Author Topic: Obama starts 2nd term w 1.6 Trillion Tax Hike proposal.  (Read 13086 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Obama starts 2nd term w 1.6 Trillion Tax Hike proposal.
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2012, 10:52:01 AM »
Yes, I totally remember that. The King of Kings tried so desperately to save the nation and rescue us all from certain doom. He tried to save us by creating the non-partisan Simpson-Bowles commission and then completely dismissing it.

and what could he have done with zero support from Repubs

they rejected it first

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
Have YOU truly forgotten that Boehner tried to "compromise" with Obama (and got grilled for it by members of his own party), only to have Obama back out at the last minute?

How many times has he tried to reach out to the president, only for him to be MIA?

Raising taxes isn't going to put so much as a dent in the deficit. All it will do is have rich people move their money, fire people to cover the cost, and/or raise prices on goods and services.

remind me again of what he offered

I seem to recall him gloating that he go 97% of what they wanted or something to that effect

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2012, 11:03:17 AM »
you always find a way to give credit where it is not due. You have no credibility here, you were posting bullshit before the election that was proven dead wrong and then you continue with the same now.

So, S&P didn't downgrade our credit, during Obama's watch for the reasons stated IN ITS OWN REPORT. 

Unemployment isn't really higher than it was when Obama took office.

48 million people really aren't on food stamps.

The debt isn't really 16 trillion dollars.

Obama didn't really state unemployment would stay under 8%, if his stimulus passed.

Yep, NONE of that actually happened, because Obama got re-elected.  ::)

Of course, you've yet to answer how a second term of Obama is going to fix unemployment and jobs when his first term didn't get it done (despite the lion's share of his policies being passed).

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:25 AM »
250k per year is super wealthy. That's about 20,500 per month. Your earning more per month than a minimum wage worker gets for the year working 40 hours a week. You try 20 thousnd per month to spend on whatever you want. You can have an absolutely massive house, several brand new luxury vehicles, ray at every meal evey day at an expensive restaurant, to on nice vacations etc. The people who make 250k per year are only 3% of the population of I remember correctly.  And were ptalking about a VERY modest increase to their taxes.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2012, 11:17:49 AM »
Bottom line is that it takes more $$$$ out of an already DOA economy that is not going anywhere.  

What is obama going to do with the $$$$?  

Pay of debt?

Or interests?

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
PLEASE!!! Where's all this "compromise" when the voters reject the Democrats' ideas? The politics part is never over in Washington, regardless of who wins or loses.

Have you already forgotten who won the election?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »
So, S&P didn't downgrade our credit, during Obama's watch for the reasons stated IN ITS OWN REPORT.  

Unemployment isn't really higher than it was when Obama took office.

48 million people really aren't on food stamps.

The debt isn't really 16 trillion dollars.

Obama didn't really state unemployment would stay under 8%, if his stimulus passed.

Yep, NONE of that actually happened, because Obama got re-elected.  ::)

Of course, you've yet to answer how a second term of Obama is going to fix unemployment and jobs when his first term didn't get it done (despite the lion's share of his policies being passed).

correct and they said it was due to brinksmanship over the debt ceiling (remember when tea party dingbats did that ?)

We lowered our long-term rating on the U.S. because we believe that the
prolonged controversy over raising the statutory debt ceiling and the related
fiscal policy debate indicate that further near-term progress containing the
growth in public spending, especially on entitlements, or on reaching an
agreement on raising revenues is less likely than we previously assumed and
will remain a contentious and fitful process.

http://www.standardandpoors.com/ratings/articles/en/us/?assetID=1245316529563

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=446403.msg6404722#msg6404722

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:05 AM »
Pay of debt?

Or interests?

He is promising to spend more $$$$ remember?  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

he hasn't forgotten he is just in full denial mode and wants to pretend it never happened and doesn't actually mean anything

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: November 14, 2012, 11:22:21 AM »

GOP retained the house of reps

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #85 on: November 14, 2012, 11:25:39 AM »
Bringing up the "debt rating" "downgrade" is just plain silly in light of the fact that it was the rent eating agencies who are largely to blame for the financial collapse as they were giving mortgage backed securities bases entirely on sub prime loans AAA ratings. Lmao . "debt downgrade". Hahaha.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2012, 11:27:19 AM »
Debt rating agencies

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
GOP retained the house of reps

Of course... district lines certainly do favor that scenario as there are far more individual districts in the US.

Take North Carolina for instance... They even redrew those lines specifically for this reason.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
250k per year is super wealthy. That's about 20,500 per month. Your earning more per month than a minimum wage worker gets for the year working 40 hours a week. You try 20 thousnd per month to spend on whatever you want. You can have an absolutely massive house, several brand new luxury vehicles, ray at every meal evey day at an expensive restaurant, to on nice vacations etc. The people who make 250k per year are only 3% of the population of I remember correctly.  And were ptalking about a VERY modest increase to their taxes.

