Author Topic: is getting a pump really related to stimulating hypertrophy?  (Read 41003 times)

trapz101

• Getbig IV
  • team 'THE CORN'
Re: is getting a pump really related to stimulating hypertrophy?
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2013, 12:52:04 AM »
What about jason huh saying that it's not about half reps,quarter reps etc,its all about constant tension..and it seems to work with him....
T

OTHstrong

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Jasher
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2013, 01:35:25 AM »
Nope, one does not follow the other, if it did then you could keep growing bigger indefinitely.

Your muscles have no idea what weight you are lifting, they just know how intensely they are working.
What the fuck is wrong with you people, fuck sakes, always trying to be technical, woooosh

Does adding 100lb to your squats automatically mean your leg muscles got bigger? No of course not but take 100 people who have added 100lbs to their squat and I guarantee 90 of them will have bigger legs, stop with this technical non sense

deviant

• Getbig IV
  • C.U.N.T
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2013, 02:09:12 AM »

Truly great interview, lots of common sense in there.
C.U.N.T

prizm

• Getbig III
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2013, 02:57:31 AM »
What about jason huh saying that it's not about half reps,quarter reps etc,its all about constant tension..and it seems to work with him....

jason is also strong as fuck

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2013, 04:10:52 AM »
GREAT thread, should be required reading for every starting bber.

and more proof anabolichalo is a top 10 poster at getbig!

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2013, 08:47:02 AM »
GREAT thread, should be required reading for every starting bber.

and more proof anabolichalo is a top 10 poster at getbig!
i couldnt have done it without you internet friends

bodybuilding is one of the most mysterious activities in the world like vic richard said

nothing is what it seems

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »
early ronnie coleman talked about the pumpn and the contraction a lot and a lot of reps

only after he reached his final form he went crazy on the weights?

but then again he powerlifted for a while at the beginning

who really knows

in this video he agrees with the thread i think

03:55 quote of the century

must have been good dayz for ronnie, working out with his girlfriend bodybuilder vicky gates

26:35 on bicep training

"I'm not that concerned about going real heavy here, i'm doing 35 pounds....trying to get peak contraction...good sole controlled movements....not doing a lot of heavy weight for like 5 reps with bad form....."

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #82 on: March 29, 2013, 04:33:33 AM »
Truly great interview, lots of common sense in there.
Indeed - Though the MD cycle he referred to telling Ron Harris about is utter bullshit as seen below  :D

Dorian Yates- Steroids Setting the Record Straight article about steroid use

Well I am not sure if any of you guys were able to read the new Muscular Development magazine for Oct. 2011 yet but there was a great article in there that I wanted to post a thread about. Dorian Yates writes a section in the magazine called Blood & Guts and this month the article was called Steroids- Setting the Record Straight . In this article Dorian talks openly about what he thinks of steroids and really just made me an even bigger fan of him. The guy is Smart and knows more than most would think. The article was very long so I will just put in some of the highlights for you guys. I guess he wrote this because he was tired of guys making up supposed cycles of what he used in his career and wanted to set it straight.
    First Steroid Cycle
    Dorian said that his first cycle was used as a tool to maintain muscle mass while dieting. This is what he used

wks 1-4 Daily 20mg of Dianabol
    wks 5-8 Daily 15lmgs of Anavar and
    Weekly 100mgs of Primobolan
    He started at 8 wks out weighing 205. He competed at 210-212lbs. Since he lost BF% it is safe to say that he added a decent amount of Muscle mass.

Dorian also touched on these subjects
    Steroids do not create Champions
    What are Steroids
    Who uses Steroids
    How Dangerous are Steroids, and Can they be used Safely ( here he made the comment that nobody has ever died from swallowing a whole bottle of Dianabol but I guarantee you that if you swallow an entire bottle of Aspirin, you wont live to see tomorrow.)

The Mr. Olympia Cycle
    Weekly
    Test prop 300mgs
    Parabolan 152mgs
    Primobolan 500mgs
    Daily
    Anavar 50mgs
    Growth Hormone 8iu

Off Season Stack (was usually 3 8wk cycles)
    Weekly
    Testosterone 750mgs
    Deca-Durabolin 500mgs
    Daily
    Dianabol 50mgs

From the age of 21-35 Dorian didn't have more than 10 glasses of wine or alcohol. Only was up after 11:30 a few times and never was more than 5-10 minutes late for a meal. There is much more to being a champion than how much steroids or other drugs you use. Some will never get there no matter how many AAS they use.

