Author Topic: Why run?  (Read 15287 times)

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
Why run?
« on: January 24, 2006, 10:44:25 AM »
I see people running all the time like the next marathon is coming up in Feb?  I'm sure you burn a bit more fat while running, but wouldn't you rather keep more muscle by low intensity cardio...in return increasing your metabolism?  Boring thread, just wondering though.  Not every post can have the flair of the now infamous, gay for pay Derek Anthony.  Classic.
N

FreakBB7243

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Why run?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »
Some enjoy running maybe?

People are different, different things work for them.

Stupid thread.

Natural express since '84. Croatch on!
ahahahahahaha...croatch on...man o man...but what does that mean... :D

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 10:51:58 AM »
100 miles and runnin NUGGA!

Runnin' with my brothers, headed for the homebase.
With a steady pace on the face that just we raced.
The road ahead goes on and on.
The shit is gettin' longer than the mutherfuckin' marathon.
Runnin' on but never runnin' out.
Z

8 INCH not biceps

• Getbig IV
  • On the road to weighing 300 pounds
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2006, 11:07:23 AM »

I used to marathons and its a lot of fun the only thing was i used to weigh like 138

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:11:54 AM »
I see people running all the time like the next marathon is coming up in Feb?  I'm sure you burn a bit more fat while running, but wouldn't you rather keep more muscle by low intensity cardio...in return increasing your metabolism?  Boring thread, just wondering though.  Not every post can have the flair of the now infamous, gay for pay Derek Anthony.  Classic.

Sprint. It's burns fat without sacrificing muscle!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 11:19:19 AM »
Sprint. It's burns fat without sacrificing muscle!

They also saved me 15% on my long distance phone bill!

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 11:21:31 AM »
We all know Crotch prefers to cycle.  :P

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »
They also saved me 15% on my long distance phone bill!

rimshot........

an123

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2006, 11:32:43 AM »
Running is more of a lifestyle, like bodybuilding.  At least those that really get into it.

Personally I only run to the car when its cold out.

WiseGuy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2006, 12:55:54 PM »
croatch makes a good point... why go to the gym to run endless miles on a treadmill....

to look like what?

a stick?

actually if you look at a lot of runner they are the reverse of a bodybuilder with a huge upper and no wheels... the runner has chisled legs but looks like a plague vicitim in the upper body....

:-\

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2006, 01:24:54 PM »

Running is easily the best way to lose hard earned muscle mass.
The House that Ruth built

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2006, 01:27:57 PM »
Most honkeys want to live long and having a strong heart can help serve that purpose.

Croatch

• Getbig V
  • Man up, train natural.
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2006, 01:46:21 PM »
I've been doing cardio 5x a week at 3.7mph, heart rate @105.  Roughly 55% of my max heart rate.  My legs are smaller in just 2 months.  I can't imagine running? 

You ever see that jacked runner from Kenya?
No?
That's because he doesn't exist.
N

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »
croatch makes a good point... why go to the gym to run endless miles on a treadmill....

to look like what?

a stick?

That doesn't happen if you sprint.

sculpture

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 02:10:50 PM »
I've been doing cardio 5x a week at 3.7mph, heart rate @105.  Roughly 55% of my max heart rate.  My legs are smaller in just 2 months.  I can't imagine running? 

You ever see that jacked runner from Kenya?
No?
That's because he doesn't exist.

This is most unfortunate for you but at the same time smacks of you tryin to justify not running. I run 4 times a week: twice as fast as i can for 20 mins and the other two times for 1 hr straight at a pace where its taxing but not to the point of discomfort. After months of this my legs are better than ever and any leg and back work where reps are high are not limited at all by my breathing capacity. I hate the idea of being muscular but unable to run, cycle or do any form of cardio to a decent standard, sort of like a sports car that looks good but performs like shit.

Double XL

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2006, 02:17:12 PM »
That doesn't happen if you sprint.
for a cutting phase what type of sprinting program would you reccomed? 
[img]http://nono.com/0ICJ

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2006, 12:37:25 AM »

For lifters/bodybuilders/powerlifters in general, the best cardio is probably the bike as it can keep the heart rate within the target heart rate, while saving your knees, and joints. 

Alternate that with uphill walking (treadmill).  Uphill walking is not true cardio because the work is done at a lower target heart rate that is optimal for fatburning, but it still works all the stabilizer muscles that the bike doesn't work. 

