Author Topic: Conditioning Day  (Read 6282 times)

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
Re: Conditioning Day
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2012, 11:25:34 AM »
This, this, this and this. It's pretty much why I've stopped the treadmill altogether now. I could run 10 miles at one point without breaking too much sweat, as long as I settled into a nice comfortable pace. But ask me to do 20 star jumps, 20 push ups x 3 without taking a breather, and I'd gas in minutes, and I mean I was totally fucked, having to almost lie down.

that's the key, basically to the point of having to lie down or just passing the fuck out

but make no mistake, this form of training is VERY INTENSE and you gotta be careful no to over do it

i just started back on this "Metabolic Training" style over the past 3 weeks and after doing 1 week of "break-in training" i went all out and now i've put myself into an over-trained state (as i did it 5 days out of the last 7 days)

it seems that practicing it 2 or 3 times a week is IDEAL

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2012, 11:34:43 AM »
that's the key, basically to the point of having to lie down or just passing the fuck out

but make no mistake, this form of training is VERY INTENSE and you gotta be careful no to over do it

i just started back on this "Metabolic Training" style over the past 3 weeks and after doing 1 week of "break-in training" i went all out and now i've put myself into an over-trained state (as i did it 5 days out of the last 7 days)

it seems that practicing it 2 or 3 times a week is IDEAL

I am loving the training.  I have been bodybuilding for almost 25 years.  Its been like a re-birth of enjoyment and focus.  I am driven again to get stronger, leaner, and improve my endurance.  I would love to compete in the Reebok Games when I turn 45.  A nice goal...versus standing on a stage oiled in posing trunks.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2012, 11:48:14 AM »
You should look up outlaw crossfit...you may be surprised.  Lots of WSB influence.  They do things to train for the games just like anything else.  I can point out so many sports that use various training techniques to become better at their chosen sport/activity.  I am sure there are a shit load of things MMA guys do that most people would say "What the fuck does that have to do with punching someone in the face?"  What does a hand over hand rope pull have to do with, say, football?

Ok, first off we don't do this type of training on a daily basis, we do this once per week. What does hand over hand have to do with football? (or almost any other sport). Mostly for grip strength but also back strength. To think that grip wouldn't be important in a combat sport would be naive.

Are you assuming things are thrown together with no sense or have you spoken to people who designed programs?  My CNS has not been fried.  How is it your most intense workout doesn't fry the CNS, but a crossfit routine does?  

Not saying it doesn't fry the CNS, it most certainly does. But once again, for example, I won't have them lift loads overhead AFTER the primary training. Also, you have to take into considerations of rest time to let the CNS calm down. (See energy systems). If you're going to train that intensely with little to no rest, mechanics break down, results? Injury. This should be commonsense.

I understand your beef with the high rep olympic lift combination thing, but they aren't doing maximal loads with that stuff.  Yesterdays workout for me was :

135# Power Clean x 5
(at 5th rep of power clean, keep bar up and do the following)
135# front squat x 5

I have no problem with this. Going beyond 5 reps, mechanics will start breaking down. Here, you're doing two different movements. We also do clean/front squats usually on our ME Lower days. BTW, AMRAP? What is this, maybe I'm missing something.

8mins AMRAP

Was does you climbing a set of tires do?  Am I monkey?  No, its functional for SOMETHING.  Yes?  A muscle up uses muscles in a different way.  They aren't asking people to put together a floor routine.  If so, then I would say they are trying to make people into gymnasts.  Using the rings makes you use balance and proprioception to complete a move.  Thats it.

We have quite a few civil service that train with us. Police, fire, military, etc

As far as someone trainign 8-mos pregnant...you want to use that as an example?  How many examples of programs from any of the shitty bodybuilding magazines can I list that are garbage.  How many kids can I find youtube videos on that are doing things wrong?  With all due respect, are you a pediatrician?  Whats wrong with her doing pullups, situps, double unders, or even squats?  Seriously.  If she had any issues with her cervix, I would say that you would have a valid point.  If she was working out before her pregnancy, she should continue exercising now.  Now, if she was doing tons of olympic movements, I WOULD agree that it would be of concern>

Some of these idiots do use O-lifts while pregnant.

trust me Joe...I see where you are coming from.  You hate the cult-koolaid part of cross fit.  I hate it too.  But when you take a step back and look and see what some of what they are doing...you would have to agree that its not as bad as you think.

Why can't someone do a 50-rep squat?  How many times have we seen people with programs where they do 100-rep sets.  John Meadows (moutain dog) talks about doing rear lateral stuff with 30 - 35 reps.  You run with a sand bag over one shoulder.  To me that creates an imbalance on one side altering the normal gate of the individual performing the movement.  When will someone have to run with a sandbag over their shoulder?  What sport is that for?  Again, NOT a flame...but you can't criticize in one direction.

