Author Topic: Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden  (Read 12525 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden
« on: January 07, 2014, 11:51:41 AM »
Good.  I hope he lives the rest of his life looking over his shoulder. 

Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden
Sunday, 05 Jan 2014
By Newsmax Wires

Former NSA leaker Edward Snowden should not receive amnesty of any type because of the profound damage he did to the United States, says former Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano.

In an interview to be broadcast Sunday on NBC’s “Meet the Press,’’ Napolitano said she strongly disagreed with The New York Times and Britain’s Guardian newspaper, which have argued that the United States should welcome him back with open arms because of the debate on national security that his theft provoked.

“I think Snowden has exacted quite a bit of damage and did it in a way that violated the law,” Napolitano said. “I think he’s committed crimes and I think that the damage we’ll see now and we’ll see it for years to come.”

The New York Times wrote in a Jan. 1 editorial that Snowden deserved “some form of clemency” or sharply reduced charges because he had essentially served as a whistle-blower to government abuse of its anti-terrorism surveillance powers.

Napolitano will lead a U.S. delegation to Russia for the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi. Two bomb attacks last month in Russia raised fears that terrorists will target the games.

Russian authorities have said they are deploying 30,000 police officers in and around the Olympic site. Some analysts have suggested that could leave other areas vulnerable.

Napolitano said she shared that concern, and that the U.S. would work with Russia and the International Olympic Committee “as closely as we can” to ensure the safety of the games.

Muslim separatist groups are the leading suspects in the two suicide bombings in the southern Russian city of Volgograd that killed more than 30 people. Sochi is located on the Black Sea, about 435 miles (700 kilometers) southwest of Volgograd.

The U.S. delegation Napolitano is leading includes prominent American lesbian and gay athletes, including tennis player Billie Jean King and figure skater Brian Boitano.

Russia has faced criticism for adopting anti-gay laws. Napolitano said the makeup of the delegation was designed to “demonstrate that the United States is a very free and open and tolerant society.”

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/napolitano-no-clemency-snowden/2014/01/05/id/545249#ixzz2pkC6pd4m

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Ex-Homeland Chief Napolitano: No Mercy for Edward Snowden
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Exclusive: Snowden Swiped Password From NSA Coworker
BY MICHAEL ISIKOFF

A civilian NSA employee recently resigned after being stripped of his security clearance for allowing former agency contractor Edward Snowden to use his personal log-in credentials to access classified information, according to an agency memo obtained by NBC News.

In addition, an active duty member of the U.S. military and a contractor have been barred from accessing National Security Agency facilities after they were “implicated” in actions that may have aided Snowden, the memo states. Their status is now being reviewed by their employers, the memo says.

The Feb. 10 memo, sent to congressional intelligence and judiciary committees this week, provides the first official account of a sweeping NSA internal inquiry aimed at identifying intelligence officials and contractors who may been responsible for one of the biggest security breaches in U.S. history. The memo is unclassified but labeled “for official use only.”

"Unbeknownst to the civilian, Mr. Snowden was able to capture the password, allowing him even greater access to classified information.”

While the memo’s account is sketchy, it suggests that, contrary to Snowden’s statements, he used an element of trickery to retrieve his trove of tens of thousands of classified documents: “At Snowden’s request,” the civilian NSA employee, who is not identified by name, entered his password onto Snowden’s computer terminal, the memo states.

“Unbeknownst to the civilian, Mr. Snowden was able to capture the password, allowing him even greater access to classified information,” the memo states.

The memo states that the civilian employee was unaware that Snowden “intended to unlawfully disclose classified information.” Nevertheless, by sharing with Snowden his personal “public key infrastructure” certificate -- a system of highly secure credentials that provided greater access to NSA’s internal computer system -- the employee “failed to comply with security obligations,” the memo states. As a result, the employee’s security clearance was revoked in November and the NSA has notified the Justice Department that he recently resigned. (A public key infrastructure certificate is a highly secure system of password and log-in exchanges designed to protect against unauthorized access to sensitive computer networks.)

The memo does not explain what actions the U.S. military member and the contractor took that caused them to lose their access to NSA facilities.

"Has anybody been disciplined at NSA for dropping the ball so badly?”

