Author Topic: There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit  (Read 38751 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: There is only one God, in three persons: Father, Son(Jesus) and Holy Spirit
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:07 PM »
And he was hanging around fundamentalist evangelists. The hardcore ones. Studying with them and seeing outright lies being passed off as ok. I posted a video where he specifically talks about this history of his and dealing with them and studying with them. He was outraged to find out in their seminaries outright manipulations being passed as A-OKAY just because.

Kind of just like that other guy I posted in the people who have become Muslim thread who studied the original scriptures and in his words as he said saw how they were literally manipulated, when they were manipulated and for what reason they were even manipulated.

Fascinating indeed.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:00 PM »
This guy to went to seminaries, studied the NT parchments in their original form, etc... etc... and comes to the exact same conclusions because he wanted to be closer to God, yet the more he learned about the lies of the church the further he fell away from it... yet he still had strong conviction and faith in God, believed in Jesus, etc... but no longer the trinity or all the other lies:

It's in many parts, but worth watching. Basically the only reason he even learned about Islam is that him and his wife had a hobby of studying arab horses and as such travelled to arab countries and had some arab friends. Funny how many ways God has to guide someone through life.

Kind of how living amongst arabs as a christian also left me a lasting impression even though at the time my family and I thought little of it and ironically we became Muslim in the west after trying to be better christians.

TrueBB93

• Getbig III
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2013, 02:38:55 PM »
^^^^^ prime example! i've seen this vid before.

MOS and Loco take a look. Dont ignore the vids. If you really think your faith is strong then take a look

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:30 PM »
No I don't own a copy of "Jesus Misquoted" and have not read it.  

I have watched him debate and wasn't particularly impressed or disappointed....was more left with a feeling of "meh".

So you feel 'meh' when a whole story is just put in what you claim is God's inspired word. A story that misrepresents Jesus as its a lie and not what Jesus said/did/etc...

I would feel an outright outrage and that's exactly what I felt as a Christian trying to be a better Christian and learning about the many lies of the chuch and christianity. It did not weaken my faith, it strengthened it, but it kept me looking for God's truth which ultimately I found in islam.

It's the same with the trinity. I kept reading the bible, I kept reading the history and I did not accept the 'blind faith' that my priests/teachers/etc... encouraged. "Have faith", "it's a mystery". Wait no... I have faith.... but I also have a brain.. and its not a 'mystery' when its a fabrication, a concotion, a lie, a forgery that can be traced historically and not out of the mouth of Jesus (pbuh) but out of the mouth of so called convert pagan romans, the church, and others in their ranks.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2013, 02:50:27 PM »
^^^^^ prime example! i've seen this vid before.

MOS and Loco take a look. Dont ignore the vids. If you really think your faith is strong then take a look

I've also seen this video before, but I'm listening to it again now while I type this.

TrueBB93

• Getbig III
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »
I've also seen this video before, but I'm listening to it again now while I type this.

In that case, Thanks for taking the time to watch.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #231 on: January 04, 2013, 06:49:03 AM »
he WAS a christian unil he saw the amount of deception, lies, contradictions and mistakes. how can a sane person still even consider reading the Bible after it is well know to have certain verses played with?

TrueBB93,

I thought you were done with this debate and decided to continue to be Muslim and let Christians be Christians.  

Anyway, it is highly doubtful that Bart Ehrman became an agnostic just because of his study of the Bible, no matter what he or what you might say.  There are many other reasons why a person might become agnostic or atheist.  

By your logic, most if not all Jewish and Christian Bible scholars would have become agnostic by now.  And I know of many Muslims, agnostics and atheists who became Christians by studying the Bible.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: January 04, 2013, 07:30:57 AM »
he WAS a christian unil he saw the amount of deception, lies, contradictions and mistakes. how can a sane person still even consider reading the Bible after it is well know to have certain verses played with?

Did a bit of reading last night after we disussed Bart Ehrman and his book "Misquoting Jesus" that references all of the primary "errors" in the bible.  That lead me to pull a book of my shelf entitled "The Case for the Real Jesus" in which Daniel Wallace (considered to be the only other textual critic matching Bart Ehrman's credentials) who wrote "Reinventing Jesus" (a refutation of Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus").  Currently Ehrman and Wallace are the fields top textual critics and experts in NT manuscripts.  Ehrman was a Christian that became an agnostic because of his study, but Wallace is a Christian who's similar study increased his faith.  Within the interview in "The Case for the Real Jesus" Wallace indicates that Ehrman's "Misquoting Jesus" was actually dedicated to his mentor Bruce Metzger (arguably this centuries greatest textual critic....who passed several years ago).   This then reminded me of Bruce Metzger's interview from years earlier in "The Case for Christ" (that I also pulled off my shelf and reread).   Like Wallace's interview, Metzger concludes with an indication that his faith has only been strengthened by his research in textual variances and manuscript comparisons.  Wallace indicated that although Ehrman brings to light a number of biblical issues (that were old news in the field, but foreign to common readers) that none of them sacrifce one bit of the Christian theology whatsover (as I stated yesterday).  Ironically enough, Metzger's interview from years earlier indicates exactly the same thing.  After re-reading all the interviews I ordered Wallace's book and will be reading that in the coming weeks.  I hope to follow it up with Ehrman's book shortly thereafter.

