Author Topic: Science vs the Bible  (Read 15614 times)

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: Science vs the Bible
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:29 AM »
THIS is you.... ;)

carpe` vaginum!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2010, 07:18:33 AM »
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:24 AM »
ahem your #14 is incorrect.  I have 2 degrees and possibly thinking of a third, also never claimed to disprove any god.  It's hard to have a civil conversation when someone distorts statements.  #17 was spot on though.

;D

theonlyone

« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:59 AM »
   Jesus! #14 wasn't about you Migs. It was about the one who already has 3 degrees and possibly thinking about the 4'th! th th th th th th th th th. You're a God's slave!

IF you knew that you do believe in God then you would be believing. But since you still don't know that you do believe in God then you do not believe.

Fedor Dostoevskiy

I think it was translated correct

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 01:37:42 PM »
  Jesus! #14 wasn't about you Migs. It was about the one who already has 3 degrees and possibly thinking about the 4'th! th th th th th th th th th. You're a God's slave!

IF you knew that you do believe in God then you would be believing. But since you still don't know that you do believe in God then you do not believe.

Fedor Dostoevskiy

I think it was translated correct

and who would this be?

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 09:32:35 PM »
Personally I think the bold is few and far between...at least in free countries.

Why do you think that? Don't most people just tend to adopt the religious ideas of their parents? It need not be forceful but most people just believe what they are told since their youth, rather than investigating and finding answers on their own.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 09:38:25 PM »

Did you find out as to how Einstein doing since 1955? Your big bang theory, the observable universe is 93 billion light years across and so on explains nothing.
 Do you have kids? If they unexpectedly die today is it evolution, newton's laws, maxwell's equation or theory of relativity?
 Based on what you have written so far your iq level is a bit higher than TA has! TA is just attempting to sound enlightened or educated. He knows word combinations like multiverse and string theory and assuming naively religous people didn't hear about those.

You fail to make even a coherent argument, then claim intelligence. I don't know if you're trying to impress people but I doubt if anyone is.

Scientific theory does its best to explain the facts that we observe. As we find out more, it is improved. The big bang theory certainly isn't perfect, but right now in the scientific community, in those esoteric circle where people dedicate their lives to studying this stuff it is the most widely accepted view about how the universe has been created. It follows valid astronomical data.

I don't even understand the kids dying part nor will I try to. If you care to understand why people die, that is more a biological question and you are free to make your own investigations. The laws of physics you have listed are still always valid as usual.

Knives

• Getbig III
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:03 PM »
Knives, can you please give some empirical examples of this vs scripture?

This, I will never understand.  Why would anyone be afraid of obliteration?  If it's...one moment you are alive, the next you are non-existent, why is that scary?  You wouldn't know anything...you wouldn't be there right?  I don't understand the fear of obliteration.  

What things have been found that refute nature as being designed?

Does the "vast phenomena" ever astound you?

How do you think life originated?  

Well, the Genesis story doesn't hold much weight in any scientific community. There is no evidence for the flood. It is certainly not scientifically feasible to create a man from dirt and then a woman from his rib. There is also no evidence that Egyptians ever had Hebrew slaves. I could go on but I think the point is made.

Also of the fear of obliteration, most people I talk to find that very scary! Many want to think that they will continue to exist, in an after life, and that they will say deceased loved ones, etc, again. Of the people I talk to the greatest fear many have is death without an after life. I mean if it does happen that way it clearly wouldn't matter after one has been obliterated because he or she wouldn't be around to "feel" any type of thing, but that can still be a scary thought.

Things about nature not being designed: I am admittedly no expert, but according to physics/biology as we understand it today, most life today has come into being as a result of random mutations taking place in various molecules. Eventually complex organisms with genetic material were formed over billions of years and here we stand today. There is certainly much more to it, but generally a theory of random yet favorable mutations which create organisms capable of surviving to continue to reproduce can explain how we are here without a designer.

Finally, as I said before I'm simply a beginning grad student and I can't explain all of life's mysteries. I am going to be a research scientist so that I can do my own investigations into finding out how the world works. I don't claim to know everything about the universe and the life that inhabits it, but I like to keep learning more from ways that can be proven through science.  I like to be able to prove what I know and I can't take a mystic answer for anything. I admit that there are many things I don't know, and I will spend the rest of my life trying to learn what I can.

theonlyone

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 11:00:14 PM »
You fail to make even a coherent argument, then claim intelligence. I don't know if you're trying to impress people but I doubt if anyone is.

