Author Topic: Food poisoning  (Read 9712 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Food poisoning
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2014, 09:55:09 PM »
Went to the doctor today

I'm 16 st 1

Looks like I'm gluten free for life

Which means I can't eat anything I like

Fuck

Did food poisoning cause you to become a celiac? Why are you just finding out that you are gluten intolerant?

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:01 PM »
Couple over the road from me get all their bread and pasta from the chemist on prescription, free fucking prescription at that.

I and every other fucking taxpayer is paying for their bread.
Why cant they just not eat gluten foods?
Cheeky c.unts.

What the...? Wow!
In Holland you could get a tax reduction when you have to eat GF, but getting that reduction is hard, virtually impossible. And the reduction is lowered every year now, so it's hardly worth to go after it.
I'll just wait for some GF sales and stock up...  :-[

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2014, 09:59:42 PM »
Couple over the road from me get all their bread and pasta from the chemist on prescription, free fucking prescription at that.

I and every other fucking taxpayer is paying for their bread.
Why cant they just not eat gluten foods?
Cheeky c.unts.

If you'd ever known someone who is gluten intolerant, you wouldn't ask this question. Talk about smelly shits and diarrhea, celiacs have it really bad.  

Simple Simon

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:13 PM »
If you'd ever known someone who is gluten intolerant, you wouldn't ask this question. Talk about smelly shits and diarrhea, celiacs have it really bad.  
errrr... just dont eat foods that contain gluten.
Dont expect me to be happy for me to pay for the alternatives.

Novena

• Getbig IV
  • "commonsense" shields us from the pain of thinking
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2014, 10:28:45 PM »
A company is working on a GMO wheat that has no gluten.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2014, 10:32:17 PM »

Well, in the U.S. (as best as I know) there are no prescriptions for gluten free diets and which are covered my government stipends.

Are you gluten intolerant? It seems to be the latest thing that people are obsessed about. Truth is if a person is not gluten intolerant, they actually need gluten in their diet. Be cautious not to fall for some craze that's in style. Our local high end market has a ton of gluten free foods. The fact that they are available there and not so much at the neighborhood Walmart should tell people something.

Simple Simon

« Reply #56 on: August 12, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »
Well, in the U.S. (as best as I know) there are no prescriptions for gluten free diets and which are covered my government stipends.

Are you gluten intolerant? It seems to be the latest thing that people are obsessed about. Truth is if a person is not gluten intolerant, they actually need gluten in their diet. Be cautious not to fall for some craze that's in style. Our local high end market has a ton of gluten free foods. The fact that they are available there and not so much at the neighborhood Walmart should tell people something.
Have a guess, based on my previuos posts.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2014, 12:33:41 AM »
Truth is if a person is not gluten intolerant, they actually need gluten in their diet.
ORLY? Any proof for this besides Dr. Oz or some such quack? You do realize that the eating of gluten from wheat is a relatively new development for humans, with large parts of the world not having it available until 100-200 years ago?

Our local high end market has a ton of gluten free foods. The fact that they are available there and not so much at the neighborhood Walmart should tell people something.
Yes, it tells you that poor people cannot afford avoiding to gluten.

Yes, it is also trendy to avoid gluten. But that does not mean there's nothing to it. I'll let Bertha take this one, as she is allergic to wheat. Not the same as gluten intolerance, but ten times worse. More like a peanut allergy, where she cannot even eat dextrose made from wheat.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2014, 12:55:59 AM »

Sometimes a lot harder than you think. About 80% of what you find in the supermarket contains gluten. Of course you have to skip bread and bakery stuff, cereals, candy, snacks and prefab meals.
And for the rest, you really have to check labels. Wheat starch is often used as thickener or filler in so many products. This starch can be gluten free (actually gluten low) or contain too much for a celiac. Corn starch is not always an alternative, because it can be contaminated with wheat/gluten (same mill?) Wheat flour is/was often used in herbs and spice mixes to add volume. Wheat is the basis for soy sauce, so anything with soy sauce is off your grocery list. Anything with broth is suspicious because it often contains gluten. You can't use normal broth cubes anymore. Hell, I even found a brand of tea that had traces of gluten in it, because they used pieces of dried fruit that might have some traces of wheat flour on them.

It also common to start the GF diet with a few months of lactose free too. Don't know about the UK, but here I found that most prepared chicken breast contains milk protein (and therefore lactose).

I agree.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2014, 01:03:03 AM »
Truth is if a person is not gluten intolerant, they actually need gluten in their diet.

I've heard that from some hippowhales in the gym, when they say an add for shirataki noodles. Low kcal, that's nice. Low carbs, that's probably nice. No gluten, oh no, you instantly die if you eat that!

Besides that, I haven't heard you should eat gluten. I haven't researched it, so perhaps this is bullocks, but my guess is it's a rumour started by food industries so they can keep on adding cheap wheat to anything and everything.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:27 AM »
I'm not celiac

I just show up wheat on the allergy test

I've had stomach problems for a while

I struggle with fatty red meats and dairy too

My favourite cheat foods are pizza and bacon sandwich

Gluten free pizzas are shit
T

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2014, 01:13:28 AM »
I'll let Bertha take this one, as she is allergic to wheat. Not the same as gluten intolerance, but ten times worse. More like a peanut allergy, where she cannot even eat dextrose made from wheat.