That said, among textual critics, Ehrman's position does not represent the majority in the field as indicated by Wallace and Ehrman's mentor Metzger.  

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #233 on: January 29, 2013, 09:19:17 AM »

Genesis 18:1
The Lord appeared to Abraham near the great trees of Mamre while he was sitting at the entrance to his tent in the heat of the day.

Genesis 18:22
The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.

Genesis 19:24
Then the LORD rained down burning sulfur on Sodom and Gomorrah—from the LORD out of the heavens.

Honestly I'm not sure why you pasted these excerpts, but if it was to suggest that "Lord" = "God" then refer 1 Peter 3:6 where Sarah calls Abraham Lord.  Therefore, if you believe Lord = God then Abraham too is God.  The word Lord is simply a title of authority, ever hear of "Lord Vader"? :)

See also 1 Cornithians 8:6 "yet for us there is only one God, the father, and one Lord Jesus Christ."  This verse clearly differentiates the words God and Lord from each other.

"LORD" in Genesis 18 and 19 refers to God:

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

Adonai appeared to Avraham by the oaks of Mamre as he sat at the entrance to the tent during the heat of the day.

The men turned away from there and went toward S’dom, but Avraham remained standing before Adonai.

Then Adonai caused sulfur and fire to rain down upon S’dom and ‘Amora from Adonai out of the sky.

Clearly we have God person number one raining fire and brimstone from a second God person who is in heaven, the first one being on earth.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
  • Islam, Nasser and Corvettes.
« Reply #234 on: January 29, 2013, 10:06:56 AM »
Honestly I'm not sure why you pasted these excerpts, but if it was to suggest that "Lord" = "God" then refer 1 Peter 3:6 where Sarah calls Abraham Lord.  Therefore, if you believe Lord = God then Abraham too is God.  The word Lord is simply a title of authority, ever hear of "Lord Vader"? :)

See also 1 Cornithians 8:6 "yet for us there is only one God, the father, and one Lord Jesus Christ."  This verse clearly differentiates the words God and Lord from each other.

"LORD" in Genesis 18 and 19 refers to God:

Adonai appeared to Avraham by the oaks of Mamre as he sat at the entrance to the tent during the heat of the day.

The men turned away from there and went toward S’dom, but Avraham remained standing before Adonai.

Then Adonai caused sulfur and fire to rain down upon S’dom and ‘Amora from Adonai out of the sky.

Clearly we have God person number one raining fire and brimstone from a second God person who is in heaven, the first one being on earth.

lol, there is nothing at all "clear" about a "God person and a second God person."  This is something which only makes sense to you because you want to believe it.  It is also both non-scriptural and unreasonable.  

And typing "Adonai" instead of "Lord" does not at all affect my earlier argument that Peter is called Lord, therefore Lord does not mean God.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: January 29, 2013, 10:37:40 AM »
lol, there is nothing at all "clear" about a "God person and a second God person."  This is something which only makes sense to you because you want to believe it.  It is also both non-scriptural and unreasonable.  

And typing "Adonai" instead of "Lord" does not at all affect my earlier argument that Peter is called Lord, therefore Lord does not mean God.

Sarah also referred to her husband Abraham as lord....a common practice among the Jews.  Within three verses we see Abraham referred to as lord of his wife and Abraham referring to the Lord God.

Genesis 18
King James Version (KJV)

11 Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women.

12 Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also?

13 And the Lord said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old?

14 Is any thing too hard for the Lord? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.

15 Then Sarah denied, saying, I laughed not; for she was afraid. And he said, Nay; but thou didst laugh.

16 And the men rose up from thence, and looked toward Sodom: and Abraham went with them to bring them on the way.

17 And the Lord said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;

18 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19 For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.

20 And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous;

21 I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know.

22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord.

23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?

25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

26 And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.

30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.

32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

33 And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.

Here Abraham referred to the Lord his God:

Genesis 24:6-8
King James Version (KJV)

6 And Abraham said unto him, Beware thou that thou bring not my son thither again.

7 The Lord God of heaven, which took me from my father's house, and from the land of my kindred, and which spake unto me, and that sware unto me, saying, Unto thy seed will I give this land; he shall send his angel before thee, and thou shalt take a wife unto my son from thence.

