Author Topic: 5 NYPD cops choke unarmed man to death  (Read 54697 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: 5 NYPD cops choke unarmed man to death
« Reply #350 on: December 24, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
the media DID talk about the chokehold being left out of the initial report.  I posted links from Huffpo and NY daily news, and it was on cnn and msnbc.

and just like ferguson, they hold off on the reports for months, because that's what they like to do.   People rioted over ferguson, they rioted/marched over the "i cant breathe" shoot.  They hold it, they always do.

NYPD already told us the choke wasn't in the report.  You can't argue it.
the huffpo article just states excerpts

you want to indict people without having ever seen what the report says?

typical libtard emotional response.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #351 on: December 24, 2014, 08:54:48 PM »
the huffpo article just states excerpt
you want to indict people without having ever seen what the report says?
typical libtard emotional response.

typical right-wing, police-lapdog response to not be a little angry that - for any reason - a chokehold is left out of a report when a man was dead right afterwards. 

I don't care where your politics lie - the man was dead due to what happened on the ground, and whoever "left it out" of the report, it's a big fcking deal.

hey man, you still believe obama was actually born in hawaii lol, so I shouldn't be surprised. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #352 on: December 25, 2014, 06:11:30 AM »
typical right-wing, police-lapdog response to not be a little angry that - for any reason - a chokehold is left out of a report when a man was dead right afterwards. 

I don't care where your politics lie - the man was dead due to what happened on the ground, and whoever "left it out" of the report, it's a big fcking deal.

hey man, you still believe obama was actually born in hawaii lol, so I shouldn't be surprised. 
so again without actually hearing or reading the report you are ready to indict someone based on a news article?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #353 on: December 25, 2014, 09:35:40 AM »
so again without actually hearing or reading the report you are ready to indict someone based on a news article?

Yes, I do believe the NYPD internal investigation team has a pretty good understanding of the situation.

I don't think they'd just make up some shit to make themselves look bad and rile people up. 

I'm not basing it on some news article, I'm basing it on the words of the NYPD team that investigated the NYPD.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #354 on: December 25, 2014, 09:48:20 AM »
Yes, I do believe the NYPD internal investigation team has a pretty good understanding of the situation.

I don't think they'd just make up some shit to make themselves look bad and rile people up. 

I'm not basing it on some news article, I'm basing it on the words of the NYPD team that investigated the NYPD.
you havent read the report, what youre basing it on is a article that cites excerpts but doesnt give the actual report.

You are ready to bring charges against someone without even hearing or reading what they said.

LMFAO just admit it 240

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #355 on: December 25, 2014, 11:05:41 AM »
you havent read the report, what youre basing it on is a article that cites excerpts but doesnt give the actual report.
You are ready to bring charges against someone without even hearing or reading what they said.
LMFAO just admit it 240

you're defending the police when even the police admitted wrongdoing. 

no point in arguing.

have a merry christmas, bro! 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #356 on: December 25, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
you're defending the police when even the police admitted wrongdoing. 

no point in arguing.

have a merry christmas, bro! 

I would at the very least hold my opinion until I have seen the report.

You are calling for arrests and punishment based on a news article from huffpo, LMFAO seriously guy you have mental issues

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #357 on: December 30, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »

Well, I'm trying to talk as a whole, especially given that probable cause doesn't require a lot.  I think that if an arrest is unjust, people should have a right to fight.  Most of the time though, the arrest will be held as valid given the low standard needed.

As for the systemic injustice, I agree, but that needs to come from changing the government.  Someone posted an article - I think here - about how as long as the court causes a delay, the clock stops.  So, there were people spending years in jail who had not even been given a trial and it didn't count against their right to a speedy trial cause the delay was on the part of the court.

That's injustice and it probably disproportionately affects minorities.

So, I can agree with what you're saying, I'm just concerned that the low standard for arrest would result in problems when confronting the cops in courts.

