Author Topic: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)  (Read 11572 times)

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Re: What's a good starter gun to protect the household? (bb related)
« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2014, 07:50:24 AM »
The chances of something like this happening are very very low... you have a far greater chance of being killed by a drunk driver.

Take reasonable measures to ensure your safety, but spending your life worrying about something that will most likely never happen is no way to go through life.  That's my opinion at least

That is solid. I'm slowly coming to that understanding but part of me is like "damn that"  ;D

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
Buy a pump shotgun....any home intruder hears the unmistakable sound of you racking it and good chance they will tuck tail and run.

Yes and no.  Yes to the shotgun no to racking it and giving away your position to an intruder.  If you have a gun in your house for defense it should always be ready to fire.  You won't have the time or mental alertness to be loading or chambering a weapon at 3am,in the dark, just after hearing a window break. 
If you're concerned that your kids will get into it or your wife will shoot herself accidentally then you need to address those issues with the family before buying the gun.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2014, 08:05:06 AM »
Yes and no.  Yes to the shotgun no to racking it and giving away your position to an intruder.  If you have a gun in your house for defense it should always be ready to fire.  You won't have the time or mental alertness to be loading or chambering a weapon at 3am,in the dark, just after hearing a window break. 
If you're concerned that your kids will get into it or your wife will shoot herself accidentally then you need to address those issues with the family before buying the gun.

lol Nothing like being in the trenches at home in your pajamas under fire.  ;D

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2014, 08:19:00 AM »
Statistics on Gun Deaths & Injuries

In 2010, guns took the lives of 31,076 Americans in homicides, suicides and unintentional shootings.  This is the equivalent of more than 85 deaths each day and more than three deaths each hour.

73,505 Americans were treated in hospital emergency departments for non-fatal gunshot wounds in 2010.

Firearms were the third-leading cause of injury-related deaths nationwide in 2010, following poisoning and motor vehicle accidents.

Between 1955 and 1975, the Vietnam War killed over 58,000 American soldiers – less than the number of civilians killed with guns in the U.S. in an average two-year period.

In the first seven years of the U.S.-Iraq War, over 4,400 American soldiers were killed. Almost as many civilians are killed with guns in the U.S., however, every seven weeks.

Homicide

Guns were used in 11,078 homicides in the U.S. in 2010, comprising almost 35% of all gun deaths, and over 68% of all homicides.

On average, 33 gun homicides were committed each day for the years 2005-2010.

Regions and states with higher rates of gun ownership have significantly higher rates of homicide than states with lower rates of gun ownership.

Where guns are prevalent, there are significantly more homicides, particularly gun homicides.

Suicide

Firearms were used in 19,392 suicides in the U.S. in 2010, constituting almost 62% of all gun deaths.

Over 50% of all suicides are committed with a firearm.

On average, 49 gun suicides were committed each day for the years 2005-2010.

White males, about 40% of the U.S. population, accounted for over 80% of firearm suicides in 2010.

A study of California handgun purchasers found that in the first year after the purchase of a handgun, suicide was the leading cause of death among the purchasers.

Firearms were used in nearly 44% of suicide deaths among persons under age 25 in 2010.

More than 75% of guns used in suicide attempts and unintentional injuries of 0-19 year-olds were stored in the residence of the victim, a relative, or a friend.

The risk of suicide increases in homes where guns are kept loaded and/or unlocked.

Unintentional Deaths and Injuries

In 2010, unintentional firearm injuries caused the deaths of 606 people.

From 2005-2010, almost 3,800 people in the U.S. died from unintentional shootings.

Over 1,300 victims of unintentional shootings for the period 2005–2010 were under 25 years of age.

People of all age groups are significantly more likely to die from unintentional firearm injuries when they live in states with more guns, relative to states with fewer guns. On average, states with the highest gun levels had nine times the rate of unintentional firearms deaths compared to states with the lowest gun levels.

A federal government study of unintentional shootings found that 8% of such shooting deaths resulted from shots fired by children under the age of six.

