Author Topic: I've been retired for one month- 58  (Read 8933 times)

oldgolds

• Getbig IV
Re: I've been retired for one month- 58
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2015, 07:11:45 AM »
Soon, you're gonna be bored shitless....I retired at 53 and regret it...

Mrdibbs

• Getbig III
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »
retired

pork chops, said my father, I love pork chops! and I watched him slide the grease into his mouth.
pancakes, he said, pancakes with syrup, butter and bacon! I watched his lips heavy wetted with all that.
coffee, he said, I like coffee so hot it burns my throat! sometimes it was too hot and he spit it out across the table.
mashed potatoes and gravy, he said, I love mashed potatoes and gravy! he jowled that in, his cheeks puffed as if he had the mumps.
chili and beans, he said, I love chili and beans! and he gulped it down and farted for hours loudly, grinning after each fart.
strawberry shortcake, he said, with vanilla ice cream, that’s the way to end a meal!
he always talked about retirement, about what he was going to do when he retired.
when he wasn’t talking about food he talked on and on about retirement.
he never made it to retirement, he died one day while standing at the sink filling a glass of water.
he straightened like he’d been shot. the glass fell from his hand and he dropped backwards landing flat his necktie slipping to the left.
afterwards people said they couldn’t believe it. he looked great. distinguished white sideburns, pack of smokes in his shirt pocket, always cracking jokes, maybe a little loud and maybe with a bit of bad temper
but all in all a seemingly sound individual never missing a day of work.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:01 AM »
Congrats on your retirement. I'm within 12 months of pulling the plug myself. Just looked at a property in Playa Del Carmen to spend the 1st 6 months on the beach at. Kinda nervous. I'll be 53 and should have enough money to live comfortably, but ironically, it feels similar to the unknown of getting out of the military after 10 yrs.. the unknown is scary sometimes. Report back on how it goes. 

judochoke

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »
well I'm not bored yet. still getting my routine down. yes, i did retire a little early, but fuck it. I'm going to enjoy myself and my grandkids now. smoke a little weed, drink
a little tequila, just relax. i earned it after 33 years.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:14 AM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2019, 05:17:42 PM »
well I'm not bored yet. still getting my routine down. yes, i did retire a little early, but fuck it. I'm going to enjoy myself and my grandkids now. smoke a little weed, drink
a little tequila, just relax. i earned it after 33 years.

Update?

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2019, 06:40:43 PM »
Congrats on your retirement. But I must ask, did you switch from your regular news channel to CNN now because your not working?

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2019, 06:43:58 PM »
Congratulations man/ enjoy yourself!!

tres_taco_combo

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2019, 07:15:15 PM »
when you hit 62 take out a reverse mortgage - i am not kidding you.

if you have a mortgage if you refinance your forward loan into a reverse and no longer required to make a payment

if your home is free and clear - take out a reverse mortgage line of credit - it is access to tax free capital that grows (sexy compound effect) - have the funds ready to go. - use it finance long term care, vacations, never touch your qualified accounts

i am not bullshitting you here. the reverse mortgage is a game changer and here to stay.

i do these for a living - if you have questions PM me and ill send you my cell  - only do them in AZ/CA but i will gladly answer any questions you have.

also get a part time job. i am not kidding -  i work with retired folks and the happiest ones work 15-20 hours a week.

i could write a case study on lives of retired people. stay active as fuck!!!! seriously - good luck -

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2019, 07:27:47 PM »

if you have a mortgage if you refinance your forward loan into a reverse and no longer required to make a payment

if your home is free and clear - take out a reverse mortgage line of credit - it is access to tax free capital that grows (sexy compound effect) - have the funds ready to go. - use it finance long term care, vacations, never touch your qualified accounts

i am not bullshitting you here. the reverse mortgage is a game changer and here to stay.

i do these for a living - if you have questions PM me and ill send you my cell  - only do them in AZ/CA but i will gladly answer any questions you have.

also get a part time job. i am not kidding -  i work with retired folks and the happiest ones work 15-20 hours a week.

