Author Topic: Could Whistleblower Claims Strip Planned Parenthood of Government Funding?  (Read 63357 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Could Whistleblower Claims Strip Planned Parenthood of Government Funding?
« Reply #125 on: August 03, 2015, 05:15:29 PM »
Senate Blocks Republican Legislation Defunding Planned Parenthood
Monday, 03 Aug 2015

The Senate blocked a Republican drive Monday to terminate federal funds for Planned Parenthood, setting the stage for the GOP to try again this fall amid higher stakes — a potential government shutdown that could echo into next year's presidential and congressional elections.

The derailed legislation was the Republican response to videos, recorded secretly by anti-abortion activists, showing Planned Parenthood officials dispassionately discussing how they sometimes provide medical researchers with tissue from aborted fetuses. Those videos have led conservatives to accuse the group of illegally selling the organs for profit — strongly denied by Planned Parenthood — and inserted abortion and women's health into the mix of issues to be argued in the 2016 campaign.

Monday's mostly party-line vote was 53-46 to halt Democratic delays aimed at derailing the bill, seven short of the 60 votes Republicans needed. Even so, the GOP is hoping to reap political gains because the videos have ignited the party's core conservative, anti-abortion voters.

The fight is already creating heated talking points for Republican presidential candidates, who convene Thursday for their first debate of the 2016 campaign. Several of them, including Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Rand Paul of Kentucky, are calling for Congress to end Planned Parenthood's federal payments.

Longer term, GOP leaders are hoping that three congressional committees' investigations, plus several state probes and the expected release of additional videos, will produce evidence of Planned Parenthood wrongdoing and make it harder for Democrats to defend the organization. Planned Parenthood provides contraception, testing for sexually transmitted diseases and abortions in clinics from coast to coast.

Democrats were largely muted when the videos were first distributed, but their defense of Planned Parenthood has grown more robust. They sounded a theme Monday that they have employed in recent elections, characterizing the GOP drive as an assault on health care for women.

"It's our obligation to protect our wives, our sisters, our daughters, our granddaughters" from the GOP's "absurd policies," said Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev. "The Republican Party has lost its moral compass."

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., said Democrats should not protect Planned Parenthood's federal funds "just to protect some political group," an apparent reference to the organization's one-sided campaign contributions to Democratic candidates.

Republican Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa said, "The American taxpayer should not be asked to fund an organization like Planned Parenthood that has shown a sheer disdain for human dignity and complete disregard for women and their babies."

Ernst sponsored the measure as party leaders sought ways to blunt Democratic charges of GOP insensitivity to women.

The only senators to cross party lines were Democrats Joe Donnelly of Indiana and Joe Manchin of West Virginia, and Illinois Republican Mark Kirk, who faces a tough re-election fight next year. McConnell joined Democrats in voting to block the bill, a procedural move that allows him to force a fresh vote later. Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a presidential candidate, was in New Hampshire and didn't vote.

Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards said Monday's vote showed the bill was "a political non-starter." Tony Perkins, president of the ant-abortion Family Research Center, said Congress "must take the next step" and remove Planned Parenthood's funding when lawmakers return next month from summer recess.

The anti-abortion Center for Medical Progress has released four videos in which people posing as representatives of a company that purchases fetal tissue converse with Planned Parenthood officials. The videos have been especially controversial because of the casual descriptions by the Planned Parenthood officials of the abortion procedures they use to obtain tissue, and because they show close-ups of fetal organs in laboratories.

The center and some of its GOP supporters have said the videos show that Planned Parenthood sells the tissue for profit, which is illegal under federal law.

Planned Parenthood says the videos are selectively edited and that the organization only recovers costs of the procedures — which is legal — and only gives the tissue to researchers with a mother's advance consent and in fewer than five states.

Stung by past government shutdowns that voters have blamed on Republicans, GOP leaders have shown no interest in another one this fall. Federal agencies run out of money on Oct. 1, and Congress is tasked with passing legislation by then temporarily keeping the doors open until lawmakers and President Barack Obama can reach a longer-term agreement.

