Author Topic: "Personal Training"??  (Read 10315 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: "Personal Training"??
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
Until you reach your natural plateu? Then what?

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2011, 03:52:42 PM »
Until you reach your natural plateu? Then what?

then you re supposed to have a family, a wife, kids and a socio profesionnal status that will make you feel being part of something bigger than you.

You re not suposed to inject steroids to get bigger when you reach your plateau. Only if you have something to prove to others because you werent loved enough in your childhood and have deeply rooted self esteem issues. Only people who are in love with themselves and cannot truly love someone else -because they werent loved enough- push the limits even further and need the artificial feeling produced by the use of hormones to stay alive. Like any other addiction, it only serves the purpose to compensate for underachievments in other areas of life you didnt find any way to solve but running away from them. 

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2011, 03:53:43 PM »
Also, there is a difference between personal trainers that you find at your local club and what someone like Coach does. Coach is more of a, well, coach. There is not a single successful athlete at any level that has not had the help of a coach. And that includes a coach that specializes in athletic conditioning. As far as I know, Coach has little or no experience in MMA, yet some of the top fighters go to him for training. Why is that? Because someone of Coach's background can see what kind of activity an athlete participates in, and that can be football, basketball, volleyball or MMA and determine the type of conditioning program that would be optimal. A conditioning program for a baseball player I imagine would be markedly different from a cage fighter.

Also, I don't like to diminish the role of personal trainers you see at the gym. We take so much for granted because we've been at this for a while. But imagine someone who has never exercised a day in their lives walking into a modern commercial gym? You think they would have a clue of even where to start. How to properly set up and use a machine or barbell? Do you think they have even the slightest clue about what muscles do what or even what they're called? For some it's necessary to have someone with proper training and experience to walk them through.  

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Who said anything about getting bigger? This is the problem, most have one track mind when it comes to training, you only know what you read in your favorite muscle magazine, your knowledge is limited to a few articals you might have read and you think that translates into you being an expert about training.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2011, 04:04:41 PM »
Who said anything about getting bigger? This is the problem, most have one track mind when it comes to training, you only know what you read in your favorite muscle magazine, your knowledge is limited to a few articals you might have read and you think that translates into you being an expert about training.

I dont give a damn about being an athlete. I lift weights 4 hours a week since 12 years, play basketball, am an ectomorph i know all i need to know about physical conditionning. I could teach anyone in one hour everything i know about weight lifting, how to get lean and muscular.

BUT...

i couldnt teach anyone how to shoot a basketball in one hour,
nor could i teach an endomorph or a fat mesomorph how to lose weights quickly. It would need long time monitoring.
But even this is debattable as i see more and more women and men learning how to seriously lose weights all by themselves just from reading stuff from the internet.

Cornelius Funk

• Getbig II
  • I'm a truth addict
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
When I was a marine I went to a hooker and walked out without banging her.
I let her keep the 20 bucks and laughed about it.
I have no moral hang ups on sex or hookers.
For whatever reason I had no interest in screwing a hooker.
Once a marine always a marine. That's learned in bootcamp. You, Sir, are full of shit.
shit I gota headrush

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2011, 11:57:26 PM »
Good post uber, especially the training part of it ;D

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2011, 12:07:43 AM »
they need to suck my balls
Isn't this why you got fired and are now not allowed to teach small boys ? ???

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2011, 10:28:04 AM »
I dont give a damn about being an athlete. I lift weights 4 hours a week since 12 years, play basketball, am an ectomorph i know all i need to know about physical conditionning. I could teach anyone in one hour everything i know about weight lifting, how to get lean and muscular.

BUT...

i couldnt teach anyone how to shoot a basketball in one hour,
nor could i teach an endomorph or a fat mesomorph how to lose weights quickly. It would need long time monitoring.
But even this is debattable as i see more and more women and men learning how to seriously lose weights all by themselves just from reading stuff from the internet.

