Author Topic: To Christians: Since he doesn`t worship Jesus Romney is going to hell correct?  (Read 31287 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Agnostic007, what is your opinion on the implication of the following verses (concerning the claim of Jesus being divine).  These verses are strikingly similar to how Islam describes Jesus:

"My Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

"I do nothing of myself, but as the Father taught me, I speak these things." (John 8:28)

"He who rejects me rejects Him who sent me." (Luke 10:16)

"But now I go away to Him who sent me." (John 16:5)

"Jesus answered them and said, 'My doctrine is not mine, but His who sent me.'" (John 7:16) <---Exactly what any prophet would say

"For I have not spoken on my authority; but the Father who sent me gave me a command, what I should say and what I should speak." (John 12:49)

"I am ascending to my father and your father, and to my God and your God." (John 20:17) <---i.e. the general population's God is the same as Jesus' God.

Those are examples of some of the scriptures presented to refute the "Jesus is GOD" position. There are many more available. They underscore the problem with trying to to declare Jesus as GOD. The simple fact Jesus can't sit at the right hand side of himself at the throne is telling enough.   

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Those are examples of some of the scriptures presented to refute the "Jesus is GOD" position. There are many more available. They underscore the problem with trying to to declare Jesus as GOD. The simple fact Jesus can't sit at the right hand side of himself at the throne is telling enough.   

Please, I'd like to understand in more detail why Jesus can't do that.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
And those who knew him described him as a prophet too:

"This is Jesus, the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee" (Matthew 21:11)

"A great prophet has risen up among us..." (Luke 7:16)

"a prophet mighty in deed..." (Luke 24:19)

"Sir, I perceive that you are a prophet." (John 4:19) <--Note if Jesus were more than a prophet why woudlnt he respond and tell her that in the next verse?

If you would please, tell me what the Holy Spirit is.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
Please, I'd like to understand in more detail why Jesus can't do that.

If Jesus meant he would be sitting at the right hand side of himself (as little sense as that makes), the sensible thing to do would have been to clarify and say "I'll be sitting at the right hand side of myself" and then there wouldn't be any debate over whether he meant something different than how it reads (that he is a separate entity from God).  But of course he had no reason to say he'll be sitting at the right hand side of himself because that's not what he meant.   Interpreting it as such is a stretching attempt to hold on to the belief that Jesus is God.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
If Jesus meant he would be sitting at the right hand side of himself (as little sense as that makes), the sensible thing to do would have been to clarify and say "I'll be sitting at the right hand side of myself" and then there wouldn't be any debate over whether he meant something different than how it reads (that he is a separate entity from God).  But of course he had no reason to say he'll be sitting at the right hand side of himself because that's not what he meant.   Interpreting it as such is a stretching attempt to hold on to the belief that Jesus is God.
If you would please, explain what he meant.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
lol what is there to elaborate if he is supposedly God why would he be sitting on the right hand of God? Confused yet?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
lol what is there to elaborate if he is supposedly God why would he be sitting on the right hand of God? Confused yet?

No confusion on my part, I just wanted those asserting it's impossibility to explain that in a bit more detail.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
If you would please, explain what he meant.

Jesus said he will sit on the right side of God; he did not say that he would be sitting at the right side of himself, meaning he's not God.

What do you think he meant?  That he would be sitting at the right hand side of himself?

bigbobs

• Getbig V
No confusion on my part, I just wanted those asserting it's impossibility to explain that in a bit more detail.

So your defense is that it's "not impossible"? - that's a pretty weak stance compared to being able to show that it's "likely" or "definite"

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Jesus said he will sit on the right side of God; he did not say that he would be sitting at the right side of himself, meaning he's not God.

What do you think he meant?  That he would be sitting at the right hand side of himself?

Thx, just curious what explanation would be given.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
So your defense is that it's "not impossible"? - that's a pretty weak stance compared to being able to show that it's "likely" or "definite"

Didn't make a defense, asked for more explanation.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
Didn't make a defense, asked for more explanation.

Okay, so what's your interpretation of the verse where he states he'll be at the right hand side of God?

