/01/11/federal-marshals-seize-florida-deputys-personal-assets-after-sheriff-refuses-to-pay-settlement-for-man-left-paralyzed-in-wrongful-shooting/

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #3273 on: January 12, 2017, 11:07:54 PM »
FL Firefighter Who Answered Door With Gun Cleared Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

In March of last year, Miami-Dade Fire Captain Nick Marian of Miami Shores, Florida, answered a knock at his door and the ringing of his doorbell. He lives in a rough part of town, and came to the door with a shotgun in hand. Police say they saw him pick up a shotgun from his couch and answer the door.

Prosecutors contended that he pointed the shotgun at the police officers for “more than a second” and that he knew that it was police officers at his door. His defense was that he had the right to protect himself, his actions were reasonable and prudent, and he had immunity under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law. Captain Marian’s arguments won the day.

From nbcmiami.com:

A judge dropped charges Wednesday against a Miam-Dade Fire captain who was arrested for pointing a gun at a police officer.

Nicholas Marian, 55, was granted Stand Your Ground immunity in a bizarre encounter with a Miami Shores police officer. Fellow firefighters who had been rallying behind Marian were at the courthouse celebrating the ruling.

The entire process, from the incident to the judge dismissing the charges took nine months. Prosecutors had charged the fire captain with aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer. The judge ruled otherwise.

Bringing a gun to the door is prudent in numerous circumstances. It’s difficult to know if someone at your door is a police officer or not. Many criminals facilitate their crimes by yelling “Police!” during home invasions.

In this case, it only took a few seconds for the fire captain to determine that the people at his door were police officers. When he did, he cooperated.

The idea that citizens have to disarm themselves because someone at the door might be a police officer is repugnant to the rule of law.

This incident had a better outcome than the Gabriel Mobley case. Mobley was in the courts for six years before he was finally cleared.  That case went all the way to the Florida Supreme Court before Mobley was finally vindicated in 2014.

Perhaps the judge hearing the case against Marian referenced the supreme court ruling in favor of Mobley.

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/dean-weingarten/stand-ground-immunity-firefighter-answered-door-gun-hand/

illuminati

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The Strongest Shall Survive.- - Lest we Forget.
« Reply #3274 on: January 13, 2017, 11:15:23 PM »
FL Firefighter Who Answered Door With Gun Cleared Under ‘Stand Your Ground’ Law

In March of last year, Miami-Dade Fire Captain Nick Marian of Miami Shores, Florida, answered a knock at his door and the ringing of his doorbell. He lives in a rough part of town, and came to the door with a shotgun in hand. Police say they saw him pick up a shotgun from his couch and answer the door.

Prosecutors contended that he pointed the shotgun at the police officers for “more than a second” and that he knew that it was police officers at his door. His defense was that he had the right to protect himself, his actions were reasonable and prudent, and he had immunity under Florida’s “Stand Your Ground” law. Captain Marian’s arguments won the day.

From nbcmiami.com:

A judge dropped charges Wednesday against a Miam-Dade Fire captain who was arrested for pointing a gun at a police officer.

Nicholas Marian, 55, was granted Stand Your Ground immunity in a bizarre encounter with a Miami Shores police officer. Fellow firefighters who had been rallying behind Marian were at the courthouse celebrating the ruling.

The entire process, from the incident to the judge dismissing the charges took nine months. Prosecutors had charged the fire captain with aggravated assault of a law enforcement officer. The judge ruled otherwise.

Bringing a gun to the door is prudent in numerous circumstances. It’s difficult to know if someone at your door is a police officer or not. Many criminals facilitate their crimes by yelling “Police!” during home invasions.

In this case, it only took a few seconds for the fire captain to determine that the people at his door were police officers. When he did, he cooperated.

The idea that citizens have to disarm themselves because someone at the door might be a police officer is repugnant to the rule of law.

This incident had a better outcome than the Gabriel Mobley case. Mobley was in the courts for six years before he was finally cleared.  That case went all the way to the Florida Supreme Court before Mobley was finally vindicated in 2014.

Perhaps the judge hearing the case against Marian referenced the supreme court ruling in favor of Mobley.

©2016 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/dean-weingarten/stand-ground-immunity-firefighter-answered-door-gun-hand/

;) Hooray at last a bit of sensible thinking by that judge!!
Great News.