Author Topic: Educational Videos and Articles about Islam  (Read 230519 times)

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
Re: Educational Videos and Articles about Islam
« Reply #1200 on: August 18, 2013, 05:35:20 PM »
Sure but that still does not mean that you desecrate these things or use it as an excuse to desecrate them or insult and hurt people's feelings in regards to them as an excuse that these are 'just objects' either.

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest." [13:28]

Muslims get into drugs as well. But let me guess... those aren't real Muslims™. ::)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1201 on: August 18, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
Your point is invalid. Islam prohibits narcotics and intoxicants. Even if there are muslims who drink alcohol it does not change the fact that islam prohibits alcohol and it is harmful.

Those who do not follow islam will not benefit from Islam even if they claim to be muslim. They are sinners and their sin is upon themselves.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #1202 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:06 PM »
Sure but that still does not mean that you desecrate these things or use it as an excuse to desecrate them or insult and hurt people's feelings in regards to them as an excuse that these are 'just objects' either.

"...Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest." [13:28]

You do agree though that people, muslims included, attribute value and symbolism to objects?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1203 on: August 19, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
People also attribute value to family, children, their health, so your point is still mute. Obviously people value different things and place value on things.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1204 on: August 19, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »
People also attribute value to family, children, their health, so your point is still mute. Obviously people value different things and place value on things.

The point is if Islam is vehemently opposed to idolatry why do muslims try to kiss the black stone or the Qu'ran?
And why do they place so much value on a copy of the Qu'ran, a material item, and there are often bloody and deadly protests at the mere suspicion that a Qu'ran was defaced in some way?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1205 on: August 19, 2013, 04:53:28 PM »
Because the qur'an is the revelation of God and the words of God hence it is sacred to us. Kissing it is not mandatory nor ordained but some people do that as a form of respect and gratitude. The qur'an is meant to be read, understood and practiced.

Why do we kiss the stone? Because the prophet (pbuh) did it, however the stone itself brings neither benefit or harm, hence it's not an idol we worship. If people believed that it brings benefit then it would be idolatry but it does not.

You clearly have not read the qur'an if you make such silly assertions. It is helpless and provides nothing. So we do not worship it or anything in the creation. Our worship is strictly to God and not the creation.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1206 on: August 19, 2013, 05:16:28 PM »
Because the qur'an is the revelation of God and the words of God hence it is sacred to us. Kissing it is not mandatory nor ordained but some people do that as a form of respect and gratitude. The qur'an is meant to be read, understood and practiced.

If then you venerate the spiritual and not material nature of the Qu'ran, why do muslims get upset if someone "disrespects" it or defaces it? This does not affect a devout muslim's faith nor would change whatever
"truth" your religion attributes to it.

Why do we kiss the stone? Because the prophet (pbuh) did it, however the stone itself brings neither benefit or harm, hence it's not an idol we worship. If people believed that it brings benefit then it would be idolatry but it does not.

You clearly have not read the qur'an if you make such silly assertions. It is helpless and provides nothing. So we do not worship it or anything in the creation. Our worship is strictly to God and not the creation.

You do not consider kissing the stone worship?
It appears the rationale is "if Muhammad did it, it is ok no questions asked"? Why did Mohammad kiss the stone?
These are not worship and idolatry but any artifact, symbol, image or statue that is not muslim is idolatry? Do you think that other infidel religions that have images or statues worship the actual image or statue?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1207 on: August 19, 2013, 05:51:58 PM »
If then you venerate the spiritual and not material nature of the Qu'ran, why do muslims get upset if someone "disrespects" it or defaces it? This does not affect a devout muslim's faith nor would change whatever
"truth" your religion attributes to it.

If I slander your mother and call her names and accuse you of things you'd be mad and tell me you wouldn't wana hit me. Now you're gonna say "oh but that's different". Well to us it's God's word which is significant whether you like it or not. It's sacred to us.

Imagine someone throws toilette residue on your mother? Oh but it's just material, it's not her internal. Sorry you wouldn't buy it and don't give me crap about but that's different. It's about respect, dignity, sanctity and honor. You don't put value on it but we do.

