Author Topic: Gravity Boots  (Read 27203 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Gravity Boots
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:47:13 AM »
Now this is a Blast from the past...any of you guys use these? I mean not just for Ab training. Frank Zane used these and did a Dumbbell rowing movement. I have never tried it and might try it. Anyone still use them?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: Gravity Boots
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 05:18:09 AM »
i'm interested in them too... i've been doing inversions for a while now as part of yoga... my only fear is that after 20-30 minutes of hanging upside-down i could get stuck...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 05:21:12 AM »
i'm interested in them too... i've been doing inversions for a while now as part of yoga... my only fear is that after 20-30 minutes of hanging upside-down i could get stuck...
;D...yes i understand Wooo. do you feel a benefit for your spine? I have always wondered if it would be good to do it and try a few rows in this position.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Now this is a Blast from the past...any of you guys use these? I mean not just for Ab training. Frank Zane used these and did a Dumbbell rowing movement. I have never tried it and might try it. Anyone still use them?
i have a pair these are first generation ones you have pictured not supposed to be good for calves or ankles. you'd be better off with an inversion table. the second generation gravity boots had calf supports. frank calta mr pa used to do a lot of upside down exercises reverse db presses etc. jcg used to do similar exercises in the past and said they stretched him out a fukk inch and a half taller.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:55:17 AM »
 ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »

Don,

Every experience I've heard regarding inversion apparatus has been very positive. My first gym was a very old-school place, and lots of the veteran lifters swore by the benefits of using the hooks/boots.

Today, I believe that inversion tables are a little more popular, and you can find a variety of models with more features than imaginable. You'll pay more for the better ones, but price should not be your primary concern when hanging upside-down.

I share your interest in the boots and have done a little research on them. I also know somebody on here who used to sell fitness equipment, and he told me that Teeter is a reliable brand in this department.
I'm currently eyeing up these babies: http://www.teeter-inversion.com/Store/P-B11001/Gravity+Boots

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:46:18 PM »
 ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:48:42 PM »
I've always like that picture, but more so for the blond to Arnold's right. A year ago, I would have said he probably tapped that, but knowing his true preference now...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
I've always like that picture, but more so for the blond to Arnold's right. A year ago, I would have said he probably tapped that, but knowing his true preference now...
i think but  not sure the girl is the famous heidi. the same girl on arnold's shoulders in the pumping iron book.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 01:25:25 PM »
 ;D
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 02:08:01 PM »

Don,

Every experience I've heard regarding inversion apparatus has been very positive. My first gym was a very old-school place, and lots of the veteran lifters swore by the benefits of using the hooks/boots.

Today, I believe that inversion tables are a little more popular, and you can find a variety of models with more features than imaginable. You'll pay more for the better ones, but price should not be your primary concern when hanging upside-down.

I share your interest in the boots and have done a little research on them. I also know somebody on here who used to sell fitness equipment, and he told me that Teeter is a reliable brand in this department.
I'm currently eyeing up these babies: http://www.teeter-inversion.com/Store/P-B11001/Gravity+Boots

yes thanks Monty. look great and just what i need. Can use them on my free standing chinning bar set up. Even a small piece of Kit can give you a new workout challange... Funky i have read about the famous Heidi too...think it is her... ;D

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
;D...yes i understand Wooo. do you feel a benefit for your spine? I have always wondered if it would be good to do it and try a few rows in this position.

i enjoy inversions... i come out of them refreshed... almost feels like i took a nap

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 03:50:32 AM »
i think but  not sure the girl is the famous heidi. the same girl on arnold's shoulders in the pumping iron book.

Hmm...unless she had her tits done between shoots, I don't think that's the same girl. The side-boob aspect looks too different.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 06:11:00 AM »
From gravity boots to gravity boobs ???

;D
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:25 AM »
Any advantage with the inversion board, over the boots? Seems it would be easier to get in and out of for a lot off people.