I think, you haven't thought that through. Who determines if the arrest is unjust. I guarantee you almost 99% of the people arrested tonight will feel it is unjust. No, the law is clear, because you believe the arrest is unjust gives you no right to resist. Your suggestion is really just asking for trouble. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #358 on: December 30, 2014, 02:09:04 PM »

True, they keep pointing that out.  Kinda curious if the officer's involved even have to write a report or if it's just done by the supervisors.

Everyone involved when there is a death would write a report. Anyone using force would write a "report". One officer actually writes the main report, the other officers add their supplements to the main report.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #359 on: December 30, 2014, 02:10:07 PM »
His supervisor left it out?   In that case, has the supervisor been suspended? 

Seriously, there is zero accountability with cops when they fudge reports

So I take it you haven't seen the report..

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #360 on: December 30, 2014, 04:40:14 PM »
I think, you haven't thought that through. Who determines if the arrest is unjust. I guarantee you almost 99% of the people arrested tonight will feel it is unjust. No, the law is clear, because you believe the arrest is unjust gives you no right to resist. Your suggestion is really just asking for trouble. 

No, it varies by jurisdiction and there are plenty where resisting unlawful arrest is allowed.

Here's Indiana as an example:
http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/5326619-Can-the-right-to-resist-become-a-license-to-kill/

Here's VA:
"It has long been held in Virginia that where an officer
attempts an unlawful arrest, the officer is an aggressor which
gives the arrestee the right to use self-defense to resist so
long as the force used is reasonable."
http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavtx/2917963.txt

You're might know Bad Elk...article points to 14 states where resisting unlawful arrest is still legal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Elk_v._United_States#cite_note-37

Your comments are just downright creepy.  People should just shut up, allow you to take away their liberty, even when it's clearly unlawful for you to do so?

Sorry, that's just disgusting.  The states which support it are disgusting.  And it's the very foundation of an argument for the Police State.

That mentality, IMO, has brought us to the very point we are at now with cops under the microscope.  You want obedience even when you're wrong.  That's just absurd, IMO.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #361 on: December 31, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »

No, it varies by jurisdiction and there are plenty where resisting unlawful arrest is allowed.

http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/5326619-Can-the-right-to-resist-become-a-license-to-kill/

Here's VA:

You're might know Bad Elk...article points to 14 states where resisting unlawful arrest is still legal.

Your comments are just downright creepy.  People should just shut up, allow you to take away their liberty, even when it's clearly unlawful for you to do so?

Sorry, that's just disgusting.  The states which support it are disgusting.  And it's the very foundation of an argument for the Police State.

That mentality, IMO, has brought us to the very point we are at now with cops under the microscope.  You want obedience even when you're wrong.  That's just absurd, IMO.

You apparently google a piece of info and post it as your supporting evidence. but when I read the articles in their entirety they end up supporting my position. Which leads me to believe you are trying a shotgun approach and not really all that interested in the facts.

your continued antogonistic attitude in what could easily be a civil discussion is quite tiring. When you feel you're ready to have a conversation on an adult level, you know where to find me.

Ag

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #362 on: December 31, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »

Here's VA:

You're saying if a person believes their arrest is unlawful, that person should resist arrest? 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #363 on: January 04, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »
You apparently google a piece of info and post it as your supporting evidence. but when I read the articles in their entirety they end up supporting my position. Which leads me to believe you are trying a shotgun approach and not really all that interested in the facts.

your continued antogonistic attitude in what could easily be a civil discussion is quite tiring. When you feel you're ready to have a conversation on an adult level, you know where to find me.

Ag

Oh brother.  A few things,

1.  People frequently post links, just as I did with the Philly case transporting trauma victims.  Usually, a blanket statement results in a post like, 'Link Please'.

2.  Nothing I posted supported you and it supported exactly what I said.

3.  Sorry if the words I use to describe my feeling are not approved by you - I don't give a fuck.  Here's you using the word 'disgusting' to describe people who don't know their rights.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=482458.0

Hypocrite much?  Grow the fuck up dude.

