Author Topic: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?  (Read 108556 times)

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
Re: since my delts are really under developed, what am i doing wrong?
« Reply #550 on: September 22, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
Heavy seated DB shoulder presses.

Then focus on lateral and rear delt work... that's what'll round up your shoulders...

Standing single hand lateral raises, go heavy and focus on the tension, perfect form is bs, the function of the lateral delt is raising the arm.

And rear delt work, bent over raises/rows, reverse peck deck. They can be hard to grow for many people, some people will emphasize light weights, I think it should be a combination of both going heavy on some cheat reps and high rep lower/moderate weight. Everyone responds differently however...

Any kind of rowing back work will work rear delts too.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #551 on: September 22, 2013, 07:54:13 PM »
Heavy seated DB shoulder presses.

Then focus on lateral and rear delt work... that's what'll round up your shoulders...

Standing single hand lateral raises, go heavy and focus on the tension, perfect form is bs, the function of the lateral delt is raising the arm.

And rear delt work, bent over raises/rows, reverse peck deck. They can be hard to grow for many people, some people will emphasize light weights, I think it should be a combination of both going heavy on some cheat reps and high rep lower/moderate weight. Everyone responds differently however...

Any kind of rowing back work will work rear delts too.
good points...exactly how i would have put it...

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #552 on: September 22, 2013, 08:01:18 PM »
Oh yeah almost forgot face pulls... and t row bar rowing will also work them too but hence any back work...

Rear delts are the hardest thing for me to grow, taking a lot of effort, while my front delts grow like weed and I barely work them as a result otherwise I concave in lol.. but focusing on laterals is what helped me round up my shoulders and make me wider too...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #553 on: September 22, 2013, 08:04:20 PM »
Oh yeah almost forgot face pulls... and t row bar rowing will also work them too but hence any back work...

Rear delts are the hardest thing for me to grow, taking a lot of effort, while my front delts grow like weed and I barely work them as a result otherwise I concave in lol.. but focusing on laterals is what helped me round up my shoulders and make me wider too...
nice finish is wide upright rows just to chest level or above a bit ,moderate weight higher reps 10-15.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #554 on: September 23, 2013, 02:16:17 PM »
would getbig agree that seated dumbel press is superior to seated barbell press? for delts?

i found out for chestorals dumbel bench press is vastly superior to barbell

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #555 on: September 23, 2013, 02:57:42 PM »
presses hit front delts, stick with wide grip upright rows brother

p.s. my lats are growing like mad and it's making me damn wide 8) 8) 8)

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #556 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:45 PM »
barbell press sucks for shoulder health imo, it's asking for impingement issues especially with the upper cross syndrome most of us already have.

Don't you have any HS machines in bosnia or wherever you claim to live? I like the HS behind the neck press. DBs are good but the HS feels just as good without the need to swing the DBs up or deal with dropping them at the end of a set.

And you can go heavy and still get a decent MMC, unlike with dbs

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #557 on: September 23, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
barbell press sucks for shoulder health imo, it's asking for impingement issues especially with the upper cross syndrome most of us already have.

Don't you have any HS machines in bosnia or wherever you claim to live? I like the HS behind the neck press. DBs are good but the HS feels just as good without the need to swing the DBs up or deal with dropping them at the end of a set.

And you can go heavy and still get a decent MMC, unlike with dbs

Mawse, what's your profession? Spot on regarding the upper cross syndrome. Seems to go hand in hand with practically every weight lifter I see.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #558 on: September 23, 2013, 04:26:36 PM »
Mawse, what's your profession? Spot on regarding the upper cross syndrome. Seems to go hand in hand with practically every weight lifter I see.

I get paid to post on getbig , of course.

when im not doing that I make vidya games

trying to fix my thoracic extension, switched to a standing desk at work and I'm doing mobility work out the asshole but nothing seems to work. Are some of us just doomed to winged scaps and shitty posture?

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #559 on: September 23, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »

trying to fix my thoracic extension, switched to a standing desk at work and I'm doing mobility work out the asshole but nothing seems to work. Are some of us just doomed to winged scaps and shitty posture?

Your knowledge of biomechanics and kinesiology for a videogame creator impresses me bro!

I could write a 10 page thesis on the question you asked. I've gotta study for the rest of the night, but I'll throw a few points up later when I get time.

Posture is a bitch to correct, especially if you're just becoming aware of it later in life. BUT it can be corrected. Much of the issue here has to do with muscle over activation and it's opposing weakness in the associated muscle group, hence the upper or lower cross syndromes. Most lifters have both, which is called stratification syndrome.

Best method is to perform a few sets of PNF/PIR stretching on the over activated muscles and focus on some exercises for the opposing weak muscles. You can find charts of these online so you know what muscles coordinate together.

