Author Topic: My friend seems to be happiest in his "forever alone/single" life  (Read 41671 times)

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
Re: My friend seems to be happiest in his "forever alone/single" life
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2015, 07:00:45 AM »
In the words of ESPN Gameday's , Lee Corso ; " Not so fast my friend."

1. Yup, plenty of butt hurt men/women say that upon breaking up.

2. BUT, there are some exceptions. For example, my maternal grandparents were married for 76 yrs.
He went first at age 99 and she passed a yr later. My mom said, they were holding hands in the back seat when she was taking them for a scenic drive, during the last month he was alive.

That kind of love is rare and wonderful. Not everyone is the same, sorry. ;)

My parents have been married over 30+ years. My grandparents both sides been together since teenagers. So I hear ya on that one.

But I laugh when someone says "I can't live without you" and then 2 months later has a new partner and is going around saying "love of my life". A lot of people just feel they need to be with someone to validate their existence. It's the true definition of a follower.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »
Yeah, there are guys who are approaching middle age, single and still having a great time but they are usually the exceptions. From what I've seen, the majority of guys who are single and middle aged tend to be awkward betas who can't (and never have) had much success with women.
If you re-read the posts from Radical Pluto, it seems to me that the guy is single more down to just being unable to get a woman - and is now trying to twist it by saying how he hates "modern" women and prefers being alone. ::)
I have never had any trouble getting a woman, I have only been single for the first time in my life for the last year, prior to that I was in a ten year relationship and prior to that had a couple of long term relationships.  It has been the best year of my life, and after my twenty five year experience of being in relationships, I can confirm they offer very little for a man in the long term.  I am 42 and still in great shape, I ride, run, lift, hike, swim etc and get plenty of attention from women, but I have no intention of disrupting my serene and supreme way of life by hooking up with a woman my age, who will be close to menopause, more than likely have kids and a host of issues about her failed relationships.  

Not only this, why would anyone want to sleep with these women when there are plenty of young hot chicks out there gagging for it.  Like I said, men will always want to fuck hot young chicks, regardless of their age.  Men who claim to have a great sex life and their wife is 40 plus are lying or the exception to the rule.  Show me a man who would choose a 45 year old menopausal used up women over a hot twenty something and I will show you a liar or a man with a milf complex.  
V

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2015, 07:07:11 AM »
My parents have been married over 30+ years. My grandparents both sides been together since teenagers. So I hear ya on that one.

But I laugh when someone says "I can't live without you" and then 2 months later has a new partner and is going around saying "love of my life". A lot of people just feel they need to be with someone to validate their existence. It's the true definition of a follower.

I try to live by the wisdom of the "Serenity Prayer" ( I'm not a Christian but I believe in GOD).

" Lord, provide me the courage to change the things I can, accept those things I can't change and the wisdom to know the difference "

I combine that with my own basic wisdom of : you can't help how you FEEL, but you can control what you do and say.

JediTerminator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2015, 07:08:42 AM »
I try to live by the wisdom of the "Serenity Prayer" ( I'm not a Christian but I believe in GOD).

" Lord, provide me the courage to change the things I can, accept those things I can't change and the wisdom to know the difference "

I combine that with my own basic wisdom of : you can't help how you FEEL, but you can control what you do and say.

Friend of Bill W.?

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2015, 07:11:00 AM »
Fair enough although I think making predictions on what you will look like in 20-30 years time is a gamble. I think settling down eventually and starting a family is a rewarding experience for any man although I admit that I can't understand when rich, good looking men get hitched in their 20's.

Well... it's a gamble, but I think everyone would admit that they somewhat "know" the personal "value" in this market. Looks, ambitions, potential in achieving goals.. we all have this kind of inner guess.
 I'm still not sure about the rewarding part, but don't reject that idea for sure. It's a big gamble too though, very big. Spending 20-30 years with one person is a damn serious deal with quite a high risk of a failure.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2015, 07:13:39 AM »

Not only this, why would anyone want to sleep with these women when there are plenty of young hot chicks out there gagging for it.  Like I said, men will always want to fuck hot young chicks, regardless of their age.  Men who claim to have a great sex life and their wife is 40 plus are lying or the exception to the rule.  Show me a man who would choose a 45 year old menopausal used up women over a hot twenty something and I will show you a liar or a man with a milf complex.  

