Author Topic: Gsp vs. nick diaz set for october  (Read 16911 times)

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
Re: Gsp vs. nick diaz set for october
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2011, 01:26:25 PM »
25 minutes of Nate laying on his back...guaranteed.

Gsp wouldnt get out of there without an elbow gash

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2011, 01:33:22 PM »
GSP is a huge pussy?  Spoken like a true Strikeforce ballhugger.

;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2011, 03:59:39 PM »
Lacy to fight MMA star Diaz

Former IBF super middleweight champion Jeff “Left Hook” Lacy officially signed on the dotted line to face Strikeforce champion Nick Diaz, who wants to pursue a professional boxing career in addition to his mixed-martial arts title reign. The boxing match will take place in the Fall of 2011. Promoter Don Chargin states, “This is a very dangerous fight for both men. Not only is this fight dangerous but stylistically it is very intriguing. I expected more resistance from fight fans and media in regards to this match-up but its amazing as to the hundreds of calls and e-mails I’ve received from fans on both sides wanting to see this match-up take place. I’ve received more than a few inquiries from some other very high-profile boxers that want to step up and fight Nick. It’s been a real whirlwind….I’ve been around boxing for quite some time and I’ve seen a lot of great, tough fighters in my six decades within the sport. I believe that if Nick had been one of those kids who had picked up boxing from a youth, he’d undoubtedly be a world-champion today. Sometime within the next 2 weeks I’ll be personally making the trek to Cesar Gracies gym to setup a private, closed door sparring session between Nick and a few nameless top-level contenders I have in mind.”

so I'll only assume that now that the paperwork is done, this is going to be in direct conflict of any contract Nick would need to sign with the UFC to ever fight GSP...

in other words it looks like Nick is out of the running for a fight with George for now.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2011, 04:26:06 PM »
Personally, I think this is a ploy to get Uncle Dana to put some big money up if he wants Diaz to fight GSP.
Diaz is a lot smarter than we are giving him credit for here.  GSP really has no other 'promotable' opponents at WW besides Diaz.

Otherwise, without Diaz, you have a boring champ with a boring opponent, and a fight nobody will to pay to see.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/06/unless-bout-with-st-pierre-materializes-soon-diaz-will-box-lac/

While boxing promoter Don Chargin told MMA Fighting on Friday that both Diaz and Lacy have signed bout agreements to face one another in a boxing match later this year, Diaz's manager, Cesar Gracie, said Diaz has a contract with Chargin, but has yet to sign a specific bout agreement for this fight.

"Nick has a signed contract but is waiting to sign an actual bout agreement," Gracie wrote in a text message on Friday afternoon. "We are only waiting to see if Zuffa is serious about a Diaz-GSP fight."

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 04:31:11 PM »
any idea how many fights nick has on his existing strikeforce/zuffa contract ?

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2011, 04:50:24 PM »
Diaz will get put on his back every round, as soon as he commits to those punches GSP will change levels and take him down and avoid sub attempts for 5 rounds in another GSP point style decision.  I like Nick, but there is a reason Strikeforce and EliteXc kept him away from guys who can wrestle and just kept feeding him stand up fighters.   
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2011, 07:21:09 PM »
any idea how many fights nick has on his existing strikeforce/zuffa contract ?

I'm not certain, but I think I remember it being 6 that he signed before the last Noons fight.

BILL ANVIL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2011, 10:19:06 AM »
Diaz will get put on his back every round, as soon as he commits to those punches GSP will change levels and take him down and avoid sub attempts for 5 rounds in another GSP point style decision.  I like Nick, but there is a reason Strikeforce and EliteXc kept him away from guys who can wrestle and just kept feeding him stand up fighters.   

Good post. You know your shit, man.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »

Hard to give him a wrestler, when there were really none to give him in WW.  I'll admit that Diaz has shown a weakness to wrestlers, but his skill level has changed greatly over the past few year.

That being said he's been beating cans for the past few years, and most likely will get crushed by GSP.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 09:29:29 AM »
Northern California - Mixed Martial Arts Champion, Nick Diaz will continue pursuing his Mixed Martial Arts career instead of professional boxing as it has been deemed that it be in Nick's best interest to focus on his primary combat sport and profession.

Team Diaz had contemplated transitioning over to the boxing world in a legitimate attempt to pursue a high-level boxing career. These discussions began in 2009 with long-time boxing promoter, Don Chargin and proceeded up until recent times.

Never before in the history of both sports had a pound-for-pound MMA combatant in his prime had the desire or been contractually free to attempt to transition over to boxing.

The landscape of Mixed-Martial Arts moves at a rapid pace and while Diaz's chance to make history, becoming the first true cross-over MMA star to enter the boxing ring, an opportunity arose for Nick to make a different sort of history in his primary field of fighting.

Don Chargin states, "Nick is a good kid and a very exciting fighter.* Right now he has an opportunity of a lifetime as it pertains to his MMA career.* While I don't doubt that Nick and his team were serious about taking the big step into boxing, it only makes sense for him to finish what he started and see how far he can go in MMA before he does anything in boxing.* It's all about timing... we began these discussions over two years ago and nobody would have imagined the type of demand that there currently is for Nick as a mixed martial artist."

Cesar Gracie (Nick's manager) states, "There are some people that have said we were just posturing to go into professional boxing and they don't understand that this thing is something we had been working on since 2009.* It wasn't just out of nowhere but at this point in time, there's a certain chance that comes along once in a very long while and it only makes sense to stick to MMA as of right now.* Nick's been working really hard to get to this point in his MMA career and it wouldn't make sense for us to make that transition into boxing right now.* If this were a couple months ago or if certain fights had played out differently, we'd definitely be ready to go into boxing, but that's not how it played out.* Don Chargin is a great boxing promoter and he understood our dilemma completely and I thank him for that."

