Author Topic: Lakers are done.  (Read 23265 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Lakers are done.
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2013, 11:37:36 AM »
this should be the main thread.

BB i have to say you were right. the lakers were to good on the roster not to make the playoffs. You have knowledge sir!

yes if they keep up the pace 6th seed for sure, the lakers defensively are terrible thats what will cost them against OKC or Spurs in the 1st round.

Thanks mang.  They have really stepped up defensively.  Howard has been playing extremely well on D.  Metta is playing really well on D.  Kobe is playing as well as I've seen since the 2000-2003 championship run.

But they are still a ways away from looking like a championship team. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
Thanks mang.  They have really stepped up defensively.  Howard has been playing extremely well on D.  Metta is playing really well on D.  Kobe is playing as well as I've seen since the 2000-2003 championship run.

But they are still a ways away from looking like a championship team. 

i cant explain kobe at the moment, his 25 again. even skip bayliss asked "has he changed his diet" i assume his not taking any kind of PED's but my cousin was over yesterday, he said kobe is most likely injury free at the moment, hope he stays that way.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2013, 02:49:21 PM »
Bobcats.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2013, 02:54:32 PM »
Not looking good for LA.  They have to win out (five games) and Utah has to lose at least once. 

Check out this stat:

Craziest Steve Nash-Dwight Howard stat you will ever see
Mike Foss, USA TODAY Sports
April 4, 2013

Dwight Howard has been horrific from the free throw line this season. Howard is 314-for-646 from the line (49%), missing 332 free throws.

That's how many free throws Steve Nash has missed in his entire 17-year career.

Winner: Steve Nash.

322 missed FTs lifetime.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2013/04/04/steve-nash-dwight-howard-free-throws/2052547/

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »
If he shot at least 60% he'd average 25 points a game, easy. It doesn't seem like he wants to work on making it better.

I'm sure Kobe is plenty pissed about being almost 35 years old and not having a playoff season in his golden years. Howard won't re-sign. He can't handle the pressure of playing in L.A. He likes the limelight but he doesn't really want it, either.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2013, 03:37:53 PM »
If he shot at least 60% he'd average 25 points a game, easy. It doesn't seem like he wants to work on making it better.

I'm sure Kobe is plenty pissed about being almost 35 years old and not having a playoff season in his golden years. Howard won't re-sign. He can't handle the pressure of playing in L.A. He likes the limelight but he doesn't really want it, either.

It's an absolute waste of a phenomenal year by Kobe.  Best I've seen him play in years.  The team hasn't been healthy all year and I don't think the starters played together for even half a season, but still a waste.   

I doubt Howard leaves.  He's not going to leave that fifth year on the table that no other team can offer, plus the increased endorsement money that comes with being a Laker. 

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2013, 11:03:27 AM »
kobe possible achilles tear last night now they're really done. he stayed in the game sank 2 free throws and than was carried off. :( :( :(
F

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2013, 07:13:56 AM »
Sucks for him to get this injury in his golden years. He may be re-thinking about retiring after next season. Because it will take him probably a year and half for him to get back to form.

Was he playing too many minutes for this injury to happen? I think so.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2013, 07:33:20 AM »
kobe possible achilles tear last night now they're really done. he stayed in the game sank 2 free throws and than was carried off walked off like G :( :( :(

FIXED  >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2013, 11:59:17 AM »
He walked off the court.  Kobe is a stud. 

I initially thought the heavy minutes and foot/ankle injuries were to blame, but the more I hear about these kinds of injuries, the more I question whether those were the causes.  Seems like a freak injury that happens to young and old.  Non-contact injury.   

If anyone can come back from something like this, it's Kobe. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
He walked off the court.  Kobe is a stud.  

I initially thought the heavy minutes and foot/ankle injuries were to blame, but the more I hear about these kinds of injuries, the more I question whether those were the causes.  Seems like a freak injury that happens to young and old.  Non-contact injury.    

If anyone can come back from something like this, it's Kobe.  

