Author Topic: Is Ric Flair worth it?  (Read 22959 times)

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
Is Ric Flair worth it?
« on: December 07, 2012, 12:38:42 AM »
I read he owes a lot of cash in back taxes and is selling memorabilia.  Then I saw this..LOL  I will always be a Ric Flair fan but this is outrageous.

http://www.ricflair.com/online-store?page=shop.browse&category_id=18

You could probably catch him at a bar and buy him a beer and get way more conversation.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Is Ric Flair worth it?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 04:27:11 AM »
Isn't Flair going through divorce #4?

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:11:58 AM »
yes flair is on divorce #4. he cheated on her and embarrased her... um,...... she knew what he was when she meet him. I don't blame ric one bit.
sept 10th APF

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 09:02:52 AM »
I read he owes a lot of cash in back taxes and is selling memorabilia.  Then I saw this..LOL  I will always be a Ric Flair fan but this is outrageous.

http://www.ricflair.com/online-store?page=shop.browse&category_id=18

You could probably catch him at a bar and buy him a beer and get way more conversation.
five minutes of wooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooo for how much.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2012, 09:05:08 AM »
next he'll be selling tickets for rides on space mountain. just two years ago he was selling autographs and photo ops in philly for 50 bucks.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »
When Flair first joined the Federation it was one of the best times of my life. Then when he teamed with Perfect to me it couldn't have gotten any better! But then it was all down hill from there. I think the guy did a great job but he's not one of the all time greats. The guy never carried the Federation. I continually hear about his days in the other wrestling organizations and how great he was. So if he was that great, was he past his prime once he joined the Federation?

Just because you never followed anything beyond it, the world of pro-wrestling was much bigger than the WWF, and there will always be many fans to whom Flair is and will always be an all-time great. He never carried the Fed because he wasn't there long enough.

Jim Herd was WCW president at the time. He didn't like Flair, who was the WCW "franchise" at the time; he was their booker and main star. Herd was the former CEO of Pizza Hut - no wrestling background. Anyway, Herd fired Flair as booker and replaced him with Ole Anderson.
Business tanked.

Shortly after that, Flair stopped appearing at WCW shows because his contract was up and a new one had not been agreed on. In those days, it was still customary for the champion to place a $25,000 deposit on the title while they held it for "insurance" purposes. Flair's contract expired while he was champ and he never received his deposit. Technically, he was still champion, that belt was his, and that's how it ended up on Vince's TV until the lawyers got involved and the old man had to stop showing it; something about a trademark infringement I think.

If Flair was past his prime at the time, Vince would not have scooped him up so fast. Ric left the Fed once the situation in WCW was ironed out.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 07:13:54 PM »
he may have been past his prime but he and Savage had one HELL of a great match at WM8
Flower Boy Ran Away

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 09:57:11 AM »
When Flair first joined the Federation it was one of the best times of my life. Then when he teamed with Perfect to me it couldn't have gotten any better! But then it was all down hill from there. I think the guy did a great job but he's not one of the all time greats. The guy never carried the Federation. I continually hear about his days in the other wrestling organizations and how great he was. So if he was that great, was he past his prime once he joined the Federation?

You are correct there. He is THE all time great.

If you polled 500 professional wrestlers from down the years, he would be considered the best by a wide majority.  When you have the respect from your peers as being the best, how can one argue that?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »

you've sniffed way too many celebrities' panties
K

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
you've sniffed way too many celebrities' panties

Seriously, Timmy has cooked for some rather famous people. Being a semi-buffed preparer of godly dishes, I suspect he's tagged some venereal diseased celeb clam in parts of the Hamptons.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 03:08:37 PM »
Anyone who attempts to make an argument that Flair isn't "one of the all-time greats" is certifiable.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 04:41:14 AM »
Never saw the attraction for Flair. I think he had great matches because of the people he had in the ring with him, he always says his best matches were with Steamboat..Boom!

I think he is the biggest mark for himself and has never once come out of character. Toss up between bigger mark..Flair or Piper...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 12:18:34 PM »
in related news flair says he'll never wrestle again because of what happened to jerry lawler.
F

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 11:26:27 AM »
It seems like I read somewhere that he sold his NWA belt andTriple Hbought it back for him.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 04:41:53 AM »
I think he is the biggest mark for himself and has never once come out of character. Toss up between bigger mark..Flair or Piper...