50 rep overhead squats even at a sub-maximal weight, mechanics break down and the risk of injury increases. Take a piece of 7ft piece of just PVC pipe and and see if you can maintain perfect form (or close) for 50 continuous reps

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2012, 11:50:28 AM »
I am loving the training.  I have been bodybuilding for almost 25 years.  Its been like a re-birth of enjoyment and focus.  I am driven again to get stronger, leaner, and improve my endurance.  I would love to compete in the Reebok Games when I turn 45.  A nice goal...versus standing on a stage oiled in posing trunks.

Don't get me wrong and I know I'm spewing a lot hate for crossfit, but if programmed properly, it's a great concept.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:36 PM »

how many days per week do you do it?

i tried 5, but it kicked my fucking ass :o

i know with runners and track athletes that they basically practice it twice a week via. intervals and anaerobic "lactate" training (intervals once a week, and anaerobic training once a week)

James28

• Getbig V
  • toilet roll of peace
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
Well I've got a late season beach holiday coming up in exactly 3 weeks from today, so I have 18 'go till you die' sessions ahead of me to strip about 5-7 lbs, depending. I know my diet isn't going to be super tight but luckily I have the discipline to train 6 days a week, 7 if I have to. I realise it's not clever training this much but every period in my life I overdone the gym, good things happened.

Here's to good things.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2012, 12:43:01 PM »
50 rep overhead squats even at a sub-maximal weight, mechanics break down and the risk of injury increases. Take a piece of 7ft piece of just PVC pipe and and see if you can maintain perfect form (or close) for 50 continuous reps

Form breaks after 10 reps at times.  You saying 10 reps with higher weights and form break is safer?    Also, things like tire flipping...are you saying that its safer for someone to flip a 250# tire 5x than it is to do an overhead squats with an empty olympic bar?  Again, Joe...I am failing to see why what you did in the videos is any where safer or different than some crossfit workouts.

Sure you train police, fire, MMA, etc...to get better at their job.  But you also train WSM guys...guys who do whacky lifts with near maximal loads.  Crossfit competitors (not the average dip shit who trains a week and says he is a cross fit competitor) train for their specific competitions.  The thing is, they train the same things that they will be competing in.  Its just like an olympic lifter, powerlifter, golfer, etc.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2012, 12:47:34 PM »
how many days per week do you do it?

i tried 5, but it kicked my fucking ass :o

i know with runners and track athletes that they basically practice it twice a week via. intervals and anaerobic "lactate" training (intervals once a week, and anaerobic training once a week)

5 days w/ another of 'active rest' (which often turns into a little more than active rest). 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2012, 01:26:41 PM »
Form breaks after 10 reps at times.  You saying 10 reps with higher weights and form break is safer?    Also, things like tire flipping...are you saying that its safer for someone to flip a 250# tire 5x than it is to do an overhead squats with an empty olympic bar?  Again, Joe...I am failing to see why what you did in the videos is any where safer or different than some
Sure you train police, fire, MMA, etc...to get better at their job.  But you also train WSM guys...guys who do whacky lifts with near maximal loads.  Crossfit competitors (not the average dip shit who trains a week and says he is a cross fit competitor) train for their specific competitions.  The thing is, they train the same things that they will be competing in.  Its just like an olympic lifter, powerlifter, golfer, etc.

The difference is a 2or3:1 recovery.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2012, 01:57:42 PM »
The difference is a 2or3:1 recovery.

Dont follow your answer...sorry

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2012, 03:02:06 PM »
Dont follow your answer...sorry

Work to recovery.

Jadeveon Clowney

• Getbig V
  • The life is like a case of chocolate bonbon.
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »
But ask me to do 20 star jumps, 20 push ups x 3 without taking a breather, and I'd gas in minutes, and I mean I was totally fucked, having to almost lie down.

you mean you could "run" 10 miles at a 12 minute pace, which is basically a brisk walk.

Big N

• Getbig V
  • Veteran Fella
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2012, 04:36:44 PM »
why dont these children go frame some houses, do something with there youth than u sending them through these silly muscle mazes

Lol
#

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2012, 05:42:03 PM »
Work to recovery.

Joe, either I am real stupid (total plausible) but could you please refer to the question that your answer is referring to?  I asked a couple of questions in the long post and you didn't really touch on much.  Not trying to lock horns or get shitty. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2012, 07:02:52 PM »
Joe, either I am real stupid (total plausible) but could you please refer to the question that your answer is referring to?  I asked a couple of questions in the long post and you didn't really touch on much.  Not trying to lock horns or get shitty. 

No problem. Which question? I probably missed it.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2012, 07:36:34 PM »
No problem. Which question? I probably missed it.

Um, my posts havent been deleted...you should be able to re-read them