No doubt he can come back from it. But does he want to work hard enough to come back only to play the last year of his career? What kind of team will the Lakers be? Kobe is to receive 30 million in salary coming off a major injury. Should be interesting how it pans out. But it sure sucks to see a superstar go down like that when he worked so hard to get his team to the playoffs.

I'm curious to see how the Lakers respond and play. For one, Dwight is going to see a hell of a lot more touches on offense.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:45 PM »
No doubt he can come back from it. But does he want to work hard enough to come back only to play the last year of his career? What kind of team will the Lakers be? Kobe is to receive 30 million in salary coming off a major injury. Should be interesting how it pans out. But it sure sucks to see a superstar go down like that when he worked so hard to get his team to the playoffs.

I'm curious to see how the Lakers respond and play. For one, Dwight is going to see a hell of a lot more touches on offense.

I don't think there is any way he walks away.  He was playing the best BB I'd seen since the Shaq days, and his game had already evolved to being less reliant on playing above the rim.  This is the same guy who added a new move or shot to his game pretty much every offseason (the Duncan backboard shot, Dirk one-legged fadaway, the Dream Shake, etc.).  He's going to come back with an improved outside shot and some other component that will allow him to play at an elite level.  That's my guess. 

I'm really interested to see how Howard responds too.  If Nash comes back, he'll actually have a better supporting cast than the one he took to the Finals while in Orlando. 

And I really want to smack D'Antoni upside the head for benching Pau (and trying to turn him into a three point shooter).  He has been balling the last month playing down low. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
I don't think there is any way he walks away.  He was playing the best BB I'd seen since the Shaq days, and his game had already evolved to being less reliant on playing above the rim.  This is the same guy who added a new move or shot to his game pretty much every offseason (the Duncan backboard shot, Dirk one-legged fadaway, the Dream Shake, etc.).  He's going to come back with an improved outside shot and some other component that will allow him to play at an elite level.  That's my guess.  

I'm really interested to see how Howard responds too.  If Nash comes back, he'll actually have a better supporting cast than the one he took to the Finals while in Orlando.   And I really want to smack D'Antoni upside the head for benching Pau (and trying to turn him into a three point shooter).  He has been balling the last month playing down low.  

That's debatable. We're talking about a 39 year old Nash and a weak bench. If you think Steve Blake is gonna score like that every game like against San Antonio, then that's wishful thinking. Jamison is still a decent player but he is way past his prime. Artest is coming off a knee surgery too.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
That's debatable. We're talking about a 39 year old Nash and a weak bench. If you think Steve Blake is gonna score like that every game like against San Antonio, then that's wishful thinking. Jamison is still a decent player but he is way past his prime. Artest is coming off a knee surgery too.

I agree it's debatable.  The Lakers have been decimated by injuries.  The worst season I can ever remember when it comes to injuries. 

Here is what Howard had in Orlando:

Rashard Lewis
Hedo
Raefer Alston
Pietrus
Courtney Lee
Jameer Nelson
Reddick

I see it this way:

Pau > Lewis
Metta - Hedo (probably even)
Earl Clark/Blake > Pietrus/Lee
Nash > Alston/Nelson

I don't know what Blake is going to do going forward, but he has been playing extremely well the last month.  Very impressive. 

How about this:  if LA beats Houston tomorrow they're in, get the 7th seed, and play SA in round 1.  Much better match up than OKC. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2013, 12:58:50 PM »
I agree it's debatable.  The Lakers have been decimated by injuries.  The worst season I can ever remember when it comes to injuries.  

Here is what Howard had in Orlando:

Rashard Lewis
Hedo
Raefer Alston
Pietrus
Courtney Lee
Jameer Nelson
Reddick

I see it this way:

Pau > Lewis
Metta - Hedo (probably even)
Earl Clark/Blake > Pietrus/Lee
Nash > Alston/Nelson

I don't know what Blake is going to do going forward, but he has been playing extremely well the last month.  Very impressive.  