But it could be challenging for those Republican leaders to control their most conservative lawmakers, who are urged on by the party's anti-abortion activists. Rep. Mick Mulvaney, R-S.C., has said he expects to get several dozen signatures on a letter opposing any spending bill containing money for Planned Parenthood, and some GOP senators, including Cruz, Paul and others, have voiced similar sentiments.

The Republican measure calls for funneling Planned Parenthood's federal dollars to other providers of health care to women, including hospitals, state and local agencies and federally financed community health centers.

Republicans say that transfer would enable women to continue receiving the health care they need because Planned Parenthood's nearly 700 clinics are far outnumbered by other providers.

Planned Parenthood and Democrats contest that. They say many of the organization's centers are in areas with few alternatives for reproductive health care or for other services for the low-income women who comprise a majority of its clients.

Planned Parenthood receives more than $500 million yearly in government funds — including state payments — more than one-third of its annual $1.3 billion in revenue. Its annual report says it provides services for 2.7 million people annually, mostly women, with abortions accounting for 3 percent of its procedures.

By law, federal funds are already barred from being used for abortions except for cases of incest, rape or when a woman's life is in danger.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/senate-planned-parenthood-defund-fail/2015/08/03/id/665227/#ixzz3hnheXHOA

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #126 on: August 03, 2015, 07:18:24 PM »
No

what does that have to do with the facts of the videos?

Not attacking, I just like to see how certain situations may or may not be affected by their circumstances.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #127 on: August 03, 2015, 07:42:41 PM »
Pretty safe to say that libs are completely void of ANY morals. From abortion to racism, gay rights, transgendered, etc. no commonsense and definitely not knowing right from wrong.

hmmm....  but lots of 'exceptions' are okay, right?   ;)

Most sensible people will LOL at either party claiming moral superiority.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #128 on: August 03, 2015, 08:09:27 PM »

Not attacking, I just like to see how certain situations may or may not be affected by their circumstances.

I didn't think you were attacking I just don't get the relevance

there are millions of people who have children and support a womans right to choose and I'm sure there are millions who don't have kids and also oppose all abortion for any reason

there are probably also people who were once con and now pro and vice versa
just like there are plenty of religious types who are now atheist and likely many atheist who are now religious

You can likely say that about many topics

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #129 on: August 03, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
hmmm....  but lots of 'exceptions' are okay, right?   ;)

consider who you are talking to when making statements like that

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #130 on: August 04, 2015, 08:16:41 AM »
hmmm....  but lots of 'exceptions' are okay, right?   ;)

When I say libs are  completely void I really mean COMPLETELY VOID all the way from NAMBLA to abortion.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: August 04, 2015, 08:34:17 AM »
When I say libs are  completely void I really mean COMPLETELY VOID all the way from NAMBLA to abortion.

so all libs support sex with children?   or all pedos are liberal?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #132 on: August 04, 2015, 08:39:18 AM »
so all libs support sex with children?   or all pedos are liberal?

Really 240? are you arguing just to argue? You really think those are the only two issues? You're wasting my time.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: August 04, 2015, 09:10:03 AM »
Really 240? are you arguing just to argue? You really think those are the only two issues? You're wasting my time.

in a thread about abortion, you decided to call out libs for child sex crimes.  I found that odd.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #134 on: August 04, 2015, 11:37:40 AM »
 ::)

A Republican congressman has introduced legislation that cites two Bible verses as reasons the House of Representatives to should oppose same-sex marriage and block federal grants for Planned Parenthood.

The symbolic resolution, introduced by Rep. Walter Jones (NC) on July 29, calls on the House to “consider legislation to protect traditional marriage and prevent taxpayer funding of abortion.”

The resolution begins by stating that the United States is based on “Judeo-Christian principles” and notes that the “creator is explicitly mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.”

The resolution also says the Supreme Court “invalidated the wishes of States that prohibited same-sex marriage” in its historic Obergefell v. Hodges ruling in June. It goes on to accuse Planned Parenthood of killing “50,000,000 unborn children.”

