Author Topic: Deadlifting video with ben white maxing also derek poundstone  (Read 20259 times)

Fortress

• Getbig V
Re: Deadlifting video with ben white maxing also derek poundstone
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:51 AM »
Hook grip vs straps, I don't know, the effect is the same.

So is walking to the store or driving to the store. Faster or slower, you're still there, but ...

One option you can achieve without having a hunk of steel, working motor, tank full of petrol, and four inflated tires at your disposal.

In other words, the walking option is ALWAYS available, barring physical limitations through age, injury or birth defect.

If someone can pull 600, but not without the use of wrist straps, it isn't near as impressive. To have such a limitation takes away from the prospect of some individual to pull from the floor such a poundage, anywhere or anytime. Heck, he has to have some dumb straps or he's fucked.  

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
  • there can only be one...
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 02:31:45 PM »
Fortress do you ever use knee wraps or a belt?
choice is an illusion

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 07:48:00 PM »
So is walking to the store or driving to the store. Faster or slower, you're still there, but ...

One option you can achieve without having a hunk of steel, working motor, tank full of petrol, and four inflated tires at your disposal.

In other words, the walking option is ALWAYS available, barring physical limitations through age, injury or birth defect.

If someone can pull 600, but not without the use of wrist straps, it isn't near as impressive. To have such a limitation takes away from the prospect of some individual to pull from the floor such a poundage, anywhere or anytime. Heck, he has to have some dumb straps or he's fucked.  

There is a place for both lifts, some like to measure their strength by seeing how much weight can be pulled of the ground, regardless of straps or not, and some people like to measure how much weight they can be pulled without straps, which obviously would pose yet one more variable to make the challange harder. Both ways still measure how much a man can lift, this does not change, the only thing that changes is one has a better grip then the other, obviously more impressive

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2012, 07:49:35 PM »
Shouldn't run before you can walk. If you can't grip it, don't lift it.
P

bigjim

• Getbig III
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2012, 09:47:25 PM »
Ben white - Worlds stongest bber.

Poundstone - WSM

Realtity is Poundstone is stonger and only slightly less muscular. Ben White Pwned.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2012, 09:56:11 PM »
Fortress do you ever use knee wraps or a belt?

I have squatted since day one, 27 years ago, and I honestly have wrapped my knees in a gym fewer than 20 times. I wrapped them in my first power meet, but not my next two. Never again, either.

So well over 2,000 squat sessions and .... there ya go.

Belt? Often, yeah. However, I rarely use it for warm-ups on deadlift (just heaviest sets) or my first two or three sets of squats. Again, just on my heavier lifts.

I am not against the use of these aids, but I also feel they shouldn't become relied upon.

Now knee wraps? ... They will, over time, fuck your knees up in two ways: a) simply from wearing them and their smashing your patella tight into the moving joint, and b) by never allowing your knee to develop in relative synchronicity with your musculature. Therefore, you'll eventually be squatting well beyond your true abilities and, if you ever decide to squat even much less without them, will put your knees in a vulnerable position.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »
Shouldn't run before you can walk. If you can't grip it, don't lift it.

I now believe this to be the best course of action, yes.

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2012, 04:42:18 AM »
I have squatted since day one, 27 years ago, and I honestly have wrapped my knees in a gym fewer than 20 times. I wrapped them in my first power meet, but not my next two. Never again, either.

So well over 2,000 squat sessions and .... there ya go.

Belt? Often, yeah. However, I rarely use it for warm-ups on deadlift (just heaviest sets) or my first two or three sets of squats. Again, just on my heavier lifts.

I am not against the use of these aids, but I also feel they shouldn't become relied upon.

Now knee wraps? ... They will, over time, fuck your knees up in two ways: a) simply from wearing them and their smashing your patella tight into the moving joint, and b) by never allowing your knee to develop in relative synchronicity with your musculature. Therefore, you'll eventually be squatting well beyond your true abilities and, if you ever decide to squat even much less without them, will put your knees in a vulnerable position.

Well I NEVER use either and I lift fairly heavy for a guy my size and one who lives my lifestyle
So apples and oranges.
I could retort that morons quip .here too
It's each to their own. I can see what your saying could be applicable to a meet or competition but in the gym the size and strength of my back is more important than forearm forearms which can be a liability and fail before I've got what I need out of deadlifts... Saying that I can still pull my heaviest strapless.
IMO belts are pointless

Again all down to the individual

choice is an illusion

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2012, 05:02:12 AM »
Ben White could team up with Kerry King to form team SuperCranium.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2012, 05:58:26 AM »
Ben White could team up with Kerry King to form team SuperCranium.