How about this:  if LA beats Houston tomorrow they're in, get the 7th seed, and play SA in round 1.  Much better match up than OKC.  

Very interesting. No Ginobli for SA either. Dwight Howard has to be the main go-to guy. Time for him to grow a set of balls and get mean out there and be the man. Just dominate. He can run circles around Duncan in the post.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2013, 01:27:33 PM »
Very interesting. No Ginobli for SA either. Dwight Howard has to be the main go-to guy. Time for him to grow a set of balls and get mean out there and be the man. Just dominate. He can run circles around Duncan in the post.

Parker hasn't fully recovered either.  Should be a good series if it happens. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: April 22, 2013, 02:21:07 PM »
Glad to see they made it.  I heard someone say that Howard, Gasol, Metta, Kobe, and Nash played a total of seven games together as a starting five. 

Pretty bad performance in game 1.  Going to be a long offseason. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:16 AM »
Glad to see they made it.  I heard someone say that Howard, Gasol, Metta, Kobe, and Nash played a total of seven games together as a starting five. 

Pretty bad performance in game 1.  Going to be a long offseason. 

Fucking Duncan still plays like a stud and he's 37. Unreal.

It's a 7 game series...lot of ball yet to play.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2013, 12:49:29 PM »
Fucking Duncan still plays like a stud and he's 37. Unreal.

It's a 7 game series...lot of ball yet to play.

Agree.  Duncan is the man. 

We shall see.  I hope LA makes it respectable.  As they say, it's not a series till the home team loses. 

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »
sorry guys, my nieghbour killed himself. left 2 kids 6 and 5, fucken scumbug.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »
whoa....that sucks.

Suicide is utter lunacy to me. The pain and suffering to your loved ones that you leave behind is so damaging. Selfish, shitty thing to do.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: April 24, 2013, 06:42:01 PM »
sorry guys, my nieghbour killed himself. left 2 kids 6 and 5, fucken scumbug.

That's awful.  Those poor kids.  Sorry.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: April 24, 2013, 06:45:21 PM »
whoa....that sucks.

Suicide is utter lunacy to me. The pain and suffering to your loved ones that you leave behind is so damaging. Selfish, shitty thing to do.

I felt the same until a friend of mine did it.  He did it for the insurance money for his kids.  (At least that's my theory.)  I'm a lot more sympathetic about the whole concept now.  I saw my friend about a day or so before he killed himself.  Looked fine.  Normal.  But he had to feel like he had nobody he could talk to.  No help.  Must have been pretty dark in those final hours. 

I agree that overall it's often a selfish act, but you never know what despair and depression can do.  Well, actually it kills people . . . .

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:03 AM »
I hear you but I still think it's a selfish chickenshit thing to do, especially if you have children. I had a cousin who did it and left behind four kids. Anger has not yet given way to sympathy yet and it's been years since it happened. He left behind a good wife who was a great mother. Still is.

I see your side of it as well though. Depression can kill people. But you got a find away to let your survivalist mentality take over and dig your way out of that dark hole.

Anyway...Nash out again with the hamstring issue. Not looking good.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: April 25, 2013, 12:32:37 PM »
I hear you but I still think it's a selfish chickenshit thing to do, especially if you have children. I had a cousin who did it and left behind four kids. Anger has not yet given way to sympathy yet and it's been years since it happened. He left behind a good wife who was a great mother. Still is.

I see your side of it as well though. Depression can kill people. But you got a find away to let your survivalist mentality take over and dig your way out of that dark hole.

Anyway...Nash out again with the hamstring issue. Not looking good.

I like the quote I've read in several places:  permanent solution to a temporary problem.  Still, you never know what is going on in someone's life or in their head, whether it's clinical, etc.  Some people are stronger than others.     

The Lakers injury-plagued season is so bad it's almost comical:  Howard injured.  Pau missed a good portion of the season.  Nash has been injured all season.  Blake missed over a month.  Jordan Hill missed the season.  Metta had surgery.  Kobe out.

Kupchak has a lot of work to do this offseason.