Author Topic: Dealing with depression  (Read 38324 times)

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
Re: Dealing with depression
« Reply #400 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:55 AM »
I've never really been depressed (unless I just don't know I am). Anxiety is more my style... :-\

Amen to that!

If the medical professionals had a cure.... well, you know. Depression is much like cancer in many ways.

I understand how depression can really suck for some people.

They may have gone from a life of waking up every day and going about their business ~ feeling just fine and never giving the day a second thought. Anything that came at them in the day was dealt with, rolling with the punches...

...and then suddenly one day you wake up and every single day seems to be a battle as to whether or not you are going to be able to contend with your day. You've never had to deal with this before. You start thinking that something is extremely wrong. Nobody understands. You are to proud and embarrassed to admit that you feel powerless for the first time in your life.

From this point on, every day is truly a "new" day.

I get it. Trust me, I do.

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #401 on: December 03, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
I had a bit of depression a bit back but then realized it was because I was trying to control things in my life that were not in control and I looked at it as my failure instead of what it really was.

I also found one of the ways to deal with depression (besides counseling and meds) is take a hard look at all areas in your life. Is there balance? Work, gym, wife, kids etc..its really easy to get pulled into the trenches.

Ronnie Rep

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #402 on: December 03, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
He really doesn't.

Until a person goes through a true clinical depression they have no idea.
Absolutely! Or you witness other people going through it!

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: December 03, 2013, 11:46:52 AM »
that will do it..but cant he just get another one?

he will do the same thing he did with the last one. when he's got something good he takes it for granted and sub consciously destroys it, this is a recurring pattern and he won't be happy until he fixes it. 

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #404 on: December 03, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #405 on: December 03, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
Some exogenous variables (i.e., those outside the bounds of one's skin) contributing to depression: Messed up relationships with other people; the way you were raised; a lack of opportunity to develop emotionally, physically, sexually, and so on; acute stress (you've lost your job, just broke up, and so on); chronic stress (a shithead boss that does little things to annoy you day by day); the stage of life you're in (being a teenager or a recent retiree with no job anymore, for example)

Some endogenous variables (i.e., those within the bounds of one's skin) contributing to depression: genetics -- data indicate certain mental illnesses unfold at certain ages in people independent of external stimulus, indicating a genetic cause (e.g., schizophrenia); your way of coping with stress (blaming yourself, loading up on drugs, whatever); your beliefs (believing you're a worthless piece of shite or some such will cause problems); your nervous system (some people have arousal systems that are wired to have intense reactions and this can contribute to depression); the chemical state of your brain (it is recognized that certain imbalances induce or are otherwise coextensive with depression in many instances)

Obviously, all of these variables interact with one another in a variety of complex ways, in addition to (probably) overlapping to some degree.

Solutions:

(i) Work to improve your relationships with others, or, if you don't have any, establish some.

(ii) Identity the opportunities you are missing out on and formulate a plan to expose yourself to said opportunities. This is broad and depends on your specific situation, but might include spending more time with members of the opposite sex, going back to school to have a better chance in the job market, etc. Take a whole weekend to reflect on your life and why you're unhappy, an activity which will naturally suggest means for rectifying the situation.

(iii) Develop an in-depth stress reduction regime, including a proper exercise and diet, meditation, supplementation, and whatever other activity you have found works to reduce stress

(iv) Get a cognitive behavioral therapy workbook (they publish them as self-help manuals these days) and try out some of its methods for a few months and see if things aren't better. If not, consider more in-depth treatment by a professional. CBT will address issues like irrational thoughts that contribute to depression (e.g., Luberyourman's absurd "your life is predetermined, all of life is about domination" bullshit) and certain behavioral tricks to ameliorate, and ultimately treat, your condition.

(v) Consider medication if your problem has been longstanding and isn't clearly linked to external events in your life.

(vi) Formulate goals -- long-term ones broken down into short-term ones -- and accomplish them on a regular basis. The accretion of accomplished goals recorded for posterity's sake can help one's self esteem, especially since if you're depressed you're probably focusing only on negative things, a bias a proper goal planning and recording program will help eliminate

(vii) Stay active: it's harder to be depressed when you are earning a pilot's license, riding a horse, surfing, learning a new language, exploring an ancient Buddhist temple, mountain biking, skydiving, fishing, proving a tough theorem, French corkscrewing a Brazilian belly dancer, reading an awesome sc-fi novel or work of literature, etc. rather than sitting at home sulking, even if at first you don't enjoy the activity to its fullest because you are, after all, depressed.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #406 on: December 03, 2013, 12:30:56 PM »
This thread has a lot of legs. I'm not surprised. I think a lot of bodybuilders are depressives or have similar mental pathologies. It's one reason they work so hard to change their outer apperarance. The hope being is that if they change what's on the outside they will feel better about themself.
again, everyone is depressed and struggling to survive, some just hide better than others, as simple as that. Nobody is always happy, most people pretend to be. Who is really happy most of the time? a rich person with a stable family , who wasnt mistreated as a kid and who does what he likes everyday. Or its poor equivalent.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #407 on: December 03, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
I 'believe' that religion is good for those who can't deal with the unknown.