While the intrigue for the proposed Nick Diaz-Jeff Lacy bout had drawn a massive amount of media interest in its rumored status, this type of cross-over match-up will have to take place at a later date.

Diaz's MMA career will undoubtedly have some major changes within a short while as he's ready to transition into the next phase of his fighting career.

Don Chargin continued, "I've had a long promotional career filled with numerous big events dating back the 1960s.* Taking Nick Diaz into boxing would have undoubtedly been a big one but this is Nick's career and his legacy as a MMA fighter needs to be solidified now.* I wish him all the luck going forward and know that Zuffa will have itself one very exciting fighter for many years to come."

Nick had stated in a previous interview that the only thing at this point that would keep him interested in MMA was a fight for more money against GSP.  Rumors are already starting to swirl about him being next in line for GSP and the fight possibly taking place towards the end of the year in Canada.  There are already betting odds out on the rumored match up out as well with GSP opening as the heavy favorite.
Predictions
 40/61

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
I guess I don't know what to say here.  GSP should be able to dismantle Diaz easily. 

I'm against GSP being forced to move into different weight classes.. but without it, 170 is becoming a boring division.

Oh, and i think it's kinda bs that GSP always seems to get these fights in canada.   Just my .02 cents.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 11:51:58 AM »
I guess I don't know what to say here.  GSP should be able to dismantle Diaz easily. 

I'm against GSP being forced to move into different weight classes.. but without it, 170 is becoming a boring division.

Oh, and i think it's kinda bs that GSP always seems to get these fights in canada.   Just my .02 cents.

I agree, Nick has better boxing and BJJ is pretty close between the two.....but GSP's wrestling and his defensive BJJ should be the telling tale here in this fight.  Nick is gonna come out and look to bang and GSP is gonna change levels and take him down repeatedly while avoiding the occasional sub attempt.  GSP in another 5 round point fight is the likely outcome.  I look forward to the smacktalk  and stare down more than the fight itself lol.
Predictions
 40/61

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 03:13:52 PM »
Maybe it's just b/c I really hate the kid's stupid grimace, but I don't even put Diaz in the same ball park as GSP.  I think he would get DISMANTLED.  And I don't understand this talk about him boxing, his punches have never impressed me.

He got his ass kicked in the UFC.  Diego Sanchez beat him when Diego was just starting out coming off TUF.  I think GSP would kill Diaz in a stand up fight or any other kind of fight.  Honestly, I don't think Diaz could beat Anthony Rumble Johnson, I think Johnson would crack him in the jaw and knock him out cold.  I think Jon Fitch would beat him too, as well as Kos and probably 3 or 4 other welterweights in the UFC.

Seems like a lot of people like Diaz as a fighter, but I just don't see it.  I think he'd get killed if he tried to fight a boxer in a boxing match and I think he'd get killed in the UFC.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:33 PM »
gut feeling tells me we'll see GSP try to prove a point and bang with Nick....

everyone know nicks weakness's  and strengths and something tell's me GSP will try and prove a point...

Nick may have good hands but nobody's ever called him "heavy handed", so if nick does win the stand up for a period of time GSP can always fall back on what he (and everyone else) knows.......

this fight isn't worth waiting till the fall though !

jedibrat

• Getbig III
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 07:28:33 AM »
Marquardt/Rumble will (should) be a slugfest. 

No way will Rumble stand. Nate has a reputation for power strikes going back a long way. Might be a Cheal Sonnen impersonator that turns up on the night.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 03:41:32 PM »
Probably in houston...discuss.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2011, 03:54:51 PM »
it's good thing that Diaz is back in the UFC, but I don't give him much of a chance..

I seriously doubt he'd even be in line for a title shot if he was fighting UFC fighters for the last 2 years...

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2011, 04:21:16 PM »
Its gonna be in vegas not houston
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 04:47:41 PM »
well that changes everything then.....

I think Diaz is gonna kick his ass !

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Hes crazy enough to pursue GSP and force him to fight, in other words GSP will HAVE to go for a finish one way or the other. Potentially his most exciting fight since regaining the belt IMO, but ultimately i see GSP winning. Is Jackson still the only guy to have finished Diaz (actually finish - not cuts)? I dont think GSP will get the TKO but a very entertaining points decision could be on the cards.

BTW i would love to see Diaz win, it opens up a whole new dimension in regards to fights and the ability to get the belt to change hands a'la the LHW  belt (if GSP doesnt get an immediate rematch).

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 08:01:50 PM »
I give Diaz as much of a shot as I gave Matt Sera.

GSP will have to finish him-- or at least fight.

Gameplan should go out the window. On sheer talent alone GSP should annihilate Diaz. However, Greg Jackson has him fighting like a fucking ballerina. Pulling something like that against Diaz is either going to result in a loss or a really dissipointing win. Either way his rep is going to be tarnished.

If Georges fights Diaz he should win easily. If he is cautious, he may lose.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 08:54:28 PM »
Signed. Late October.

a

Fitness4Life

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 08:57:55 PM »
No one can beat gsp, topic closed

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 08:58:16 PM »
GSP is not even worth watching anymore, the guy should have his earnings cut by Dana White, for the last 5 fights he's gone the exact same route, the safe route.. that's not how a champion fights, in my opinion he's become a complete loser in the cage, afraid to do anything but jab from the outside and the occasional takedown , he plays it so safe that he's become the most boring fighter in the UFC. 5 rounds of the same shit everytime, and then he has the nerve to apologize to t he fans EVERY FUCKING TIME and he says the exact same shit 'Oh I am sorrreee to my fans for putting on such a boring fight'  all you can expect from him anymore is 5 round decision.

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
At least it won't be another 25 minute MMA fight. This fight will not go the distance.  :D
a