Author Topic: are deadlifts overrated?  (Read 25850 times)

spoonman

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
are deadlifts overrated?
« on: September 11, 2005, 10:05:23 PM »
owner of my gym who has won many titles and looks like a pro never does deadlifts and says they aren't needed and that effective when you can do bent rows,etc

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Re: are deadlifts overrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2005, 10:08:29 PM »
No they aren`t overrated.  Quickest mass builder in my opinion. Especially if you are natural.

619Rules

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2005, 10:22:38 PM »
They are the quickest way to blow out your back!

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2005, 11:35:06 PM »
They are good for mass building, but I've found that deads take too great a toll on one's nervous system.
Sultan

pushinweight

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 01:21:38 AM »
Not as bad as squats

(nothing)

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 02:25:51 AM »
i think it may have lee P. that said if you have a good back as it is then they are not a big deal, but if your back is a lagging body part then they are the best way to bring it up. if you look at the guys who sware by DL they always have a thicker back, a thicker body in general i.e. dorian, coleman, JJ and so forth. i usually them every other week or so.
fat till furthe

gli_ya

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:27:05 AM »
If i could do only one exercise for my body, it would be Deadlifts.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 02:43:21 AM »
owner of my gym who has won many titles and looks like a pro never does deadlifts and says they aren't needed and that effective when you can do bent rows,etc

I think DL's are great provided your form is perfect, if you can't maintain form then don't do them at all because you will only fuck up your back. 

If you DL heavy for 1RM like a Powerlifter you should probably on do them every other week or the wear and tear on your body will start to hurt you in other areas.

When I was  younger I would do them heavy every week, but now that I've learned what my body responds to I do them every other week.....give the CNS a chance to recover.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 03:01:11 AM »
NO.  Perfect form is a standard for any excercise.  Deadlifts are the BEST, get huge offa DL's.  Staple move!   :D

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 03:33:13 AM »
NO.  Perfect form is a standard for any excercise.  Deadlifts are the BEST, get huge offa DL's.  Staple move!   :D

The reason I stress form is because most people use shitty form and fuck up their backs doing compound movements like DL's.

If you can't do DL's with form,  you should do them at all......

Of course you should do perfect form on all movements.......but how many people in the gym do you see who don't..... ::)

DIV

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 04:08:53 AM »
The reason I stress form is because most people use shitty form and f**k up their backs doing compound movements like DL's.

If you can't do DL's with form, you should do them at all......

Of course you should do perfect form on all movements.......but how many people in the gym do you see who don't..... ::)Your right DIV.  Maybe 20% people in most gyms do move with good  form, let alone DL's.  DL's are a ough move in the fact that if you aint doin right dont do cause they along with squats will put you out of commision for a long time.  Gotta start at the bottom and work your way up.  Seen too many try to get away with lifting heavy for egos sake.  Its okay though cause they aint round after two weeks or so, lol.  Kinda  the same with bench a little.  People loadin too much weight or too loose form, only a matter of time, maybe 4-6 weeks for they hurt shoulder or roatator cuff.  When I worked at gym/health club years back used to have a pool with a few collegues about the new members.  After watching their first workouts we would bet on how long before the stopped comming to the gym due to injury.  lol

DIV

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 04:26:42 AM »

Orwell Fugemall

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 01:40:41 PM »
Sounds like the owner is a pus-bag.  What shows has he won?  Not the Hoboken Invitational either.  People who can't deadlift for shit, criticize it.  Just like pusses that don't squat say that squats hurt their back/knees/index finger, etc.

hangclean

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 01:47:06 PM »
They are one of the best.  Be careful because going heavy on deads to often is a great way to burn out.  Doing good mornings, pull throughs, cleans, and different variations of squats will help your dead numbers while your not doing them.

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 02:16:47 PM »
Deads are the best.
W

gli_ya

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 03:15:50 PM »
I think deadlifting should be a presidential qualifier....

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2005, 03:19:55 PM »
how does DL'ing affect your nervous system  ???

• Getbig III
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2005, 05:39:09 PM »
how does DL'ing affect your nervous system  ???

I was wondering the same.
Ron Paul 2012

RealityCheck

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2005, 05:51:05 PM »
I agree with the nervous system comment. I deadlifted for years but to combine it with heavy squats week in week out is unrealistic, it's just too much on the body.

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »
I agree with the nervous system comment. I deadlifted for years but to combine it with heavy squats week in week out is unrealistic, it's just too much on the body.

That's what I meant. If you squat and do deads too frequently as a natural, it becomes counter-productive. Your body begins to breakdown.
Sultan

• Getbig III
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2005, 06:32:55 PM »
That's what I meant. If you squat and do deads too frequently as a natural, it becomes counter-productive. Your body begins to breakdown.

Can you be more specific how it breaks down your body?  And how it effects the CNS.
Ron Paul 2012

flexfan

• Getbig IV
  • Venice Versmilitude
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2005, 06:46:41 PM »
Can you be more specific how it breaks down your body?  And how it effects the CNS.

Scientifically, I can't give you a great explanation, but I just know that when I was doing both squats and deads every week, my body felt really worn out and depleted (yes, I was eating well- so that wasn't it). Also, I always felt like a back injury was right around the corner when doing both. I haven't squatted or deadlifted in years. I think both are beneficial in moderation, but just don't like the way my body feels when I do them. I train exclusively for self-improvement and recreation- so I do want I want to do and no more.
Sultan

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2005, 07:22:32 PM »
Hell no they aren't overrated.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2005, 07:32:57 PM »
Like squat's have to stick to them,have tried in past just never really got feel for them,I squat though every leg day in one form or another.Dead's are all form to be successful.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2005, 10:48:05 PM »

I lift for strength, not size.......so I've read up on this.

When your training style is based on higher weight, lower reps your body relies more on the Central Nervous System because the reps are intense and the negatives really take a toll on you.  It's basically double the workload and over time when you combine compound movements in the same week........heavy incline DP presses, heavy Deads, Heavy Squats......your CNS won't recover in time for the next weeks workout.  The CNS works on a feedback loop like the hypothalmus and when it gets burned out it needs time to recuperate.  This is why it's best to do these type of movements every other week instead of every week.

DIV