Author Topic: Who Never Had a Bad Match??  (Read 6861 times)

littleguns

• Getbig V
Re: Who Never Had a Bad Match??
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2012, 05:05:14 AM »
Never had the chance to watch Magnum TA but in a recent interview Lanny Poffo said Magnum was to be the next coming, looks, technical ability etc. I believe either Dusty or Flair said also said he was destined to have the keys to the castle. Sad what happened.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2012, 07:02:36 AM »
Never had the chance to watch Magnum TA but in a recent interview Lanny Poffo said Magnum was to be the next coming, looks, technical ability etc. I believe either Dusty or Flair said also said he was destined to have the keys to the castle. Sad what happened.

You know, I've got so much respect for Magnum TA. I watched an interview he did not too long ago, and given the circumstances, he's done everything right.
He kept everything in perspective and maintained a very positive attitude.
He moved on, pushed forward, and now owns a very successful communications tower company.

I've listened to guys who made it to the big time bitch & moan today about the business and how badly they got screwed. Magnum was poised to be THE TOP player. He probably had the most momentum and potential of anyone in the industry at the time and had it all taken away from him with that unfortunate accident.
I couldn't believe how honest and positive he came across when discussing that time in his life in the interview.

Magnum TA may be the most deserving pro-wrestler to be bitter about what happened to him, yet he is among the most positive I know of. He and Nikita are two class acts in that respect. Nikita had a lot going for himself, too, and was forced out early.
Both of these guys are a real pleasure to listen to.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »

You know, I've got so much respect for Magnum TA. I watched an interview he did not too long ago, and given the circumstances, he's done everything right.
He kept everything in perspective and maintained a very positive attitude.
He moved on, pushed forward, and now owns a very successful communications tower company.

I've listened to guys who made it to the big time bitch & moan today about the business and how badly they got screwed. Magnum was poised to be THE TOP player. He probably had the most momentum and potential of anyone in the industry at the time and had it all taken away from him with that unfortunate accident.
I couldn't believe how honest and positive he came across when discussing that time in his life in the interview.

Magnum TA may be the most deserving pro-wrestler to be bitter about what happened to him, yet he is among the most positive I know of. He and Nikita are two class acts in that respect. Nikita had a lot going for himself, too, and was forced out early.
Both of these guys are a real pleasure to listen to.

Why did Nikita retire early?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2012, 02:46:09 PM »
Why did Nikita retire early?

He suffered cervical disc damage and, I believe, a hiatal hernia - both during a match with Vader.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »

He suffered cervical disc damage and, I believe, a hiatal hernia - both during a match with Vader.

Vader has a history of messing people up... He would be the last person I would want to have a match with.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
Vader has a history of messing people up... He would be the last person I would want to have a match with.

From what I hear, he didn't mess up Paul Orndorff.   :D
~

GraniteCityDon

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 04:58:28 PM »
a prime Davey Boy was consistently incredible, cant think Dibiase had too many stinkers - if any?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
The way I understand it, Vader was always a genuinely nice guy, but he "played rough." He often stiffed the shit out of guys in the ring; not to be mean or a bully, but because that was simply how he worked. Maybe he spent too much time in Japan.

Most of the boys knew & understood Vader's style. A few, like HBK, took issue with it. While I don't remember the details, I do recall Orndorff getting into a scrap with Leon backstage. I think Paul knocked him out while wearing flip-flops coming out of the shower.

As for Nikita, I honestly don't believe he harbors any ill feelings towards Vader over the incident. It was an unfortunate accident; nothing more.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 06:16:58 PM »
a prime Davey Boy was consistently incredible, cant think Dibiase had too many stinkers - if any?

Most of you guys know that I'm a HUGE mark for the Bulldogs.

Yes, Davey was an excellent hand in the ring. The only criticism I've ever heard regarding him is that he was more of a follower than a leader in matches. He could give you whatever you wanted, but you had to be the one calling the shots.
That was the case as far back as the BBD/Hart Foundation feud. Dynamite & Bret would do most of the thinking/planning for their matches while Jim & Davey more or less sat back and listened.

It also sounds like Jim had an unhealthy influence on Davey. It seems that while both men were living in Florida with their families, Jim became a heavy user of hard rec drugs. After spending a lot of time together, Davey soon followed.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2012, 07:53:50 PM »
A hit based on gimmick... nothing more.

That's my opinion and I am sticking to it... Dude has never had more than 10 moves... Never will.

No gimmick works this well for this long, unless the guy behind it has the goods. That is the case with Mark Callaway. He has the talent, the work ethic, and the athleticism. The Undertaker character was the missing piece. Once he got that, the rest is history.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2012, 10:36:51 PM »
No gimmick works this well for this long, unless the guy behind it has the goods. That is the case with Mark Callaway. He has the talent, the work ethic, and the athleticism. The Undertaker character was the missing piece. Once he got that, the rest is history.

We will never agree... I simply do not see this great "athleticism" that you see.

Does he have a great work ethic? Rumor has it, yes... Is he entertaining? Sure... but I don't see him as a good wrestler.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 05:28:24 AM »

I think it also had to do with his wife developing cancer and he wanted to spend more time with her.  I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if she is still living.  A guy I used to work with knew Nikita quite well.  He knew him thru Nikita doing a lot of work at churches around the Charlotte area.  Said he was a very nice guy, funny and considering how long it has been he was still in very good shape.  This was about 2 yrs ago.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 06:13:11 AM »
I think it also had to do with his wife developing cancer and he wanted to spend more time with her.  I'm ashamed to admit I don't know if she is still living.  A guy I used to work with knew Nikita quite well.  He knew him thru Nikita doing a lot of work at churches around the Charlotte area.  Said he was a very nice guy, funny and considering how long it has been he was still in very good shape.  This was about 2 yrs ago.

I believe that I read or heard in an interview (or somewhere) that Nikita's first wife passed away shortly after his ring-retirement. I understand that he remarried.