Author Topic: Who believes in God?  (Read 52160 times)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
Re: Who believes in God?
« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2012, 10:51:45 AM »
people cant think of miracles happening without there being a creator

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #126 on: June 17, 2012, 11:00:49 AM »
I do.

It is a personal choice and I have no problem with anyone who does not.

Yeah, but you're the guy who once thought Alfonso Del Rio got his size "without a ton of gear".

No offense bro, it's not a surprise to me you believe in God as well ;)

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #127 on: June 17, 2012, 11:04:05 AM »
The question is: does God believe in Getbig.......?   :-\

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #128 on: June 17, 2012, 11:06:11 AM »
Yeah, but you're the guy who once thought Alfonso Del Rio got his size "without a ton of gear".

No offense bro, it's not a surprise to me you believe in God as well ;)

Incorrect I was the guy who thought it was "huge without being stupidly huge and lean without being stupidly lean"

If you are going to be a twerp at least be accurate.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #129 on: June 17, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
I remember sqauting on a street corner in Londenderry N Ireland in 1987 and thinking, "do they hate me"?.. an old Guy came over to me and touched my shoulder and he said, " ok sohn".

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #130 on: June 17, 2012, 11:12:00 AM »
ill get pretty dam close naturally

Are you any closer to it ;)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #131 on: June 17, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
265lbs with almost 20" arms.

Nowhere near as lean or thick though.

Nearer than I was anyway but as I admitted before I was mistaken thinking I could achieve it.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #132 on: June 17, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
close to death

orion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #133 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
We don't know these things. We are limited creatures on one out of billions of planets in cosmos. That we don't know these things doesn't mean that there is a "god" that created man in his image, nor any other form of personal god that in any form resembles humans or anything humans could understand.

Religious people are unimaginative, foolish and unable to tolerate uncertainty.

I don't know what is out there or if there is any form of "higher" intelligence, but I'm damn sure a bunch of goat or camel herders in the middle east 2000 years ago did not know either. Yet we worship fantasy creatures created by them. Ridiculous!

NN

At the risk of incurring AGR ire, spot on.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #134 on: June 17, 2012, 01:21:25 PM »
We don't know these things. We are limited creatures on one out of billions of planets in cosmos. That we don't know these things doesn't mean that there is a "god" that created man in his image, nor any other form of personal god that in any form resembles humans or anything humans could understand.

Religious people are unimaginative, foolish and unable to tolerate uncertainty.

I don't know what is out there or if there is any form of "higher" intelligence, but I'm damn sure a bunch of goat or camel herders in the middle east 2000 years ago did not know either. Yet we worship fantasy creatures created by them. Ridiculous!

NN
Very good point.  I will go farther by saying that it is far more probable that there is intelligent life on one of the many millions of planets in space.  If a higher power does exist, It is alien. Not Divine.

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2012, 04:47:10 PM »
have considered myself to be a gnostic atheist for a very long time

the more time I have to think about it, the more convinced of I am of my belief

if a supreme being were to exist, the common (judeo-christian, muslim, etc) religions could not be further away from this being's true nature
l

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:34 AM »
I think Wes is the Divine one...of Getbig  ;)

Griffith

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2012, 04:26:04 AM »
What about the spirit and memories of a fruit fly, would they be part of this "continuation" you propose?
I don't know.
Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe we're all reincarnated into some form of other life?
Or maybe there's absolute nothingness?

No-one can say for certain.
All I know is that religions don't have answers, because the people who wrote those books are like you and me.
They have no idea, they can only guess.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2012, 06:06:23 AM »

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2012, 06:10:49 AM »
The more I read into quantum physics and the zero point field, the more I believe. And before you rattle off your typical "GetBigger" stance on the topic replete with your barbs of "fairy tale" and other nonsense...I heartily recommend you become familiar with layman quantum mechanics.

