Author Topic: Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations  (Read 171458 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: So much for Obama calling this "hype"....uh oh!!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 03:23:23 PM »
The US intelligence services have been monitoring telecommunications for 80 years...not saying it is right...but is nothing new.  That is how they got the Rosenbergs...also Klaus Fuchs (what a name)  They wanted to prosecute many more in that case, but didn't want to reveal the investigative sources.

February 3, 2009 PBS....."Spy Factory" Nova Episode

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/military/spy-factory.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
I have some issues with this dude....he went from a GED..to SOF training. The number of folks who are allowed to enlist into SOF directly from a recruiter are limited. That program was in its infancy then and they really only took ex cops etc. Then he went from a security guard to IT guy...to secret agent......hmmm.
L

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 07:35:23 PM »
He shouldn't have come out.

Obama's gonna drone attack this mofo...   :P

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-why

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations

Snowden will go down in history as one of America's most consequential whistleblowers, alongside Daniel Ellsberg and Bradley Manning. He is responsible for handing over material from one of the world's most secretive organisations – the NSA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/09/nsa-whistleblower-edward-snowden-why

Manning, lol.  GMAFB.

When you provide the names, emails, ranks, and positions of some 70000 or so of our service members, you're a fucking traitor.

Manning has already admitted it.  He should shot and shit on.

Snowden is no piece of shit Manning.  Not even close.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:28:36 PM »
I have some issues with this dude....he went from a GED..to SOF training. The number of folks who are allowed to enlist into SOF directly from a recruiter are limited. That program was in its infancy then and they really only took ex cops etc. Then he went from a security guard to IT guy...to secret agent......hmmm.
???
As in, you doubt the legitimacy of his claims? I think they pretty much checked out his background, I would fucking hope anyway. Could you imagine the shitstorm if it turned out they reported all this shit, and the dude was full of shit?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:48:05 PM »
I have some issues with this dude....he went from a GED..to SOF training. The number of folks who are allowed to enlist into SOF directly from a recruiter are limited. That program was in its infancy the and they really only took ex cops etc. Then he went from a security guard to IT guy...to secret agent......hmmm.

I think its pretty safe to say that his backgroind check was more thorough than Obamas.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 02:57:17 AM »
Dem. Senator disputes Obama’s claim that Congress was briefed
The Hill ^ | 06/07/13 | Jonathan Easley
Posted on June 7, 2013 8:40:01 PM EDT by neverdem

Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) on Friday disputed a claim President Obama made at a press conference only moments earlier, when the president said that every member of Congress had been briefed on the National Security Agency’s (NSA) domestic phone surveillance program.

Merkley said only select members of the House and Senate Intelligence Committees had been briefed on the program, and that he was only aware of it because he obtained “special permission” to review the pertinent documents after hearing about it second-hand.

“I knew about the program because I specifically sought it out,” Merkley said on MSNBC. “It’s not something that’s briefed outside the Intelligence Committee. I had to get special permission to find out about the program. It raised concerns for me. … When I saw what was being done, I felt it was so out of sync with the plain language of the law and that it merited full public examination, and that’s why I called for the declassification.”

At a press conference on Friday, Obama said that every member of Congress had been briefed on the phone monitoring program. The president argued that the policy, which was implemented in 2007, struck the “right balance” between privacy and national security, and that it had been helpful in thwarting terrorist attacks.

Obama also noted that federal judges had to sign off on the data gathering requests, which did not encompass the content of phone calls, but only the phone numbers.

But Merkley on Friday blasted the administration’s handling of the program, saying it had ignored requests from Congress to explain the NSA’s domestic surveillance actions, and that it was implementing the program in a way that did not follow the “standard of the law.”

Merkley argued that “plain language of the law” said that the NSA should only be allowed to collect phone data that related to an open investigation, but that the agency was using a “broad vacuum” to sweep up data from ordinary Americans.

“The administration hasn’t listened at all,” Merkley said. “We’ve asked for the rulings of the FISA court – the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act court – about how it interprets the laws Congress passes to be declassified so we can have a conversation with the American people about that.”