Before demanding the House take up four bills related to abortion and LGBT rights, the resolution cites two Bible verses.

“Whereas in Jeremiah 1:5 the Bible reads ‘Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee.'; and Whereas in 1 Timothy 4:1–5 the Bible reads ‘Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils': Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives calls upon the Speaker to encourage committee chairs to schedule the following legislation for immediate committee consideration, then follow through with scheduling votes on the House floor if they are reported favorably by their respective committees.”

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #135 on: August 04, 2015, 11:49:48 AM »

A Republican congressman has introduced legislation that cites two Bible verses as reasons the House of Representatives to should oppose same-sex marriage and block federal grants for Planned Parenthood.

The symbolic resolution, introduced by Rep. Walter Jones (NC) on July 29, calls on the House to “consider legislation to protect traditional marriage and prevent taxpayer funding of abortion.”

The resolution begins by stating that the United States is based on “Judeo-Christian principles” and notes that the “creator is explicitly mentioned in the Declaration of Independence.”

The resolution also says the Supreme Court “invalidated the wishes of States that prohibited same-sex marriage” in its historic Obergefell v. Hodges ruling in June. It goes on to accuse Planned Parenthood of killing “50,000,000 unborn children.”

Before demanding the House take up four bills related to abortion and LGBT rights, the resolution cites two Bible verses.

“Whereas in Jeremiah 1:5 the Bible reads ‘Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee.'; and Whereas in 1 Timothy 4:1–5 the Bible reads ‘Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils': Now, therefore, be it Resolved, That the House of Representatives calls upon the Speaker to encourage committee chairs to schedule the following legislation for immediate committee consideration, then follow through with scheduling votes on the House floor if they are reported favorably by their respective committees.”

And?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: August 04, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »
And?

You obviously "just don't get it do you"?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #137 on: August 04, 2015, 01:16:16 PM »
You obviously "just don't get it do you"?

You (and the rest of the left) definately don't get it. The reason why they're (and anyone that supports them) are in fact moral losers, liars and thieves.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #138 on: August 04, 2015, 01:58:19 PM »
You (and the rest of the left) definately don't get it. The reason why they're (and anyone that supports them) are in fact moral losers, liars and thieves.

LOL @ the life long drug addict and 3 times divorced tire flipping dwarf trying to lecture anyone on morals

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #139 on: August 04, 2015, 02:11:57 PM »

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #140 on: August 04, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
There's a good chance these religious kooks behind the fraudulent Planned Parenthood videos broke multiple laws in the State of CA

http://rhrealitycheck.org/article/2015/07/28/exclusive-faces-fake-names-people-behind-planned-parenthood-attack-videos/
Exclusive: The Faces and Fake Names of People Behind Planned Parenthood Attack Videos
by Sharona Coutts, Vice President, Investigations and Research, RH Reality Check
and Sofia Resnick, Investigative Reporter, RH Reality Check
July 28, 2015 - 3:06 pm

Already, California Attorney General Kamala Harris has announced an investigation into the Center for Medical Progress. Her investigation seems to be geared toward whether the group violated any laws in connection with its registration with the state’s Registry of Charitable Trusts, but she also said her office would look at whether the group had committed “any violations of California law.”

According to a California criminal defense attorney, Michael Kraut, there is some reason to believe that Daleiden and his associates may have violated California and federal law on forgery, credit card fraud, and identity theft.

If Daleiden and his accomplices did in fact provide fake government ID cards, they could have violated California laws that prohibit forgery, fraud, and perjury, said Kraut whose firm, Kraut Law Group, represents defendants in Los Angeles and Orange counties.

It is illegal to forge the state government seal, as well as to obtain state driver’s licenses using false names, said Kraut, who worked as a deputy district attorney in Los Angeles and for the United States Attorney’s Office before starting his own practice. Both crimes can be charged as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on a range of circumstances. They are both easy for the prosecution to prove, added Kraut.