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
This is just ludicrous.. its quite obvious... again like i said bfeore.. its as if you are trying to prove that God is bipolar its ridiculous... you are going to such far extents away from scripture and what it says and your own conjecture.

He said that he would be at the right hand of God.

I would be at the right hand of myself? This is just ridiculous.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Okay, so what's your interpretation of the verse where he states he'll be at the right hand side of God?

Just another reference to the triune nature of God.....father, son and spirit.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
Just another reference to the triune nature of God.....father, son and spirit.

You can't seriously argue that if you had read that verse on your own without ever having heard of the Trinity that you would come to the same conclusion that it's a reference to the triune nature of God.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
You can't seriously argue that if you had read that verse on your own without ever having heard of the Trinity that you would come to the same conclusion that it's a reference to the triune nature of God.

Really couldn't say whether I would have or not with that verse and no knowledge of the Trinity....the situation didn't play out that way for me.  Fortunately, I had many others verses supporting the Trinity; still, what sealed the deal for me was my expression of faith in the risen God Jesus Christ followed by the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit made manifest in my daily life that clarified who God the father, son and spirit are.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
Really couldn't say whether I would have or not with that verse and no knowledge of the Trinity....the situation didn't play out that way for me.  Fortunately, I had many others verses supporting the Trinity; still, what sealed the deal for me was my expression of faith in the risen God Jesus Christ followed by the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit made manifest in my daily life that clarified who God the father, son and spirit are.

Interesting that Unitarians do not get that same indwelling and understanding of the Trinity, as don't the numerous Christians who were brutally killed by the church for refusing the then-new Trinity doctrine, ex. the Carpocrates, Paulicians and Basilideans.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
Interesting that Unitarians do not get that same indwelling and understanding of the Trinity, as don't the numerous Christians who were brutally killed by the church for refusing the then-new Trinity doctrine, ex. the Carpocrates, Paulicians and Basilideans.

Would you help me understand how a unitarian or any group that denies the Holy Spirit could be indwelt by it? 

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser

That makes so much emotional sense, but has nothing to do with scripture. So basically you are following your whims and desires. I understand this much. And to suit your whims and desires you are making up meanings to verses even though they clearly are nothing what you are portraying them as.

You are also ignoring the countless hundreds of verses which afirm Jesus as merely a man, a prophet, not knowing, not capable to do without God's permission, etc...

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
That makes so much emotional sense, but has nothing to do with scripture. So basically you are following your whims and desires. I understand this much.

AHAHAHAAHHAHAHA!!!!

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
You shouldn't be the one laughing. I feel sorry for you.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
Would you help me understand how a unitarian or any group that denies the Holy Spirit could be indwelt by it? 

I don't believe even a Trinitarian is "indwelt" with the Holy Spirit, so the question isn't really relevent.  But entertaining indwelling, Unitarians would have considered the Trinitiy interpretation prior to declaring themselves Unitarian, so my point still stands that not every Christian who tries to understand the Bible will will feel this indwelling that you describe.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
You shouldn't be the one laughing. I feel sorry for you.

It is comical now ahmed....completely and totally comical. 

I will say that I have learned a ton about Islam, Muslims and how they interact with others. Between you and bigbobs....it's been an eye opening experience to say the very least.....a crash course in Islam.  It makes me want to read the Quaran and learn more about what I've simply heard through others.  All I can say is that I fully understand now what others have told me and that I've read about.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
I don't believe even a Trinitarian is "indwelt" with the Holy Spirit, so the question isn't really relevent.  

I stopped after your first statement.  We have a complete and total, fundamental disconnect.  Muslim says white, Christian says black.  Christian says left, Muslim says right.  Muslim says stop, Christian says go.....and on and on and on ad nauseum.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
It stopped after your first statement.  Exactly, it's a complete and total, fundamental disconnect.

Translation - you don't have anything (except perhaps emotional) to deny the following:

Entertaining indwelling, Unitarians would have considered the Trinitiy interpretation prior to declaring themselves Unitarian, so my point still stands that not every Christian who tries to understand the Bible will will feel this indwelling that you describe.