Author Topic: Who believes in God?  (Read 52059 times)

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
Re: Who believes in God?
« Reply #225 on: June 19, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
One more question, if church and state are seperate, what defines a marriage?

If one is in a commited, exclusive, long-term relationship, and having sex, but not married by the church or state, are they sinners if they do not refer to themselves as married, but consider themselves like a married couple?

Of course, this is assuming they share a home together.
I am not sure if you are trolling or not, but I will answere just in case you are not, yes they would be sinning

reclifter

• Getbig III
  • This is what I see.
« Reply #226 on: June 19, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
I am not sure if you are trolling or not, but I will answere just in case you are not, yes they would be sinning

Not tolling. I do appreciate your replies. These are all questions I do have and you do stand firm and seem to understand god very well. Seriously, I do appreciate your point of view.  I enjoy these discussions.

Why would they be sinning?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #227 on: June 19, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
I believe in some amazing creative energy or force that made everything in the universe.

it's way beyond our comprehension.  We are ants trying to learn calculus when it comes to the origin of universe and who/what caused it.  

There's really no denying that it all originated from some explosive energy event.  what caused that, none of us knows.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:57 PM »
Listen SYNTAXMACHINE I do not care how you interprit it and I do not care about lying about it either, the bottom line is that is not what I meant, get over it.

If you think someone is dumb then that means you think you are smarter right... OK well the getbig crowd thinks anyone I repeat anyone that thinks God is real is dumb so I used the numbers to show that that is not the case because inside those numbers are very smart  people like doctors and lawyers and professors, why is it so difficult for you to grasp this. That was my meaning if it does not work for you, sue me, geeeeez!!!

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
OK, now I understand what you mean. I don't think the "a billion people believe it" tidbit is relevant because that is just an appeal to popularity, which is obviously not you intend. You're right, there are very smart Christians out there and the getbig crowd is wrong to the extent that they say only unintelligent people believe in God.
Ha, syntex is a cool dude, thanks for saying that 8)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »
OK, now I understand what you mean. I don't think the "a billion people believe it" tidbit is relevant because that is just an appeal to popularity, which is obviously not you intend. You're right, there are very smart Christians out there and the getbig crowd is wrong to the extent that they say only unintelligent people believe in God.

No, no all Christians are dumb rednecks that have sex with their sisters and carry torches and pitchforks and go lookin for "seenurs" in the name of God. 

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #231 on: June 19, 2012, 06:20:49 PM »
God, LOL.
T

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #232 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
Not believing in God is the ultimate in arrogance.

If you don't believe you have a soul, and there is no God or life after this one ... why not just kill yourself?

Because your conscious tells you not to?

But, what is your conscious?

As you start to examine what exactly your conscious is, you start to realize there is more to life than meets the eye.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: June 19, 2012, 07:09:58 PM »
No need to beg for anything.  All we need to do is confess our sins to God, ask for forgiveness and turn from those sins.   Those with heart aligned with Christ shouldn't have to worry about a lifetime of overcoming sin.  Now certainly we will sin, but fortunately Christ has paid the price for those sins and all we need to do is humble ourselves, confess of those sins, ask for forgiveness and turn from them (as best we're able).  We may need guidance and prayer to help us turn.

Do you really believe this shit ?

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #234 on: June 19, 2012, 07:22:38 PM »
So if I believe in god, and you believe in god, and both our neighbors believe in god, and one neighbor is on a trip to Thailand, and the other is on an airplane headed to Alaska, how can god watch us all at the same time?

I have always wondered this, even as a small child.
My God, that's some small minded thinking right there! The "GOD" concept suggests that the creator isn't affected by earthly limitations - the alleged Creator is all Powerful, all Seeing and not limited by the same restrictions you are - Way to turn God into an Idiot!
V

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #235 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:26 PM »
My God, that's some small minded thinking right there! The "GOD" concept suggests that the creator isn't affected by earthly limitations - the alleged Creator is all Powerful, all Seeing and not limited by the same restrictions you are - Way to turn God into an Idiot!
lol

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #236 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:22 PM »
Satan, Johnny? Really?
The Good, The Bad, and the The Ugly

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: June 19, 2012, 07:37:27 PM »
The Good, The Bad, and the The Ugly

:)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #238 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
life would really seem pointless if you had strong disbeliefs in god

How does a "disbelief in god" make life pointless? Please be specific.

how can you be happy if you feel life is pointless

I don't believe in any deities, and yet I don't feel life is pointless. So before we talk about the happy stuff, how about you answer the simple question: How does a "disbelief in god" make life pointless? Remember to please be specific.

worship a god

Which god?

any god

Oh. Any god. OK... got it. So any god? Even, say, Marduk?  

theorize on his capabilities

So first I believe, then I theorize? Why theorize at that point?

he doesnt have to be omnipotent, just beleive in something more intelligent than yourself...

You don't have to believe in something more intelligent than myself. You have concrete evidence that there are people smarter than yourself; no belief required. I hardly think it makes sense to believe in them as gods though, because you know they aren't gods: they're just smarter than you. And that's hardly a god-like feat.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: June 19, 2012, 08:20:45 PM »
You are only confused cause you haven't read the Bible ( I mean the whole Bible),.. The Bible is always taken out of content cause it's nearly a million words, it is easy to distort it for your own reasoning, Slavery according to the Bible is a sin, why cause it is breaking the laws of the land, why wasn't it a sin in the days of Moses?,, ..simply because the laws of the land allowed slavery, the times change and we must change with, the Bible is followed to be flexible to change in terms of era's, governments, and traditions without inflicting foundations.

