Author Topic: Old school standing shoulder presses  (Read 20961 times)

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
Old school standing shoulder presses
« on: January 16, 2013, 04:41:34 AM »
I've been lifting for 20 years. In all those years I've never done standing barbell presses. I've done thrusters and clean/jerk and snatch, etc. and obviously I've done several variations of seated shoulder presses.

2 weeks ago I decided to try the standing version after watching big Lou do them in pumping iron. Well. I'm in love. Not with Lou of course. With standing barbell shoulder presses.

I can manage 245 for 8-10 seated but standing I struggled with 135 in the first week. This week my last set was with 185 for 10 and it was awesome (brutal).

The movement is difficult. It requires a lot of total body strength to manage strict overhead presses. Best of all cheating for 1 or 2 more reps is pretty easy (thruster style).

Anybody do these?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
Re: Old school standing shoulder presses
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 04:48:20 AM »
I've been lifting for 20 years. In all those years I've never done standing barbell presses. I've done thrusters and clean/jerk and snatch, etc. and obviously I've done several variations of seated shoulder presses.

2 weeks ago I decided to try the standing version after watching big Lou do them in pumping iron. Well. I'm in love. Not with Lou of course. With standing barbell shoulder presses.

I can manage 245 for 8-10 seated but standing I struggled with 135 in the first week. This week my last set was with 185 for 10 and it was awesome (brutal).

The movement is difficult. It requires a lot of total body strength to manage strict overhead presses. Best of all cheating for 1 or 2 more reps is pretty easy (thruster style).

Anybody do these?
i always do them standing. I do not even wear a belt either. will be doing them today

booty

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:58 AM »
I used to always do them standing and then I started sitting.  Last week I went back to standing ones and preferred them over sitting down.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 05:03:29 AM »
I've done both, though lately, I've done them seated.
IMO, both offer advantages:

Seated is a bit more forgiving on the back and can keep the form stricter.

Standing recruits more stabilizer muscles, and the legs can be used to extend sets past positive failure by employing a a push-press if so desired. Minor adjustments in posture can also provide a bit of added leverage at the desired points.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:40:39 AM »
i always do them standing. I do not even wear a belt either. will be doing them today

i do not wear any assists when training anymore... no straps, gloves, belts, wraps, whatever... just me, some chalk and the iron

I used to always do them standing and then I started sitting.  Last week I went back to standing ones and preferred them over sitting down.

why?

I've done both, though lately, I've done them seated.
IMO, both offer advantages:

Seated is a bit more forgiving on the back and can keep the form stricter.

Standing recruits more stabilizer muscles, and the legs can be used to extend sets past positive failure by employing a a push-press if so desired. Minor adjustments in posture can also provide a bit of added leverage at the desired points.

I do not find any issues with my back but i focus on not arching back... i try to keep a good spinal alignment when doing them

and you're right about how easy it is to use a bit of 'english' when standing... IMO that's one of the most compelling reasons to do them that way

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:20 AM »
and you're right about how easy it is to use a bit of 'english' when standing... IMO that's one of the most compelling reasons to do them that way

Sure! You can "self-spot" with forced reps, negatives, even doing the push-press, which is a legitimate lift by itself.

I believe that the overhead press was eliminated from some competitions around the 50's because guys were using so much back arching, that the lift almost became a standing bench press! :D
I think Funk told me that.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 11:04:30 AM »
Standing is much better. Im stuck with the seated version at the minute, my home gym is in my shed and the ceiling is only a few inches higher than head height.
Even had to chop several inches off my power rack to fit it in ::)
Fuck a cant wait to move ha.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 11:16:06 AM »
Standing is much better. Im stuck with the seated version at the minute, my home gym is in my shed and the ceiling is only a few inches higher than head height.
Even had to chop several inches off my power rack to fit it in ::)
Fuck a cant wait to move ha.