I saw those fuckers back in 2003, their wall of Marshalls almost blew me away 8)

supernick

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2012, 07:30:10 AM »
I now believe this to be the best course of action, yes.
I use wraps for deadlifting only.  My grip will always fail before my back will on the heavy lifts.  Just makes sense to use them.  But on everything else i donyt use them.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2012, 08:46:32 AM »
I use wraps for deadlifting only.  My grip will always fail before my back will on the heavy lifts.  Just makes sense to use them.  But on everything else i donyt use them.

They just don't get it :-\

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 08:57:40 AM »
ha, just got back from the gym, after watching some deadlifting video's was very focused on today's deadlifting workout, got 405 for twenty reps off the floor every rep. One of my favourite video's is the Benedikt Magnusson one where he get so psyched out and spills the container of chalk, lol, then he lifts 940 and doesn't drop it but let's it down slow, amazing,maybe someone can post the video, 8)
Dude,you`re a fucking animal!!

Big props!!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
I hate deadz....with a passion but I know they are a must... Im more of a push guy
did some today
finished on 600...

NICE!!

Props as well bro!

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2012, 08:59:56 AM »
I understand the use of wrist straps for overall back fatigue in a BB-style workout, but in a strength battle such as in the video, if you cannot hold onto it, you can't deadlift it, period.

Poundstone is incredible. Just wish he'd not remain a police officer when he clearly uses.

The other week I finally performed a tight and controlled 10 reps with 500 (495 plus a 2.5 on each end, for all you exacto-critics) without wrist straps (alternate grip, though, obviously). I had perhaps another one or two in the tank, but decided, as I just wanted the 10, I'd spare possible injury and leave it at that.

Real men deadlift.

Great video!
NICE LIFTING!

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »

Well I NEVER use either and I lift fairly heavy for a guy my size and one who lives my lifestyle
So apples and oranges.
I could retort that morons quip .here too
It's each to their own. I can see what your saying could be applicable to a meet or competition but in the gym the size and strength of my back is more important than forearm forearms which can be a liability and fail before I've got what I need out of deadlifts... Saying that I can still pull my heaviest strapless.
IMO belts are pointless

Again all down to the individual

Okay, cool. Good luck with your training, man.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
Dude,you`re a fucking animal!!

Big props!!
Thanks. Will bust out a video soon, I think this year is my break through year on my deadlifts, 5 plates for 15 and 8 plates for a single is the goal by the end of the year, ya I know I am a pussy cause I have to use straps :-[ :-\

mesmorph78

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
Thanks. Will bust out a video soon, I think this year is my break through year on my deadlifts, 5 plates for 15 and 8 plates for a single is the goal by the end of the year, ya I know I am a pussy cause I have to use straps :-[ :-\
8 plates for a single is serious weight.....
no joke...
impressive man
choice is an illusion

Swlabr

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »
8 plates is 765 lbs, right? Very very strong. I'm still working on 6 plates myself. 5.5 so far. ;D

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »

Correct.  You are a pussy.

.. Well, actually, you're just misinformed.  I was too, until a better deadlifter set me straight.

Alternate grip is fine for deadlift and it will take a month (max) for you to adjust to holding it that way.  Once you commit, you will be surprised how quick you will adapt.

I have terrible grip strength and in a standard grip, my hands will fatigue out at 315 (!), yet I have not had any problems pulling close to 600 with an alternate grip.

(There will be some who will correctly point out that they are concerned about the mismatch of an alternate grip, but I sincerely doubt you will lose symmetry over it).

That being said, I go to a gym where the bars are proper deadlifting bars - so the bar feels like almost sandpaper in your hands.  If you work out at a gym full of smoother type bars, you're probably out of luck.

And just for the record, if I heavy row, I do use straps.  It's just not necessary when deadlifting after a period of adjustment.

rocket

• Getbig V
  • Not a champion
« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
And just to clarify.  You're more of a man when you deadlift without straps.  You will laugh at "equipment men" who required supplementary aids for their lifts.

Swlabr

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2012, 03:14:27 PM »
I hate straps, they don't do shit for me. I don't use a belt or straps, only chalk.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2012, 03:15:08 PM »
And just to clarify.  You're more of a man when you deadlift without straps.  You will laugh at "equipment men" who required supplementary aids for their lifts.

Correct.

Chalk, alternate grip or even hook grip and no straps needed. Mental toughness is the barrier for the strap pussies.
P

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
8 plates for a single is serious weight.....
no joke...
impressive man
Haven't done it yet but did 7 plates and a 10 in 09 so we will try, been busting deadlift like crazy lately and the first time ever I am doing deadlifts, bent-over rows and one arm dumbell rows in a single workout, let's just hope nothing goes, have weak left hamsting though