i could write a case study on lives of retired people. stay active as fuck!!!! seriously - good luck -

I don't know much about reverse mortgage, doesn't apply to me

I do know quite a bit about being retired. I have many co worker/friends that are retired. what I have found is there are a couple things that affect your "get a part time job". 1. is the personality of the person. Are they A personalities that always need to be busy. and 2. How much money do they have? Because some people are never happy unless they have a mission.. that could be a part time job at Home Depot. Others are perfectly happy with no obligations., the Other is do you have enough to travel? Because there is a difference with someone who has a retirement income of 2K a month and their options, and someone with 20K a month. So a part time job advice is contingent upon those things. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2019, 08:00:16 PM »
Hey guys, I'm glad this thread came up and I really didn't want to say anything. Last summer Judochoke sent me an email asking if he could tag along on my weekend walks (During the spring and summer months I'll do a 5-6 mile walk from my house onto the boardwalk at HB) and of course, I said yes. He lives fairly close to me. Since that day I haven't heard from him, seen him post or on his IG where he would always leave me kind comments, talk about his grandkids, etc. Seems he just disappeared which kind of worries me. Tried emailing back to no answer.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 09:06:01 PM »

Since your in the business, I'm not surprised you think they are a good idea.  Others disagree. If this is how you want or need to finance your retirement, then in some cases it may be the way to go. However, there are many other circumstances when a reverse mortgage is not advised. Speak to a financial planner or an estate lawyer before you approach a lender. There's a reason older folks like me with considerable equity in their homes get constant spam mail, email and phone calls from lenders offering reverse mortgages. None of these lenders are looking to do you a favor. They are looking to make money off your real estate equity.

Check this link out before you sign on the dotted line. https://www.bankrate.com/mortgages/reverse-mortgage-scams/

Unfortunately, many people don't plan well for their senior years and they come up short on retirement income to cover their expenses. If you have no heirs or you plan to leave nothing to the ones you have and you need the income to get by, then a reverse mortgage might be a good choice. I have an old friend who never married, alienated all of his friends, never had kids and can't stand his only sister. He planning on taking out a reverse mortgage. One thing working against him is a history of mismanaging his finances and then bailing himself out by using the equity in his home. For him, a reverse mortgage if not needed is a dangerous solution. Once his house is hocked, he will have nothing to borrow on the next time he gets himself in a pickle. Anyway, since he's already borrowed against the equity in his property, he may not even qualify for a reverse mortgage.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2019, 09:11:46 PM »
I've been retired for 4 years. Truth be told I had better workouts when I was working. I just made everything so focused to come home from work and know you had a very limited window to get that workout in. Now I'm lying in bed saying to myself get that leg workout in. Maybe another half hour on get big.

I agree with you. Work in itself is a routine, so going to the gym can easily become part of that routine. When I worked, I'd go straight from work to the gym. Now that I'm retired I can go anytime and I'm more likely to put it off. This is not how I thought it would workout.  :o

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2019, 09:17:30 PM »
Congrats on the retirement and pension!

The push to convince people to work longer is due to social security being on a course to be all gone in a few years. People are living longer and longer, and governments and corporations are having more and more difficulty with social security and pensions.

I don't expect to get a dime from social security, much less for it to support me in old age. If I get a few bucks from it in 25 years, great. If not, great. I've taken care of retirement already myself.

You are right, nothing is for sure. It's best to cover your bases by having a variety of retirement income sources. The longer you work, the more you'll get back from social security, your pensions and likely most investments. On the other hand, the older you get the more likely you are to get sick or die. Find a balance between the two that works best for you.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2019, 09:24:08 PM »
Then he might really get depressed and end it all.
I know I've come close to jumping off the bridge.

Do you mean the bridge over your Koi pond?

keanu

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2019, 10:04:39 PM »
Hey guys, I'm glad this thread came up and I really didn't want to say anything. Last summer Judochoke sent me an email asking if he could tag along on my weekend walks (During the spring and summer months I'll do a 5-6 mile walk from my house onto the boardwalk at HB) and of course, I said yes. He lives fairly close to me. Since that day I haven't heard from him, seen him post or on his IG where he would always leave me kind comments, talk about his grandkids, etc. Seems he just disappeared which kind of worries me. Tried emailing back to no answer.