“A false seal is an easy prosecution because it either is or isn’t,” Kraut said. “And if they went to the DMV and got licenses under a false name, they’ve committed perjury. … That is very easy to prove, because one of the things they have to do in California is you have to fill out a document when you’re doing that, saying ‘I don’t have a license in any other name, and the name I’m using is my true and correct name.’ Each one would be a felonious statement.”

Prosecutors would have more difficulty charging Daleiden and his associates under California’s false impersonation statute if all they did was misrepresent themselves using fake names and fake business cards, Kraut said. Under California law, prosecutors must prove that a defendant deliberately used the identity of another and either directly benefited as a result or directly harmed that person in order to successfully convict on false impersonation charges.

In other words, if both Sarkis and Tennenbaum are fictional personas, then Daleiden and his operatives are unlikely to face charges of false impersonation.

However, another detail from the a/k/a Bistro video suggests Daleiden’s group may have gone beyond simply concocting identities, and might have co-opted the identity of a real person—one who shares the name of a California woman who went to the same elementary and high schools as the leader of this attack campaign.

Toward the end of the film, the woman who identifies herself as Susan can be seen removing a Bank of America card from her wallet, and using it to pay the bill.

Yet the name on the credit card is not Susan Tennenbaum, but rather, appears to be Brianna Allen.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: August 04, 2015, 04:48:43 PM »
I'm not claiming that they are or they aren't.  but the rhetoric in that video I believe should raise some eyebrows. 

I'm assuming you're pissed off at Hillary that she described these videos as "disturbing" right?

like I said before I don't think this is a big deal. 

and for the record I have always maintained that the fetus parts should be allowed to be sold.....at a profit.  It's not a human.  never was.  it's not human tissue.  However the mother's should be getting some of that profit.

Introducing profit would cause ethical problems I think.  Science needs to advance and we shouldn't have to go back to doctors digging up graves to learn.  What they can learn from studying a fetus can save countless lives in the future.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2015, 04:53:29 PM »
New Planned Parenthood Video Shows Selling of 'Intact Fetuses'

Image: New Planned Parenthood Video Shows Selling of 'Intact Fetuses' (Photo by Olivier Douliery/Getty Images)
By Loren Gutentag   |   Tuesday, 04 Aug 2015

The Center for Medical Progress, the anti-abortion group that has released recordings of Planned Parenthood officials discussing the harvesting and selling of organs of aborted babies, has released a fifth video that deals with using 'intact fetuses' and the organization's 'diversification of the revenue stream,' The Hill reports.

The video is "repulsive and unconscionable," said Texas Gov. Greg Abbott after the fifth video from the Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast clinic in Texas was released.

AP reports that footage shows people touring the clinic as they pretended to be from a company that procures fetal tissue for research.

Not only were the individuals shown recently collected fetuses, but the video also shows a Planned Parenthood official, Melissa Farrell, director of research for Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, discussing intact fetuses.

"Just depending on the patient's anatomy, how many weeks, where it's placed in the uterus ... we're going to potentially be able to have some that will be more or less intact, and then some that will not be," she tells an interviewer. "But it's something that we can look at exploring how we can make that happen so we have a higher chance."

Planned Parenthood has previously stated that rather than selling the body parts and organs for profit, Planned Parenthood will "donate" human remains to for-profit and non-profit entities.

However, the latest video shows a Planned Parenthood official stating, "we've had studies in which the company, or in the case of the investigator, has a specific need for a certain portion of the products of conception and we bake that into our contract, and our protocol, that we follow this. So we deviate from our standard in order to do that.

"If we alter our process and we are able to obtain intact fetal cadavers, then we can make it part of the budget, that any dissections are this, and splitting the specimens into different shipments is this. I mean, it's all just a matter of line items," she adds later.

The Center warned viewers earlier in the day of the potential release: 

"You're going to see evidence in it of how Planned Parenthood is willing to sell fully in-tact fetuses to buyers of aborted fetal tissue," said David Daleiden of The Center of Medical Progress on CNN. "Perhaps it's going to be even more shocking."

