Author Topic: 1990 Arnold Classic - Interview with Shawn Ray and Mike Ashley  (Read 7875 times)

Figo

• Getbig V
Re: 1990 Arnold Classic - Interview with Shawn Ray and Mike Ashley
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2013, 12:17:28 PM »
He had full round delts, vascularity, the sucked in dry abs. You don't get that without diuretics, fullness, vascularity and super dry

Also his base was built as a teen, at a young age he was already big, just unpolished.

IMO, lots of anabolics and growth, diuretics,

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2013, 12:20:57 PM »
He had full round delts, vascularity, the sucked in dry abs. You don't get that without diuretics, fullness, vascularity and super dry

Also his base was built as a teen, at a young age he was already big, just unpolished.

8),,,well said,,,

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2013, 01:36:49 PM »

how can there even be speculation of his drug use when you look at that pic of him as a bloated 21 year old. ???

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Good interview with Shawn Ray and Mike Ashley
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2013, 01:48:53 PM »
Because you do not want to bring undue attention, and focus more spotlight on steroids
Any guy that does that is effectively damaging himself too

Do you believe Mike Ashley was a natural bber?

Undue attention? Ray got DISQUALIFIED for steroids and lost his title. You can't get much more attention than that. It's one thing to be one of the other guys who were in the lower placings.

But, to have the WINNER have to cough up his trophy a week later.........That's undue attention for you, right there.

As for whether I believe Ashley to be natural, my honest answer is I don't know. I have my healthy skepticism on one hand. On ther other, again, if someone had the goods on him, he would have ben outed (if you will) long before now.

maxkane69

• Getbig IV
  • PALUMBOISM DESTROYED BODYBUILDING!
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
Apparently, you haven't been around enough liberals.  ;D

Don't you think some of his fellow pros, including Ray himself, would have outed Ashley if he had the goods on him, taking anabolics?
LOL! :D
MCWAY DO YOU BELIEVE IN SANTA CLAUS TOO ? ;D

ChristopherA

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2013, 05:03:42 PM »
well smilax.gamma oranzol,weider super gain 3600,dibenocozide,did give steroid like gains....
Are you making a funny?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2013, 09:55:36 PM »
As for whether I believe Ashley to be natural, my honest answer is I don't know. I have my healthy skepticism on one hand. On ther other, again, if someone had the goods on him, he would have ben outed (if you will) long before now.
how can there even be speculation of his drug use when you look at that pic of him as a bloated 21 year old. ???

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2013, 10:07:23 PM »
yup, just your average 21 year old drug free non bragadocious 750 lb squatting natural powerlifter!!

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2013, 10:22:57 PM »
Undue attention? Ray got DISQUALIFIED for steroids and lost his title. You can't get much more attention than that. It's one thing to be one of the other guys who were in the lower placings.

But, to have the WINNER have to cough up his trophy a week later.........That's undue attention for you, right there.

And Ray could have kept his title and money if he was smart enough to get a cheap lawyer to draft up something and threaten to sue the IFBB like Cutler did in 2001.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2013, 11:26:54 PM »

Obviously what I mean, is undue, unecessary attention. The organizations, and the media empire running the organizations wouldn't want the guys making a fuss about anabolics, since the magazines tout a healthy lifestyle, professionals with morals, running on the beach with their monogamous opposite sex partners, eating fresh healthy foods. Basically keeping up charade.

Its bad for biz. Failing the test was not planned. That's what happens when you sub-contract testing and have it sanctioned and observed by outside agencies. At the time Ben Weider really dreamt of bbing in olympics, and making it more mainstream

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2013, 08:35:58 AM »
Obviously what I mean, is undue, unecessary attention. The organizations, and the media empire running the organizations wouldn't want the guys making a fuss about anabolics, since the magazines tout a healthy lifestyle, professionals with morals, running on the beach with their monogamous opposite sex partners, eating fresh healthy foods. Basically keeping up charade.

Its bad for biz. Failing the test was not planned. That's what happens when you sub-contract testing and have it sanctioned and observed by outside agencies. At the time Ben Weider really dreamt of bbing in olympics, and making it more mainstream

They don't want the guys making a fuss. Yet, they have their second-biggest show drug-tested, with the winner getting DQed and the title going to the initial runner-up?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2013, 09:09:48 AM »
They don't want the guys making a fuss. Yet, they have their second-biggest show drug-tested, with the winner getting DQed and the title going to the initial runner-up?

