Author Topic: sternum pull-ups  (Read 21827 times)

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
sternum pull-ups
« on: December 12, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
I believe this to be the most efficient form of pull-up and superior to chin-ups wide grip. My reason for this is the greater shoulder retraction, therefore more lat engagement.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Re: sternum pull-ups
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »
fair enough

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 05:06:01 AM »
check this out...

D.O.U.P

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »
I have been doing neutral grip pull-ups and sternum pull ups for two years now.

I used to do lat pull and my back sucked.

Now Its WAY better.

Full range pull ups WORK.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 06:12:04 PM »
check this out...

that looks awesome... i'm subbing it for bent over rows on saturday!

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 08:35:58 PM »
That close grip, pull to the lower rig box, is excellent. Using a pair of lat handles or inter lacing the fingers together. Seem gymnast doing a form of these using a bar or a pair of rings, in regular training.

Rope climbing (free form...feet held out to 90 degrees..pure upper body strength) is not included much in BB'ing workouts. A very overlooked exercise for building lats and larger biceps.  Probably the liability of injury, if a person was to fall or otherwise get hurt, in the present commercial gyms's, spa's, physical Fitness Centers, etc..or what ever you want to call those less than serious training places.

Negative one arm chins also have a place with serious lat training.   Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
That close grip, pull to the lower rig box, is excellent. Using a pair of lat handles or inter lacing the fingers together. Seem gymnast doing a form of these using a bar or a pair of rings, in regular training.

Rope climbing (free form...feet held out to 90 degrees..pure upper body strength) is not included much in BB'ing workouts. A very overlooked exercise for building lats and larger biceps.  Probably the liability of injury, if a person was to fall or otherwise get hurt, in the present commercial gyms's, spa's, physical Fitness Centers, etc..or what ever you want to call those less than serious training places.

Negative one arm chins also have a place with serious lat training.   Good Luck.
yes rope climbing just using the arms is a good workout. Used a lot more by the Military( or at least at my time). I like it.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

Negative one arm chins also have a place with serious lat training.   Good Luck.

have tried these a few times... one of those moves that i needed to practice to feel comfortable doing

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:31:33 PM »
one arm chins are for me for people who want to show off in the Gym. Only saw it once in the Gym and for good reason.. not practicable for most people and is a lot of stress on the shoulder and bicep tendon..in short risky and why do it? It was used in the Golden days by Jack la lane and other muscle beach guys like Steve reeves while posing and having fun.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2012, 09:58:11 AM »
The one arm chin can be an exceptional movement. Insuring equal development in strength and development  to both side of the body. Not quite sure why it might be judged a "show off" movements..but than again, to each his own.

Have some of the older gentlemen doing negative versions of one arm chins. Beginning with the free hand grasping the wrist of the working hand. After awhile they hold the free hand behind the back when doing slow negatives. Usually 7 reps and above. Best done on a gymnastic ring or a above handle that will turn with the wrist. The usually try at a negative rep is zero. After a bit of training, the reps and strength can increase very well. I work with some older golfers , and weight training seems to help with their game very well indeed.

I think that with older persons, they would do well to pay attention to such exercises a chins and dips. Insuring a balance push/pull strength. Just my experience in this. Giving them one legged step-ups and Bulgarian squats also seems to give benefit not only to leg/hip strength but also balance.   Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2012, 10:34:34 AM »
The one arm chin can be an exceptional movement. Insuring equal development in strength and development  to both side of the body. Not quite sure why it might be judged a "show off" movements..but than again, to each his own.

Have some of the older gentlemen doing negative versions of one arm chins. Beginning with the free hand grasping the wrist of the working hand. After awhile they hold the free hand behind the back when doing slow negatives. Usually 7 reps and above. Best done on a gymnastic ring or a above handle that will turn with the wrist. The usually try at a negative rep is zero. After a bit of training, the reps and strength can increase very well. I work with some older golfers , and weight training seems to help with their game very well indeed.