WOOO...The classic headstand positions, forearms 90 degrees, in you class?

Good Luck.
F

chris-a

• Getbig III
  • fundamentalist atheist - guns + religion don't mix
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 12:34:39 PM »
i've used gravity boots to stretch out after work outs for a few years now. if i don't hang i find i'm subject to far more niggly twinges and muscle aches. also gives a nice alertness enhancement feel after too (blood flow to the brain effect).
i hang from the chin up bar on my squat rack (used to use an inversion table but found the clamps uncomfortable, changed these over to boots).
i love em...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2012, 12:49:33 PM »
I believe that they are a very simple but effective  addition to a workout...old  school but  none the less effective

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »
Any advantage with the inversion board, over the boots? Seems it would be easier to get in and out of for a lot off people.

WOOO...The classic headstand positions, forearms 90 degrees, in you class?

Good Luck.

board is way easier to use than just boots... i'm doing both the shoulder stand, the headstand (90 degree angled hands)and the elbow stand (this one is hardest for me right now)

typically i hold the shoulder stand (really easy) or the headstand for the most amount of time

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2012, 06:30:53 PM »
my dad used to have a pair and used them for his lower back.

He said they were great but a pain in the ass to get in and out of position.

Ive had back problems on and off for year and have thought about an inversion device as well.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2012, 02:02:52 AM »

board is way easier to use than just a board... i'm doing both the shoulder stand, the headstand (90 degree angled hands)and the elbow stand (this one is hardest for me right now)

typically i hold the shoulder stand (really easy) or the headstand for the most amount of time
Wooo your an all round talent ! ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »
my dad used to have a pair and used them for his lower back.

He said they were great but a pain in the ass to get in and out of position.

Ive had back problems on and off for year and have thought about an inversion device as well.

Almost all of the serious power-lifters I knew from my old local Gold's would use either the gravity boots, inversion table, the Loui Simmons-style reverse hyper bench, or any combination of those.

While I can't be 100% sure, I'd say that a big reason the reverse hyper saw the most use is that many of those lifters were bigger (and sometimes fatter) guys who weren't the most graceful of homosapiens. Many of them looked like they'd have a tough time getting into position with the boots, and I doubt that our poor table could have supported their...um...mass.

But, they all touted the benefits of decompression offered by this equipment.

I wish every gym had one of these:

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2012, 05:22:51 AM »
Wooo your an all round talent ! ;D

seriously... yoga is awesome...

newest thing i'm trying now is tai chi... again this might be laughable to most big guys but it's very relaxing and a lot harder than you would think

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »
seriously... yoga is awesome...

newest thing i'm trying now is tai chi... again this might be laughable to most big guys but it's very relaxing and a lot harder than you would think
Well i think that is a good thing Wooo..i used to like doing Aikido, Takemusu Iwama Ryu and Tendo Ryu. A lot of guys think this is soft and i must admit for self defence not really first choice. My point is i did it because i enjoyed the spiritual aspect and it chilled me out. as a young guy i was very fast with my hands but i wanted as a mature man of course to look for other ways. As you know i am a great fan of Frank Zane and he is very deep into having a calm mind and meditation. if it helps your health and Bodybuilding do it Wooo, shows you are an intelligent man.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2012, 06:15:21 AM »
yeah that's my focus as well. i work in a high stress job and i have been lifting violently (sledgehammer training) and heavy for the last little while...

i credit the addition of yoga with my current injury free status (even my elbows feel great) and with helping me continue to make gains (stress is the biggest part of CNS overload IMO)

in december i'll be moving into one of the 3 official china towns in Toronto (moving to Agincourt aka 'Asiancourt') and there are several community groups that offers free tai chi... their intended audience is mostly 60-plus but i'm told that i will be welcomed with open arms

i should point out that i look kind of funny doing tai chi... i'm a big fricken white guy with a shaved head...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 06:19:04 AM »
Do not worry Wooo do it.  ;) Will improve your well being , co ordination and more...