Scientific theory does its best to explain the facts that we observe. As we find out more, it is improved. The big bang theory certainly isn't perfect, but right now in the scientific community, in those esoteric circle where people dedicate their lives to studying this stuff it is the most widely accepted view about how the universe has been created. It follows valid astronomical data.

I don't even understand the kids dying part nor will I try to. If you care to understand why people die, that is more a biological question and you are free to make your own investigations. The laws of physics you have listed are still always valid as usual.

It's not about whether the big bang theory perfect or imperfect it's about that it proves nothing. i.e. what happens in an afterlife. The laws of physics either.
 Yeah people die, some unexpectedly, the scientists either. So if your whole family die in car crash tomorrow it is a biological question right? No one is guilty it's just a biological question? You're a mofo, you actually didn't answer questions.
 My english isn't perfect cause in real life I speak Russian. Learn some english, it doesn't make sense or you fail to make even a coherent argument don't impress me.

theonlyone

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »
Well, the Genesis story doesn't hold much weight in any scientific community. There is no evidence for the flood. It is certainly not scientifically feasible to create a man from dirt and then a woman from his rib. There is also no evidence that Egyptians ever had Hebrew slaves. I could go on but I think the point is made.

Also of the fear of obliteration, most people I talk to find that very scary! Many want to think that they will continue to exist, in an after life, and that they will say deceased loved ones, etc, again. Of the people I talk to the greatest fear many have is death without an after life. I mean if it does happen that way it clearly wouldn't matter after one has been obliterated because he or she wouldn't be around to "feel" any type of thing, but that can still be a scary thought.

Things about nature not being designed: I am admittedly no expert, but according to physics/biology as we understand it today, most life today has come into being as a result of random mutations taking place in various molecules. Eventually complex organisms with genetic material were formed over billions of years and here we stand today. There is certainly much more to it, but generally a theory of random yet favorable mutations which create organisms capable of surviving to continue to reproduce can explain how we are here without a designer.

Finally, as I said before I'm simply a beginning grad student and I can't explain all of life's mysteries. I am going to be a research scientist so that I can do my own investigations into finding out how the world works. I don't claim to know everything about the universe and the life that inhabits it, but I like to keep learning more from ways that can be proven through science.  I like to be able to prove what I know and I can't take a mystic answer for anything. I admit that there are many things I don't know, and I will spend the rest of my life trying to learn what I can.

It is certainly not scientifically feasible to create a man from dirt and then a woman from his rib

When those been created were you a witness?

There is no evidence for the flood

Is there any scientific proof that there was no flood! As a world wide accepted fact? There is no evidence of the soon death of yours but no evidence doesn't prove it will not happen/or didn't happen...

Knives, you a wanna be scientist and be in their community idiot. Did any scientist prove what happens in an afterlife or is just a lights out? Is that possible to extract Einsten from the places he abides since 1955?

A theory of random yet favorable mutations.

That's really interesting. Einstein is a random yet favorable molecule mutation and so is Ms. America either. Hitler is not that successful molecule mutation right? Though it doesn't say anything what happens in an afterlife and a myraid of other questions.

Now a question for you a wanna be scientist. I don't care for how much universes there are nor how big they are.
When the scientists make the man live forever? And since you're going to be a research scientist and unveil all life's mysteries as you say, please find out where does Hitler abide exactly hell or paradise? I can't fall asleep as the scientists do not give answer. Ok clown?

I highly recomend you to read "the IDIOT" by Dostoevskiy

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 06:49:08 AM »

Why do you think that? Don't most people just tend to adopt the religious ideas of their parents? It need not be forceful but most people just believe what they are told since their youth, rather than investigating and finding answers on their own.

I think that as children that yes, most tend to adopt the religious ideas of their parents...but once they are older and more able to think for themselves, many explore other belief systems and their minds may or may not change in regard to this.