Luckily not as deadly. But it's a lot trickier to find wheat free food. Most celiacs can eat gluten free wheat starch, which is actually low gluten wheat starch. And except for some very sensitive celiacs, most can eat glucosesyrup and dextrose derived from wheat.
With a wheat allergy, you can not. And manufacturers do not always label where their starch, malt, maltsyrup, glucosesyrup or dextrose comes from. Could be wheat, could be corn, rice, potato, barly... And often times they just use what is cheapest at that moment. So, one batch can be safe, and the next not.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2014, 02:03:36 AM »
I think this one is easy enough...
Only tricky part is to find GF soy sauce. Kikkoman has a nice one that I use often. It's actually 'tamari', a slightly different sauce.

Chicken Teriyaki
- 300 g chicken thighs in cubes (or about 2 chicken breasts in cubes)
- 1 tablespoon GF soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon GF corn starch or potato flour

Mix soy sauce, water, ginger and honey and marinade the chicken cubes in it for an hour (in the fridge).
Place the cubes on skewers and roast them on the barbecue or in the oven (45 min on 220 degrees Celsius). In a hurry? Stir fry the pieces in a skillet.
Heat the left over marinade until it boils. Mix corn starch with some cold water and add to the sauce. It will thicken instantly, so keep stirring. Pour over the well done skewers. And serve with white rice and broccoli or any other vegetable.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2014, 02:18:52 AM »
This one is for left overs, so feel free to change the vegetables. It does require quite some chopping...

Cuban breakfast
- 3 potatoes, boiled and in bite size cubes
- 3 carrots in slices
- 500 g minced meat (chicken, beef, pork, or mixed)
- some salt and pepper
- 1-2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 6 tablespoon peas (I use frozen peas)
- 125 ml tomatosauce like passata
- some oil

- 4 eggs
- 4 small bananas (or preferably 2 plantains) in thick slices
- white rice or fried rice

Heat the oil and stir fry garlic and onion, add meat and fry until done. Add vegetables and sauce. Let it simmer a few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Meanwhile, fry eggs, cook rice and fry the banana slices. Serve warm.

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2014, 02:19:17 AM »
Went to the doctor today

I'm 16 st 1

Looks like I'm gluten free for life

Which means I can't eat anything I like

Fuck

How did he come to this conclusion?

You gonna get a 2nd opinion?

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2014, 02:24:32 AM »
In this topic everyone will discover why I'm fat... :P

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2014, 02:28:45 AM »
How did he come to this conclusion?

You gonna get a 2nd opinion?

my wife has been rattling on about me going gluten free for ages

when i got poorly i said id get tested

i just discussed it with the doctor about gluten free and he concurred

to be fair to him he is one of those docs that doesnt want to load you up on meds to treat the symptoms

but rather address the cause
T

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2014, 02:29:27 AM »
Filipino Chicken Tocino
- 500 g chicken thighs in cubes
- 3 garlic gloves finely chopped
- some salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons pineapple juice (or use apple juice or orange juice)
- 1 teaspoon GF soy sauce
- some oil

Mix juice, sugar, salt, pepper, soy sauce and garlic. Marinade chicken in it for an hour.
Heat oil and fry chicken.
Serve with fried rice, scrambled eggs, fried onion and tomato. (or plain rice and roasted onion and tomato for less fat)

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2014, 02:35:37 AM »
In this topic everyone will discover why I'm fat... :P

;D

And I haven't even started on the South African dishes. Those old fashioned chicken curry skewers with apricot, or pork chops with honey butter and vanilla potatoes. Or minced meat with 3 cheeses. Spaghetti pie with bacon and cheese... Buttermilk-cornbread...

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2014, 04:23:30 AM »
Maybe for the carb-addicted among us, you should post some starchy recipes. We both had problems letting go of the concept of eating bread and pasta, so some tips for that could be helpful. E.g. corn pasta, rice pasta products, etc.

Simple Simon

« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2014, 05:02:40 AM »
Sometimes a lot harder than you think.

Not that hard bearing in mind your wildly varied diet.

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2014, 05:06:53 AM »
Maybe for the carb-addicted among us, you should post some starchy recipes. We both had problems letting go of the concept of eating bread and pasta, so some tips for that could be helpful. E.g. corn pasta, rice pasta products, etc.

I still haven't found a satisfying recipe for GF bread. They turn out dry, heavy, flat, way to crumbly or just bland. The few occasions we do eat bread, it's usually a pre-baked bread by Schär.
http://www.schaer.com/en/gluten-free-products/bread
I highly recommend their Master Baker's bread, (mini) baguettes and ciabattines. (note: only the croissants do contain glutenfree wheat starch, the rest is wheat free)

For pasta I prefer this brand, although a bit pricey, it's texture is the best so far. It's made of 100% brown rice. And they have lasagna!
http://www.rizopia.com/

Orgran has some nice rice and corn pasta. But their cookies were awful...
http://www.orgran.com/products

Bertha Butt

• Getbig III
  • My happy pussy...
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2014, 05:20:27 AM »

And one of your favourites:

This sauce goes very well with Orgran's Chili Pasta Spirals.

Pasta with Spicy Chicken-Feta sauce
- 300 g chicken in cubes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4-6 big tomatoes, diced
- 1 can tomato puree
- 250 ml water
- 1 tablespoon GF chicken broth powder (I use Sublimix)
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1-5 teaspoons sambal (depends on how spicy you want)
- to taste: sugar, salt, spice
- 100 g feta, cubes
- some fresh parsley

Fry onion, chicken and garlic in some oil until done.
Add tomatoes and let simmer until all tomato pieces are 'melted'.
Add tomato puree, water and broth and let it simmer for another 15 minutes.
Add herbs, spices, and salt, pepper, sugar to taste.
Pour on all dente cooked GF pasta and garnish with feta and parsley.

Simple Simon

« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2014, 05:27:01 AM »
I think these recipes warrent their own thread
Bertha Butts belly busters (wheat free)