Author Topic: Strong in the gym but lack real world strength  (Read 5919 times)

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
Strong in the gym but lack real world strength
« on: October 23, 2014, 12:57:22 PM »
Just amazing to me how I can move around weight in the gym doing standard bodybuilding exercises.... no problem

however when it comes to real life applications of push, pull, lifting, moving,  even as little as arm wrestling I have the strength of a 100lb girl...

I need to completely stop working out the way the "books" tell you.. but no clue what to do from here..

anyone know of a person who experienced something similar??? strength in the gym doesnt equal strength outside

Yev33

• Getbig III
Re: Strong in the gym but lack real world strength
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
In my experience if you focus on free weights, weighted bodyweight movements (chinups, dips), and limit your use of straps,  the strength gains in the gym will carryover into your everyday life.

But if you focus mainly on machines then I could see how this could become an issue. But then again if someone is mainly using machines, its pretty difficult to determine how strong you actually are in the gym. Since the amount of weight you  can lift depends on the leverages of the machine.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:13:39 AM »
Good advice from Yev33.

Of course, like most guys with a question about training, you didn't tell us details of the training style you are currently following. Or other training methods in the past. Just that you have a problem.

Any type machine does not always transfer over to every day functional (over used word..I know) strength. Far from it actually. I'll work with a few middle age, to older gentlemen, from time to time, and will include dips and chins (as Yev33 suggest) as basic exercises. Starting with negative versions at first until building up the ability to do positive reps. 6 to 8 positive reps are all that is required when getting into a regular routine with these two movements. Add weight later if you wish.

For these older men, will include BB cleans (with the bar only...which may take a little time for some new trainee's to learn...than add weight) which can increase balance, timing and confidence for men not use to lifting. One legged step-ups, with less stress on the lower back and gaining better balance, are also included..

There's an old theory about moving a body in space , which can develop more strength and muscle size. Dips & chins being prime examples. Machine pulls and pushes are cool and all that, but if your required to use some functional strength in everyday life, might not be up to the task. Would also suggest most any form of free weight training, with the highlight on DB training.

Good Luck
F

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 09:53:08 AM »
I work as a mechanical fitter in ship repair, and even when I was at my biggest/strongest some of my labourers still out did me at work in some situations, especialy in enclosed spaces or hanging heavy chainblocks with your arms out stretched... some people just have brute bear strength, with the only training being actual work and lifting pints of beer to there mouths for reps on a night time

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 11:21:14 AM »
Yev hit it spot on. Especially straps. Guys can deadlift 400# with straps but can't pick up a 100# bag of cement off the floor.

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 06:20:28 PM »
There are two guys that I used work with who were extremely strong. Both were pretty big guys, giant wrists. There is no doubt in my mind that if these guys trained with weights they would be moving some serious weight in the gym. Some people have the right genetics for strength sports but just couldn't be bothered with it.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 02:29:08 AM »
I work as a mechanical fitter in ship repair, and even when I was at my biggest/strongest some of my labourers still out did me at work in some situations, especialy in enclosed spaces or hanging heavy chainblocks with your arms out stretched... some people just have brute bear strength, with the only training being actual work and lifting pints of beer to there mouths for reps on a night time
This is true. some of these guys work hard all day and have endurance.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:18 AM »
Reminds me of a few linemen and defensive ends in football (American) I've know and played with. Some Rugby players also.

Seen the reverse a few times of strong in the gym, outside a gym...not so much.. Guys who couldn't bench 220 one rep, if their life depended on it. Or hi-pull much over that weight. And in game time throw running backs and offensive blockers around like rag dolls. Push-pulling with super strength. Or running backs knocking over would be tacklers.

Not that these men aren't serious about training, just don't see the need to overextend themselves in the weight room. No use burning themselves out, they know how strong they are and what they can do. Game time comes around, that killer mode goes into affect. Not strong in the gym because they don't have to be...game time is what really counts.

Old saying in sports: don't leave your game in the workout room. Might apply to boxers very well also.

Good Luck.
F

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Hardly touched a weight when Boxing years ago. I was if i remember correct i was 74 Kilos. Bodyweight stuff, Sparring...Running...Run ning...Running. Running across the tank ranges in snow wearing Army Boots. I donīt think i had strength over for weights.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2014, 10:10:20 AM »
A lot of what is athletic real world strength is really defining power. Power is related but separate entity from strength. How many guys guys can bench 400lbs and punch a heavy bag like they are a little girl and the little body weight exercise guy hits it like a mule?  Power is how quickly you can unload release your strength so to speak. 

Things that build power are things like olympic lifts, jumps, sprints, free hand body weight exercises, deep squats, clean and press and others.

If you do nothing else in your bodybuilding routine why not throw in something like 3 sets of 3 reps of power cleans?  Maybe a one hand dumbbell snatch? It will build power, vertical leap, speed, strength and the ability to handle a free moving object. Never met a guy who had a decent power clean that was slow. Some of the fastest sprinter I knew worked the power clean hard.

TheGrinch

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
A lot of what is athletic real world strength is really defining power. Power is related but separate entity from strength. How many guys guys can bench 400lbs and punch a heavy bag like they are a little girl and the little body weight exercise guy hits it like a mule?  Power is how quickly you can unload release your strength so to speak. 

Things that build power are things like olympic lifts, jumps, sprints, free hand body weight exercises, deep squats, clean and press and others.

If you do nothing else in your bodybuilding routine why not throw in something like 3 sets of 3 reps of power cleans?  Maybe a one hand dumbbell snatch? It will build power, vertical leap, speed, strength and the ability to handle a free moving object. Never met a guy who had a decent power clean that was slow. Some of the fastest sprinter I knew worked the power clean hard.
awesome advice... thanks.. will definitely try to incorporate some of that =-)