This has been my experience anyway...many people I know grew up in a denomination they now reject....others were atheists and now are Christian.  As adults we tend to think for ourselves.  I suppose some have never explored other possibilities though and hold to the beliefs with which they were brought up...but like I said, in my experience they are few and far between.
R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 07:13:54 AM »
Well, the Genesis story doesn't hold much weight in any scientific community. There is no evidence for the flood.  There is also no evidence that Egyptians ever had Hebrew slaves. I could go on but I think the point is made.

As tony said previously "not proving the null does not prove the alternative."  Plus there have been threads here regarding both of those subjects w/information that might prove very interesting to you...when I have more time I will try to find them.

It is certainly not scientifically feasible to create a man from dirt and then a woman from his rib.

But we are talking about "God" that did this...not humans w/limited knowledge and power.

I'll never understand it being a scary thought.  Just like your last sentence states, "if it does happen that way it clearly wouldn't matter."

It's harder for me to believe that life as we know it, including vision, hearing, emotions, etc have all been resulting from random mutations than to believe we were designed this way...but people think differently of course.

And in regard to surviving to reproduce..... as a previous conversation on this board covered the fact that most species have to have "intercourse" w/another of the same kind to reproduce, would be a huge step backward.

I can really appreciate your approach...I think your mind is going to open even more to spiritual possibilities in your studies.  

Good "talking" w/you Knives :)
R

theonlyone

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »
 Don't buy Stella's sentiments Knives, you will break your neck in attempt to prove that there is no God. At least you can say that you've tried! It's not an insult buddy but rather a fact - you're a fake scientist as an american smile.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
As of yet the low iq non believers (a wanna be scientists) in their attempt to disprove God have come with the following!

low IQ....riiight

carpe` vaginum!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2010, 06:54:10 PM »
theonlyone has a closed mind and can't process alternative explanations, so he reverts to insults, jabs and misquotes.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
knives I know it may seem like a stretch to you but what if the Bible isnt a literal record of the events?

God created Adam(a single celled organism) he then created Eve from Adams rib(A-Sexual reproduction) this is likely how life began...

What I find interesting is that you feel you need proof to believe in God but you have no proof to disprove God but you believe him to not exist anyway...that is if I understand your stance correctly?

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

What I find interesting is that you feel you need proof to believe in God but you have no proof to disprove God but you believe him to not exist anyway...that is if I understand your stance correctly?

the burden of proof lies on someone claiming something extraordinary....not on someone that refuses to believe in the extraordinary
carpe` vaginum!

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
I see a lot of unbelievers here feel that science and the Christian Bible are at odds w/each other.

Other than the theory of (macro) evolution, what aspects of science do you feel are in opposition to the bible?

probably the bible never explains how god got created, he just exists??? 
TEAM Nasser

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2010, 12:04:16 AM »

24)?

do religious munkeys ever have an original thought or do they just copy and paste other peoples thoughts and plagiarize the bible?
carpe` vaginum!

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2010, 06:07:57 AM »
do religious munkeys ever have an original thought or do they just copy and paste other peoples thoughts and plagiarize the bible?

i think your question has been answered

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2010, 06:27:52 AM »
I see a lot of unbelievers here feel that science and the Christian Bible are at odds w/each other.

Other than the theory of (macro) evolution, what aspects of science do you feel are in opposition to the bible?

Age of the universe : ~15 billion (science) vs ~6,000 (bible)

There is no way the Earth is even remotely close to being 6 thousand years old.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2010, 07:02:18 AM »
Age of the universe : ~15 billion (science) vs ~6,000 (bible)

There is no way the Earth is even remotely close to being 6 thousand years old.

check this out

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_040524.html
carpe` vaginum!

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era

theonlyone

« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2010, 07:15:55 AM »
 Geekfreak word in word where exactly in the bible it is said that - the age of the Universe is 6000

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2010, 07:41:35 AM »
Geekfreak word in word where exactly in the bible it is said that - the age of the Universe is 6000

It is generally agreed upon with Biblical scholars and with various denominations. Genesis claims that everything came into being within 6 days, including man (Adam). In the New Testament, we learn that Adam is a great grandfather of many generations to Jesus (it is listed in its entirety in one of the first 4 books, I believe the book of John). From this, a ball park figure of no more than 4 thousand years is possible, add that Jesus died roughly 2 thousand years ago, and you get 6 thousand years.