The U.S. General Accounting Office has estimated that 31% of unintentional deaths caused by firearms might be prevented by the addition of two devices: a child-proof safety lock (8%) and a loading indicator (23%).

Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010, for National, Regional, and States (Dec. 2012), http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/dataRestriction_inj.html (hereinafter WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010. Note: Users must agree to data use restrictions on the CDC site prior to accessing data). [↩]
Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention & Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Nonfatal Injury Reports, at http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/nfirates2001.html (last visited Nov. 20, 2012) (hereinafter WISQARS Nonfatal Injury Reports). [↩]
Nat’l Ctr. for Injury Prevention and Control, U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Web-Based Injury Statistics Query & Reporting System (WISQARS) Leading Causes of Death Reports, 1999-2010, for National, Regional, and States (RESTRICTED), at http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/leading_causes_death.html (last visited Nov. 30, 2012). [↩]
U.S. Department of Defense, Statistical Information Analysis Division, Personnel & Military Casualty Statistics, U.S. Military Casualties in Southeast Asia: Vietnam Conflict – Casualty Summary As of May 16, 2008, at http://siadapp.dmdc.osd.mil/personnel/CASUALTY/vietnam.pdf (last visited Feb. 10, 2012); WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010, supra note 1. [↩]
U.S. Department of Defense, Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF) U.S. Casualty Status, Fatalities as of: March 12, 2012, 10 a.m. EST, at http://www.defense.gov/news/casualty.pdf (last visited Feb. 10, 2012); WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010, supra note 1. [↩]
WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999-2010, supra note 1. [↩]
Id. [↩]
Matthew Miller, Deborah Azrael & David Hemenway, Rates of Household Firearm Ownership and Homicide Across US Regions and States, 1988-1997, 92 Am. J. Pub. Health 1988 (2002). [↩]
David Hemenway, Private Guns, Public Health 65 (2004). [↩]
Id. [↩]
Id. [↩]
Id. [↩]
Garen J. Wintemute et al., Mortality Among Recent Purchasers of Handguns, 341 New Eng. J. Med. 1583, 1585 (Nov. 18, 1999). [↩]
David C. Grossman, Donald T. Reay & Stephanie A. Baker, Self-inflicted & Unintentional Firearm Injuries Among Children & Adolescents: The Source of the Firearm, 153 Archives Pediatric & Adolescent Med. 875 (Aug. 1999), at http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/153/8/875. [↩]
Matthew Miller & David Hemenway, The Relationship Between Firearms and Suicide: A Review of the Literature, 4 Aggression & Violent Behavior 59, 62-65 (1999) (summarizing the findings of multiple studies). [↩]
Id. [↩]
Id. [↩]
Matthew Miller, Deborah Azrael & David Hemenway, Firearm Availability and Unintentional Firearm Deaths, 33 Accident Analysis & Prevention 477 (July 2001). [↩]
U.S. General Accounting Office, Accidental Shootings: Many Deaths and Injuries Caused by Firearms Could Be Prevented 17 (Mar. 1991), at http://161.203.16.4/d20t9/143619.pdf. [↩]
Id. A loading indicator, also known as a “chamber load indicator,” is a safety device that indicates at a glance whether a firearm is loaded and whether a round remains in the chamber. [↩]

Ban forks and spoons too... they make people fat.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »
TLDR; Normally if there's any danger I can throw up a front double biceps or hit a most muscular and avert danger. But last week there was a murder rampage 3 blocks away and it shook me up. I need to know what's a good starter gun to keep at home. Getting my license very soon because I fear the gun laws will be changed any time soon.

Long version; The shooting was at a mill and there were 6 choppers that flew past my house along with more than a dozen sirens I heard rushing past while I was taking my morning shit. When news broke out I heard it was at a mill and I thought it was were my brother was working. I nearly broke down but found out it was a mill right by where his mill is. Two dead and four people shot by a disgruntled employee. My mom was at the ER and treated them all and said one buddy's face was shot right off and the other badly injured dude also died. The two deceased were flown to another hospital but she said she knew they weren't going to make it. Other two were lucky to live. And she had to treat the shooter too. The shooter was tackled by a couple brave employees but only had a few bumps and bruises... I think they should have turned the gun on him and did him in on the spot.