So, basically what you're saying is that, in your opinion, God has no problem with slavery qua slavery. In fact, he's A-OK with slavery provided that slavery isn't against human laws. Got it... ::)

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:28 PM »

In which God?

If you don't believe you have a soul, and there is no God or life after this one ... why not just kill yourself?

Because I like being alive, and I am enjoying the limited time on earth way too much to willingly cut it short. No god - or soul - required!

Because, as I said before, I like being alive, and I am enjoying the limited time on earth way too much to willingly cut it short. No god - or soul - required!

Consciousness is an emergent property of the brain.

As you start to examine what exactly your conscious is, you start to realize there is more to life than meets the eye.

And what is that? A super-happy-fun-life that's better than life in every way, but conveniently enough, only happens after death when we shed our mortal coil and transform into some sort of luminous disembodied beings?

MP

• Getbig IV
  • Heavy metal. The only way.
« Reply #241 on: June 19, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
If I'm wrong, then there's nothing to worry about.

If you're wrong, you might be fucked in the next life.

Happy trails.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:19 PM »
So, basically what you're saying is that, in your opinion, God has no problem with slavery qua slavery. In fact, he's A-OK with slavery provided that slavery isn't against human laws. Got it... ::)
Once again you guys are picking bits and pieces here and there, you have to see the entire picture, very simple to put it the way you are and looking like it's wong,. You guys have not read the Bible so you won't be able to understand some of it without reading the whole thing.

I expected a little more from you though, considering you are clearly 1 of the more educated guys on here Answere this.. is there 1 nation on the entire planet that didn't pave the way through slavery,.. No, do you want to know why? cause it is the only way a nation can survive, you can't change history, you guys think you could do a better job back then? Men have the same brains then as now, the only difference is lands now are already conquered, the days of conquest are over. Alternative methods are used that work that would result in chaos then and nations would be easy targets.

So my point slavery wasn't wrong back then weather it is approved by the Bible or not.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: June 19, 2012, 08:52:00 PM »
Ah, Pascal's Wager! It's been discussed, analyzed and dissected since the time Pascal first formulated it, so there's really not much I could add to that discussion, but I will try.

Not true. Perhaps you believe in the wrong deity, and your earthly actions displease the real deity. Besides, think of all the things I wouldn't do in this life if you're wrong but if I acted as if you were right. My neighbor's wife is pretty hot - and she seems to like muscles ;D

If there is a god and a next life, and that god is willing to punish me in the next life for using my rational faculty (which, some say, he endowed me with) in this life, then that says a whole lot about that god.

Happy trails.

Thanks - you too.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #244 on: June 19, 2012, 08:58:24 PM »
So what's the consensus of getbig's intellectuals, is there a God?  ???
follow the arrows

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #245 on: June 19, 2012, 08:59:07 PM »

Happy trails.

Pascals Wager is the poorest argument for the belief in a deity. It has been refuted numerous times.
X

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #246 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:09 PM »
Pascals Wager is the poorest argument for the belief in a deity. It has been refuted numerous times.
Its one of the few ones I do like actually. It does no good to prove a particular diety or religion though.
follow the arrows

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:17 PM »
Once again you guys are picking bits and pieces here and there, you have to see the entire picture, very simple to put it the way you are and looking like it's wong,. You guys have not read the Bible so you won't be able to understand some of it without reading the whole thing.

As I've mentioned before, I've read the entire Bible (more than once, actually) in English and Greek.

I expected a little more from you though, considering you are clearly 1 of the more educated guys on here Answere this.. is there 1 nation on the entire planet that didn't pave the way through slavery,.. No, do you want to know why? cause it is the only way a nation can survive, you can't change history, you guys think you could do a better job back then? Men have the same brains then as now, the only difference is lands now are already conquered, the days of conquest are over. Alternative methods are used that work that would result in chaos then and nations would be easy targets.

So my point slavery wasn't wrong back then weather it is approved by the Bible or not.

Wow... just wow... :o

You wrote: "Slavery according to the Bible is a sin, why cause it is breaking the laws of the land, why wasn't it a sin in the days of Moses?,, ..simply because the laws of the land allowed slavery". You are, in essence, asserting that the God of the Bible doesn't see slavery itself as wrong - it's just one of those things that he's indifferent about - and that it was OK since it was legal back then.

Do you really believe that what is legal is, necessarily, moral? Is adultery, which is legal, also moral?

The question isn't whether the laws of the land allowed slavery or not! From a moral standpoint, slavery is either wrong or it isn't. I assert that whether two thousand years ago, to hundred years ago or two days ago slavery was wrong. I assert that regardless of the prevailing law of the land at the time, slavery was, is and will be wrong, no matter what the law happens to say.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #248 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:34 PM »
Its one of the few ones I do like actually. It does no good to prove a particular diety or religion though.

Well, you could look at it like that. On the other hand, you give up something dearly in this life when you believe in a deity, especially the really religious people. If you die and find out there is no God, you spent a whole life doing what? Praying and not masturbating. Yeah, Ill pass ha lol
X

reclifter

• Getbig III
  • This is what I see.
« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2012, 11:16:32 PM »

God is much like an imaginary friend. He's always there. He never talks back. He makes you feel like you're never alone. Whether it be real or not, he can give you hope when nothing else can.

You are right. There is always more than meets the eye.

Living life without God or any other crutch is a very challenging quest. That is being conscious at its highest level. Living in reality.

Don't get me wrong. God, for some people, is an amazing tool to help them get in touch with reality.  God can help people understand the otherwise, incoherent thoughts and events life throws at them.