One fella I know who has been in a succesfull marriage for about 14-15 years said to me some once "If you will ever marry, make sure your wife is at least 8 years younger. Thank me later.". His wife is 10 years younger if I'm not mistaken.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: May 27, 2015, 07:18:07 AM »
I have never had any trouble getting a woman, I have only been single for the first time in my life for the last year, prior to that I was in a ten year relationship and prior to that had a couple of long term relationships.  It has been the best year of my life, and after my twenty five year experience of being in relationships, I can confirm they offer very little for a man in the long term.  I am 42 and still in great shape, I ride, run, lift, hike, swim etc and get plenty of attention from women, but I have no intention of disrupting my serene and supreme way of life by hooking up with a woman my age, who will be close to menopause, more than likely have kids and a host of issues about her failed relationships.  

I hear ya and found that was my experience after I last got divorced 9 yrs ago.
I'm no stud, but I had little trouble going out with attractive woman of all ages when single.
Sexual adventures and dating are fun, but for me, it lacked "something".
I could have gone on like that and been fine, but I didn't.
To me the whole dating thing was like going to an amusement park.
It's fun to take rides on the roller coaster and see the sights, etc.
Then you're back to square 1, so you repeat the cycle the next day, ad naseum.
For me, that got old.

I ended up dating and then marrying a pretty , successful woman , who is only 2 yrs younger.
I'm the happiest I've ever been, and for me, life is as good as it gets.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2015, 07:25:53 AM »
One fella I know who has been in a succesfull marriage for about 14-15 years said to me some once "If you will ever marry, make sure your wife is at least 8 years younger. Thank me later.". His wife is 10 years younger if I'm not mistaken.

I met my 3rd wife , at a gym , right after she graduated from college at 21. I was 35.
She went to grad school while we were married and then worked as a licensed psychologist. I always thought she was sexy.
By the time she got in her 30's, she had changed and that's normal.
Those changes led to a divorce and that's life.

Moral to the story : Being in a relationship with a younger woman has some perks, but they change and that can lead to a relationship train wreck.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #233 on: May 27, 2015, 07:33:17 AM »
I'm no stud, but I had little trouble going out with attractive woman of all ages when single.
For me, that got old.

I ended up dating and then marrying a pretty , successful woman , who is only 2 yrs younger.

the mayor thinks otherwise...

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #234 on: May 27, 2015, 07:38:04 AM »
For me, that got old.

I never say never, but for now I am happy to be single and feel no compulsion to 'find someone'.  I have many interests that keep my life full and I no longer suffer from the overwhelming lust typical of youth that literally forces you to seek out a female companion.  I think I have always aspired to a solitary life, I grew up with two older bothers and two younger sisters and never enjoyed the experience, I was always wanting to be away from them and not spend time with them, mind you my family of origin was very dysfunctional.  I think because of my dysfunctional upbringing it led me to attract the wrong type of mate and it was only through my few attempts at love failing it made me realize I actually enjoy being alone, like really enjoy it.  I find it brings me peace and stability, I no longer have any sudden emotional upheaval caused by my other half taking their shit out on me.  Nor do I miss the 'control' women like to assert over their partners. 

Maybe it is just me, and I was the problem, well I am OK with that because I truly love living on my own.  I often wonder if people stay in relationships even though they are shitty is because people prefer what they are used to as opposed  to the fear of change, the unknown or being alone.  Better the devil they know.

V

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: May 27, 2015, 07:40:54 AM »
Friend of mine I've mentioned before when the marriage subject came up.. serial marrier.. just told me he is engaged to be married in November. Just got divorced for the second time from his current wife... this will make marriage #7...but THIS IS THE ONE... Kinda sad.. 

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2015, 08:02:20 AM »
I met my 3rd wife , at a gym , right after she graduated from college at 21. I was 35.
She went to grad school while we were married and then worked as a licensed psychologist. I always thought she was sexy.
By the time she got in her 30's, she had changed and that's normal.
Those changes led to a divorce and that's life.

Moral to the story : Being in a relationship with a younger woman has some perks, but they change and that can lead to a relationship train wreck.

She started to want kids I suppose?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2015, 08:16:01 PM »
She started to want kids I suppose?

Nope, but the first 2 did.
The 3rd one wanted to live a more "independent lifestyle" ; translation - I want to screw around.
I wasn't that pissed off , but figured wtf and simply got divorced without much drama.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: May 28, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
Nope, but the first 2 did.
The 3rd one wanted to live a more "independent lifestyle" ; translation - I want to screw around.
I wasn't that pissed off , but figured wtf and simply got divorced without much drama.