Anyway, later that day I'm doing yard work and run out of work beers, so I walk down to the liquor store a block away. My mom calls me frantic about a stabbing on my street "someone on your street just stabbed two people and is trying to break into houses to hide, get home right now!!!!". I turn around and run home to protect my wife and baby. Then I hear sirens again and the cops luckily apprehend the fucker. Shortly after, maybe a day or two, a 16 year old chick got stabbed more than 20 times as well but survived. :-\
Take the gun nutters advice and realise, you're more likely to be killed driving to work, so why are you worried about being the victim of gun crime?  You just need to man up, take a few deep breaths and accept you can't prevent fate.  This realisation may help you begin to think rationally instead of making rash decisions based on fear.  That's how the crazy American Gun Culture started in the first place and how it is still fed to the masses.  FEAR !!!!!!
V

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2014, 08:32:32 AM »
Ban forks and spoons too... they make people fat.
Does an individuals spoons and forks make OTHER people fat?
V

Simple Simon

« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
Does an individuals spoons and forks make OTHER people fat?
Yes , they influence others.
Ever seen someone eating something and thought you would like to try it?

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2014, 08:44:03 AM »
lol Nothing like being in the trenches at home in your pajamas under fire.  ;D

and I don't wear pajamas!    :-X

ChopperRider

• Getbig V
  • Ugly, bald Shitso scalp for sale = $1
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2014, 09:26:00 AM »

Another living room Rambo, ready to blaze away at the 85 year old neighbor with Alzhemier's who mistakenly comes "home" to the wrong house.   ::)

Big Chiro Flex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • FREE FOOZLE
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 09:34:58 AM »
Anyone not using nun chucks to protect their family is a certified Grade A Fugazzi.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2014, 10:29:26 AM »
Another living room Rambo, ready to blaze away at the 85 year old neighbor with Alzhemier's who mistakenly comes "home" to the wrong house.   ::)

Using E-Kul's actuarial likelihood tables, your scenario is less plausible than a Trayvon.

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2014, 11:02:06 AM »
Would never buy a Norc. When it comes down to it I'm not trusting my life to a Chinese made gun. Springfield 1911 FTW
^^
I have one, I've NEVER had any issues with it, EVER... I keep it clean and lubed though!

dustin

« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2014, 11:51:44 AM »
Take the gun nutters advice and realise, you're more likely to be killed driving to work, so why are you worried about being the victim of gun crime?  You just need to man up, take a few deep breaths and accept you can't prevent fate.  This realisation may help you begin to think rationally instead of making rash decisions based on fear.  That's how the crazy American Gun Culture started in the first place and how it is still fed to the masses.  FEAR !!!!!!

I watched a stabber get dragged away outside my home. Someone also went on a shooting rampage a couple blocks away. This is not being a victim of gun culture and propaganda. Canada is going to be dropping heavy legislation and I want a gun before it's not legal.

I also don't plan to carry 24/7 like the nuts here who think they'll die in a grocery store in a shootout. I want a gun just for at home. That way if anyone enters my home without permission my wife can pull a trigger and kill them. Is that okay with you?

And don't forget, I have a savage pitbull too. Dogs are good, but there are alcoholic native Americans who get high and break into homes regardless of noise and pets. It's a new trend where people break in and go balls to the wall with reckless abandon. No one expects that level of stupidity and brazenness which gives them a violent upper hand. If someone does this, I want to put bullets in them. In the nice end of town where I used to live, people were getting bound and beaten with lead pipes during break ins so I'm overdue for getting protection.

I chased away a robber with a hammer (I have hammers everywhere in case of emergency) and chased away drunk/high natives with a meat cleaver before. I'm not afraid for my own safety. I'm afraid for my wife and child and want to cinch up this last opening.