It's actually mind blowing. So? There was a big bang? What was going on before that? (Science has *crickets*) There was nothing? And then..all the sudden...there was something? The Universe? How does that logically differ from.."HEY THERE WAS A FAIRY TALE MAN AND HE MADE THE UNIVERSE"?

So, you non God fearing heathens..you're telling me..that (best science you got, btw) there was nothing and BANG!!! THERE WAS SOMETHING!!

And you laugh at religious people?

Disclaimer: I subscribe to Steve Jobs's view that "all religions are windows to the same house".

Discuss.

I'm not sure I would have stepped in here and slapped you around for your lack of knowledge because I'm not intimately familiar with quantum mechanics; luckily, my main man axvo has owned you sufficiently (and dispelled other stupidity that cropped up in this thread) such that it will be unnecessary.

I do know that some work from the more speculative wing of physics proffers provisional answers to the question of what shape existence took before our universe existed; you can read an accessible article titled "Parallel Universes" by Max Tegmark for such a view. Your characterization of scientists as arguing for a magical "nothing; bang; then something!" model is thus demonstrably false. Certainly, such provisional answers are more plausible than the "conclusion" you have reached (which explains precisely nothing).

Finally, it is interesting that you (eminent scientist that you are) come away from quantum mechanics with a religious (supernatural) view. This result is in fact very unusual: physicists -- people who make their living studying this stuff --  are the least religious (defined broadly as a belief in God) people in all of academia, which is already a rather irreligious place. Why do the people who understand the mechanisms of the universe most evince religiosity least? I think I know the best explanation.

P.S. This is almost certainly a troll thread because the topic is guaranteed to attract many and because you've done nothing but violently attack those who disagree, but in any case it's an interesting subject and maybe a good discussion can be had, independent of you.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:41 AM »
Very good point.  I will go farther by saying that it is far more probable that there is intelligent life on one of the many millions of planets in space.  If a higher power does exist, It is alien. Not Divine.

This

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2012, 11:16:25 AM »
Apparently many "alien abductees" have asked the "god" question to their "captors", and they say that they believe in a Devine God...

Now, whether this is before or after they stick the anal probe in their ass, is not known.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2012, 11:18:51 AM »
The Old Testament shows us that God is a sadistic SOB.....

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:09 AM »
flying spaghetti monster

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2012, 11:24:05 AM »
almighty gnome

godeep

• Getbig II
« Reply #145 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:15 AM »
l

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #146 on: June 18, 2012, 11:26:23 AM »

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #147 on: June 18, 2012, 11:27:09 AM »
If there is a God, where did he/she come from? Is god some landlord that owns this ant farm we call earth?  Does God have a family? Does God have a dad?  A great grand dad?  Uncles and Cousins?  Is God sitting in the clouds, lol.  Where does God live?  What is there to believe in?  Some man wearing all white with a long white beard?  Some midget?  Maybe some chick?  With magical powers?  Really?  Created earth?  with what?  Where did the materials come from.  Did God magically make earth out of nothing?  In the end what is this world?  What is the purpose?  People are born and die everyday, what's the point of that?  Are we just a science experiment that God created for class?
The way human evolution is heading we are going to be wiped out and dead in the next couple hundred years.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #148 on: June 18, 2012, 11:28:04 AM »

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: June 18, 2012, 11:32:23 AM »
If there is a God, where did he/she come from? Is god some landlord that owns this ant farm we call earth?  Does God have a family? Does God have a dad?  A great grand dad?  Uncles and Cousins?  Is God sitting in the clouds, lol.  Where does God live?  What is there to believe in?  Some man wearing all white with a long white beard?  Some midget?  Maybe some chick?  With magical powers?  Really?  Created earth?  with what?  Where did the materials come from.  Did God magically make earth out of nothing?  In the end what is this world?  What is the purpose?  People are born and die everyday, what's the point of that?  Are we just a science experiment that God created for class?
The way human evolution is heading we are going to be wiped out and dead in the next couple hundred years.

We are stardust.