Author Topic: Whats good for pull ups and chin ups?  (Read 10863 times)

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
Re: Whats good for pull ups and chin ups?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
Yeah, man. They tell me squats and deadlifts are enough cardio, enough stimulation for the core and that it raises testosterone and demented shit like that LOL... okay, I guess it must be working out for them, eh? :-X

Well, they deadlift girl weight, they squat with the pussy pad and the only thing big and tough they do is grunt and smell like a beast. That's why I love showing up to the gym wearing sweats and letting them swing their weights and grunt like phaggots. I always lift as quiet and controlled as possible. The weights I push are heavier and after I'm warmed up I peel back the layers and watch them meltdown and workout on the other side of the gym. 8)

I'll admit though, I only did chins for a couple years, stopped for a few and only started doing them again in the last year. I've seen improvements in my back which can't be said for fatties with inches of insulation. I feel they're very worthwhile now.

Great band name.

Fatties with Insulation

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 07:36:08 PM »
Guys who have no concept on the mind muscle connection can knock these things out like its nothing. As soon as you cross over to the mind muscle connection, these things get a lot harder.

uetone

• Getbig II
  • TeaM South Americana
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
Jay cutler is the master at pullups ... he did about 12 with a body weight of about 125lbs

And thats a really strong dude
HATERS GON HATE!!

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
12? Weaksauce.

Crossfitters can easily to 50 in just one set...

Forging the fitness elite....

with that form i can do 100 reps  ::)
T

StanZoLOL

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2012, 03:22:59 AM »
I usually do 4 sets of 14-16 with a 45lb plate. For ego fluffing purposes I've done pull ups with a few plates on there with solid form, but it felt like two times more weight than necessary and didn't do anything good. Whatever weight you can do which challenges you and lets you still get a good mind-muscle connection is what you should use.

I think anyone who says they "bodybuild" or work out should be able to do 20 reps with just bodyweight or 10 reps with a 45lb plate, even if it's just for one set. If you can't do anymore than that, lift your shirt up and see how much pudge is there. Unless you're 280lbs and 5% bf, you're probably not as swole as you think you are (ie, you are fat and weak).

Fat and weak is pushing it, because there are plenty of powerlifters who suck at pullups but are definitely not weak (like 500-600 raw benchers lol) but they are definitely a good judge of how much bodyfat you're carrying. They are exponentially far easier the less bf you're carrying. Basically I agree though.

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 03:36:12 AM »
On a slightly different subject (still in the twinky bodyweight category) I have started adding push ups to my general training.

I set myself a goal of doing 100 a night before bed, and I was surprised at how many I could do. It's probably down to how many years i've spent benching and how strong my tri's are too?

I was expecting to get like 5 sets of 20, but on my first set I got the wife to count me and did 44  :D

after a couple of nights doing 45, 30, 25 I am now doing 50, 35-40, and 10 or so to finish!

I know, I know, it's gayer than firing your housemaid so you can do more to help the wife  ;D

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
chin ups are great . but often the chin up apparatus is akward and set too low for tall people

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2014, 11:00:39 AM »
It all depends on if you kip up or don't. It depends if you dead hang or you don't. It depends if you truly go all the way up or just stick your chin up to the bar when you could have pulled another 8 inches.

15 strict dead hang touching the bar to your chest is good. 30 is good for just getting your chin to the bar. Kipping like a lunatic 50 is good.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2014, 11:03:29 AM »
Jay cutler is the master at pullups ... he did about 12 with a body weight of about 125lbs

Hahaha! WTF?!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2014, 11:28:59 AM »
240 never took Grape Ape's pull up bet...

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:52 AM »
240 never took Grape Ape's pull up bet...
Now, you've done it. He's gonna have to throw up 00's more obfuscatory posts to get everyone to forget you brought it up.  ;D 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:30 AM »
Now, you've done it. He's gonna have to throw up 00's more obfuscatory posts to get everyone to forget you brought it up.  ;D 

;)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
The best things for pull ups and chin ups are youth and low bodyweight.

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2014, 04:09:29 PM »
I start every back workout with 4 sets of 10 wide grip pull ups. It hurts my dam shoulders though.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
When you can do 30x pullups, easy with good form, for a warm up weighing at least 200 then you are doing good (serious).

Kipping like a lunatic 50 is good.

NBK. Never be kipping. (still serious)

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
I start every back workout with 4 sets of 10 wide grip pull ups. It hurts my dam shoulders though.

The wide-grip is tough on shoulders...neutral grip or shoulder-width overhead pull-ups should be easier on your joints

lightweightbaby83,

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2014, 06:55:47 PM »
12? Weaksauce.

Crossfitters can easily to 50 in just one set...

Forging the fitness elite....

Some surgeon is going to make a fortune on shoulder surgeries in 20 years.

Too many people think their body is worthless and can just be wrecked 24/7

AlphaMaleDawg

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2014, 07:15:41 PM »
The wide-grip is tough on shoulders...neutral grip or shoulder-width overhead pull-ups should be easier on your joints

Yea, I might switch over. The wide grips are better for overall thickness though.

TommyBoy

• Getbig IV
  • What's the vector, Victor?
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2014, 07:43:57 PM »
Yeah, I NEVER dead hang, letting my shoulders get loose at the bottom position. I lock everything in like I'm doing pull downs. Start in the up position, then I let it down.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »
i remember many chin up set up so low . so few tall people could do it . they think only average size people train with weights . of course the pulldown became more popular . so

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2014, 03:45:33 PM »
I do 50.

Have  been for years. Non-stop reps.

Good for width but not so much for thickness. Good thing I deadlift. 1RM is 515 lbs. Can shrug 14 plates, but that does nothin' for nothin' ~ stretches the traps out and hyper-extends the elbows. I'm sure the set of wrist straps aren't doing my wrists any favors either.

Most everyone here knows what I look like so I don't think I need to post pics... but I do have them ~

Stats: 5'6" @ 192 lbs and 9.5% bodyfat. Just brought up bodyfat from 7% ~ got tired of being ripped all the time. Seriously. It looks great on the abs and such, but it don't feel so good at 51 years old. Makes you look old as fuck.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
How about I dont give a piss about either one.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2014, 04:17:37 PM »
i did 25 reps on my last back day.. i think on a good day i can do 30..

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:49 PM »
i did 25 reps on my last back day.. i think on a good day i can do 30..

LIAR

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 05:52:50 PM »
LIAR

i had once claimed i had bench pressed 140 kg at 69 kg bw and an asshole like you said i was lying till i proved my claim with a video.. i can easily take a video but wont do it only for a nothing like you..