8 And if the woman will not be willing to follow thee, then thou shalt be clear from this my oath: only bring not my son thither again.

Just homonyms...two words spelled the same, but meaning something different.    

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
lol, there is nothing at all "clear" about a "God person and a second God person."  This is something which only makes sense to you because you want to believe it.  It is also both non-scriptural and unreasonable.  

I did not just type "Adonai" instead of "LORD."  That's how the Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) translated it from Hebrew.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  When God's Hebrew names "YHWH" or "Adonai" are used in the Old Testament, English translations usually use "LORD" instead.  These English translations explain this in their introduction.  I have known this since I was a child.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:07 PM »
I did not just type "Adonai" instead of "LORD."  That's how the Complete Jewish Bible (CJB) translated it from Hebrew.  Look it up if you don't believe me.  When God's Hebrew names "YHWH" or "Adonai" are used in the Old Testament, English translations usually use "LORD" instead.  These English translations explain this in their introduction.  I have known this since I was a child.

I didn't doubt that Adonai is the Hebrew word that is translated as Lord, so there isn't anything to "look up" lol.  My whole point, which I think you've forgotten, is that Jesus being called "Lord" does not serve as evidence that he is in fact God.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: January 29, 2013, 12:58:02 PM »
Sarah also referred to her husband Abraham as lord....a common practice among the Jews.  Within three verses we see Abraham referred to as lord of his wife and Abraham referring to the Lord God.

Thank you.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: January 29, 2013, 01:38:09 PM »
I didn't doubt that Adonai is the Hebrew word that is translated as Lord, so there isn't anything to "look up" lol.  My whole point, which I think you've forgotten, is that Jesus being called "Lord" does not serve as evidence that he is in fact God.

Well, I think we've clearly established that there isn't a verse of scripture you or ahmed or true would accept that validates that Jesus Christ is God.  

When Thomas sees the resurrected Christ and exclaims, "My Lord and my God!"
When Christ said to Phillip, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father."
When Christ said, "I and the Father are one."
When Christ said, "Before Abraham was, I AM."
Or John's opening discourse in his gospel about the Word becoming flesh in Jesus Christ....Chapter 1 verses 1-18 is an absolute revelation.
Or the Sanhedrin trying Jesus for blasphemy for claiming to be God.

I've heard all your objections before on these verses so no need to rehash them here.

These verses alone are sufficient, but they aren't....nothing is sufficient.  At this point, the burden no longer rests on me, loco, onetimehard, butterbean, etc....it's on you.  It's your life and you're free to live it however.  I would love for you to become a believer in Christ, but that simply isn't up to me; although, I will always be willing to discuss it with you.  I wish you could understand the power of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.  It's so much more than ahmed's casual "emotional rhetoric" handwaving coupled with his mandatory, dismissive, mocking laughter.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: January 29, 2013, 01:47:46 PM »
Well, I think we've clearly established that there isn't a verse of scripture you or ahmed or true would accept that validates that Jesus Christ is God.  

Totally correct, as I've always stated there is no clear scripture teaching that Jesus is God.  There is however lots of scripture which suggests he is man.

When Thomas sees the resurrected Christ and exclaims, "My Lord and my God!"
When Christ said to Phillip, "Whoever has seen me has seen the Father."
When Christ said, "I and the Father are one."
When Christ said, "Before Abraham was, I AM."
Or John's opening discourse in his gospel about the Word becoming flesh in Jesus Christ....Chapter 1 verses 1-18 is an absolute revelation.
Or the Sanhedrin trying Jesus for blasphemy for claiming to be God.

I've heard all your objections before on these verses so no need to rehash them here.

Like I posted before to loco, the strongest evidence of Jesus' divinity is Thomas called him "My God!" and we have no documentation of Jesus denying it in response.  In the thousands of verses and quotes from Jesus in the Bible this is the strongest evidence?  That's very weak IMO. 

These verses alone are sufficient, but they aren't....nothing is sufficient.  

Very wrong for you to say "nothing is sufficient" because surely a quote where Jesus called himself God (if one existed which we've established does not) would be sufficient.  So yes, the verses which exist are not sufficient.  However, it's incorrect to say that nothing would be sufficient.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #241 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »
The fact that trinitarian christians struggle to provide evidenes and we have to debate and debate and debate with elusive weak verses that can be intereprted eve so many ways shows that you have no evidence.

If it was true in effect, perhaps the bible would keep talking and talking and talking AND TALKING about the TRINITY and over and over and over again emphasizing how Jesus is literally God, and Jesus talks about being God, and so on and so on.