He still posts here and there. Sounds like he is lifting heavier than ever, and busy enjoying life. 

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2019, 11:33:25 PM »
Planning my escape now. Age 52. House has been paid off for 10 years.
I paid my 2 kids colleges off with planning (many years) and cash, no loans.
2 years ago my employer signed a 10 year lease. If I'm still there, I have 8 more years. Retire at age 60. (But not collect on anything until the proper time to collect maximum - 67).
Been in my 401K program for 30 years now, the figure that added up over time is staggering. (Company match, how can you beat free money)?

Any young folks here, if you have a choice to get in on a 401K, do it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2019, 01:16:21 AM »
Planning my escape now. Age 52. House has been paid off for 10 years.
I paid my 2 kids colleges off with planning (many years) and cash, no loans.
2 years ago my employer signed a 10 year lease. If I'm still there, I have 8 more years. Retire at age 60. (But not collect on anything until the proper time to collect maximum - 67).
Been in my 401K program for 30 years now, the figure that added up over time is staggering. (Company match, how can you beat free money)?

Any young folks here, if you have a choice to get in on a 401K, do it.

Couldn't agree more. Contributing to my company's deferred Comp program early on was a significant player in being able to retie at 53

ratherbebig

• Getbig V
  • if you got more than 10k you're gay
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2019, 04:24:15 AM »

Last Active:   March 14, 2019, 10:30:45 PM

OlympiaGym

• Getbig IV
  • they/them/their
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2019, 04:54:34 AM »

Nope. Make your home(s) part of your financial legacy to your heirs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 05:28:27 AM »
Retired here too. I work part time. In my spare time I hit the gym hard. Don't take the equity out of your house with a reverse mortgage. When you die your children won't be taken care of and will be shocked to learn your house is almost valueless. I love my big house and pool but it's a money pit of taxes. In time I will buy a tiny house completely paid off and put the equity in my pocket. From there I will buy a luxury car and take trips two to four times a year. When I die I will have cash for my kids.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I ate an entire box of popsicles the day prior
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2019, 05:48:45 AM »
Congrats on the early retirement JC.

Pretty sure I won't be retiring a day before 65 at the least  :-\

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
after 33 years at my job, i retired last month. and i have to say its pretty good not working anymore. no more working graveyard shifts, no more 12 hour days, no more 60 hour weeks.
i was a refrigeration mechanic, retired at 58. pension payments start July 1. now I'm getting at least 8 hours of sleep, going to one gym at 6 am to walk on the treadmill for 40 minutes. come home,
read the paper, check CNN, check the internet. eat breakfast, work around the house. back at the gym at 2 pm for my main workout.

the main thing for me is now I'm able to time all of my meals to the minute. I'm almost eating like a pro bodybuilder, but not as much food.
strength is going Thur the roof. probably because of the good sleep.

just have to wait 4 years for social security to kick in.
                                           everyday is saturday now, good for you.
see you in the gym :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
F

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2019, 06:35:54 AM »
Should I ever be able to retire, I know for a fact that I won't be (as the OP stated) "timing my meals". 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2019, 06:38:22 AM »
Retired here too. I work part time. In my spare time I hit the gym hard. Don't take the equity out of your house with a reverse mortgage. When you die your children won't be taken care of and will be shocked to learn your house is almost valueless. I love my big house and pool but it's a money pit of taxes. In time I will buy a tiny house completely paid off and put the equity in my pocket. From there I will buy a luxury car and take trips two to four times a year. When I die I will have cash for my kids.

Well said. I suppose if you have no one, then it might make sense to go the reverse mortgage route but I am hoping that I can ultimately move to a smaller, single story home in another state (I despise Kommiefornia) and pay cash for it and then take my time seeing the USA in my Chevrolet (small homage to Dinah Shore!).