If you've never looked up the stats for divorce among 1st, 2nd, 3rd marriages it's an eye opener. One would think after your first marriage, you are older, wiser and know what you want.. yet.. the stats get considerably worse after the 1st marriage. Point being Howard.. don't get too comfortable with this one... I'm not mocking you, I'm in a similar boat

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: May 28, 2015, 01:32:06 PM »
If you've never looked up the stats for divorce among 1st, 2nd, 3rd marriages it's an eye opener. One would think after your first marriage, you are older, wiser and know what you want.. yet.. the stats get considerably worse after the 1st marriage. Point being Howard.. don't get too comfortable with this one... I'm not mocking you, I'm in a similar boat

Trust me , I live well grounded in reality.
I do the best I can and take it one day at the time.

" Life is like a get big thread, you never want you're gonna get" :D

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: May 28, 2015, 02:48:26 PM »
Trust me , I live well grounded in reality.
I do the best I can and take it one day at the time.

" Life is like a get big thread, you never want you're gonna get" :D

Sounds like you got it under control then... and good luck.. hope this one works out

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Dont wanna hijack this thread but my wife and I were arguing over kids today. She wants them, me...not so sure. Any benefits of having kids or are there none? Im not the type who needs kids to fill some void or hole in my life. She on the other hand, the kids fills the hole of being an only child

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2015, 03:02:32 PM »
Dont wanna hijack this thread but my wife and I were arguing over kids today. She wants them, me...not so sure. Any benefits of having kids or are there none? Im not the type who needs kids to fill some void or hole in my life. She on the other hand, the kids fills the hole of being an only child
Your genes live on? That's why you're here. We are all animals...

devilsmile

• Getbig V
  • Hows life? Please, do tell.
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2015, 03:23:02 PM »
Your genes live on? That's why you're here. We are all animals...

what a horrible motive for having kids since it does not make any sense.

when you die you don't care whether or not you made some college drop out who has a dead end job to carry "your name". It would neither make any difference if your kid made a multi trillion company. You're dead!

We may be animals but not that much.

Believers think that having a family is the meaning of life because god said so. Non believers think that you should have kids because you're an animal and animals make offsprings to carry on their genes. Both sound utterly fucking stupid imo, there is no logic in neither. You are fucking DEAD, nuigah!

The only logical reason to have kids is a poetic one, and that's love. To see life grow and loving that life and giving that life everything you have and more. That is it. You don't make kids for legacy!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2015, 03:35:42 PM »

I've read these statistics too. I guess a lot of folks don't learn from their mistakes.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:43 PM »

Many men have little interest in having children. Many women are very keen on having them. It's probably part of their maternal nature.

I wanted a son because I felt the need to pass on the family name. My grandfather, father, me and my son all have the same name. My dad was an only son, I am an only child and my son is an only son. Passing down names is somewhat antiquated. My son and his wife chose not to name their only son after is father, so the tradition ends.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #246 on: May 29, 2015, 12:41:13 PM »

Man, if you don't really really want a child, I would advise against it. It is a lot of work, very challenging at best and unless your whole heart is in it, it can be overwhelming. On the other hand, for those who really want kids, it's always worth it all in the end and the joy and memories are priceless.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: May 29, 2015, 12:43:12 PM »
I've read these statistics too. I guess a lot of folks don't learn from their mistakes.

It's weird. I'm semi intelligent, realistic and logical. Yet I'm on my 3rd marriage at 52. THIS one is the one... etc etc. I KNOW it's not a financially good move, yet I do it anyways... 

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #248 on: May 29, 2015, 01:11:35 PM »
Man, if you don't really really want a child, I would advise against it. It is a lot of work, very challenging at best and unless your whole heart is in it, it can be overwhelming. On the other hand, for those who really want kids, it's always worth it all in the end and the joy and memories are priceless.

Thanks man, im just in a pickle because men can have kids at any age..my wife in her early thirties, u only have a certain window of opportunity. The problem is, maybe down the road i will want one, but at the moment i have literally ZERO interest. The thought of having that added expense and responsibility just seems dreadful (and im early thirties with a reasonably lax career, decent money). I hvae no fatherly instinct or drive. I do love my dogs though. So i understand my wifes position as well, since she wants them and has to endure my ass with "well maybe he will want one, but if he doesnt then im screwed

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #249 on: May 29, 2015, 02:12:02 PM »
Had that discussion myself 2x and in the end there is no middle ground or compromise.
If you really have an inner yearning to father children, then by all means, go for it.
BUT, if you don't or have doubts, it will likely morph into endless hrs of drudgery.

Choice A - She caves and gives up on her desire to have kids. That could lead to resentment on her part.

Choice B - Man caves and has kids with her. When parenting gets stress ( as it will ) he'll resent her for having 'em.

THERE IS NO COMPROMISE ON THIS ONE.

I ended up divorced the first 2x on this exact issue and never had regrets or resentment.
Good luck.