Author Topic: Flat BB bench a "shoulder killer"  (Read 15499 times)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
Flat BB bench a "shoulder killer"
« on: December 22, 2012, 11:08:58 AM »
I hear people say this all the time.....

Why is it worse on shoulders than incline or decline?

Does it matter if its bb or db ?

kimo

• Getbig III
Re: Flat BB bench a "shoulder killer"
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »
barbell is tougher . well i never had any trouble . dont overdo flt bench anyway . train shoulder accordingly . presses laterals . etc .

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 11:38:25 AM »
barbell is tougher . well i never had any trouble . dont overdo flt bench anyway . train shoulder accordingly . presses laterals . etc .

I really dislike using barbells when training chest but the dbs at my new gym are on the lighter side.  :(

But I wonder why a flat bb would be worse for my shoulders than an incline when shoulders come more into play when on the elevated angle....

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
12 years ago i wrecked my left shoulder at work, dislocation. after i recovered i started useing this machine for flat benching never went back. can be used for flat, incline,decline and upright 90 degrees presses. i also do some light incline work never over 60 lb dbs and standing presses never over 135lbs.
F

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »
i've had shoulder issues in the past but for me it comes down to a good warm up... as long as my joints are always well 'lubricated' before i start lifting i can avoid most issues... i've had similar experiences with my wrists, elbows and knees

my current warm up consists of joint circles and then some jump rope

joint circles routine looks like this and takes me about 5 minutes

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 11:01:29 AM »
I fucked up my shoulder a while ago doing flat barbell bench, and that fixed plane hurts it still, but i am fine on db flat bench.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 11:25:58 AM »
Decline Bench is kinder to your shoulders too.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
i've had shoulder issues in the past but for me it comes down to a good warm up... as long as my joints are always well 'lubricated' before i start lifting i can avoid most issues... i've had similar experiences with my wrists, elbows and knees

my current warm up consists of joint circles and then some jump rope

joint circles routine looks like this and takes me about 5 minutes

Good stuff Woo!

I fucked up my shoulder a while ago doing flat barbell bench, and that fixed plane hurts it still, but i am fine on db flat bench.

Sucks!

Decline Bench is kinder to your shoulders too.

Haven't done these in years as my chest is lagging in the upper portion. You think I should still be doing this exercise?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Good stuff Woo!

yeah i know that it looks a bit retarded but it really works and warms up my joints

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »
train your delts hard dont overdo the flat bench .

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2012, 06:19:06 AM »
yeah i know that it looks a bit retarded but it really works and warms up my joints
Itīs not retarded Wooo itīs great advice...thank you.

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2012, 06:20:19 AM »
what is vitaly important is the width of the bench you are using. you do want a wide enough bench that it supports your shoulders while your benching or YES you can hurt your shoulders.

the problem isn't BB benching, the problem is the width of the bench itself that is the danger.
sept 10th APF

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2012, 07:10:09 AM »
what is vitaly important is the width of the bench you are using. you do want a wide enough bench that it supports your shoulders while your benching or YES you can hurt your shoulders.

the problem isn't BB benching, the problem is the width of the bench itself that is the danger.
I agree with you. This is the same with chin ups. Wide Grip ...wide lats. Do not believe it at all. Wide grip benches and chins leave the shoulder open to injury. I bench slightly wider than shoulder width and chins i do supinated sternum chins. Also the press behind neck is a suspect exercise. A very good post nasht5

nasht5

• Getbig IV
  • 903 squat 457bench 735 dead - "RAW" (belt & wraps)
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2012, 07:33:03 AM »
behind the neck press and even behind the neck pulldowns are very technical excercises that require strict proper form. alot of injuries originate for people who do these movements with improper form, to much weight and not warming up & stretching properly.
sept 10th APF

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 08:05:00 AM »
behind the neck press and even behind the neck pulldowns are very technical excercises that require strict proper form. alot of injuries originate for people who do these movements with improper form, to much weight and not warming up & stretching properly.
I see the press behind the neck very seldom where i work.. i know a guy who does a front press followed by a rear press (not new Gironda liked these) The rear lat pull down i see often but i do not recommend it like the rear delt press. For lats sterum pull ups or pull downs(leaning slighty back press your chest out) feel your shoulder blades move. Only my opinion ... ;D

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2012, 05:21:16 AM »
someone who is built solidly and eat well should not be that prone to injury . though . i remember at age 18 benching my near max without warm up and i did not injure myself.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2012, 05:57:59 AM »
someone who is built solidly and eat well should not be that prone to injury . though . i remember at age 18 benching my near max without warm up and i did not injure myself.
yes some people bench heavy for years and are OK...some find dips better or decline press...for others Dumbbells are the best exercise. We are all diffrent.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2012, 06:13:24 AM »

I remember feeling a little pain in my left shoulder back when I started lifting the 40 lb dbs  ;D

Either some structural flaw or a previous sport injury. Luckily it's not bad but I do feel a little discomfort from time to time. I've been able to keep training for 10 years and adding weight without any serious injury but at times the left shoulder does start acting up.