Instead we have a Jesus who keeps talking ABOUT God, and differentiating himself from God. Not knowing what God knows. Doing things on God's behalf, serving God, praying to God, the list goes on.

Being called prophet far more than 'god', being called MAN far more than 'god'. If we are to even accept your verses as even agreeable.

"MY GOD! MOS!" You shocked me... wait are you going to interpret that as God?

You remember when I told you about the dream about Jesus I had before becoming Muslim? I said Jesus told me 'there is only one God', as I was thinking about the trinity and it's non-sense. YOU interpret that as "oh that naturally means Jesus is God"

So if I tell you "THere is only one God", that means I am teling you I am God.

You see how silly all that is?

You are fighting a losing battle with straws. Trinity is a lie as we know it historically to be forged. End of thread.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:39 PM »
Totally correct, as I've always stated there is no clear scripture teaching that Jesus is God.  There is however lots of scripture which suggests he is man.

Like I posted before to loco, the strongest evidence of Jesus' divinity is Thomas called him "My God!" and we have no documentation of Jesus denying it in response.  In the thousands of verses and quotes from Jesus in the Bible this is the strongest evidence?  That's very weak IMO. 

Very wrong for you to say "nothing is sufficient" because surely a quote where Jesus called himself God (if one existed which we've established does not) would be sufficient.  So yes, the verses which exist are not sufficient.  However, it's incorrect to say that nothing would be sufficient.

yep

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
The fact that trinitarian christians struggle to provide evidenes and we have to debate and debate and debate with elusive weak verses that can be intereprted eve so many ways shows that you have no evidence.

If it was true in effect, perhaps the bible would keep talking and talking and talking AND TALKING about the TRINITY and over and over and over again emphasizing how Jesus is literally God, and Jesus talks about being God, and so on and so on.

Instead we have a Jesus who keeps talking ABOUT God, and differentiating himself from God. Not knowing what God knows. Doing things on God's behalf, serving God, praying to God, the list goes on.

Being called prophet far more than 'god', being called MAN far more than 'god'. If we are to even accept your verses as even agreeable.

"MY GOD! MOS!" You shocked me... wait are you going to interpret that as God?

You remember when I told you about the dream about Jesus I had before becoming Muslim? I said Jesus told me 'there is only one God', as I was thinking about the trinity and it's non-sense. YOU interpret that as "oh that naturally means Jesus is God"

So if I tell you "THere is only one God", that means I am teling you I am God.

You see how silly all that is?

You are fighting a losing battle with straws. Trinity is a lie as we know it historically to be forged. End of thread.
yep

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2013, 06:47:28 AM »
I didn't doubt that Adonai is the Hebrew word that is translated as Lord, so there isn't anything to "look up" lol.  My whole point, which I think you've forgotten, is that Jesus being called "Lord" does not serve as evidence that he is in fact God.

Who said anything here about Jesus being called "Lord"?  We are discussing Genesis 19:24.

bigbobs

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2013, 08:26:13 AM »
Who said anything here about Jesus being called "Lord"?  We are discussing Genesis 19:24.

Because you don't link your quotes to arguments as usual I assumed your use of Genesis 19:24 was somehow a continuation of our discussion where I showed that Jesus being called "Lord" is not indicative of being "God."

Anyhow since you've clarified that you are simply discussing Genesis 19:24 in isolation, I fail to see how you can gather from that verse that there are two God persons.  It's just another example of forcing an interpretation of a verse to match what you want to believe.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
Because you don't link your quotes to arguments as usual I assumed your use of Genesis 19:24 was somehow a continuation of our discussion where I showed that Jesus being called "Lord" is not indicative of being "God."

Anyhow since you've clarified that you are simply discussing Genesis 19:24 in isolation, I fail to see how you can gather from that verse that there are two God persons.  It's just another example of forcing an interpretation of a verse to match what you want to believe.

I did link my quote to your argument.  What are you talking about?

Okay bigbobs, you are familiar with the Biblical account in Genesis 18 and 19 about God visiting Abraham, eating with Abraham, walking with Abraham shortly before God destroyed Sodom an Gomorrah, right?  Are you familiar with this?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2013, 01:49:39 PM »
So who goes to Heaven/Paradise?  We have been programmed that there is only one right religion.  Everyone else will be left behind.  Why can't you religious people explain that?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
So who goes to Heaven/Paradise?  We have been programmed that there is only one right religion.  Everyone else will be left behind.  Why can't you religious people explain that?

We're all uneducated, weak-willed, brainwashed morons that are scared of dying so we invent fantasies and flying spaghetti monsters to make us feel better about our inevitable cosmic fate.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2013, 02:33:52 PM »
We're all uneducated, weak-willed, brainwashed morons that are scared of dying.
I sense sarcasm  :D  Do you believe Christianity is the only way to salvation?