Author Topic: speaking of reps and rep range....  (Read 11311 times)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
Re: speaking of reps and rep range....
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 11:15:19 AM »
yeah but i think you forgot that i come from a HIT backround

and yes, i've tried all methods ie. volume, multiple exercises per bodypart, etc and honest to God those volume methods never did shit for me, and in fact they made me get even smaller and weaker :'(

like Mentzer said... "bodybuilding IS NOT and endurance contest" 8)

yea i understand volume worked for you, but it DOES NOT work for me

i need to train til failure to allow myself to practice PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD, and if i don't push til failure then i'm not able to increase my training loads :(

the thing that i'm trying to figure out now is a few things...

1. can 15-20 reps til failure give as good or even better results than 6-10 reps til failure?

2. are 2 exercises per bodypart better than 1 exercise per bodypart?
HEY GOOD POINTS,,,AND I HAVE CHANGED OVER PAST FEW YRS FROM OLD GUARD TRAINING AS WELL AND NOTICED SAME RESULTS OR IMPROVEMENT ON THINGS AS WELL...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 11:23:22 AM »
well i always say have an open mind.. some people think training revolves around a power rack. Mix and Match is my motto...  ;)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 12:36:38 PM »
I suggest you start a training log dj that way we could all come harass you...

ummmm I mean provide input.  ;D

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
I suggest you start a training log dj that way we could all come harass you...

ummmm I mean provide input.  ;D

well ma man, i wasn't sure if i should put this thread here on in the training log, so if the mods here think that it would be better to have it on the training log then they can feel free to move it there no problem

so do you agree to be one of the fellas who will judge my progress?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 01:12:20 PM »
well ma man, i wasn't sure if i should put this thread here on in the training log, so if the mods here think that it would be better to have it on the training log then they can feel free to move it there no problem

I have to be honest i do not really agree with your AJ and Mentzer training philosophy but you do your own thing. This is the way it should be.

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 01:22:09 PM »

A training log would do you good.

And yeah I'd like to see your progress in a few weeks!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 01:31:04 PM »
A training log would do you good.

And yeah I'd like to see your progress in a few weeks!
On the Y board there is a thread to post your workouts pretty cool, that way no pencil and paper.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 04:59:08 PM »
never did a training log,,did a diet log for show i did every gram weighed,counted,measured,,,fanatical,,,training i know what works and dosen't ,so forth,,,bbing/lifting has a lot of feel to go on alway's going for the 'pump',reps/speed /range of motion all determining factors ,,,,what makes working out all worth it..

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 05:06:48 PM »
never did a training log,,did a diet log for show i did every gram weighed,counted,measured,,,fanatical,,,training i know what works and dosen't ,so forth,,,bbing/lifting has a lot of feel to go on alway's going for the 'pump',reps/speed /range of motion all determining factors ,,,,what makes working out all worth it..
THIS... i agree.. you know i could never "follow" any training programmes or "ideas" from "experts". I always went from my own mental and physical beliefs- this is what makes you special and your training unique, GREAT POST STEVE !!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
THIS... i agree.. you know i could never "follow" any training programmes or "ideas" from "experts". I always went from my own mental and physical beliefs- this is what makes you special and your training unique, GREAT POST STEVE !!
there's no set way,,,u follow hit for a while it works but then you hit plateu then what try voliume it works then u hit plateu,,u run out of ideas and get frustrated with lifting unless your programmed to follow something,,just train and be prepared to do it for the long haul,cause there's more dips than straight road,,injuries,diet changes,body changes,lack of motivation,,,,plan is to overcome these things,prepare,and continue around normal life's chaos kid's,wife.work,,lifting saves u from the mundane ...

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
there's no set way,,,u follow hit for a while it works but then you hit plateu then what try voliume it works then u hit plateu,,u run out of ideas and get frustrated with lifting unless your programmed to follow something,,just train and be prepared to do it for the long haul,cause there's more dips than straight road,,injuries,diet changes,body changes,lack of motivation,,,,plan is to overcome these things,prepare,and continue around normal life's chaos kid's,wife.work,,lifting saves u from the mundane ...
exactly

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2013, 05:26:46 PM »
exactly
it really is awesome feeling,,like ur better than the norm...

Henda

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2013, 01:40:29 AM »
I like you did spent years training with one set to  failure hit style and got reasonable results but got far better results switching to 3 or so sets withthe same weight.
Nowadays to cover both ways i will do 3 sets of 5 with the same weight and a lighter set of 12 to 20 staying just shy of failure and adding a rep each time till hit 20 then add weight and drop to 12 and start over.

