Author Topic: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise  (Read 18304 times)

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: Deadlifts are not the best back exercise
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2012, 02:09:17 PM »
That’s Vince Gironda style right there Tim. I almost forgot about that movement. I used to do it all the time when I trained at a gym that had a bench you could adjust on BOTH ends. Now all the gyms have bolted their benches down so you can’t prop them up so the closest you can come to duplicating this movement would be low inclines face down. Good movement but not the same as you are getting.
David,at the gym I`m training at we have a Cybex Multi-Station unit.........crossovers,pulldowns,cable rows,preacher curls,assisted chin/dips,and pressdowns...........als o on either side of the machine are two high benches supposedly for ab work I assume,only one side can be elevated,kinda` like an incline bench in reverse.

My partner and I set up another bench in front of that one with our barbell on it,strap up,and row..........real nice,and the bench even has a foot thingy to lock you in place so you can`t /don`t cheat or wobble around.

This exercise saved my training as my back was so fucked up,training for 3 contests and my wife literally had to put on my socks and shoes before I left the house for the gym.

Another good tip everyone should be using while training back,is instead of just pulling/yanking the weight up or down,try to endeavor to push back with the elbows while kind of shrugging with the back first before the arms come into play.

This mentally pushing back instead of just pulling,will help you to establish a mind/muscle connection which I think is very tough for most people to achieve when training back.

Pausing at the chest for 2 seconds as mentioned above by coltrane is also excellent advice.

Like I mentioned earlier,if we could always get our backs pumped up as well as we do our arms,our backs would probably be far more developed.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2012, 04:04:51 PM »
Wes I was able to figure out a set-up to do the high bench rows last night. I forgot how good those really are. The mentally pulling back that you described sounds almost exactly like what I was trying to describe with how I do pulldowns.

and keep moving!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:15 PM »
Wes I was able to figure out a set-up to do the high bench rows last night. I forgot how good those really are. The mentally pulling back that you described sounds almost exactly like what I was trying to describe with how I do pulldowns.

Great minds think alike my friend.......you learn a few things here and there being one of the "old" guys like us!  ;D

clownbaby

• Getbig III
  • get licked
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2012, 06:41:43 AM »
Time under tension was about .5 seconds up and .5 seconds down with 1-2 seconds rest between reps. Hey, if it works for him great. I do love T-bars and do use kind of form when I want to pump up my ego... my legs... my hips... my lower back and make believe I'm strong.

Seriously I do believe there is a place for this. Just not all the time or as a staple.  

I respect the hell out of you, but the whole 'if it works' kind of line is (imho) such a bunch of crap.  What is it that is working for him?  I guess I go into an exercise to make sure I am close to good form as possible.  I dont think anyone would look at that and say that is even close to good form.  I am not saying full form, 2 sec, 2 sec down, etc etc etc.  But that is just a mindless, ego-driven, POS display.

Wolfsanglerune

• Getbig II
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
Maybe 1 out of every 20 people you see working out back at the gym does barbell rows. It's pathetic. I do barbell rows on my heavy, thickness back workout and on my width, separation, mostly machine-oriented back workout. For overall thickness and development, I think both deadlifts and barbell rows are essential. The exclusion of either I think is why so many pros and gym rats have mediocre or downright shitty backs.

this x100

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2012, 07:36:15 AM »
Maybe 1 out of every 20 people you see working out back at the gym does barbell rows. It's pathetic. I do barbell rows on my heavy, thickness back workout and on my width, separation, mostly machine-oriented back workout. For overall thickness and development, I think both deadlifts and barbell rows are essential. The exclusion of either I think is why so many pros and gym rats have mediocre or downright shitty backs.

What is a 'separation' exercise?

Metabolic

• Getbig IV
  • Team I Fucked Her Face
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
Deadlifts are not a back exercise, at best erectors

Your posts are shit

HTH