Author Topic: do barbell curls and presses have an advantage over dumbell curls and presses?  (Read 5161 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
i can see the advantage of dumbels

* symmetrical development

* no need for douchebag spotters

so

what is the advantage of barbells?

and if there are none, why dont we abandon barbell curls and presses?

i even think lying skull crushers are better with dumbels

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. not sure if im qualified to answer this question, i could never figure it out in all my years
A

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. not sure if im qualified to answer this question, i could never figure it out in all my years
an interesting question for sure.............

why do barbell bench when you can dumbel press

why do barbeell curl when you can dumbel curl

why do barbel military press when you can do with dumbel

why do easy bar skull crusher/french curl when you can do hammer grip dumbel skul crusher

?

symmetrical development

?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
You can use more total weight so barbell movements are better for "building mass". When it is time to refine & polish your physique, it is time for dumbbells

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
 Would like more people to answer. Coach? Vince? ES?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
You can use more total weight so barbell movements are better for "building mass". When it is time to refine & polish your physique, it is time for dumbbells
you can use more weight because the kynetics neurological rocket surgerical factors

does that guarantee more muscle mass gains? unlikely.

scottt

• Getbig III
You can cheat more with a bar and people like to think they are stronger. If I could choose only one it would be dumbells.less stress on joints and greater range of motion.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
variety of reasons including
- ease in setting up exercise
- possible to go up in smaller increments (2.5 lb or less)
- variety in stimulation
- in some cases people respond differently (better) to barbell

boom
follow the arrows

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
ronnie coleman says a barbell balances itself out pretty much

dumbells require your own strength to balance them out

this is one of his secrets he said

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
agreed
follow the arrows

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
you can use more weight because the kynetics neurological rocket surgerical factors

does that guarantee more muscle mass gains? unlikely.

No need to stabilize the dumbbells, etc, means you can use 25% more weight or so.

Why shouldn't this lead to more muscles?

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
i tried dumbel presses today

and could only handle 80% total weight of barbell press in same rep range

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
I'd like to believe that dumbells are better because they give you a freer range of motion. And you recruit more surrounding muscles to control. But I don't really know for sure, I used to train with both before.

Heywood

• Getbig IV
barbell > dumbell, for size & strength.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
i tried dumbel presses today

and could only handle 80% total weight of barbell press in same rep range

New baby with health issues home for the first time from the hospital, father at the gym the next day doing presses.   That's not how it works....
Y

yates fan

• Getbig III
the main reason you can go heavier on barbells,is you don't have to stabilize and its easier to stay in a fixed position,and if you are noy using a spotter you gotta expend more energy flippin the dumbells for presses.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
barbell > dumbell, for size & strength.

dumbell >  barbell for strength and 99% mythical golden ratio physique

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
Barbells allow you to use more weight as others have said.  I incorporate barbells occasionally for variety but I prefer dumbbells for my bicep training.  Chest and shoulders too.

Mawse

• Getbig IV
longer dumbbells are a bitch to balance while pressing, and getting a 160+ into position by yourself just sucks.

DBs are better if you have terrible shoulders like mine

keanu

• Getbig IV
Dumbells work your stabilizers more. Far superior. Also better for avoiding injuries, especially when pressing.Since we naturally are dominant on one side of our bodies, there will always be an imbalance with barbells.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
I do neither. No arm training, it's useless. Short men aren't supposed to have huge arms because then they look ludicrious, just take a look at 33386.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
New baby with health issues home for the first time from the hospital, father at the gym the next day doing presses.   That's not how it works....
SAME DAY

i went to work on my chest 2-3 hrs after baby got home

i dont give up on bbing

you blimps judge me and think looking 2 hrs at the tv with baby asleep and mom at home makes you better than a guy who uses this opportunity to hit the gym?

ha funny

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
I do neither. No arm training, it's useless. Short men aren't supposed to have huge arms because then they look ludicrious, just take a look at 33386.
and you wonder why you look like a bottom

all legs no upper body

T-REX007

• Getbig III
Already been said, but handling 140-150 lb. dumbbells can be a real pain as opposed to using heavy barbells for presses. And powerlifting/ bench competitions are barbell based, not dumbbell so may as well train like you will do the event if you are training for serious power. Dumbbells can be supersetted with barbells - do a pre-exhaust type of movement with a heavy barbell and then another movement with dumbbells - say heavy set of flat bench followed by relatively heavy incline dumbbell presses

If going for the overall "development" look dumbbells are hard to beat in my opinion. Mostly talking about pressing movements here from my experience, not much of a curls guy. A combination of the two is the ultimate way to go says me :)

BRO

• Getbig III
ronnie coleman says a barbell balances itself out pretty much

dumbells require your own strength to balance them out

this is one of his secrets he said

One of Ronnie's best secrets was his genetics and his response to hormones as well

;D