The first four videos that were released by the anti-abortion group has caused an uproar amongst conservatives and has ultimately led to a fight to defund Planned Parenthood.

According to The Hill, despite court orders blocking the release of some of the videos, Daleiden's group is planning to release other videos that are not affected by the court ruling.

On Monday afternoon, a standalone Republican-led bill to defund Planned Parenthood failed to defeat a Democratic filibuster, securing 53 votes in favor and 46 against.

While Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has promised no government shut downs on his watch, presidential candidate Donald Trump says the "only way to get rid of Planned Parenthood money is to shut the government down."

As the defunding debate continues, the Center of Medical Progress says that several more videos are expected to be released, The Hill reports.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/planned-parenthood-video-center-for-medical-progress/2015/08/04/id/665339/#ixzz3htSPQhHQ

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2015, 05:14:25 PM »
Yawn...more of the same bullshit by a group of frauds

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:03 PM »
New Planned Parenthood Video Shows Selling of 'Intact Fetuses'

Image: New Planned Parenthood Video Shows Selling of 'Intact Fetuses' (Photo by Olivier Douliery/Getty Images)
By Loren Gutentag   |   Tuesday, 04 Aug 2015

The Center for Medical Progress, the anti-abortion group that has released recordings of Planned Parenthood officials discussing the harvesting and selling of organs of aborted babies, has released a fifth video that deals with using 'intact fetuses' and the organization's 'diversification of the revenue stream,' The Hill reports.

The video is "repulsive and unconscionable," said Texas Gov. Greg Abbott after the fifth video from the Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast clinic in Texas was released.

AP reports that footage shows people touring the clinic as they pretended to be from a company that procures fetal tissue for research.

Not only were the individuals shown recently collected fetuses, but the video also shows a Planned Parenthood official, Melissa Farrell, director of research for Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast, discussing intact fetuses.

"Just depending on the patient's anatomy, how many weeks, where it's placed in the uterus ... we're going to potentially be able to have some that will be more or less intact, and then some that will not be," she tells an interviewer. "But it's something that we can look at exploring how we can make that happen so we have a higher chance."

Planned Parenthood has previously stated that rather than selling the body parts and organs for profit, Planned Parenthood will "donate" human remains to for-profit and non-profit entities.

However, the latest video shows a Planned Parenthood official stating, "we've had studies in which the company, or in the case of the investigator, has a specific need for a certain portion of the products of conception and we bake that into our contract, and our protocol, that we follow this. So we deviate from our standard in order to do that.

"If we alter our process and we are able to obtain intact fetal cadavers, then we can make it part of the budget, that any dissections are this, and splitting the specimens into different shipments is this. I mean, it's all just a matter of line items," she adds later.

The Center warned viewers earlier in the day of the potential release: 

"You're going to see evidence in it of how Planned Parenthood is willing to sell fully in-tact fetuses to buyers of aborted fetal tissue," said David Daleiden of The Center of Medical Progress on CNN. "Perhaps it's going to be even more shocking."

The first four videos that were released by the anti-abortion group has caused an uproar amongst conservatives and has ultimately led to a fight to defund Planned Parenthood.

According to The Hill, despite court orders blocking the release of some of the videos, Daleiden's group is planning to release other videos that are not affected by the court ruling.

On Monday afternoon, a standalone Republican-led bill to defund Planned Parenthood failed to defeat a Democratic filibuster, securing 53 votes in favor and 46 against.

While Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has promised no government shut downs on his watch, presidential candidate Donald Trump says the "only way to get rid of Planned Parenthood money is to shut the government down."

As the defunding debate continues, the Center of Medical Progress says that several more videos are expected to be released, The Hill reports.

http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/planned-parenthood-video-center-for-medical-progress/2015/08/04/id/665339/#ixzz3htSPQhHQ

And?

I get you all believe a fetus is a human life, but I would presume that you agree science must advance?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2015, 05:22:26 PM »
Right?  Who cares? 

