Author Topic: equipment thread.  (Read 132032 times)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: equipment thread.
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:06 PM »

Afa & Sika's?
Did they close up?
when the old man retired to florida the kid took over and moved it to hazelton pa it might still be there as far as i know. they still put on shows in the area. sportsfest in allentown used to be there wrestlemania. ;D ;D ;D ;D
F

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
when the old man retired to florida the kid took over and moved it to hazelton pa it might still be there as far as i know. they still put on shows in the area. sportsfest in allentown used to be there wrestlemania. ;D ;D ;D ;D

That's nice that it still "means" something there. I like seeing that.

serpico

• Getbig II
  • Getbig or die trying!
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2013, 10:42:45 AM »
Does anybody remember what the  T-bar row unit at the old Gold's/World gym in California looked like? Can anyone replicate that piece?

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2013, 10:48:32 AM »
Does anybody remember what the  T-bar row unit at the old Gold's/World gym in California looked like? Can anyone replicate that piece?

If you find a picture of it, there are people who make custom equipment like that. Craigslist can probably help you locate them. You could also search for any welders who perform work on the side. They may be able to do something like that.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Does anybody remember what the  T-bar row unit at the old Gold's/World gym in California looked like? Can anyone replicate that piece?
:D :D this is one of the simplist pieces of gym equipment, you can usually find the pic of franco columbo rowing with about 7 plates on it.pic'd is tom prince useing one. i actually had one and threw it out several years ago. check with jubinville equipment co they might still make them.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2013, 11:01:22 AM »
:D :D this is one of the simplist pieces of gym equipment, you can usually find the pic of franco columbo rowing with about 7 plates on it.pic'd is tom prince useing one. i actually had one and threw it out several years ago. check with jubinville equipment co they might still make them.
this is the newer model with the back support same motion but it saves the strain on the lower back. check the powertec catalogue online they make a multi lever machine not sure if you can t-bar row on it however.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #81 on: February 25, 2013, 11:13:08 AM »
go on bodysolid equipment  you can buy the piece for under 60 bucks. you get a bracket for floor put an olympic bar in it and the handle device and row away.i would sooner get the back supported model though a little more expensive but it saves the lower back in the long run. also check out yukon equipment co. and york barbell 's web site.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2013, 10:38:00 AM »
found a powertec catalogue they sell a bent over row unit looks pretty functional. ;D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2013, 01:43:17 PM »
;)
F

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2013, 07:32:23 AM »
t bar rows were and still unconfortable and . some dislike them . . loaded calf machine with paltes were funny . you cannot always stack much .

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »
 :)
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2013, 11:45:45 AM »
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: March 14, 2013, 07:23:43 AM »
when was the last time anyone has seen stall bars in a gym, those were the wooden ladder like rack you used to see in high school and college gyms that you'd hook your feet in to do situps or hang on for leg raises. ??? ??? ???
stall bars finally found the pic. looks like a lot iof fun. my old college gym had these. you'd lock your feet and lay over a bench and do sit-ups, or hang from it and do leg raises.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2013, 09:22:43 AM »
we had these in school.... infact it was quite complex for the time with wooden beams too.. doing pull ups on them and the benches attached to it. it all could be folded away via rollers. ropes also came out for climbing.

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2013, 10:11:07 AM »
vertical leg presses of all kind . and moon benches . . that said in the early days we were not bothered by v dips a shoulder wrecker . for some . and gyms as big as airports .

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
seems like a lot of equipment to do a simple lift.
F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2013, 12:37:05 PM »
That device that John Grimek is on was also used for a version on Hack squats, as well as DL's.. And with huge weights on the bottom platform. Believe that photo was shot at the old York gym.

But the main purpose might have been the king of all leg & back lifts, the Harness belt exercises. Which could show how strong the human body really was. Guy's using near and above 1,000lbs and for higher reps, at times.

Any old picture of the original Hopper Dead lift platforms, I wonder. Hugh weight was also used in those movements..and higher reps, at times. Something like the rubber tire rebound training, but the platforms were made out of heavy wooden planks. Really strong men back in the day.
F

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:06 PM »
That device that John Grimek is on was also used for a version on Hack squats, as well as DL's.. And with huge weights on the bottom platform. Believe that photo was shot at the old York gym.

But the main purpose might have been the king of all leg & back lifts, the Harness belt exercises. Which could show how strong the human body really was. Guy's using near and above 1,000lbs and for higher reps, at times.

Any old picture of the original Hopper Dead lift platforms, I wonder. Hugh weight was also used in those movements..and higher reps, at times. Something like the rubber tire rebound training, but the platforms were made out of heavy wooden planks. Really strong men back in the day.

J:
I'm not sure when your Uncles "retired" from the iron scene (maybe they haven't), but do they ever draw comparisons between the lifters of their day versus some of the interesting "characters" we have today?

I guess I'm referring to the "kids these days" type of talk? ;D

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2013, 03:22:11 PM »

i wished i would have looked the place over better visited 2x's in the mid 60's. i didn't think to get jcg autograph. i met and bought stuff off john terlazzo both times. place is entirely different now in the new location.
F

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2013, 08:01:54 AM »
this thing was called a hand and thigh lift . warren lincoln travis louis cyr and others lifted on this .

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2013, 10:52:38 AM »
Funk51

Far as my uncles go, they keep the workouts to once or twice a week. They don't kid themselves, being around the mid 60's age, things have slowed down for both. Pretty much cleans and presses, squats, etc..basic stuff. They have a power rack as the only piece of equipment. With some of those old veterans, working out is like a drug, they have to do it at least once a week to feel good. Uncles live in Hollywood, one above the old Bodhi Tree book store (Melrose ave). the other up from the strip, above the Whiskey.

Uncles don't say that the BB'ers, in the late 60's/70's were that much different or better, BB'ing will always have more than it's share of characters. Just that the old school guy's were more friendly and helped each other a lot in workouts and training ideas. Not so much that way today. Met a few old timer veterans (through the uncles) with reams of training information, knowledge and experience happy to share with a teenager like me (back when I was a teenager).  Listening to them talk about the old days and workout experiences was worth the price of gold to me.

Some of the top or Pro BB'ers of today are heavy drug users, and a few deal. Some are bi-sexual, or just plain gay, and have "friends"  helping with living and  BB'ing chemical expenses. Might be surprise by some of the names.  I'm talking SoCal, don't know about the rest of America. Been told that also happened back than, but to a much, much lesser degree than today. Taking drugs back than was usually orally, which for some causes liver and kidney problems. Also had a weaker affect for increasing muscle mass. But did work for  a few named BB'ers. Some had special doctors who old use needle injections to by pass the liver & kidneys.

Ground beef, canned tuna, milk were pretty much the stable for BB'ers back in the day. Protein supplements were mostly laced with soy powder, so very poor quality. Liver (powder/tabs) were the big thing way back then.

F

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2013, 11:13:40 AM »
Thank you Kimo, trying to think of the device. Wonder if Funk51, or anyone else, has pictures of people working with a harness lift? Pain in the ass to set up, but preety affected for an great workout.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »
 >:(
F

kimo

• Getbig III
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 10:24:56 AM »
vertical leg press was there until 1980 or so . then the 45 degrees came . the other lift is harness lift . done in a rack mostly .

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
Used to have a vertical leg press in my gym, I really liked it.
H