Author Topic: Planet Fitness Gym - Get out, all you personal trainers!  (Read 24560 times)

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Planet Fitness Gym - Get out, all you personal trainers!
« on: December 13, 2010, 04:20:56 PM »
NEWINGTON, NH -- Planet Fitness is discontinuing personal training at its clubs, according to CEO Mike Grondahl.

In a letter written to Planet Fitness owners, Grondahl says the Newington, NH-based company’s corporate-owned clubs will end all personal training sessions by Dec. 16. Franchisees will have until the first quarter of 2011 to end their personal training sessions.

“The decision to end personal training has been long and arduous,” Grondahl wrote in the letter. “It goes right to the essence of our business model. We’ve always tried to keep personal training to a minimum at Planet Fitness. But the problems related to having trainers in our gyms have never completely gone away. Lately, they’ve gotten worse. Too many trainers are pushing PT on our members, the vast majority of whom have zero interest in it. These clubs are opening themselves up to trouble.”

Grondahl says the clubs will continue their “P.E. at P.F.”—physical education at Planet Fitness—group fitness training sessions.

Grondahl began the letter by claiming that most people doing personal training are “just renting friends.”

“For us to be selling personal training is a fraud and downright condescending to anyone who can breathe,” he wrote.

Grondahl adds in the letter that personal training did not fit Planet Fitness’ “judgment-free zone” and that the company plans to use its no personal training model as a marketing tool.

“We’ll be the only fitness chain that can say we’ll never try to sell you personal training,” Grondahl wrote. “A lot of people will say we are dead wrong with this historic move. But the world was flat once, and who the hell needs a friend for 50 bucks an hour?”

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
Re: Planet Fitness Gym - Get out, all you personal trainers!
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
I could never understand why anyone would pay someone an hourly rate of 3-4 times the gym's monthly rate, especially when most of those people do little more than count reps and speak pious platitudes.

I am not opposed to personal training; however, as a PF customer, I believe that personal training is overkill for most PF customers.
~

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 04:25:30 PM »
This CEO sounds like a wack job.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »

As opposed to the thousands of whack job PT's?

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:52 PM »

I agree that much of what happens at Planet Fitness is, well, gayer than Planet Fitness.  But the CEO's comment about the essence of PF's business model makes sense.
~

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 04:59:02 PM »

A very rich wack job. Keeping PT's out is a good move. Plus Coach it only helps real trainers like you in the long run.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
Appreciate that, I know the guy is wealthy but I've also seen and know some of the trainers at Equinox and their PT development is exeptional as far as fitness goes and CEU programs are a must. They pay well, complete benefit packages the whole nine yards.

Formerly_Owner76

• Getbig III
  • Long Time Troll!
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 05:13:54 PM »
I think its a great idea. PT's are the worst thing to happen to the gym/Fitness world.
Strength Coaches, group fitness, all makes sense. Alphabet PT's are useless and just taking peoples money to talk to them while they show 'em shitty exercises.

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
For all you idiots...There are actually good personal trainers out there that get people results and are worth the money for people that pay to get results....
You Can't Do It!!!

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
I can see what the CEO is trying to prevent.  He is trying to prevent the phenomena of the "New trainer who prospects/bothers everyone at the gym in hopes of getting PT sessions"....or, so he says.

Honestly, as a trainer, I'm not at all offended by this.  Personal training isn't for everyone and most people do find the whole "selling of PT" as very annoying

However, I think a better solution would be to keep a limited number of trainers available for those who, sincerely, need a trainer and not pay those trainers a hourly fee.  Furthermore, the gym shouldn't do free assesments- start charging for them

stormshadow

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
For all you idiots...There are actually good personal trainers out there that get people results and are worth the money for people that pay to get results....

There are also IFBB Pro's that are all natural..

You sir, are a fucking idiot...

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 06:12:45 PM »
The problem with personal trainers is that they might not represent what your club does re instruction, etc. It is probably best to keep good trainers as staff and control them this way. People do need instruction and that is part of what gyms usually provide to new members.

So many clubs have low memberships (well, not in Australia) and then sell expensive personal training that many need to know what to do. It is difficult to make a profit in the gym business so owners are trying various strategies. I agree with Planet Fitness on their decision. Well, as long as the vacuum is filled with capable instructors on their staff.