Ha-ha!! Before my eyes reached the end of your post, I thought of Piper. Add Bret Hart to the list, too.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2012, 04:43:09 AM »
There was definitely an attraction for him but it died out fast. Flair always makes reference to past Superstars about how great they were and how current Superstars couldn't "lace their boots" or "carry their jock strap". John Cena just carried the Federation for ten years strong. Earned hundreds of millions of dollars. Ask my nephews, 5th and 6th graders who Ric Flair is. Flairs not even close to the same league as Bret, 3:16, the Rock, John Cena, VKM, or Hulkamania. Here's just a comparison. Who's was a better all around entertainer? Flair or Edge? Soooooooo many guys did so much more for the show then Flair ever did. Timmy doesn't care about the locker room.  

It's all relative. Cena, Rock, etc. are the best of what there is right now, which is not as high a caliber as the best of Flair's generation (the one during Ric's peak). Being the top guy today is like being the valedictorian of summer school. Being the biggest and shiniest turd is nothing to brag about; you're still a piece of crap.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2012, 02:57:28 PM »
Never saw the attraction for Flair. I think he had great matches because of the people he had in the ring with him, he always says his best matches were with Steamboat..Boom!

Not sure if this is a serious post, but if so the reason Flair "never came out of character" is because he wasn't "playing" one.  He was exactly the same guy out of the ring as in it, good or bad.

And REALLY don't get the lack of respect for Flair in this thread.  Sad state of what has become of wrestling fan's "knowledge" these days.   :-\

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »
Not sure if this is a serious post, but if so the reason Flair "never came out of character" is because he wasn't "playing" one.  He was exactly the same guy out of the ring as in it, good or bad.

And REALLY don't get the lack of respect for Flair in this thread.  Sad state of what has become of wrestling fan's "knowledge" these days.   :-\

S,

You ever run into Nature Boy around town?
It sounds like outside the ring/locker room, there are people who LOVE him, while others want to kick the shit out of him.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »

S,

You ever run into Nature Boy around town?
It sounds like outside the ring/locker room, there are people who LOVE him, while others want to kick the shit out of him.

I've ran into Flair a few times out a bars, etc...  but OLE BIG could probably share a few stories about him, if he wants to, that are better than mine.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 01:24:33 PM »
And REALLY don't get the lack of respect for Flair in this thread.  Sad state of what has become of wrestling fan's "knowledge" these days.   :-\

I suspect it boils down to a matter of taste/preference, or ignorance.

preference: everyone is entitled to an opinion.
      ignorance: not everyone witnessed the Nature Boy during his Mid-Atlantic peak.

Hell, Hogan is considered one of the biggest things in wrestling, yet you mercilessly rag on him here.
And, I'm sure there are many who would criticize my own relentless criticism of Dusty Rhodes.

It's all good in the end.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 04:46:03 PM »

I suspect it bols down to a matter of taste/preference, or ignorance.

preference: everyone is entitled to an opinion.
      ignorance: not everyone witnessed the Nature Boy during his Mid-Atlantic peak.

Hell, Hogan is considered one of the biggest things in wrestling, yet you mercilessly rag on him here.
And, I'm sure there are many who would criticize my own relentless criticism of Dusty Rhodes.

It's all good in the end.

Flair has crapped turds that could cut better promos and out wrestle Hogan and Dusty...  ;D

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 05:03:06 PM »
Flair has crapped turds that could cut better promos and out wrestle Hogan and Dusty...  ;D

Couldn't agree more!

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2012, 12:02:38 PM »

I would love to add to this,  but can't.  And I think that is partially what made him great.  All he did was go on camera and be himself.  I guarantee you if you ran into him in Charlotte right now, he would be custom fit from head to toe.  I have seen him in the gym and he dresses better there than most do going all out.  Big difference in being a mark for yourself and just being yourself.

OLE BIG

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »
I've ran into Flair a few times out a bars, etc...  but OLE BIG could probably share a few stories about him, if he wants to, that are better than mine.

I have a few.  I will back here later and tell them.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
I have a few.  I will back here later and tell them.

I look forward to these.
You have some of the best stories on the board. My favorite is the one with Hennig and your golf resort.

O.B.: What do you do when you miss the gum?

C.H.: I don't miss.

GOLD!!!
 :D :D :D