Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 554118 times)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #775 on: August 10, 2013, 09:02:52 PM »
do you have German ancestry brother?

i'm bout half German-Austrian, and the rest is Anglo-Saxon and petite peu Francais 8)

maybe we should meet up in German Village baby

I have a family tree going back to the 1700's, almost every main branch goes to Scotland or England.  

Let's do it though!!  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #776 on: August 10, 2013, 09:55:23 PM »
I have a family tree going back to the 1700's, almost every main branch goes to Scotland or England.  

Let's do it though!!  ;D

cool beans, just hope that you ain't no violent scotch-irish hillbilly/white trash ;D

my uncle's wife is of scotch-irish descent and she originally hails from kentucky and her daddy murdered someone over an alcohol dispute many years back, but his laywer got the sentence reduced to manslaughter ::)

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #777 on: August 10, 2013, 10:36:26 PM »
cool beans, just hope that you ain't no violent scotch-irish hillbilly/white trash ;D

my uncle's wife is of scotch-irish descent and she originally hails from kentucky and her daddy murdered someone over an alcohol dispute many years back, but his laywer got the sentence reduced to manslaughter ::)

haha...  I think I'm related to your uncle's wife.  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #778 on: August 17, 2013, 03:53:53 PM »
Albert Speer: Inside The Third Reich
Read that years back. What I got from it was how we, you and me, can bastardize our memories to fit our later determined narratives. Wow, he lied his ass off as to his Nazi 'responsibilities,' but wrote himself up as a saint. Trust me, given similar circumstances, we'd totally do the same. 'Cept maybe Herr Falcon. And peanut butter.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #779 on: August 18, 2013, 08:22:25 AM »
Read that years back. What I got from it was how we, you and me, can bastardize our memories to fit our later determined narratives. Wow, he lied his ass off as to his Nazi 'responsibilities,' but wrote himself up as a saint. Trust me, given similar circumstances, we'd totally do the same. 'Cept maybe Herr Falcon. And peanut butter.

Seems to be my analysis. 
A

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #780 on: August 19, 2013, 08:48:33 PM »
Where Serpents Lie, another serial killer mystery. Anyone read it?

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #781 on: August 19, 2013, 10:48:51 PM »
Just finished The Hydrogen Sonata.  The last of Iain M. Banks' Culture novels.  (He died fairly recently.)

I'm going to start reading his mainstream (non-science fiction) books soon.

Teutonic Knight

• Getbig V
« Reply #782 on: August 20, 2013, 01:40:22 AM »
MEIN KAMPF (again)
By Adolf Hitler
Translation by Houghton Mifflin & Co. 1943
Published by Pimlico in 1992, London
Translation 1st published by Hutschinson  1969
Reprinted:1993,1994,1995 (2X),1996 (2X),1997,1998,1999,2000,2001,2002,2003,2004

Regarding to Amazon.com, Mein Kampf is the best selling book of all time  ;D

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #783 on: August 20, 2013, 07:41:24 AM »
Sad news. Elmore Leonard died today, complications from an earlier stroke. Those who read or love movies know what a loss this is. Just watched The Tall T last night on TCM. Still a solid flick 56 years later. PIP.  

2012 Bookbeast interview with EL: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/09/justified-season-finale-elmore-leonard-interviewed.html

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #784 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:11 AM »
Sad news. Elmore Leonard died today, complications from an earlier stroke. Those who read or love movies know what a loss this is. Just watched The Tall T last night on TCM. Still a solid flick 56 years later. PIP.   
Sorry to hear, 'Get Shorty" was good.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #785 on: August 20, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

2012 Bookbeast interview with EL: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/04/09/justified-season-finale-elmore-leonard-interviewed.html