You do not consider kissing the stone worship?
It appears the rationale is "if Muhammad did it, it is ok no questions asked"? Why did Mohammad kiss the stone?
These are not worship and idolatry but any artifact, symbol, image or statue that is not muslim is idolatry? Do you think that other infidel religions that have images or statues worship the actual image or statue?
Yes they do, catholics supplicate to statues of Mary (peace be upon her), supplicate to statues of Jesus (pbuh).

We do not supplicate to it nor believe  in it benefiting us in anyway.

Why are islamophobes so obsessed with the kaba or the stone trying to prove we're idolators. It's pretty retarded because it clearly shows you don't know the fundemental teachings of Islam nor have ever read what the qur'an says.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1208 on: August 19, 2013, 07:56:15 PM »
If I slander your mother and call her names and accuse you of things you'd be mad and tell me you wouldn't wana hit me. Now you're gonna say "oh but that's different". Well to us it's God's word which is significant whether you like it or not. It's sacred to us.

Sorry, I don't believe in the initiation of physical violence and I believe in freedom of speech. You can run your mouth off as much as you like, but if you rise to a level actionable under the law, then my Mother would almost certainly sue you.

Imagine someone throws toilette residue on your mother? Oh but it's just material, it's not her internal. Sorry you wouldn't buy it and don't give me crap about but that's different. It's about respect, dignity, sanctity and honor. You don't put value on it but we do.

If someone throws something towards another, then that person has chosen to initiate the use of violence; when someone chooses to initiate the use of violence, they voluntarily and consciously choose to deal in violence. I don't have any problem with responding to someone in the only manner in which they understand.

Why are islamophobes so obsessed with the kaba or the stone trying to prove we're idolators. It's pretty retarded because it clearly shows you don't know the fundemental teachings of Islam nor have ever read what the qur'an says.

So, you'd be ok with smashing the stone then? Right?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1209 on: August 19, 2013, 09:31:09 PM »
I don't believe in your 'free speech', because your 'free speech' is situationaly selective and includes hate, slander and incitement as 'free speech' when it suits your interests and doesn't when it doesn't suit your interests. A hypocrite system.

There is no such thing as all out freedom either. This is reality.

You like to play this 'free speech' card when it means you can slime attack others when you deem fit. I'd love to see how your cynical pseudo-pacifistic approach would go for in real life if someone was yelling at your mother verbally and not 'initiating violence'. Quickly your selective 'free speech' would end. You believe in 'free speech' when it suits your interests only.

Oh lol your mother would sue someone who yells at her to the full extent of the law? That sounds pretty laughable.

Law of who? Your man made law? That you make up and shaep as you see fit? How about I don't believe in your man made law? Freedom of belief, freedom of speech, oh wait it doesn't work like that suddenly? Wait you want to subjugate me to your man made law?

So if you make up laws that allow you to 'free speech' your hate all to your heart's extent someone as free speech its all good now isn't it.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1210 on: August 19, 2013, 11:30:49 PM »
I don't believe in your 'free speech', because your 'free speech' is situationaly selective and includes hate, slander and incitement as 'free speech' when it suits your interests and doesn't when it doesn't suit your interests. A hypocrite system.

There's little doubt that you don't believe in free speech – any kind of free speech, except perhaps the free speech to spout out your religious nonsense; a right which you would likely deny others.

As for "my" free speech, I don't like slander but I don't believe in prior restraint. The right to speak should be protected but people who speak assume a resposnibility and if they slander someone, the law should (and does) provide tools to deal with those slanderous statements.

If people want to waste their speech spreading hate, so be it. I'd rather have that than have some censorious thug prevent someone from speaking under the guise that the speech is hate.

And as for incitement, although I don't believe you have the right to yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater, I think that people are responsible for their actions and a speech doesn't twist arms.

There is no such thing as all out freedom either. This is reality.

Yes, this is reality. A reality in which my rights to speak out are getting curtailed because you believe you have a right to not be offended. It doesn't work that way.