You must not live in California or New York.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »
correct and they said it was due to brinksmanship over the debt ceiling (remember when tea party dingbats did that ?)

http://www.standardandpoors.com/ratings/articles/en/us/?assetID=1245316529563

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=446403.msg6404722#msg6404722

I just posted the S&P's report with that very same quote. Did you not see that?

Did you not also see my statement, before I quoted that report?

The downgrade happened ON OBAMA'S watch, not Bush's watch, and was the result of the Dems not cutting spending and the GOP not raising taxes.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »

Hardly!! But thanks for making my point. When Dems win the elections, the GOP is expected to just roll over and cave.

When they lose elections, however, not a peep about "compromise" comes from their end.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2012, 11:47:15 AM »
250k per year is super wealthy. That's about 20,500 per month. Your earning more per month than a minimum wage worker gets for the year working 40 hours a week. You try 20 thousnd per month to spend on whatever you want. You can have an absolutely massive house, several brand new luxury vehicles, ray at every meal evey day at an expensive restaurant, to on nice vacations etc. The people who make 250k per year are only 3% of the population of I remember correctly.  And were ptalking about a VERY modest increase to their taxes.

You're wrong here, unless your context is no kids and a moderate location.

You're also ignoring taxes in your spending money calculation.
Y

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »
You are so incredibly wrong on this it's not even funny.

Aside from the fact that your "20k to spend each month" ignores taxes, you must have no clue what mortgage, sports, clothes, insurance, etc all cost for a family.

And it's not to say that it's not a good amount of money, because it is.  But it's not super wealthy at all.

It depends where you live. If you make that in Florida (particularly in the Tampa Bay area or in Jacksonville), you're living high on the hog.

I made a third of that in the mid-2000s and my family and I lived quite well. That's one income, with my wife staying at home with the kids.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2012, 11:51:18 AM »

In 2006, there were approximately 116,011,000 households in the United States. 1.93% of all households had annual incomes exceeding $250,000

So, no... they are NOT the super wealthy... but they are the top 2% of the US.

It's not the extreme wealthy, but they aren't starving... but, let's be honest with what we are talking about.

The plan is to only take an extra 4 cents off of every dollar OVER 250K...So from 1-250K, no change... on the next dollar OVER 250K, you pay an extra 4 cents... You really are not hurting.

I'm not saying it's the right number... Maybe make it 500K or something... COMPROMISE... but understand... You are NOT starving if you make that kind of money.

PERIOD.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2012, 11:52:22 AM »
It depends where you live. If you make that in Florida (particularly in the Tampa Bay area or in Jacksonville), you're living high on the hog.

Yeah, that's why I changed my post to talk about the context of location, kids, etc..
Y

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2012, 11:52:29 AM »

Aside from the fact that your "20k to spend each month" ignores taxes, you must have no clue what mortgage, sports, clothes, insurance, etc all cost for a family.

And it's not to say that it's not a good amount of money, because it is.  But it's not super wealthy at all.

Correct.  And it doesn't take into account small business owners who may generate $250k, but after overhead make far less than that amount.  

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
In 2006, there were approximately 116,011,000 households in the United States. 1.93% of all households had annual incomes exceeding $250,000

So, no... they are NOT the super wealthy... but they are the top 2% of the US.

It's not the extreme wealthy, but they aren't starving... but, let's be honest with what we are talking about.

The plan is to only take an extra 4 cents off of every dollar OVER 250K...So from 1-250K, no change... on the next dollar OVER 250K, you pay an extra 4 cents... You really are not hurting.

I'm not saying it's the right number... Maybe make it 500K or something... COMPROMISE... but understand... You are NOT starving if you make that kind of money.

PERIOD.

I don't disagree with this Tu.   But the whole mansion, multiple luxury cars, Robin Leach interpretation is ludicrous.   Like I said, context matters - family size, locale, etc..
Y

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2012, 11:54:35 AM »
I don't disagree with this Tu.   But the whole mansion, multiple luxury cars, Robin Leach interpretation is ludicrous.

Yes... It is an extremely false view of what 250K buys in the world... absolutely true.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2012, 11:56:18 AM »
Yes... It is an extremely false view of what 250K buys in the world... absolutely true.
Are you saying that 250k a year doesn't buy a family a private Learjet? Who knew?   ??? ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »
Are you saying that 250k a year doesn't buy a family a private Learjet? Who knew?   ??? ;D

250k in NYC and surrounding areas is not rich at all.  Not even close. 

Obama is a thief and common pick pocket.  Its not like he wants the $$$ to pay down the debt.   He wants to keep the same ludicrous level of spending and even more!