RIP. One of the great crime novelists.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #786 on: August 21, 2013, 03:58:54 AM »
I am reading "The White Queen" by Philippa Gregory.  I am almost half way through it....only been reading it for one week.  I am not falling in love with any of the characters.  I don't like the style of the author.  She's not emotional...just writes factual.  It's like a history lesson at school.  Anyway I am going to finish the book but I won't be continuing on with the other 5 books after this one.  There will be a series on tv starting on sept 5th and it looks better than the book, which is sad cause it should be opposite.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #787 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:17 AM »
I am reading "The White Queen" by Philippa Gregory.  I am almost half way through it....only been reading it for one week.  I am not falling in love with any of the characters.  I don't like the style of the author.  She's not emotional...just writes factual.  It's like a history lesson at school.  Anyway I am going to finish the book but I won't be continuing on with the other 5 books after this one.  There will be a series on tv starting on sept 5th and it looks better than the book, which is sad cause it should be opposite.
WTF a woman thats not emotional do they exist?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #788 on: August 21, 2013, 04:07:36 AM »
WTF a woman thats not emotional do they exist?
Yes apparently they do and they write books and are supose to be brillant at it.  She's not making me get involved with any of the characters and yet when I watch the tv adverts for the upcoming series I immediately feel more for the characters. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #789 on: August 21, 2013, 04:12:48 AM »
Yes apparently they do and they write books and are supose to be brillant at it.  She's not making me get involved with any of the characters and yet when I watch the tv adverts for the upcoming series I immediately feel more for the characters. 
Are you left brained?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #790 on: August 21, 2013, 04:21:22 AM »
Are you left brained?
No I think I am right.  What are you?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #791 on: August 21, 2013, 04:32:29 AM »
No I think I am right.  What are you?
Most women are right brained Artistic they like to decorate stuff and think of of a knight in white armor to rescue them from harm. I am left brained calculating and good with numbers. However I did plant some flowers yesterday in front of my house cause it was looking bad. Women and men most times find a way to fight however my grandparents married 79 years found a way.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #792 on: August 21, 2013, 04:39:51 AM »
Most women are right brained Artistic they like to decorate stuff and think of of a knight in white armor to rescue them from harm. I am left brained calculating and good with numbers. However I did plant some flowers yesterday in front of my house cause it was looking bad. Women and men most times find a way to fight however my grandparents married 79 years found a way.
The right side is intuitive.  I would have thought you were right sided. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #793 on: August 21, 2013, 04:46:28 AM »
The right side is intuitive.  I would have thought you were right sided. 
Got a bit of both actually. Bodybuilding competing as I have is a Art form other than that I have had the women in my life to give me the right side help. You got snakes in your back yard?

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #794 on: August 21, 2013, 04:50:42 AM »
Got a bit of both actually. Bodybuilding competing as I have is a Art form other than that I have had the women in my life to give me the right side help. You got snakes in your back yard?
I might but I don't go looking for them.  Tomorrow I am hauling my ass out of bed at 6am and doing my outdoor cardio.  I might see a snake then.  That's when I always see them as they are up early in the mornings.  I didn't go this morning.  I had a very sore tummy so I stayed in bed drinking my coffee feeling guilty cause I knew I should be up walking. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #795 on: August 21, 2013, 05:01:41 AM »
I might but I don't go looking for them.  Tomorrow I am hauling my ass out of bed at 6am and doing my outdoor cardio.  I might see a snake then.  That's when I always see them as they are up early in the mornings.  I didn't go this morning.  I had a very sore tummy so I stayed in bed drinking my coffee feeling guilty cause I knew I should be up walking. 
Go walking later as you feel like it. Vitamin D/sunshine is very important for ladies bone mineral density.

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #796 on: August 21, 2013, 05:05:23 AM »
Go walking later as you feel like it. Vitamin D/sunshine is very important for ladies bone mineral density.
We have sun at 6am here.  I lay in the sun working on my tan because in october it will be too hot and I won't be able to lay out in the sun until May next year.  So I have got the rest of this month and then sept and then I won't expose my skin to the sun here.  Just nasty and unnecessary ultravoilet rays with no ozone layer.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #797 on: August 21, 2013, 05:23:56 AM »
We have sun at 6am here.  I lay in the sun working on my tan because in october it will be too hot and I won't be able to lay out in the sun until May next year.  So I have got the rest of this month and then sept and then I won't expose my skin to the sun here.  Just nasty and unnecessary ultravoilet rays with no ozone layer.
It is hot there summer no doubt, I was there during the rainy season so not bad. Let me see if I can get Basile come down and put oil on your back.  :D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #798 on: August 21, 2013, 05:42:21 AM »
It is hot there summer no doubt, I was there during the rainy season so not bad. Let me see if I can get Basile come down and put oil on your back.  :D
Reading Robert Mitchum biography a amazing person. The seasons opposite in the USA we are going into Fall soon. Proud of of myself planting flowers in the front of my house never done that before, I hope chaos don't see this I'll be outed in 15 seconds.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #799 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:41 AM »

Oh yeah, you're just now coming into Spring aren't you.  Weird how that works...