I spent years stubbornly locked into the hit mentality and ignored all others advice but later found the key is to experiment and find out what works best for yourself even if it flies in the face of conventianal training wisdom.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2013, 02:06:53 AM »
find out what works best for yourself even if it flies in the face of conventianal training wisdom.

ex-fucking-actly!

like i used to say before... "i don't follow, I LEAD" 8)

On the Y board there is a thread to post your workouts pretty cool, that way no pencil and paper.

fuck the y board, some of them dudes insulted me too much and i got too much self-respect to post over there, and that's basically why i stopped posting pics here as well, SELF-RESPECT

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2013, 02:46:49 AM »
my upper lats and tris are a bit sore and pumped today, and it's definitely from the bent-arm pullovers, but the thing is i need pecs more than i need lats and tris, so not sure what to do...

the funny thing is, is that when i did the pullovers yesterday i "felt" them more in my upper pecs and tris ???

my girl was with me last night and i was telling her about this new project/focus of mine, and she said "you don't need a bigger back as it's already big enough, you need more arms to match your torso" ;D ;D ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 12:48:30 PM »
my upper lats and tris are a bit sore and pumped today, and it's definitely from the bent-arm pullovers, but the thing is i need pecs more than i need lats and tris, so not sure what to do...

the funny thing is, is that when i did the pullovers yesterday i "felt" them more in my upper pecs and tris ???

my girl was with me last night and i was telling her about this new project/focus of mine, and she said "you don't need a bigger back as it's already big enough, you need more arms to match your torso" ;D ;D ;D
Well pullovers work back and chest, if you are feeling them in the triceps very much you have to check form maybe back in weight a bit.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
did the pullovers today and i got 20 reps til failure with 26 kg and then i did a bonus set with max wt ie. 36 kg and i got 6 reps til failure

my torso and triceps are bigger already :o

B seems to hate my guts now, but nj and mr. nobody are still alright so i'll send you dudes some update pics a either a week from tomorrow or 2 weeks from tomorrow :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 04:09:39 PM »
did the pullovers today and i got 20 reps til failure with 26 kg and then i did a bonus set with max wt ie. 36 kg and i got 6 reps til failure

my torso and triceps are bigger already :o

B seems to hate my guts now, but nj and mr. nobody are still alright so i'll send you dudes some update pics a either a week from tomorrow or 2 weeks from tomorrow :)
i will quote here cause i was a little ticked at he sev thread,,,b does not hate u,nor do i ..i just didn't want my evaluation posted on that thread and drag my name into that thread,,,sev has own agenda and way he runs his threads,how he stirs the pot,,,u have ur way but backed into a wall well u see that thread ,,stay here and post ur positive results,,i kept things between us here and u frigging blew it up on a sev a fuking sev thread no less,,his thread gets a ton of action good and bad,,,i just did not want to go there and i didn't ,,,i'm over it dj ur ok ,,,,steve njflex

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2013, 04:25:12 PM »
i will quote here cause i was a little ticked at he sev thread,,,b does not hate u,nor do i ..i just didn't want my evaluation posted on that thread and drag my name into that thread,,,sev has own agenda and way he runs his threads,how he stirs the pot,,,u have ur way but backed into a wall well u see that thread ,,stay here and post ur positive results,,i kept things between us here and u frigging blew it up on a sev a fuking sev thread no less,,his thread gets a ton of action good and bad,,,i just did not want to go there and i didn't ,,,i'm over it dj ur ok ,,,,steve njflex

allright dude and sorry about that, but you know that i sometimes let my emotions get the best of me

and you're right man, so i'll just keep that stuff over here and just keep on going on and continue making good and decent progress :)

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2013, 07:04:41 PM »
allright dude and sorry about that, but you know that i sometimes let my emotions get the best of me

and you're right man, so i'll just keep that stuff over here and just keep on going on and continue making good and decent progress :)
8),,,,thats all i wanted ,,,true apology,,thank you,,,....brag here all u want ....

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2013, 03:00:09 AM »
8),,,,thats all i wanted ,,,true apology,,thank you,,,....brag here all u want ....

yep, i do brag, but as you saw with my ripped pics I BACK UP AND DO WHAT I SAY I WILL DO ;)

next pics you will see a still ripped dj, but with added pounds of LEAN MUSCLE TISSUE 8)

Jeannay

• Getbig I
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2013, 04:40:06 AM »
Well pullovers work back and chest, if you are feeling them in the triceps very much you have to check form maybe back in weight a bit.

The long head of the triceps assists the lats during shoulder extension and adduction. Some people, like myself feel some (especially pullovers and pushdowns) lat exercises in their triceps.  Try to keep the muscle under tension by not going forward too much, i found this helped

ALSO HIGH REps do work!! (See tom platz for legs and thierry pastel for back f.e.)
I read that it does also increase glycogen storage (dont know of the sources anymore , so may be wrong but it gives sense since high reps deplete more glycogen which in turn stimulate the body to store more)

Some exercises are also much better suited for high reps than low reps f.e. flyes

best of luck with your experiment!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2013, 05:26:40 AM »
Ok then are marathon runners bigger than sprinters? We'll wait for the pics I have the previous ones so I can judge progress again.

Sprinters obviously have more muscle but do they do low reps? A 200 meter sprinter might do this on a training day 1x400, 1 x 330, 4 x 100, 1 x 330 and finish with a 1 x400. Next day they might do 6 x 330. How many reps of strides did they do? It's high reps at a high intensity.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2013, 03:59:08 PM »
an update on the pullovers

i've increased my training load on them by 15 pounds but it seems that they developed my lats and tris quite a bit more than they did my pecs :-\

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 09:21:49 AM »
well i always say have an open mind.. some people think training revolves around a power rack. Mix and Match is my motto...  ;)
damn good post!