4.  Not only did you know that there are states where resistance is legal, you commented that Indiana's Right to Resist Law was a 'GOOD LAW'.

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=329944.msg6035060#msg6035060

5.  You don't engage in discussion.  Normally you say something stupid or flat out dishonest, and I clear the record with logic, facts, reasoning, and an occassional dash of analytical brilliance, after which time you slink away.

Now, as I've noted from the posted LINK above, you not only knew about people having a right to resist, you also called it a 'GOOD LAW'.

Please follow your standard MO, slink away, stop the hypocrisy, stop the crying, stop the trolling and grow up.

Sk

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #364 on: January 04, 2015, 07:12:21 AM »
You're saying if a person believes their arrest is unlawful, that person should resist arrest? 

If an arrest is illegal, I think people should have every right to resist.

The problem is, which I noted above, is that the justification for an arrest isn't much.  Hence, 9/10 times the cop is going to be in the right and the person resisting will be in even deeper shit.

So basically, my answer is yes, BUT the person better be damn sure they are in the right....so generally, it's not a wise course of action.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #365 on: January 04, 2015, 07:45:24 AM »

The problem is, which I noted above, is that the justification for an arrest isn't much.  Hence, 9/10 times the cop is going to be in the right and the person resisting will be in even deeper shit.

So basically, my answer is yes, BUT the person better be damn sure they are in the right....so generally, it's not a wise course of action.
thats the issue you have skip, the majority of people dont know the law. Shit andreisadipshit on here thought if cops put you in handcuffs that you were under arrest and they had to take you "downtown".

Like you said 9/10 times the cops are right in their justification for arrest. So if youre being arrested guess what? 9/10 times you have no right to bitch and moan.

and the 10th time isnt the time to resist and act an ass, b/c the cops will beat the shit out of you even if they were wrong. The time to bring it up is afterward when you have a lawyer.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #366 on: January 04, 2015, 01:14:43 PM »
thats the issue you have skip, the majority of people dont know the law. Shit andreisadipshit on here thought if cops put you in handcuffs that you were under arrest and they had to take you "downtown".

Like you said 9/10 times the cops are right in their justification for arrest. So if youre being arrested guess what? 9/10 times you have no right to bitch and moan.

and the 10th time isnt the time to resist and act an ass, b/c the cops will beat the shit out of you even if they were wrong. The time to bring it up is afterward when you have a lawyer.

It's the exceptions we're dealing with here though.  Even where it's legal to resist, it's not like cops are getting punched, slapped, and beaten whenever they try to arrest someone.

And, maybe I could be swayed as you're correct, fellow cops will show up and kick your ass even when you're in the right.  Then a mostly white grand jury or a mostly white jury will 'conveniently' side with cops...assuming the judge hasn't already tried to cover for the cops.

Aye...government just seems to get more and more over-bearing.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #367 on: January 04, 2015, 06:25:17 PM »

It's the exceptions we're dealing with here though.  Even where it's legal to resist, it's not like cops are getting punched, slapped, and beaten whenever they try to arrest someone.

And, maybe I could be swayed as you're correct, fellow cops will show up and kick your ass even when you're in the right.  Then a mostly white grand jury or a mostly white jury will 'conveniently' side with cops...assuming the judge hasn't already tried to cover for the cops.

Aye...government just seems to get more and more over-bearing.
of those exceptions what % do you think you the people being arrested had a justifiable reason to physically resist arrest?

seriously its like shooting someone, even when completely justified its better not to if its anyway avoidable. The headache and timesink that will result from it is just to much to go through if you can avoid it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »

Sounds like a recipe for lawlessness and chaos.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #369 on: January 06, 2015, 10:51:27 AM »
It's very difficult for me to value someone's opinion when they are at a place where they advocate if a person THINKS the arrest/charge is unlawful, they should have the right to resist. For me, their thinking is so far from rational that it becomes easy to discount anything else they have to say on the subject. But I'm trying to work past that..