And at the olympia it got embarrassing, the failed tests and the conditioning, that's why testing went on back burner for a while

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2013, 09:16:42 AM »
And at the olympia it got embarrassing, the failed tests and the conditioning, that's why testing went on back burner for a while

haha, i remember them interviewing lee haney and saying ' lee, you looked awesome, and your test was the cleanest of all!'  ??? ???

that's like bragging that your daughter is the least pregnant in her grade ten class.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2013, 12:25:56 PM »

It wouldn't have been as bad, for the Arnold at least, if just some of the other placers had been popped. But, to have that happen to the winner.......Boy, is that a PR nightmare to walk back.

If people were truly interested in getting steroids out of pro bodybuilding, they would have supported the 1990 Olympia, as well as the 1992 WBF Championship.

Vince McMahon showed everyone what happens when you test everyone for everything but the kitchen sink, as he had Dr. Mauro Dipasquale do for that show. Granted, McMahon had the feds, breathing down his neck. But, nonetheless, he put the effort forth to produce his "100% US Tested Grade A Prime Beef", not only for the WBF but for the then-WWF, as well.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2013, 12:55:17 PM »
YEAH WBF STRYDOM SHOW'S UP ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AS 91 ,,DR MAURO MUST HAVE SIPPED THAT URINE SAMPLE,,MIKE QUINN THO PASSED EASILY CAUSE NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE MIGHTY MIGHT QUINN COULD POSSIBLY LOOK LIKE THE STAY PUFT MARSHMELLOW MAN ON SAME REGIMIN AS GARY S,,,,

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2013, 01:09:14 PM »
YEAH WBF STRYDOM SHOW'S UP ALMOST EXACTLY THE SAME AS 91 ,,DR MAURO MUST HAVE SIPPED THAT URINE SAMPLE,,MIKE QUINN THO PASSED EASILY CAUSE NO ONE WOULD BELIEVE MIGHTY MIGHT QUINN COULD POSSIBLY LOOK LIKE THE STAY PUFT MARSHMELLOW MAN ON SAME REGIMIN AS GARY S,,,,

Actually, Strydom looked about 15 lbs lighter than he did in 91. As for Mike Quinn, he blamed Dipasquale's Anabolic Diet, which was supposed to help the bodybuilders transition off drugs, for his horrible condition.

Jim Quinn, Eddie Robinson, David Dearth, and other WBF guys contend that everyone, from Strydom on down, was tested for that show. Mike Christian popped positive, according to an interview he did with Musclemag, and it cost him a month's salary ($25,000).

"The Future" mentioned in another MuscleMag interview that he and Strydom were superhuge (nearly 300 lbs each) prior to the start of the testing (three months, before the show). Therefore, they could afford to give up a bunch of size and still look decent at that show. Quinn also stated that, since he trains so heavy, his size didn't just completely vanish, as with those who train with lighter weights do.

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2013, 01:37:42 PM »
PED

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 02:07:21 PM »
Actually, Strydom looked about 15 lbs lighter than he did in 91. As for Mike Quinn, he blamed Dipasquale's Anabolic Diet, which was supposed to help the bodybuilders transition off drugs, for his horrible condition.

Jim Quinn, Eddie Robinson, David Dearth, and other WBF guys contend that everyone, from Strydom on down, was tested for that show. Mike Christian popped positive, according to an interview he did with Musclemag, and it cost him a month's salary ($25,000).

"The Future" mentioned in another MuscleMag interview that he and Strydom were superhuge (nearly 300 lbs each) prior to the start of the testing (three months, before the show). Therefore, they could afford to give up a bunch of size and still look decent at that show. Quinn also stated that, since he trains so heavy, his size didn't just completely vanish, as with those who train with lighter weights do.
i remember both yrs gary was still as hard and seperated ,if he was 15 lbs lighter not nearly as dramatic as u stated and pretty unoticable.

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2013, 02:31:47 PM »

Wow, your delusion reaches the sky, you are naive beyond belief bro, no offence but you are living in lala land.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2013, 03:27:21 PM »
Wow, your delusion reaches the sky, you are naive beyond belief bro, no offence but you are living in lala land.

Hardly! I hate California.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2013, 03:30:25 PM »
i remember both yrs gary was still as hard and seperated ,if he was 15 lbs lighter not nearly as dramatic as u stated and pretty unoticable.

I beg to differ. I have both championships on tape. Strydom was somewhat smaller in '92 than he was in '91. Just about everyone was, except for Aaron Baker.

My guess is people think he wasn't tested, because he didn't look like a crackhead, ala Mike Christian or Troy Zuccolotto, compared to their '91 form.

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2013, 05:11:26 PM »

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »
haha, i remember them interviewing lee haney and saying ' lee, you looked awesome, and your test was the cleanest of all!'  ??? ???

that's like bragging that your daughter is the least pregnant in her grade ten class.

lolz