“For example, the question is — how is scooping up your cellphone data, which tracks where you are, my cellphone data, related to an investigation?” he asked. “That’s the plain language of the law — related to an investigation. Well, certainly anyone would hear that and think that’s a certain hurdle that has to be met. That there’s a crime or a potential crime or a potential national security threat that justifies scooping up your information and my information. Clearly the administration has not followed what an ordinary person would consider to be the standard of the law here, and has not been willing to release the opinion of the FISA court in how they’re interpreting that language, despite repeated requests from Congress to do so.”

Revelations that the NSA seized millions of Americans’ phone records has pit the White House against civil liberties activists on the political left.

Many lawmakers knew of the practice, which had been going on privately since 2007, and defended it as a critical tool in the war on terror. But Merkley and his Democratic colleague from Oregon, Sen. Ron Wyden, have joined with some on the right, including Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), in denouncing the measures as riding “roughshod over liberty.”

The scope of the controversy broadened on Friday after the administration acknowledged a top-secret NSA program that collects information on Internet users, called PRISM, that taps directly into the servers of nine U.S. Internet companies.

The White House insisted PRISM was only aimed at foreign terrorism suspects.

“By the way,” Merkley continued. “When I sought information [on the phone surveillance program], the only information I got was that, yes there is a program sweeping up broad amounts of data through the records act. This second thing, which we just learned about, called PRISM, I had no idea about.”

“I don’t know how many people knew about it in Congress, but I suspect a very small number on the Intelligence Committee, so when the president says all members of Congress were briefed … well, I think a very small number of Senators in Congress had full details on these programs,” Merkley said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 06:36:49 AM »

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Manning and this guy are heroes of humanity exposing the fradulent, murderous, imperial war machine that America is. America is just another nazi state about to fail.

whork

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Manning and this guy are heroes of humanity exposing the fradulent, murderous, imperial war machine that America is. America is just another nazi state about to fail.

Your an idiot Achmed.

I wish you were born in Nazi Germany sometimes, then you would'nt make such stupid posts.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I'm thinking there is a good chance this guy will be black bagged in Hong Kong and grilled in China for more information.  Stupid fucking choice going to Hong Kong.

An article just posted says he's already disappeared.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/10/us-usa-security-idUSBRE95910O20130610

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
I'm thinking there is a good chance this guy will be black bagged in Hong Kong and grilled in China for more information.  Stupid fucking choice going to Hong Kong.

An article just posted says he's already disappeared.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/06/10/us-usa-security-idUSBRE95910O20130610
Yeah, dude is fucked. Im pretty sure he's going to wind up in a dark room in the corner of some CIA building, and will probably never see the light of day again.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Yeah, dude is fucked. Im pretty sure he's going to wind up in a dark room in the corner of some CIA building, and will probably never see the light of day again.

and Obama's failed and miserable presidency is ground to a halt - fair trade off

F Obama

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
That's not what I was thinking. The Chinese are not our buddies and won't be handing him over easy.  I think the Chinese gov will want this guy and he's in their territory now.  Snowden, in his video, talked about how he had the names of assets all over and alluded to having a lot more critical information on NSA operations that he didn't release and he clearly has a lot of info on NSA computer network info.  Yea, the Chinese government are probably going to be on this guy like white on rice.  He's probably already in China now being grilled.  And from his video, he has the notion China means us no harm, oh brother, he'll spill it all...

Even though I disagree with the NSA snooping on everyone, this is not good and does put our country at risk.  All over one person wanting to avoid the ramifications of blowing the whistle.  Total dumbshit going to Hong Kong imo...  He should have just stayed here.  I like what he did because he only revealed what is wrong and not shit that endangers the country...  but you gotta own that kind of decision and running to the Chinese to do it, yea, not fucking cool.

Bad Boy Dazza

• Getbig IV
Guy is a fucking hero.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Ellsberg: Snowden’s NSA leak more important than my Pentagon Papers
Yahoo ^ 

Posted on Monday, June 10, 2013 11:05:42 PM by chessplayer

Daniel Ellsberg, whose leak of the so-called Pentagon Papers to The New York Times in 1971 exposed the secret history of the war in Vietnam, thinks Edward Snowden's leak of the National Security Agency's surveillance programs was more important than his.