Religious dingbats obviously care.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2015, 05:35:20 PM »
A funny line from CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/04/opinions/louis-planned-parenthood/index.html
That last part -- the claim that Planned Parenthood "sells the body parts of aborted babies," the centerpiece of the whole multi-year effort -- is flat-out untrue, and the lie is exposed by the Center's own undercover videos. Anyone who doubts this should plow through the transcripts of the conversations on the video. More on that in a moment.

By law, women getting abortions can voluntarily donate the tissue from that procedure to medical research, and by law the abortion provider can request nominal reimbursement $30 to $100 in most cases -- for saving, packing and shipping the tissue to a research firm.

The details of the process are enough to trouble anyone: non-medical people don't talk about the price of requesting, removing and shipping organs and pieces of flesh from place to place. Most of us would freak out if we listened to professionals in the local hospital, funeral home or medical examiner's office discuss details of how a dying person's request to have their body parts donated for transplants or scientific research actually gets carried out.

It turns out that cadavers, livers, kidneys, eyes and other organs don't walk themselves over to the local hospital or medical school for free.

For that matter, I'd urge anybody who has purchased an insurance policy that covers accidental death and dismemberment to peruse the fine print, which places dollar amounts indicating varying degrees of financial recovery for losing combinations of thumbs, fingers, eyes, legs and limbs

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »

And?

I get you all believe a fetus is a human life, but I would presume that you agree science must advance?

And it's just another video showing they are selling human body parts for profit.  Not sure that's how most taxpayers want their money spent.  Pretty gruesome stuff. 

I believe an unborn baby is a human life and I believe science should advance.  Those two aren't mutually exclusive. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2015, 05:49:18 PM »
And it's just another video showing they are selling human body parts for profit.  Not sure that's how most taxpayers want their money spent.  Pretty gruesome stuff. 

I believe an unborn baby is a human life and I believe science should advance.  Those two aren't mutually exclusive. 

Wrong again

there is no profit

but I know you fundie types want to keep beliving that

that's why you fellow LYING FUNDIES edited the video to exclude the ten or so times that the person from PP said that very thing

Four experts in the field of human tissue procurement told us the price range discussed in the video — $30 to $100 per patient — represents a reasonable fee. “There’s no way there’s a profit at that price,” said Sherilyn J. Sawyer, the director of Harvard University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s “biorepository.”

Nucatola’s comment, though, isn’t evidence that Planned Parenthood or its affiliates are selling “body parts” or fetal tissue for profit. The full video shows that after Nucatola mentions the $30 to $100, she describes how those amounts would be reimbursement for expenses related to handling and transportation of the tissues. Nucatola talks about “space issues” and whether shipping would be involved.

We also asked experts in the use of human tissue for research about the potential for profit. Sherilyn J. Sawyer, the director of Harvard University and Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s “biorepository,” told us that “there’s no way there’s a profit at that price.”She continued in an email:

Sawyer, July 20: In reality, $30-100 probably constitutes a loss for [Planned Parenthood]. The costs associated with collection, processing, storage, and inventory and records management for specimens are very high. Most hospitals will provide tissue blocks from surgical procedures (ones no longer needed for clinical purposes, and without identity) for research, and cost recover for their time and effort in the range of $100-500 per case/block. In the realm of tissues for research $30-100 is completely reasonable and normal fee.

Jim Vaught, president of the International Society for Biological and Environmental Repositories and formerly the deputy director of the National Cancer Institute’s Office of Biorepositories and Biospecimen Research, told us in an email that “$30 to $100 per sample is a reasonable charge for clinical operations to recover their costs for providing tissue.” In fact, he said, the costs to a clinic are often much higher, but most operations that provide this kind of tissue have “no intention of fully recovering [their] costs, much less making a profit.”

Carolyn Compton, the chief medical and science officer of Arizona State University’s National Biomarkers Development Alliance and a former director of biorepositories and biospecimen research at the National Cancer Institute, agreed that this was “a modest price tag for cost recovery.” Compton told us in an email: ” ‘Profit’ is out of the question, in my mind. I would say that whoever opined about ‘profit’ knows very little about the effort and expense involved in providing human biospecimens for research purposes.”