Next is to work with no or minimal weight while going through the various movement patterns. This takes months....same way that learning how to deadlift properly takes months and years to perfect.

Next is addressing spinal health, (which is the most important in my very biased opinion.) You actual spinal column  is a very complex Kinetic chain that works beautifully if properly aligned, meaning 3 healthy curves and vertebrae that can MOVE properly to displace and bear tremendous loads while protecting the integrity of the discs and nerve supply. If there is impingement on the nerve it will show a significant decrease in transmission of nerve impulse and your muscles will not "fire" as they should. There's a reason every pro sports team has a well paid Chiropractor on staff. If you've ever been under the care of a good D.C., you'll know what I mean about how much it improves your athletic performance.

If a spine is lacking the proper curves, a combo of specific adjustments, tractioning, and electro-stim therapies will restore the proper lordotic and kyphotic curvatures. I feel this is huge for overcoming movement pattern abnormalities. It's akin to trying to fit a square peg into a round hole if your spine doesn't move how it's meant to and you are an athlete.

Keep doing what you're doing regarding the mobility exercised! I like www.mobilitywod.com, great stuff on that site.

Cliffs: NO! You're not doomed to have a crappy posture and poor movement patterns. Your spine is MALLEABLE.
 8)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #560 on: September 23, 2013, 06:30:56 PM »

Also for the winged scapula, you either have some form of neuropathy affecting your Long Thoracic nerve, or more than likely since im guessing this is a bilateral issue, your Serratus Anterior muscle is just weak. My favorite exercise for people to perform when they have bilateral winged scapulae is to get in the pushup position, go all the way down, all the way up, and then "press" through an extra 2-3" while your arms are locked out. This is called a Pushup Plus, and will hammer your serratus'. Ill do sets of 15-20 reps slow and controlled after a chest workout and my serratus are screaming.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #561 on: September 23, 2013, 08:01:04 PM »
OK, upper cross syndrome is new to me....explain.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #562 on: September 23, 2013, 09:09:25 PM »
Very useful stuff chiro, thank you - my art chiro is a big proponent of mobility work so I try to do a lot but my wo time is limited nowadays so I can't do the stuff i used to... So of course I hurt my lower back doing front squats last week as I wasn't mobile enough to go atg but did it anyway :(

I'll do the scap push-ups every day? Or just on push days?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #563 on: September 23, 2013, 10:23:24 PM »
shit you rocket surgeons need to dumb this down for me

so do i do dumbel press or machine press? we only have that awkward rocking "hoist" shoulder press machine

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #564 on: September 23, 2013, 11:23:17 PM »
Very useful stuff chiro, thank you - my art chiro is a big proponent of mobility work so I try to do a lot but my wo time is limited nowadays so I can't do the stuff i used to... So of course I hurt my lower back doing front squats last week as I wasn't mobile enough to go atg but did it anyway :(

I'll do the scap push-ups every day? Or just on push days?

Good stuff! ART is awesome! I get it done twice a week myself.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm flat out lazy when it comes to stretching and "pre-hab". Just in the last few months have I began dedicating a 10-15 minute period post workout to stretch and go through some mobility exercises. Ive noticed that The bigger I physically grow from bodybuilding, the worse any pre existing issues become. So I'm having to force myself to focus on this stuff.

Sucks about your squatting injury man....this is why I'm more disciplined lately because I know these over activated tight muscles are a ticking time bomb, an injury waiting to happen.

It logically makes sense to me to train your serratus with your chest and back workouts. You don't even need to perform the push up portion on back day and could just isolate the last few inches of the movement and do this on your back day. So as long as you're doing it a few times a week I would say that's adequate muscle activation.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2013, 01:45:08 AM »

so do i do dumbel press or machine press? we only have that awkward rocking "hoist" shoulder press machine

I had the same brand in my previous gym. Just avoid this crap with moving seats and stick to free weights.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2013, 04:32:01 AM »

;D ;D ;D

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2013, 06:17:56 AM »

Best looking wheel chair I have seen in years.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2013, 06:33:17 AM »

HAHAHA!!

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2013, 02:39:00 PM »

how many sets would you recommend for it?

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #570 on: September 24, 2013, 02:46:47 PM »
how many sets would you recommend for it?

10 sets on these to failure..

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #571 on: September 24, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
are those song lyrics?

fyi, here's the best lyrics...

"you invent the future that you want to face" 8)

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:50 PM »
are those song lyrics?

fyi, here's the best lyrics...

"you invent the future that you want to face" 8)

Quality song, I should listen more often to these works.

a_ahmed

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »

lol the machine has everything BUT weights, awesome.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
« Reply #574 on: September 25, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »
lol the machine has everything BUT weights, awesome.
you can load it up with a ton of 25kg plates ::)