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #370 on: July 14, 2015, 01:22:43 PM »
 :o

New York City Paying $5.9 Million to Family of Eric Garner
Monday, 13 Jul 2015

The family of a black man who died after being placed in a white police officer's chokehold reached a $5.9 million settlement with the city on Monday, days before the anniversary of his death.

Eric Garner's family in October filed a notice of claim, the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city, asking for $75 million.

Garner, who was 43, was stopped last July 17 outside a Staten Island convenience store because police officers believed he was selling loose, untaxed cigarettes. A video shot by an onlooker shows Garner telling the officers to leave him alone and refusing to be handcuffed.

Officer Daniel Pantaleo placed his arm around Garner's neck to take him down. Garner, who had asthma, is heard gasping "I can't breathe!" 11 times before losing consciousness. He was pronounced dead later at a hospital.

The city medical examiner found the police chokehold contributed to Garner's death. But a grand jury declined to indict the officer in the death. A federal probe is ongoing.

Chokeholds are banned by New York Police Department policy. Pantaleo says he used a legal takedown maneuver known as a seatbelt, not a chokehold.

Garner's death sparked demonstrations and became a flashpoint in a national debate about relations between police and minority communities.

While the city has a legal department that fields lawsuits, the comptroller's office also can settle claims. Comptroller Scott Stringer has made a point of doing that in civil rights cases, saying that resolving them quickly saves the city money on legal fees.

"Following a judicious review of the claim and facts of this case, my office was able to reach a settlement with the estate of Eric Garner that is in the best interests of all parties," Stringer said.

The city did not admit any liability.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said that hopefully Garner's family "can find some peace and finality" from the settlement.

"By reaching a resolution, family and other loved ones can move forward even though we know they will never forget this tragic incident," said de Blasio, who was scheduled to speak Tuesday at a church memorial service in Garner's honor.

Longtime civil rights attorney Jonathan Moore, the family's lawyer, said there also was a settlement with the Richmond University Medical Center, which responded to the scene. That settlement is confidential, and there was no one available at the hospital to comment. Moore said there would be a press conference Tuesday with the Rev. Al Sharpton and the family.

Sharpton said the settlement to the family was deserved but didn't resolve the larger questions around policing and minorities. He said a rally planned for Saturday calling for an expedited federal investigation into Garner's death would go on as planned.

"We did not march and build a movement just to get money," he said.

The city has reached settlements in other high-profile cases involving deaths of black men at the hands police officers. In 2004, the city agreed to pay $3 million to settle a lawsuit brought by the family of Amadou Diallo, who was shot by four police officers in 1999.

In 2010, the city agreed to pay $3.25 million to the estate of Sean Bell, who was killed in 2006 outside a strip club while leaving his bachelor party. Police had targeted the club for an undercover operation.

In January, the city settled with the family of teenager Ramarley Graham, who was shot by a police officer in 2012, for $3.9 million.

Last month, the comptroller's office agreed to pay $6.25 million to a man who spent nearly 25 years in prison before being exonerated in a killing that happened while he was more than 1,000 miles away vacationing at Disney World. A $6.4 million settlement was reached with a man exonerated in the 1990 killing of a rabbi.

Stringer also agreed to a $2.25 million payout to the family of a mentally ill inmate who died in a Rikers Island jail cell that sweltered to 101 degrees because of a malfunctioning heating system, and he helped put together a $17 million settlement in the case of three half-brothers who spent a combined 60 years in prison before their convictions were thrown out.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/garner-nypd-chokehold-settlement/2015/07/13/id/654792/#ixzz3ftlViCvS

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #371 on: July 14, 2015, 01:25:44 PM »
Not according to Eric Garners family

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #372 on: July 14, 2015, 05:09:34 PM »
:o

New York City Paying $5.9 Million to Family of Eric Garner
Monday, 13 Jul 2015

The family of a black man who died after being placed in a white police officer's chokehold reached a $5.9 million settlement with the city on Monday, days before the anniversary of his death.

Eric Garner's family in October filed a notice of claim, the first step in filing a lawsuit against the city, asking for $75 million.