"In my estimation, there has not been in American history a more important leak than Edward Snowden's release of NSA material, and that definitely includes the Pentagon Papers 40 years ago," Ellsberg wrote in an op-ed published by the Guardian on Monday. "Snowden's whistleblowing gives us the possibility to roll back a key part of what has amounted to an 'executive coup' against the U.S. constitution."

Ellsberg added on CNN Sunday night that “it can’t be overestimated to this democracy. It gives us a chance, I think, from drawing back from the total surveillance state that we could say we’re in process of becoming, I’m afraid we have become.

Government claims it has a court warrant under Fisa – but that unconstitutionally sweeping warrant is from a secret court, shielded from effective oversight, almost totally deferential to executive requests. As Russell Tice, a former National Security Agency analyst, put it: "It is a kangaroo court with a rubber stamp."

(Excerpt) Read more at news.yahoo.com ...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
NSA surveillance played little role in foiling terror plots, experts say
The Guardian via Drudge ^  | June 12, 2013 | Nicholas Watt Ed Pilkington

Posted on Wednesday, June 12, 2013 1:10:38 PM by Hojczyk

Rogers told ABC's This Week that the NSA's bulk monitoring of phone calls and internet contacts was central to intercepting the plotters. "I can tell you, in the Zazi case in New York, it's exactly the programme that was used," he said.

A similar point was made in anonymous briefings by administration officials to the New York Times and Reuters.

But court documents lodged in the US and UK, as well as interviews with involved parties, suggest that data-mining through Prism and other NSA programmes played a relatively minor role in the interception of the two plots. Conventional surveillance techniques, in both cases including old-fashioned tip-offs from intelligence services in Britain, appear to have initiated the investigations.

In the case of Zazi, an Afghan American who planned to attack the New York subway, the breakthrough appears to have come from Operation Pathway, a British investigation into a suspected terrorism cell in the north-west of England in 2009. That investigation discovered that one of the members of the cell had been in contact with an al-Qaida associate in Pakistan via the email address sana_pakhtana@yahoo.com.

British newspaper reports at the time of Zazi's arrest said that UK intelligence passed on the email address to the US. The same email address, as Buzzfeed has pointed out, was cited in Zazi's 2011 trial as a crucial piece of evidence. Zazi, the court heard, wrote to sana_pakhtana@yahoo.com asking in coded language for the precise quantities to use to make up a bomb.

The Headley case is a peculiar choice for the administration to highlight as an example of the virtues of data-mining. The fact that the Mumbai attacks occurred, with such devastating effect, in itself suggests that the NSA's secret programmes were limited in their value as he was captured only after the event.

(Excerpt) Read more at guardian.co.uk ...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
can someone explain why we are giving top secret security clearance to high school drop outs?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Holy shit...straw and I are about to agree. There is something funny about this guy. I know some of the milblogs have FOIA'ed his records to see if he enlisted for an 18 series MOS (SOF - Green Beret). They don't take GED's. They don't like to take direct SOF packages unless the guy has a background that should ensure they'll make it through SFAS and the Q course. Most SOF guys have been in 3-5 years. He went from NSA security guard to IT guy..where did he get his IT training?
L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
That claim is “absolutely outrageous,” former NSA and CIA director Michael Hayden tells The Daily Beast. Snowden “was not a collector,” and no low-ranking contractor like him would have the authority to access anyone’s phone calls or read anybody’s emails.

Robert Deitz, a former top lawyer at the NSA and CIA, agrees that Snowden’s boast is a “complete and utter” falsehood. “First of all it’s illegal,” he tells the Los Angeles Times. “There is enormous oversight. They have keystroke auditing. There are, from time to time, cases in which some analyst is [angry] at his ex-wife and looks at the wrong thing and he is caught and fired.”

L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Remember when Israel warned some dude to stay inside, then dropped a bomb on him a few months ago?  Somebody better tell Snowden to stay inside.  lol

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Remember when Israel warned some dude to stay inside, then dropped a bomb on him a few months ago?  Somebody better tell Snowden to stay inside.  lol

We don't really know anything about this guy, and you're joking about killing him... lol