You like to play this 'free speech' card when it means you can slime attack others when you deem fit. I'd love to see how your cynical pseudo-pacifistic approach would go for in real life if someone was yelling at your mother verbally and not 'initiating violence'. Quickly your selective 'free speech' would end. You believe in 'free speech' when it suits your interests only.

Seeing how you don't know me, it's funny that you believe that you do and proceed to make grand proclamations about what my behavior would be. I think that I am much better suited to tell you how I would react, if for no other reason because I've spent all my life observing my reactions.

Oh lol your mother would sue someone who yells at her to the full extent of the law? That sounds pretty laughable.

That depends on what he said. If it was actionable (e.g. a slanderous statement) then yes, she would.

Law of who? Your man made law? That you make up and shaep as you see fit? How about I don't believe in your man made law? Freedom of belief, freedom of speech, oh wait it doesn't work like that suddenly? Wait you want to subjugate me to your man made law?

The law of the land in which my mother and the hypothetical person slandering her reside in. Whether you believe in the laws of a society is irrelevant. You choose - of your own free will - to live in a society and gain all the benefits it affords you and the price for living in that society is that you subjugate yourself to the laws of that society. If you don't like the laws of the society you can try to change them using the appropriate processes or you can leave and join another society that's more inline with your viewpoints.

So if you make up laws that allow you to 'free speech' your hate all to your heart's extent someone as free speech its all good now isn't it.

I'm not sure how to even parse this sentence. You're welcome to rephrase if you want. But suffice it to say that I believe in robust protections for speech and if that means that some people choose to use that protection for hate speech, then that is what those people will choose to do. It's much more preferable to the alternative.

Of course, just because I believe in free speech doesn't mean I condone hate speech. The only difference is that I believe that the best antidote to hate speech isn't a muzzle. It's more speech.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1211 on: August 20, 2013, 09:13:30 AM »
More atheist cynical hypocrite blabber to quote and respond to no thanks  ::)

As I said you call free speech whenever you wana slander or attack Muslims or Islam. Well good for you, just glad I can pinpoint what 'free speech' means to you. Sorry I don't believe in your selective hypocritical and cynical 'free speech'.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1212 on: August 20, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #1213 on: August 20, 2013, 11:01:12 AM »
I'll preface this by observing that once again you do not reply to genuine questions but proceed to ad hominem attacks.

You mention that to you (I assume you mean every muslim in the world?) "god's word" is significant and sacred. Fair point. Wouldn't the Qu'rans be man made objects though? And wouldn't the "word of god" reside in the minds of the people and not in a mere book?
Does that mean if someone rips a page from the Qu'ran then whatever was written in those pages is invalid or non existent? Or if someone burns a Qu'ran does that mean the "word of god" has been destroyed and invalidated for muslims? Or if a publishing house that publishes the Qu'ran is burned down due to lightning? Or if someone buys the Qu'ran, reads it and then throws it away because they did not like it? Is there no distinction in islam between content, context, essence, freedom and the actual material nature?
And do you agree with the violent, bloody and sometimes deadly protests that erupt whenever any alleged incident involving the Qu'ran is publicized? (notice I said "alleged" and did not state that each and every muslim goes out to kill others for that).

You mention "respect, dignity, sanctity and honor". It looks from the way it is written like that is an exclusive privilege and a pillar of islam. But do you maintain these practices for others too? And has islam (as a whole) maintained these also? Or are the infidels and idolaters degenerate animals that do not posses these traits and do not deserve them?

Yes they do, catholics supplicate to statues of Mary (peace be upon her), supplicate to statues of Jesus (pbuh).

We do not supplicate to it nor believe  in it benefiting us in anyway.

So whenever catholics pray they worship the actual stone, statue or image that is in front of them or in their vicinity and this object is their actual god? Essentially then would any religious object near the presence of believers be considered idolatry?

At any rate, according to your version of idealized and perfect islam, why would someone who is so devout and clear in his vision and understanding of religion and god, fear seeing or showing the face of Mohammad? Would muslims resort to idolatry if Mohammad's face was revealed in images or drawings? If Mohammad would somehow magically appear would that mean that all muslims who see him will be blinded or killed or commit idolatry?