And what is good for those who can deal with the unknown, anti-depressants?

Gonuclear

• Getbig III
  • It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.
« Reply #408 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »
Some exogenous variables (i.e., those outside the bounds of one's skin) contributing to depression: Messed up relationships with other people; the way you were raised; a lack of opportunity to develop emotionally, physically, sexually, and so on; acute stress (you've lost your job, just broke up, and so on); chronic stress (a shithead boss that does little things to annoy you day by day); the stage of life you're in (being a teenager or a recent retiree with no job anymore, for example)

Some endogenous variables (i.e., those within the bounds of one's skin) contributing to depression: genetics -- data indicate certain mental illnesses unfold at certain ages in people independent of external stimulus, indicating a genetic cause (e.g., schizophrenia); your way of coping with stress (blaming yourself, loading up on drugs, whatever); your beliefs (believing you're a worthless piece of shite or some such will cause problems); your nervous system (some people have arousal systems that are wired to have intense reactions and this can contribute to depression); the chemical state of your brain (it is recognized that certain imbalances induce or are otherwise coextensive with depression in many instances)

Obviously, all of these variables interact with one another in a variety of complex ways, in addition to (probably) overlapping to some degree.

Solutions:

(i) Work to improve your relationships with others, or, if you don't have any, establish some.

(ii) Identity the opportunities you are missing out on and formulate a plan to expose yourself to said opportunities. This is broad and depends on your specific situation, but might include spending more time with members of the opposite sex, going back to school to have a better chance in the job market, etc. Take a whole weekend to reflect on your life and why you're unhappy, an activity which will naturally suggest means for rectifying the situation.

(iii) Develop an in-depth stress reduction regime, including a proper exercise and diet, meditation, supplementation, and whatever other activity you have found works to reduce stress

(iv) Get a cognitive behavioral therapy workbook (they publish them as self-help manuals these days) and try out some of its methods for a few months and see if things aren't better. If not, consider more in-depth treatment by a professional. CBT will address issues like irrational thoughts that contribute to depression (e.g., Luberyourman's absurd "your life is predetermined, all of life is about domination" bullshit) and certain behavioral tricks to ameliorate, and ultimately treat, your condition.

(v) Consider medication if your problem has been longstanding and isn't clearly linked to external events in your life.

(vi) Formulate goals -- long-term ones broken down into short-term ones -- and accomplish them on a regular basis. The accretion of accomplished goals recorded for posterity's sake can help one's self esteem, especially since if you're depressed you're probably focusing only on negative things, a bias a proper goal planning and recording program will help eliminate

(vii) Stay active: it's harder to be depressed when you are earning a pilot's license, riding a horse, surfing, learning a new language, exploring an ancient Buddhist temple, mountain biking, skydiving, fishing, proving a tough theorem, French corkscrewing a Brazilian belly dancer, reading an awesome sc-fi novel or work of literature, etc. rather than sitting at home sulking, even if at first you don't enjoy the activity to its fullest because you are, after all, depressed.

Really excellent post! Lots of great advice.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #409 on: December 03, 2013, 03:35:09 PM »
I have been battling severe depression for many years now, and let me tell you battling your mental demons is one of the hardest things in this world. You cannot escape yourself. I have suicidal thoughts every single day, and you get to the point your mind just drains all the life out of you.
Yup.

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #410 on: December 03, 2013, 03:36:26 PM »
Been on SSRIs for over 8 years.

TrueGrit

• Getbig V
  • Big dude...all the way big dude.
« Reply #411 on: December 03, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
I believe that if you are essentially a good person with a conscience and a developed range of emotions, capable of feeling real empathy, then it's pretty hard not to get depressed sometimes in this modern society we're imprisoned by.  

O

flinstones1

• Getbig V
  • levroneflinstonee
« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2013, 04:28:33 PM »
He really doesn't.

Until a person goes through a true clinical depression they have no idea.

the female brain is a lot more prone to depression.
l

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #413 on: December 03, 2013, 04:33:01 PM »

Solutions:

well it can be sumarized that way; win, fight, kill instead of being killed, dominate instead of being dominated....thanks for info tho...  ::)

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: December 03, 2013, 04:35:40 PM »
little depressed falcons!  ;D
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #415 on: December 03, 2013, 04:39:07 PM »
Popping will cheer you up.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: December 03, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Agreed.