What I've found is that you can alternate these two every other workout so as to not get burnt out on cardio but still keep your heart healthy, while burning fat and keeping your body in an anabolic state.  Do these after your one hour (hopefully) weight workout, so as to maximize the body's fat burning capabilities. 

100 miles and runnin NUGGA!

"Brothas gettin' shot, comin' back, resurrected!!!  This is that raw shit, nugga, check it!  And I remember what my papa told me, remember what my papa told me: Blasphemy."

if you look at a lot of runner they are the reverse of a bodybuilder with a huge upper and no wheels... the runner has chisled legs but looks like a plague vicitim in the upper body....

^Word.

When I was in the military, no matter how much I ate, I could not keep my strength or lean mass gains.  The running literally stripped of whatever muscle I had on my upper body, essentially had me spinning my wheels. 

Running is a catabolic activity.  Once a week is fine, but anything more than that is probably detrimental to muscle building.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2006, 12:40:34 AM »
I've been doing cardio 5x a week at 3.7mph, heart rate @105.  Roughly 55% of my max heart rate.  My legs are smaller in just 2 months. 

Maybe you measured your legs when you were dehydrated/flat or perhaps you lost body fat in those two months or a combination.    You didn't necessarily lose muscle.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »
For lifters/bodybuilders/powerlifters in general, the best cardio is probably the bike as it can keep the heart rate within the target heart rate, while saving your knees, and joints. 

DIV

That's the only cardio I do (besides playing basketball occasionally or whatever) because of my knee problem.    It's just a matter of calories.  If you burn too many doing cardio of course you won't be able to gain muscle or retain it.  It doesn't mean that running is bad intrinsically.   Any cardio is good at the right amount.

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2006, 01:41:59 AM »
That's the only cardio I do (besides playing basketball occasionally or whatever) because of my knee problem.    It's just a matter of calories.  If you burn too many doing cardio of course you won't be able to gain muscle or retain it.  It doesn't mean that running is bad intrinsically.   Any cardio is good at the right amount.

^You truly don't grasp the  point I was making, Sebastian.

In the military you run every day, sometimes one mile, sometimes 6 miles......

Your body is put in to such a catabolic state that it doesn't matter how many calories you take in because whatever muscle mass you build up is burned for energy.  You are always depleted and there is no way to get back to a positive anabolic balance unless you lay off the running or use AAS. 

You haven't been in the military.  I have. 

Read the post next time and comprehend before you comment.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2006, 12:16:09 PM »
I said "Any cardio is good at the right amount."   So how did I miss your point?

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2006, 12:21:41 PM »
It's a lifestyle choice like bodybuilding. I'd rather swim a mile vs run one though - it's a much better workout.

sarcasm

• Getbig V
  • The Luke loves Dungeons and Dragons
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2006, 01:25:14 PM »
It's a lifestyle choice like bodybuilding. I'd rather swim a mile vs run one though - it's a much better workout.

you couldn't do either with those chicken legs of yours, cluck, cluck, cluck!!!!!!!
Jaejonna rows 125!!

rufjunk

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2006, 01:43:34 PM »
To me, running is like bodybuilding to a certain degree.

Whenever you get a good pump in bodybuilding and you've exerted yourself, you get endorphins released into your blood stream and your on a "high" feeling.

The same holds true for running, if you sprint for a certain period of time, or even just do a form of cardio for a long time (basketball), endorphins are released too. Either way, it's a high feeling. Feels good. I usually feel this way after I've pushed myself, I enjoy doing that in both, running and weights..

Also running can be somewhat detrimental if you over-due it, you don't stand a chance in heck if you lift, don't consume much, and then run all the time, awfully hard to put on quality mass.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
This is most unfortunate for you but at the same time smacks of you tryin to justify not running. I run 4 times a week: twice as fast as i can for 20 mins and the other two times for 1 hr straight at a pace where its taxing but not to the point of discomfort. After months of this my legs are better than ever and any leg and back work where reps are high are not limited at all by my breathing capacity. I hate the idea of being muscular but unable to run, cycle or do any form of cardio to a decent standard, sort of like a sports car that looks good but performs like shit.

Moderate to hard biking after you workout doesn't cause you to lose strength or mass. You can still build very good cardio fitness. Running, ok let me be clear, "jogging" just plain makes you smaller and weaker. I used to sprint 100 meters on soft track, walk back, then sprint it again for 6 cycles when I was younger. That was beneficial. 45 minutes of jogging will kill your strength and mass quickly.
The House that Ruth built