Even though some might argue about the divine origin of the stone, still many muslims try to kiss it. This is attributed to the fact that Mohammad kissed it and therefore they try to emulate him. Why did Mohammad kiss it though? Do you blindly do whatever Mohammad did regardless of its scope or meaning? And if at any rate, it does not benefit the muslims in any way as you say, why do muslims do it? And why is the stone not destroyed?

I don't know who you're referring to but in my case there is no fear (I assume you understand?).
I asked genuine questions before and I asked again many genuine questions in this post. However you once again proceed with ad hominem attacks without the slightest insight or knowledge about others. I hope you will answer these questions (hopefully all of them) since you appear to be the definitive muslim scholarly authority here.

avxo

• Getbig V
« Reply #1214 on: August 20, 2013, 11:32:15 AM »
More atheist cynical hypocrite blabber to quote and respond to no thanks  ::)

As I said you call free speech whenever you wana slander or attack Muslims or Islam. Well good for you, just glad I can pinpoint what 'free speech' means to you. Sorry I don't believe in your selective hypocritical and cynical 'free speech'.

You can distort my position if it will make you feel better, but it's quite obvious that I believe in a very robust legal framework that ensures free speech for everyone – even those who would use speech to say things I don't like.

Will some use free speech to attack Muslims and Islam? Sure. Just as some will use to attack politicians, artists, scientists, atheists, my favorite 1980s cartoon, Dexter Jackson and to criticize Arnold's decision to have sex with a hecho-in-mexico couch. Hell, some may even use it to attack me.

And you know what? All that is just fine. You see, I don't think that the solution to those things is to suppress or limit speech. The solution is to have more speech.

You, on the other hand, believe that you are, somehow, entitled to not be offended and that, somehow, that translates into a restriction in what I can say. I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you: you don't have a right to not be offended nor do your sensibilities and beliefs grant you the power to restrict my speech.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1215 on: August 20, 2013, 06:17:23 PM »
Tldr

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1216 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:28 PM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1217 on: August 21, 2013, 06:59:02 AM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1218 on: August 23, 2013, 03:10:31 PM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1219 on: August 24, 2013, 08:06:12 PM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1220 on: August 28, 2013, 09:03:07 AM »
Narrated Abu Huraira: Allah's Apostle said, "Beware of suspicion, for it is the worst of false tales and don't look for the other's faults and don't spy and don't hate each other, and don't desert (cut your relations with) one another. O Allah's slaves, be brothers!" - Sahih Al Bukhari, Vol. 8 Number 717

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1221 on: August 30, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
Very beautiful lecture

stingray

• Getbig III
« Reply #1222 on: September 05, 2013, 12:09:35 AM »

After the Free #Syrian Army destroyed the #Assad regime's main checkpoint in the Ancient Christian town of Maaloula and captured the WHOLE city, they have decided to retreat from the city, AND HERE'S WHY:

The village of Maaloula is an ancient city with great historical value to the whole world, and specifically the Christian faith. It is the only place in the world where the Western Aramaic language, the same language and dialect of Jesus, is still spoken. The village also holds many beautiful Monasteries and Churches that hold great value to both Muslims and Christians.

After the city was captured by the FSA, the Assad regime responded by indiscriminately bombing the village and putting its historic sites at risk of destruction. Even though the FSA FOUGHT HARD to win the city, they RETREATED from the city out of respect for its historical sites so that the regime's bombing wouldn't destroy them. I can't tell you how many Mosques have been destroyed by the regime in rebel held districts, but they would still refuse to retreat.

Throughout the revolution, many media outlets have been claiming that the FSA are Islamists who "hate Christianity" and "kill innocent Christians." These supposed "Islamists" gave up their lives to liberate a city, and then withdrew out of respect for its Historical Sites that hold great value to the Christian faith! Now that's RESPECT and NOT hate.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1223 on: September 08, 2013, 06:44:38 PM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #1224 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:44 AM »