I think that with older persons, they would do well to pay attention to such exercises a chins and dips. Insuring a balance push/pull strength. Just my experience in this. Giving them one legged step-ups and Bulgarian squats also seems to give benefit not only to leg/hip strength but also balance.   Good Luck.
well you must have some very robust seniors where you train. I would never show a senior this and i have NEVER seen it done from a senior. If anything i would use a pull down apparatus or Hammer strength machine where you can use one arm(safer and controlled). One arm chins are for people with above average strength and training experience.I bet most fit guys here would struggle with it so i find it absurd to say seniors do it under your supervision.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2012, 10:46:01 AM »
aside from the injury risks itīs not an exercise for older trainers who mostly are in the gym to help with joint problems by building strength. Itīs a bit like sending your Grandmother in the squat rack. Hanging from one arm with negative reps is an enormous strain on the soft structures. why do you think itīs so loved in the Heavy Duty system(it works but for fit people) .. negatives are very dangerous for an untrained or older person. we have diffrent opinions i think but thatīs how it is.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 11:32:04 AM »
Donny: Guessing you are within the British Isles?  Explaining that in Southern California, the attitudes and active life style might be quite different. We have sunshine most of the year. Outdoor actives and a athletic attitude are held with people well into their 70's out here. Some 55 t0 65 years old women are still very attractive. Hot & MILF would be the term used, quite often, when referring to them.

The term "senior"  and "older gentleman" may pertain to a different way of looking at things. 55 year of age would be considered senior in America. "Old Gentleman" and "senior" are not always interchangeable. Older might be consider with those reaching the mid 40's or even 70's, depending of their physical activity and health.

One arm chins are not always for people with exceptional strength. Even women have been know to include this movement into their workout schemes. The human body have wonderful adapting methods, even in older age, to become stronger and add muscle mass. Studies include men in their late 80's to 90's improving through well planned training.

The rewards of negative chins are very clear. And at most any age. So feel free to surmount your own theories and methods and I will continue to do the same from my point of view and experience.  Good Luck.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 11:48:43 AM »
Donny: Guessing you are within the British Isles?  Explaining that in Southern California, the attitudes and active life style might be quite different. We have sunshine most of the year. Outdoor actives and a athletic attitude are held with people well into their 70's out here. Some 55 t0 65 years old women are still very attractive. Hot & MILF would be the term used, quite often, when referring to them.

i need a sugar mama out there

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

The term "senior"  and "older gentleman" may pertain to a different way of looking at things. 55 year of age would be considered senior in America. "Old Gentleman" and "senior" are not always interchangeable. Older might be consider with those reaching the mid 40's or even 70's, depending of their physical activity and health.

One arm chins are not always for people with exceptional strength. Even women have been know to include this movement into their workout schemes. The human body have wonderful adapting methods, even in older age, to become stronger and add muscle mass. Studies include men in their late 80's to 90's improving through well planned training.

The rewards of negative chins are very clear. And at most any age. So feel free to surmount your own theories and methods and I will continue to do the same from my point of view and experience.  Good Luck.
your saying that the sun and conditions make these "seniors" chin like a king..my god man read what you are writing. I am in germany and i have seen some old guys train who were gymnasts and who could chin the bar and do some gymnastics but you are now trying to talk your way out by saying in the UK or Europe the sun makes a difference!! Jeez .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
one arm chins do not need exceptional strength?  ??? old ladies can do them? A bodybuilder like Ripitupbaby yes ,, you must be the "secret trainer for eternal youth"

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
Donny: Compose yourself, take a little time and come up with a better response.  Or are there only special hours the mental clinic will allow you to use the patients living room computers?  Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2012, 12:42:33 PM »
Donny: Compose yourself, take a little time and come up with a better response.  Or are there only special hours the mental clinic will allow you to use the patients living room computers?  Good Luck.
oh JPM is getting upset because he has made a fool of himself...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2012, 12:46:52 PM »
you wrote advice that anyone who works in a gym would not give.. and please do not think i am a weekend trainer with a ball because i am not.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 02:31:00 AM »
gents...

i think if you both re-read each others' posts you will see value in both perspectives...

remember that the reason for rhetoric is that everything is perception and perceptions differ individually...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
gents...

i think if you both re-read each others' posts you will see value in both perspectives...

remember that the reason for rhetoric is that everything is perception and perceptions differ individually...
Yes Wooo you are correct. lets all be friends again... ;D

DD Holland

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 10:57:00 AM »
I have seen way to many fail videos on youtube to want to try this one!

I'd get proper equipment not a doorway perch.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2013, 06:45:31 AM »
this chin up was pionnered by vince .gironda . yes a great move .

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2013, 05:20:58 PM »
this chin up was pionnered by vince .gironda . yes a great move .

dude

we've been doing chin ups since we were monkeys... literally...

vince gironda did not pioneer anything