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »
So are they still gonna consider Goodrums application?  ???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 06:17:45 PM »
There are also IFBB Pro's that are all natural..

You sir, are a fucking idiot...

So you think there isn't ONE good personal trainer out there?

TacoBell

• Getbig V
  • Team FTN
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 06:20:06 PM »
So you think there isn't ONE good personal trainer out there?

Heres one!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 06:27:15 PM »

If there good, then they will have no problem opening up their own studio and becoming great.

Schnauzer

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:37:08 PM »
The other day at my gym, I overheard two trainers having an in-depth discussion about cycling creatine.

powerbar

• Getbig IV
  • I am a good man.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »
Most people need a good personal trainer.  I'd say 90% of people that work out are doing something incorrectly in every workout.  I tell people that I give orientations to not to worry about doing exercises incorrectly because they'll just fit in with everyone else.
Come get me.

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 06:51:11 PM »
I think its a great idea. PT's are the worst thing to happen to the gym/Fitness world.
Strength Coaches, group fitness, all makes sense. Alphabet PT's are useless and just taking peoples money to talk to them while they show 'em shitty exercises.

agree completely. From what i've seen 70% of them don't even look fit. Just a bunch of skinny runners on stability balls.
It's Hip to be Square!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2010, 06:52:47 PM »
Gunnar Peterson received good results training Sylvester Stallone for the Expendables or Pit Brett for Troy.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »
Gunnar Peterson received good results training Sylvester Stallone for the Expendables or Pit Brett for Troy.

Pits leg shots in the Troy movie were from a stunt double(no homo)

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2010, 07:08:25 PM »
i hate that fucking chain.........on a very visceral level

really just perfectly represents the mediocrity modern american has come to represent

its ok to be fat.........."no one judges you"

its ok to be a snitch "hey, hit the lunk alarm"

it really hard to convey the deep hat ei have for planet fatness

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 07:14:01 PM »
Pits leg shots in the Troy movie were from a stunt double(no homo)

http://www.gunnarpeterson.com/press/iSay/m&f_1010.pdf

"Sly has to look powerful, he has to look athletic... So when he runs off the dock and dives into the water, you say 'Yeah, i buy that'."

. ::) ::) ::) ::)

Damn i wann get paid millions to make Sly look like he can actually run 20 yards and dive into the water from 2 feet height.

Flexb

• Getbig IV
  • word
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2010, 07:16:59 PM »
I like it. Never been to Planet Fitness but personal training is a scam and most personal trainers are fuking idiots. The people who pay for these idiots to train them are even worse. Personal trainers are typically insecure people that need to feel power over people, and at the end of the day feel "important." They don't give a rats ass about the person getting results; they just burn to have someone needing them.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 02:09:50 AM »
NEWINGTON, NH -- Planet Fitness is discontinuing personal training at its clubs, according to CEO Mike Grondahl.

In a letter written to Planet Fitness owners, Grondahl says the Newington, NH-based company’s corporate-owned clubs will end all personal training sessions by Dec. 16. Franchisees will have until the first quarter of 2011 to end their personal training sessions.

“The decision to end personal training has been long and arduous,” Grondahl wrote in the letter. “It goes right to the essence of our business model. We’ve always tried to keep personal training to a minimum at Planet Fitness. But the problems related to having trainers in our gyms have never completely gone away. Lately, they’ve gotten worse. Too many trainers are pushing PT on our members, the vast majority of whom have zero interest in it. These clubs are opening themselves up to trouble.”

Grondahl says the clubs will continue their “P.E. at P.F.”—physical education at Planet Fitness—group fitness training sessions.

Grondahl began the letter by claiming that most people doing personal training are “just renting friends.”

“For us to be selling personal training is a fraud and downright condescending to anyone who can breathe,” he wrote.

Grondahl adds in the letter that personal training did not fit Planet Fitness’ “judgment-free zone” and that the company plans to use its no personal training model as a marketing tool.

“We’ll be the only fitness chain that can say we’ll never try to sell you personal training,” Grondahl wrote. “A lot of people will say we are dead wrong with this historic move. But the world was flat once, and who the hell needs a friend for 50 bucks an hour?”

Translation: The lawyers and accountants tell me that potential liability from client injury as well as risk of lost revenue from prosecution of juice sales makes PT a bad bet for the bottom line.  So here's the usual spin saying we're all about our customers and I can't believe people keep buying it.