The Feb. 10 memo was signed by Ethan Bauman, the NSA’s director of legislative affairs. It was sent to the congressional committees after repeated questions from senior members about whether the NSA intended to hold any of its employees accountable for the security lapses that enable Snowden to gain access to massive volumes of classified documents that he later leaked to the news media

“Has anybody been disciplined at NSA for dropping the ball so badly?” Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., demanded of NSA Director Gen. Keith Alexander at a Dec. 11 hearing. Alexander at the time replied that the agency had three “cases” that “we’re currently reviewing.” (An NSA spokeswoman Vanee Vines declined comment Wednesday night, writing in an email: “I don’t have anything for your story.”)

The question of how Snowden was able to obtain as much classified material as he did while working at a remote NSA station in Hawaii has been the subject of intensive investigation by the U.S. intelligence community for months.

Reuters reporters Mark Hosenball and Warren Strobel reported in November that Snowden used login credential and passwords provided “unwittingly” by colleagues at the Hawaii spy base. The Reuters report said Snowden “may have persuaded between 20 and 25 fellow workers” to give him their passwords. But the NSA never publicly commented on that report and Snowden appeared to deny it during a public Google chat on Jan. 23.

“Was the privacy of your co-workers considered while you were stealing their log-in and password information?” Snowden was asked during the chat.

“With all due respect to Mark Hosenball, the Reuters report that put this out there was simply wrong,” Snowden replied. “I never stole any passwords, nor did I trick an army of co-workers.”

Ben Wizner, a lawyer for the ACLU who represents Snowden, did not immediately respond to phone and email requests for comment.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/investigations/exclusive-snowden-swiped-password-nsa-coworker-n29006

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »
So he did to the NSA what the NSA does to you, and he's the bad guy.

I get it.

;D

Personally - I don't have a problem with what he did.  The govt spying on its citizens and lying about it?  Breaking the 4th amendment, putting us into an Orwellian state of feasr over the police state and snowden is the enemy? 

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 07:26:07 PM »
I agree... It's our patriotic duty to keep our government in check.

He's a damn patriot.
This. But the government spins it and uses the troops as leverage and suddenly he's the enemy.

A lot of my Marine friends said the same thing.. who cares if he puts us at risk, our job is to be at risk, our governments job is to protect the citizens rights and freedoms.

It pisses me off that the government used the military as political leverage to turn the populous against this guy.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 07:31:53 PM »

As free American citizens, the Federal Government is no friend of ours.

Mr.1derful

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 03:40:26 AM »
Snowden should get the Nobel Peace prize.  Plus, why the hell would he even want to come back?  Kind of like jumping on board the Titanic (Olympic   ;) ) as it's going down.  

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:02:12 AM »
Guilty of being truthfull to Americans.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 11:19:43 AM »
Brilliants.   ::)

Snowden Elected Leader of Students at UK School
Tuesday, 18 Feb 2014

Former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden has been elected as the official representative of the student body at the University of Glasgow.

The results of the voting were announced Tuesday.

Snowden is in Russian, where he has received temporary asylum. He left the United States after leaking documents disclosing details of U.S. spies' surveillance of the Internet and telephone communications.

Glasgow students had earlier said they contacted Snowden through his lawyers and he agreed to run for the job, known as rector. Some who have held the post in the past have been unable to come to Glasgow.

Given that Britain has an extradition treaty with the United States, where Snowden is wanted on criminal charges, it is most unlikely that he would choose to come.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/EU-Britain-Snowden-University/2014/02/18/id/553369#ixzz2the9QYXb

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Pretty much of a thread backfire, lol.

Complicated issue, though;  I'm not sure what to think about Snowden except that I think his heart seems to have been in the right place.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 11:47:45 AM »
Pretty much of a thread backfire, lol.

Complicated issue, though;  I'm not sure what to think about Snowden except that I think his heart seems to have been in the right place.

Thread backfire is when you make a statement or post a story that turns out to be false.  It's not when people disagree with your opinion.  One of the things you want when stories are posted is differing viewpoints. 

I hope he winds up in a very small prison cell. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 11:50:34 AM »
Who is more deserving of a peace price

Obama or Snowden?

Case closed

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
Neither.

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:48:15 PM »
Thread backfire is when you make a statement or post a story that turns out to be false.  It's not when people disagree with your opinion.  One of the things you want when stories are posted is differing viewpoints. 

I hope he winds up in a very small prison cell. 

Demonstrably not true even on GetBig, BB. 

If a false statement is jumped on by other folks during which it's proved to be false, that IS called a "thread backfire" too, but it's commonly seen on our own G & O board (as well as boards like mma.tv) that the term is used when someone posts an opinion (particularly when the opinion is a strong one) and near 100% of the folks that reply disagree.  (Just did a search of the term "thread backfire" on the G&O board that confirms this.) 