Garner, who was 43, was stopped last July 17 outside a Staten Island convenience store because police officers believed he was selling loose, untaxed cigarettes. A video shot by an onlooker shows Garner telling the officers to leave him alone and refusing to be handcuffed.

Officer Daniel Pantaleo placed his arm around Garner's neck to take him down. Garner, who had asthma, is heard gasping "I can't breathe!" 11 times before losing consciousness. He was pronounced dead later at a hospital.

The city medical examiner found the police chokehold contributed to Garner's death. But a grand jury declined to indict the officer in the death. A federal probe is ongoing.

Chokeholds are banned by New York Police Department policy. Pantaleo says he used a legal takedown maneuver known as a seatbelt, not a chokehold.

Garner's death sparked demonstrations and became a flashpoint in a national debate about relations between police and minority communities.

While the city has a legal department that fields lawsuits, the comptroller's office also can settle claims. Comptroller Scott Stringer has made a point of doing that in civil rights cases, saying that resolving them quickly saves the city money on legal fees.

"Following a judicious review of the claim and facts of this case, my office was able to reach a settlement with the estate of Eric Garner that is in the best interests of all parties," Stringer said.

The city did not admit any liability.

Mayor Bill de Blasio said that hopefully Garner's family "can find some peace and finality" from the settlement.

"By reaching a resolution, family and other loved ones can move forward even though we know they will never forget this tragic incident," said de Blasio, who was scheduled to speak Tuesday at a church memorial service in Garner's honor.

Longtime civil rights attorney Jonathan Moore, the family's lawyer, said there also was a settlement with the Richmond University Medical Center, which responded to the scene. That settlement is confidential, and there was no one available at the hospital to comment. Moore said there would be a press conference Tuesday with the Rev. Al Sharpton and the family.

Sharpton said the settlement to the family was deserved but didn't resolve the larger questions around policing and minorities. He said a rally planned for Saturday calling for an expedited federal investigation into Garner's death would go on as planned.

The city has reached settlements in other high-profile cases involving deaths of black men at the hands police officers. In 2004, the city agreed to pay $3 million to settle a lawsuit brought by the family of Amadou Diallo, who was shot by four police officers in 1999.

In 2010, the city agreed to pay $3.25 million to the estate of Sean Bell, who was killed in 2006 outside a strip club while leaving his bachelor party. Police had targeted the club for an undercover operation.

In January, the city settled with the family of teenager Ramarley Graham, who was shot by a police officer in 2012, for $3.9 million.

Last month, the comptroller's office agreed to pay $6.25 million to a man who spent nearly 25 years in prison before being exonerated in a killing that happened while he was more than 1,000 miles away vacationing at Disney World. A $6.4 million settlement was reached with a man exonerated in the 1990 killing of a rabbi.

Stringer also agreed to a $2.25 million payout to the family of a mentally ill inmate who died in a Rikers Island jail cell that sweltered to 101 degrees because of a malfunctioning heating system, and he helped put together a $17 million settlement in the case of three half-brothers who spent a combined 60 years in prison before their convictions were thrown out.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/garner-nypd-chokehold-settlement/2015/07/13/id/654792/#ixzz3ftlViCvS

Good.  Only cops can kill a guy over a goddamn pack of smokes, smile and wave to camera after killing him (only to turn around the next day and pretend to be aghast at the fact that he took a life ::)  ), and walk away with no consequences.

5.9 million seems a little on the low side.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #373 on: July 14, 2015, 05:51:42 PM »

Good.  Only cops can kill a guy over a goddamn pack of smokes, smile and wave to camera after killing him (only to turn around the next day and pretend to be aghast at the fact that he took a life ::)  ), and walk away with no consequences.

5.9 million seems a little on the low side.

those cops are heroes, according to getbiggers who cannot type right now because they've giving HJs to LEOs as we speak.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #374 on: July 14, 2015, 06:42:40 PM »
Typical; cops don't pay out of their pockets, just send the bill to the taxpayer.