That's the reason I'm wondering about the flat cause I wanna be able to keep training forever like some the older guys here who train smart.

For chest I never use a weight I can't handle for at least 6-8 reps and if cutting out flat bb would help prevent future injuries than I'm willing to ditch them.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2012, 07:09:51 AM »
I remember feeling a little pain in my left shoulder back when I started lifting the 40 lb dbs  ;D

Either some structural flaw or a previous sport injury. Luckily it's not bad but I do feel a little discomfort from time to time. I've been able to keep training for 10 years and adding weight without any serious injury but at times the left shoulder does start acting up.

That's the reason I'm wondering about the flat cause I wanna be able to keep training forever like some the older guys here who train smart.

For chest I never use a weight I can't handle for at least 6-8 reps and if cutting out flat bb would help prevent future injuries than I'm willing to ditch them.
you do not have to Flat Bench press. If i was you i would do Decline bench and Incline DB press or a machine like incline hammer press...up to you. Or dips and incline press...or dips..push ups...db flys (tri set)...after 3-5 sets you will be fried. experiment..THERE ARE NO RULES;; JUST WHAT WORKS FOR YOU:

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2012, 07:30:47 AM »
you do not have to Flat Bench press. If i was you i would do Decline bench and Incline DB press or a machine like incline hammer press...up to you. Or dips and incline press...or dips..push ups...db flys (tri set)...after 3-5 sets you will be fried. experiment..THERE ARE NO RULES;; JUST WHAT WORKS FOR YOU:

Cool donny I will try different things. I think it may be time for something like a tri set or just lighter weights and keep moving along quicker.

So hey, do you think an incline bb places less stress on the shoulder?

Thing is, I like to concentrate more on the upper portion of my chest but the dbs at my current gym don't go as high as I'd like them to.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 07:46:54 AM »
I think it depends on you. really best is if you have a good incline bench machine. do these with Decline Barbell press...I know that most people can train with shoulder problems with the Decline and it hits the whole chest, more emphasis on the lower area but you will still get good development. my suggestion:

Decline Barbell press 3-5 sets x 8-10 reps
Flat Bench flyes SUPERSET with
Machine Incline press   3-5 sets x8-10

I do not know if flyes will irritate your shoulders. If they do just stick to pressing. The best angle i had for incline press was about 30% in my home gym.. a thick block of wood under the legs of my bench. It worked great and i used Dumbbells. Really hit my chest, problem is a lot use a too steep incline and hit shoulders more. 30-35% is perfect. Dips i also like but they can be hard for shoulders for some..decline press is a very overlooked exercise...but only you know your body and this is just my opinion

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Chest day today so I'll try the decline today and see how it feels.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 07:56:02 AM »
Thanks for the tips.

Chest day today so I'll try the decline today and see how it feels.

one thing i would avoid with a shoulder injury is incline flyes..thatīs why i wrote do flat flyes if you can do them..

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 09:57:21 AM »
one thing i would avoid with a shoulder injury is incline flyes..thatīs why i wrote do flat flyes if you can do them..
I LIKE INCLINE FLYES BUT YEAH HAVE TO BE CAREFUL.ON A GOOD DAY ALL SYSTEMS ON GO I CAN DO 70'S ON INCLINE FLYE DOSEN'T HAPPEN OFTEN THO,,,50/60'S MOST OF THE TIME.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 05:09:28 AM »
Couldn't do flat db flies yesterday but managed to do decline bb, incline machine and some cable flies.

A recent job I was doing had me overusing my shoulders all day so I think that's the reason why its been acting up again.

Gonna be doing a little traveling in the new year so that'll give me a much needed break. If I don't train for 2 days by the 3rd I start getting withdrawals symptoms and start feeling completely insane. I'll definitely be doing some pushups and pull ups on tree branches at least so I don't kill someone or myself.  ;D