FWIW (nuthin!), on your initial post, had you not written, "I hope he lives the rest of his life looking over his shoulder.", or maybe just added "What does everyone else think?", I wouldn't have said anything about any backfire. 

It's not unremarkable, I think, that not one person who commented seems to agree with you.  (Though, to be fair, not really that many people have commented.)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:53:00 PM »
Demonstrably not true even on GetBig, BB. 

If a false statement is jumped on by other folks during which it's proved to be false, that IS called a "thread backfire" too, but it's commonly seen on our own G & O board (as well as boards like mma.tv) that the term is used when someone posts an opinion (particularly when the opinion is a strong one) and near 100% of the folks that reply disagree.  (Just did a search of the term "thread backfire" on the G&O board that confirms this.) 

FWIW (nuthin!), on your initial post, had you not written, "I hope he lives the rest of his life looking over his shoulder.", or maybe just added "What does everyone else think?", I wouldn't have said anything about any backfire. 

It's not unremarkable, I think, that not one person who commented seems to agree with you.  (Though, to be fair, not really that many people have commented.)

I disagree.  There are many instances where most people come down on one side or the other when offering opinions.  That's not a "backfire." 

And I cannot speak for anyone else, but I don't care how many people agree or disagree with my opinions.  It's really about having a discussion. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:10 PM »
I disagree.  There are many instances where most people come down on one side or the other when offering opinions.  That's not a "backfire." 

Disagree all you want.  You're just not right in this case.  It may have been the case that a "thread backfire" meant only what you say it means at one time but it doesn't mean that NOW. 

Seriously, search the G&O board for the term "thread backfire" (you'll get 8 pages of results) and see what I'm talking about.

Fact is, word definitions change over time, ya feel me?  (I'm sure I butchered that, lol)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:08:30 PM »
Disagree all you want.  You're just not right in this case.  It may have been the case that a "thread backfire" meant only what you say it means at one time but it doesn't mean that NOW. 

Seriously, search the G&O board for the term "thread backfire" (you'll get 8 pages of results) and see what I'm talking about.

Fact is, word definitions change over time, ya feel me?  (I'm sure I butchered that, lol)

No, I'm not going to search the G&O.  It's not that important. 

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
No, I'm not going to search the G&O.  It's not that important. 

Fine. 

BTW, I sympathize with you a little; Drives me up the wall that the verb "to conversate" has worked its way into the English language.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:33 PM »
Fine. 

BTW, I sympathize with you a little; Drives me up the wall that the verb "to conversate" has worked its way into the English language.

Is that even a word?  (I've never used it.)

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:46:48 PM »
Is that even a word?  (I've never used it.)

According to more and more dictionaries, yes.  Back-formation from "conversation"  much like the much older (and more accepted) "to orientate" from "orientation".  (Personally, I think "to converse" and "to orient" are enough.)

Honestly, I LIKE many African-American vernacular contributions to language (supplies a little flava, imo) but reek of retardation (to me) and drive me up the wall.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 07:42:45 PM »
Joint Chiefs chairman: Snowden will take 2 years to evaluate, will cost military millions
Published March 06, 2014
Associated Press

WASHINGTON –  The top U.S. military officer says it will take two years of study and billions of dollars to overcome the loss of security to military operations and tactics that were revealed in the massive stash of documents taken by former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden.

Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey tells the House Armed Services Committee the Pentagon set up a task force to determine how the documents could be used and how to mitigate the problem. He says the task force will take two years due to the "magnitude of this challenge."

U.S. officials have said that the vast majority of the documents taken by Snowden related to U.S. military capabilities. Less than 10 percent involved domestic surveillance programs that have been discussed more widely.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/03/06/joint-chiefs-chairman-snowden-leaks-takes-2-years-to-evaluate-will-cost/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 07:43:49 PM »
Snowden deserves a medal compared to Obama

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
I just read an article claiming Snowden tried to go through the proper channels several times.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 07:47:48 PM »
I just read an article claiming Snowden tried to go through the proper channels several times.

I don't doubt it at all

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »

Oh I'll call BS on that one.  And even if he did, so what?  Doesn't justify breaking the law and causing the damage he did. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:59:03 PM »
Oh I'll call BS on that one.  And even if he did, so what?  Doesn't justify breaking the law and causing the damage he did. 

To me it does.  These treasonous criminals in public office would never have told the truth on their own accord but for him.