When the weather gets nicer, take that barbell outside, load it up, and do some cleans & presses.
You can practice hang cleans now to get in shape for Spring! 8)

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:58 AM »

Sure! You can "self-spot" with forced reps, negatives, even doing the push-press, which is a legitimate lift by itself.

I believe that the overhead press was eliminated from some competitions around the 50's because guys were using so much back arching, that the lift almost became a standing bench press! :D
I think Funk told me that.
the guy who did a picture perfect 390 press was said to be the biggest offender to the leaning or arching press.
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 11:30:34 AM »
as far as i know the press was eliminated for the 1972 olympics and it became a two lift event. judging the press was said to be too hard. ;D
F

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 11:34:53 AM »
I love the standing shoulder presses. It's funny how many people bitch about how they can't get their shoulders to grow but refuse to press standing up.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »

When the weather gets nicer, take that barbell outside, load it up, and do some cleans & presses.
you are so correct about hang cleans, my last shoulder workout i did them and the fact you clean the bar fatigues your forearms, biceps, shoulders, mainly front delts...i had to use less weight because normally i take the weight off my squat stands at shoulder height.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:01:10 PM »

I thought about doing a few sets outside every couple of weeks to stay in the groove, set to be minus 8 tonite with heavy snow, so gonna be a few months yet.

I have always found the clean part not to cause much trouble, had no squat rack back in the day and have to clean and half push press the weight to get it on the shoulders, then off again. Used to fear it immensely ha

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
 :D
F

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:13:55 PM »
:D
these are how my stands look pic is of somebody elses. yorkies. ;D ;D ;D
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:15:31 PM »
I love the standing shoulder presses. It's funny how many people bitch about how they can't get their shoulders to grow but refuse to press standing up.
bread and butter of shoulder training

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 12:16:24 PM »
these are how my stands look pic is of somebody elses. yorkies. ;D ;D ;D
there's my stands, being used as a rack for other stuff.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:36 PM »
like the sword funky  :)

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 12:21:33 PM »
Shoulder pressing while seated is inwittingly (or perhaps intentionally) a cheat movement as much of the force transmitted through the arms to the shoulder is taken by the lower back and pressed in to the back of the seat. You may be able to drive more weight up while seated but is it you or the seat in the way a smith machine allows you press more than free weights as the lateral support work is removed
c

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »

Will use a PR when doing overhead presses.  Include doing quarter and half reps partials. Push presses (bar resting on the heels of the palm) give a more direct inline power surge with the wrist/forearms. With a regular grip (bar resting on the palms & thumbs wrapped around) the bar/weight is off center of the line of power.. Some heavy bencher's also use this style, bar resting on the heels of the hand. The jerk press is another superior version of the overhead press.  

With standard pressing, don't want to lock the knees, but have a slight break in them, or else the small of the back gets undo pressure. For strict BB'ing, pre-exhaust front raises with BB presses. Even SS'ing up-right rows with overhead pressing.

For me, one of the better exercises for cleans (and Hi-pulls) is doing them with the knees on the floor (usually folder mat). Seems to develop the upper portion of the power pull quite well. Also pressing from this position.

The side press and sea-saws are my two favorite DB shoulder movements. Good Luck  
F

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 01:50:17 PM »
Use DB's next time. :-*
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 10:39:23 AM »
F

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:48 AM »
For some reason when i do BB overhead press sitting down it hurts my rotators to the point where i can't do them very often.  I think i can get into a more natural position standing up and i don't have any problems pressing heavy weight when i'm standing.  I don't see many people doing them standing these days and I'm not sure why, but i think it's one of the best overall movements someone can use if they want to be truly strong.

8)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:42 PM »
With the barbell when I get to a certain weight I get a shooting pain in my left trap, like a rubber band snapping. Doesn't hurt after, only during the rep.

Don't get it with db's.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 05:57:35 PM »
With the barbell when I get to a certain weight I get a shooting pain in my left trap, like a rubber band snapping. Doesn't hurt after, only during the rep.

Don't get it with db's.

interesting

i haven't had an issue

and i am loving them