Too much free time on his hands though to write all that shit. Hope it doesn't depress him.

:D ;D

Alex23

• Getbig IV
  • Rely on knowledge.
« Reply #417 on: December 03, 2013, 07:01:41 PM »
Popping will cheer you up.

No one could be depressed after seeing this  ;D
®

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: December 03, 2013, 07:05:37 PM »
actually, not having it IS depressing Alex ^

syntaxmachine

• Getbig IV
« Reply #419 on: December 03, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
well it can be sumarized that way; win, fight, kill instead of being killed, dominate instead of being dominated....thanks for info tho...  ::)

You're just depressed that you'll never have crazy ass traps like me.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #420 on: December 04, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
No one could be depressed after seeing this  ;D

My ex had the exact same body (Portuguese girl). No joke.

JamesRustles

• Getbig II
  • Vince Goodrum Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2013, 04:41:13 AM »
I think some people who think they are depressed actually are suffering from anxiety and sometimes they are suffering from both. I had to deal with some pretty tragic deaths of friends at a real young age not only that alot of my friends wound up in federal prison that year. friends of minewere also just dropping like flies and I was kind of fucked up about it all for about 6 weeks before I went to talk to a doctor about it. They gave me both a SSRI and a benzo, prozac and ativan to start with. The prozac was horrible! Prozac a SSRI is just the nastiest shit I ever tried. Prozac takes awhile to start working and while you are waiting for weeks for it to work you deal with nasty side effects. I wasn't really deprressed I was suffering from anxiety and insomnia wich is why the ativan helped me. I had also got ahold of a sample of xanax from the doctor just a 10 tab professional sample and it was like a miracle drug everything went away. I forgot about all my stress and worrys. The prozac took 3 weeks to kick in and it was just total shit! I wasn't really depressed so maybe that is why it did not work for me. The prozac did nothing to help me sleep it actually kept me up, and fucked up how my ativan was working.

Anyway long story short next appointment I told the doctor the prozac was garbage and I wanted to stop using them and even though I was only on them for 5 weeks he said he still wanted me to taper off and it could be dangerous if I quit cold turkey. So yes SSRI's are addictive and dangerous as well. The prozac really fucked up my blood pressure as well It jumped from 129/80 to 177/114. My doctor made me get bloodwork done to check my kidneys and liver.

I also told the doctor i wanted to get on xanax instead of the ativan the xanax seemed to work like magic. xanax is great if you get stressed out and also have insomnia. I was using steroids as well and when you get on high dosages of Test and other AAS you start getting insomnia and you get stressed out easier and the xanax fixed this problem. The dr. made me go get a mental health Evaluation to get the xanax he said the strongest drugs he could prescribe were ativan,valium and klonopin this was from a kaiser dr. he said if i wanted xanax I had to see a psychiatrist and do the mental health evaluation. So I did the evaluation and got prescribed 6mg of xanax daily but he said this was a huge daily dose and since I was young he wanted to do UA's and I had to wait 30 days exactly till I could get a refill. Alot of dr.s and half of psychiatrist think xanax is to strong of a drug to prescribe and your bound to get addicted. It is more addictive then heroin but if they make your life better and get them prescribed in a legit fashion and make sure never to stop taking it without tapering off you should be fine. the thing with xanax is once you start you are pretty much going to need them for life. It is a drug that not many people come off of or if they do it is not very easy but same thing with most SSRi's tapering is a must if you take a SSRI for a long time.

I think treating depression with medication is not the right idea. Like someone else said depression is for the weak. Anxiety is more of a real condition. people who are depressed are usually people who need to loose weight or get laid more. I just don't believe in depression and think it is very managable without medication. anybody who is depressed stay away from medications and people with aniety make sure you get a mental health evaluation and get a MRI on your brain and don't take any medication unless a psychiatrist suggests it. If a person with anxiety can stay off medication as well that is the way to go. medication works wonders for alot of us but your using drugs that are very addictive  especially anxiety patients. Do I feel bad I got started on xanax and probably will take it my whole life, not really but it is something that was def needed for me to live a good quality life. If someone is depressed and finds a medication that helps them and thinks they need them to live a quality life then take them. just remember if you decide to come off the drugs make sure you taper off and if it has been years on the drugs it might take years to get you off the drugs.

There are so many things to help these conditions, money helps big time, getting laid alot helps big time, having alot of family around helps big time, sticking with your hobbys helps big time, exercise helps out big time, lots of things can help besides medication. If you have lost alot of family and friends in a tragic manner and have horrible insomnia that is where it is hard not to fall into taking medications.

I bet all that oxycodone you got helps though lol