You're posts as well as others were referring to trainers, you didn't specify what kind of trainers. Although 90% of my clientele are athletes, I'm still a trainer, yours, as well as others made it blanket statement. As far as the losing weight part, not every can be learned on the internet, they learn the different gimmicks associated with "weight loss" as do it and when it doesn't work out, they go on to the next gimmick and so on and so. Despite what people say on here and other places, it's just not a matter of just cutting calories, to do it RIGHT there's quite a bit involved. This is where people ON HERE read something on the internet and preach on here "this is the best way" then consider themselves
"experts."

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »
Although 90% of my clientele are athletes, I'm still a trainer, yours, as well as others made it blanket statement.
"experts."

Most people posting in this thread are actually clearly distinguishing between useful trainers like you and the worthless type.

Crossbow

• Getbig II
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2011, 12:15:34 PM »
As somebody who regularly takes personal training sessions with different personal trainers (one for weights, one for boxing, one for swimming), I dare say that a good trainer can make a big difference and can be well worth the money.

Yes, I know how to perform almost all exercises with good technique, but I have made the experience that often when I hit the gym after a long and stressful working day I just perform the same basic exercises, go through the motions, while my mind is still at work.

Having a trainer structure my workouts, mix things up, push me to my limits and teach me new things is very helpful.

Does this mean, that everybody would benefit from a good trainer ? Maybe, maybe not. We are all different. But in my case (maybe because I managed to find very good trainers), I learn something new in every workout and I can definitely see improvements that I would not have if I only worked out on my own.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2011, 12:24:16 PM »
Shut up.  This is Getbig.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2011, 12:26:22 PM »
Great post crossbow.

Devon97

• Getbig V
  • Keith lives on...
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2011, 12:39:31 PM »
I can copy and paste it from Berardi's site , just like you do.

Berardi's a nutritionist & professor in academia, not a strength trainer/coach

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
Che's never seen the site and knew nothing of Berardi until I mentioned him. But Che's the expert.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 08, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
I've trained under Lyle McDonald. Love his no "Broscience" attitude. Dispelling myths and bodybuilding Dogma.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #91 on: May 08, 2011, 02:03:08 PM »
Personal Trainers come in a very wide variety from your hourly paid club trainer that just shows someone how to use the equipment in the gym to more specialized trainers that take care of a wide variety of things.  No trainer is alike so you simply can't group them all into one category.  Dr. Berardi and Dr. Layne Norton for example are not personal trainers but are folks that work in maximizing human performance and development which entails a lot more stuff than just personal training  

Despite the "criticism" of the PT industry, its at least an honest means of making a living and very easy to do if you're willing to listen and learn.  
A

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 08, 2011, 02:13:17 PM »
Berardi's a nutritionist & professor in academia, not a strength trainer/coach

STFU if you don't know what you're talking about .

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2011, 02:14:10 PM »
Che's never seen the site and knew nothing of Berardi until I mentioned him. But Che's the expert.
Where did I say I was an expert  ???

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2011, 02:43:58 PM »
John Berardi is not a professor.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
Che, Devon97 was the one other I was talking about.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2011, 05:10:22 PM »
@ Hulkotron, yes he is. He's the adjunct Professor at the University Of Texas.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • stuff for dumplings
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2011, 05:16:31 PM »
@ Hulkotron, yes he is. He's the adjunct Professor at the University Of Texas.

"Professor" and "adjunct professor" are two very different things.

Adjunct is basically a part time employee who has no formal role with the rest of the full-time faculty and may or may not actually do anything on a regular basis.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:36 PM »
"Professor" and "adjunct professor" are two very different things.

Not when you're short!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2011, 05:31:47 PM »
Again, lots of people on here dogging trainers. So here's a challenge for all of you who think you really think its easy. Design a 12 week periodized program from beginning to end.

TBH I could do that very easily.

It is more important to be good at marketing to be a good trainer. The majority of famous trainers are the former.