We also have cougars and bears so my fears are rational and not confounded. When my dog got lost when I was hiking I was stalked by two cougars and a bear was also spotted in that area just a couple hours prior.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2014, 12:14:48 PM »
I'm not a gun guy but it seems obvious.  A high shell capacity, magazine fed, semi-auto, short barrel shotgun, and two are better than one.

Apparently they're "illegal."  ::)  Pfff.

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2014, 12:21:49 PM »
Dustin look into getting glock 19 best combat handgun. Easy to use clean. Security forces and police use them all over the world. Glocks are super durable and reliable. Takes all differ size mags. You can get a pump shotgun for cheap. You can clean and lube up a ten year old pump gun and it will work great. Get a Mossberg 500 or an 870 Remington.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »

X2 !!

spiro

• Getbig IV

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG

Mawse

• Getbig IV
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2014, 04:36:55 PM »
I watched a stabber get dragged away outside my home. Someone also went on a shooting rampage a couple blocks away. This is not being a victim of gun culture and propaganda. Canada is going to be dropping heavy legislation and I want a gun before it's not legal.

I also don't plan to carry 24/7 like the nuts here who think they'll die in a grocery store in a shootout. I want a gun just for at home. That way if anyone enters my home without permission my wife can pull a trigger and kill them. Is that okay with you?

And don't forget, I have a savage pitbull too. Dogs are good, but there are alcoholic native Americans who get high and break into homes regardless of noise and pets. It's a new trend where people break in and go balls to the wall with reckless abandon. No one expects that level of stupidity and brazenness which gives them a violent upper hand. If someone does this, I want to put bullets in them. In the nice end of town where I used to live, people were getting bound and beaten with lead pipes during break ins so I'm overdue for getting protection.

I chased away a robber with a hammer (I have hammers everywhere in case of emergency) and chased away drunk/high natives with a meat cleaver before. I'm not afraid for my own safety. I'm afraid for my wife and child and want to cinch up this last opening.

We also have cougars and bears so my fears are rational and not confounded. When my dog got lost when I was hiking I was stalked by two cougars and a bear was also spotted in that area just a couple hours prior.

You should have your dog put down while you're at it since Pit bulls are even more dangerous to their owners than loaded firearms.

offering those nice first nations who break into your home a refreshing bottle of mouthwash or can of gasoline as a peace offering would be a much better idea than buying a gun and living in fear of shooting yourself.

think of the children!!

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2014, 04:51:25 PM »

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
Pussies

Simpleton. I love guns and death.  ::)

Most firearms are in the wrong hands of people who should not even be near them. But this is the majority of American gun owners. Properly trained and tactically capable gun owners I have no problem with.

For the love of pete , don't be one of these guys...

spiro

• Getbig IV
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
Simpleton. I love guns and death.  ::)

Most firearms are in the wrong hands of people who should not even be near them. But this is the majority of American gun owners. Properly trained and tactically capable gun owners I have no problem with.

For the love of pete , don't be one of these guys...

Oh ok I just saw.you agree.with the resident scary cat sorry.

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2014, 07:39:07 PM »
Pump shotgun like a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590...something modern, reliable and hi-cap like an XDm or Glock in 9mm....or something simple to use and inexpensive like a police trade-in Smith Model 10 revolver in .38 special.

This was the best advice from a few previous posts just to recap.

Whatever one you can practice with is the one to use....sometimes that means handgun at the range instead of shotgun. If you aren't used to firing a shotgun you don't want to use it indoors for the first time anyway.

thebrink

• Getbig V
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »
Oh ok I just saw.you agree.with the resident scary cat sorry.

He's like a jack russell terrier that rips your couch apart when you leave at home for the day. feisty and vengeful. Once in a while he barks and demands attention, so he takes extremist stances on various things and gets everyone going.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2014, 09:48:25 PM »
glock 19...and a good tactical handgun class..

bench