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: March 29, 2013, 04:43:29 AM »
What the fuck is wrong with you people, fuck sakes, always trying to be technical, woooosh

Does adding 100lb to your squats automatically mean your leg muscles got bigger? No of course not but take 100 people who have added 100lbs to their squat and I guarantee 90 of them will have bigger legs, stop with this technical non sense

i couldnt agree more
take a begginner who squats 135x15 and take his squat over the years to 400 x 15 - 20 in good form and nine times out often his legs will be much much bigger.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #84 on: March 29, 2013, 08:29:08 AM »
Here is stick arms doing a power clean with 315 for 6.  I can`t do that.  Galeniko can`t do that.  Everyone on this thread who posted can`t do that, but there are plenty of people on this thread with better arms and upper body then stick man.

He has incredible power. A lot of big armed guys with a big bench press that punch like little girls. They don't have the power of a welter weight with a 14 " arm boxer. Bodybuilding fans just have a distorted view point concerning looking at a physique. You would think a guy with big steroid thighs could dunk a basketball but many couldn't get any air because of lack of power. Doing fast lifts like power cleans and snatches will develop that explosiveness.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2013, 08:51:10 AM »
He has incredible power. A lot of big armed guys with a big bench press that punch like little girls. They don't have the power of a welter weight with a 14 " arm boxer. Bodybuilding fans just have a distorted view point concerning looking at a physique. You would think a guy with big steroid thighs could dunk a basketball but many couldn't get any air because of lack of power. Doing fast lifts like power cleans and snatches will develop that explosiveness.
and?........................ ..

we are talking about hypertrophy here

not sports

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2013, 08:52:28 AM »
props to anabolicho for starting a good thread  8)
T

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2013, 09:13:06 AM »
I have thought a lot about this topic. If getting stronger was the magic bullet the most productive method of getting bigger muscles would be doing sets of one rep where you could use the highest weight.

The two basic acceptable ways to train is volume and hit. The problem with hit is how strong can you get? If getting stronger in all your exercises is the main priority how do you get an extra rep or add five pounds after training 5-10 years? How about the burn out factor of pounding your head against the wall always trying to get another rep for your hit workout journal?

It's been my empirical knowledge that lifting with low sets to failure will add strength and  some size building a denser muscle. The majority of guys seem to grow better using volume or what I call muscular endurance training.

A hit guy might train like this for chest. Flat bench 2 of 6 reps;incline bar press 2 of 6 reps and flat flies 2 of 10 reps. All to failure. A volume guy might do a volume chest workout like this. Flat bench 4 of 10 reps; incline bar press 4 of 10 reps; and flat flies 4 of 10 reps. His first 3 sets are hard but not to failure only the last set could be.

Look at male gymnasts. They are doing chins, dips and other gymnastic exercises throughout their long workout. They are in general not training to failure but through hard volume they create a ripped big physique. I know the specificity of their chosen athletic endeavor means they are not large guys but never the less they are built.

I think both methods should be used with an emphasis on getting stronger with low sets for the younger age lifter. As one gets experienced a goal of getting more muscular endurance is a goal that will carry you far.

Some say look at sprinters compared to distance runners. It does make the point of intensity but sprinters train with volume doing 10 x 10 100 meters and 8 x 200 meters on other days as an example of how some sprinters train. If they truly wanted the highest intensity they would run one all out 60 meter dash and go home and rest.

I read a Danny Padilla interview when he talks about his time doing hit when Arthur Jones was the big thing. Padilla said he lifted heavy weights for one work set per exercise busting his ass. He said he didn't get the gains he had hoped for. He also said it was scary to go into the gym the next time trying to better the previous workout where he pushed to the max. When he went to his 5 sets of 12 reps per exercise he got the size he was trying to get.

A volume guy doing say 5 sets of 12 might do sets like this. First set feels like he can rep to close to 20 but stops stops at 12. Second to fourth is it get progressively harder. Set 5 he fails at 9 reps.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2013, 09:17:56 AM »
why not 5 sets of 8-12 to failure?

each set to failure

so taking less weight every set or every few sets

?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »
A reverse pyramid can work. I usually see that with some hit guys and not volume. I define HIT as 1 to 3 work sets per exercise. I have seen and heard of guys using the heaviest weight for the first set progressively lowering the weight for set 2 and 3.  I never heard of a volume guy going to failure for 5 sets on a reverse pyramid lowering the weight. Sounds insane tough.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »
why not 5 sets of 8-12 to failure?

each set to failure

so taking less weight every set or every few sets

?

"bodybuilding is not an endurance contest!" -Mike Mentzer

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2013, 02:34:26 PM »
a salesman's story cant be trusted even tho it sounds nice to the ear

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2013, 03:05:14 PM »

I don't think training with volume is pure endurance like a long distance runner or biker. It's still lifting weights. The muscles of a bodybuilder is the result of muscular endurance training. If it wasn't Olympic lifters and power lifters would have the biggest thighs from their insane intensity.

Speaking of big thighs have you seen the thighs of bike sprint competitors? Huge from racing around a track doing a lot of reps spinning the crank.

Remember a lot of volume trainers beat Mike in a lot of contests. He didn't come in second in the 1980 Olympia he came in 5th. Even Viator at his best was training with volume for the London Olympia. Mentzer still has the most influence on my training over my life but I cannot discount other forms of training.

I don't want to get into a volume vs HIT debate. The facts stand that the over whelming amount of champs trained with volume and not hit. One of the ways Jones used to promote the sales of his Nautilus machine was to find a champion bodybuilder who used volume then promote them as the result of one set of 12 Nautilus machines.

I trained with high intensity for decades. I have many of the issues that Arthur Jones wrote in Ironman magazine back in the early 70's I believe when few if any bodybuilders knew who he was. He use to have an animal program that was semi popular on tv. I was really into what Jones and Mentzer had to say. In the early 80's when everyone was doing volume in the gym I was copying Mentzer's workouts. Complete with pre exhaust. I still have what I think is the most complete collection of everything Mentzer wrote in the magazines.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2013, 03:11:51 PM »
mentzer is the biggest bullshitter of all times.

if one takes enough gear he will actualy grow even from pushups.

not optimal,but he will
i watched his seminar on youtube about hit

it was so powerfully persuasive i almost fell for it hard

then i looked on youtube for people doing hit and found all these people look like shit. and i said fuck it, hell no

pretty sure it was this EXACT VIDEO that made me "snap out of it"  :D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »
Mentzer trained with a lot more sets than what he talked about after he was retired. I often wondered why he was promoting such short infrequent workouts that he never used during his prime. Maybe it's why so many personal trainers are into short HIT workouts. You can train a client in 20 minutes and move on to the next.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2013, 03:17:20 PM »
HIT training is garbage.  Do that as a Natural and you will get ZERO progress.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2013, 03:18:17 PM »
i think there's a bunch of reasons

*his story sounds so different than all the normal stories, differentiating him from the competition

*his story is attractive to the ear, short infrequent workouts, save a lot of time and effort, still get big and strong

*nautilus workout equipment scamming somehow related

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2013, 03:24:32 PM »
you can think of any possible workout "must", then read about a big bodybuilder who never, ever does it.  you can take absolutely any list of "essential" workout or diet "donts", and then find a youtube video of someone huge and lean who does every one of them.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2013, 03:28:37 PM »
I remember going to a real pure HIT gym. It was full of Nautilus and Med X machines. They wanted a representative of my job to go through a workout and I volunteered. If my memory serves me right he had me do 6 exercises. All one set to failure with an insane amount of assisted forced reps. He put a heart rate monitor on me. We started with leg presses. I failed at 12 reps I believe. The owner then assisted with 5 mores reps yelling slow negative. Through all the reps he was telling me to go slow for the positive and negative of the rep. I could barely walk. He then said immediately get on the exercise bike and sprint for 2 minutes. The resistance was high. I thought I was going to puke. He said times up and moved me to what I think was the nautilus pullover. Again to failure and then many assisted reps until the negative got sloppy. Then immediately back on the bike for a 2 minute sprint. The session went on and at the end I literally had to lie on the floor trying to not die. He said when you train like this the sessions are short and you need days off to recover. I really don't know how anyone could train like that for couple of weeks and not quit. He told me at the end you are in pretty good shape as I was flat on the floor. I never went back for this version of HIT.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2013, 03:31:40 PM »
I remember going to a real pure HIT gym. It was full of Nautilus and Med X machines. They wanted a representative of my job to go through a workout and I volunteered. If my memory serves me right he had me do 6 exercises. All one set to failure with an insane amount of assisted forced reps. He put a heart rate monitor on me. We started with leg presses. I failed at 12 reps I believe. The owner then assisted with 5 mores reps yelling slow negative. Through all the reps he was telling me to go slow for the positive and negative of the rep. I could barely walk. He then said immediately get on the exercise bike and sprint for 2 minutes. The resistance was high. I thought I was going to puke. He said times up and moved me to what I think was the nautilus pullover. Again to failure and then many assisted reps until the negative got sloppy. Then immediately back on the bike for a 2 minute sprint. The session went on and at the end I literally had to lie on the floor trying to not die. He said when you train like this the sessions are short and you need days off to recover. I really don't know how anyone could train like that for couple of weeks and not quit. He told me at the end you are in pretty good shape as I was flat on the floor. I never went back for this version of HIT.
wtf  ;D