Author Topic: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?  (Read 26064 times)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
Re: Personal trainer a dumb career choice?
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2016, 07:35:03 AM »
Someone charging the higher rate is running their business well and has developed great clientele.

I get that a great personal trainer isn't a rep-counter/cheerleader but that's probably what most people want. A friend struggled getting his training business off the ground despite having a masters in kinesiology.

But here lies the problem. He has the degree now he just needs to learn business. Even after I stated that personal training is all of what you make it, I'm still hearing 'They're lowlifes and use it as a way to sell gear" "It's not a real job" "There is  no stability' (when In fact there is less stability in most  trades) it comes down to either you can run a business or you can't. Most of the people making these comments are only kidding themselves but like either in the trades or starting out in a personal training business you're not starting at the top. If you're in the trades your wage tops out unless YOU become the owner/contractor and then you're starting all over again because now you have to learn the business end of it. I know because I was a laborer, foreman, superintendent and contractor. 

Bulgarian_enforcer

• Getbig III
  • Kill em all...
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2016, 07:40:43 AM »
if you hustle hgh/aas you can make good buck while personal training. :)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:43 AM »
if you hustle hgh/aas you can make good buck while personal training. :)

Funny how the very next post proved my point ::)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »
The gyms/clubs want Certificates for insurance purposes, but, the clients generally don't care. So, if you want to get certified, I would contact gyms in the area and see what they recognize.

Well, yeah, most clients don't know anything about certificates, etc. Its all for liability, in case the gym gets sued. But, if you can help people reach their fitness goals, that is all they care about.

I think the issue becomes when you train someone long enough, they reach their fitness goals, and learn enough to train on their own. They then no longer need a personal trainer. Thus, you're assuming that there will be a revolving door of people.

I think its also better for a gym to have sales people that recruit potential clients for the personal trainers, instead of having the PT's do it themselves.
X

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »
Well, yeah, most clients don't know anything about certificates, etc. Its all for liability, in case the gym gets sued. But, if you can help people reach their fitness goals, that is all they care about.

I think the issue becomes when you train someone long enough, they reach their fitness goals, and learn enough to train on their own. They then no longer need a personal trainer. Thus, you're assuming that there will be a revolving door of people.

I think its also better for a gym to have sales people that recruit potential clients for the personal trainers, instead of having the PT's do it themselves.

One of the gyms I used to train at does this, and take a 50% cut of what they charge.
a

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2016, 07:53:02 AM »
I am thinking about getting a NASM cert because fuck it. The class would be fun.

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2016, 08:03:05 AM »
I am calling bullshit on this. Southwest only flies 737s and the UNION pay scale is based on the curb weight of the equipment with the 747-400 being the most lucrative. You friend is blowing smoke up your ass. A captain on Southwest is LUCKY to be making 6 figures.

Union scale is not based upon curb weight. I've seen his pay stubs and how they structure his pay. Every airline has it's own deal. Some companies pay more than others. It's like any field.

Captains also make more than FOs. He is at the top of the pay scale for SWA, but not anywhere near the top of the seniority list, so therefore, he still has to wait for the trips to be plucked up by the more senior captains before he can select his trips for the month.

FYI, the 777 guys are typically the highest paid, not the 747 he said.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2016, 08:05:06 AM »
I am thinking about getting a NASM cert because fuck it. The class would be fun.

I am also thinking about getting a NSASM cert as well.
X

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:36 AM »
One of the gyms I used to train at does this, and take a 50% cut of what they charge.

But ALL gyms take a cut.
X

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
Union scale is not based upon curb weight. I've seen his pay stubs and how they structure his pay. Every airline has it's own deal. Some companies pay more than others. It's like any field.

FYI, the 777 guys are typically the highest paid, not the 747 he said.

I have a friend who was a captain/FO on the 777 for American flying South American routes out of Miami. He sure as fuck wasn't pulling down more than $200k.

OB1

• Getbig IV
  • "Happiness equals reality minus expectations."
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2016, 08:15:21 AM »
©

NelsonMuntz

• Getbig V
  • Getbigs Most Positive Member March&October 2017
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »
LOL 1:02.....

"

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2016, 09:55:33 AM »

So tell them you charge $10 and give them $5!
?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2016, 10:17:21 AM »
The problem with personal training is that almost every gym will not allow you to free lance in their gym. If you work for chain gym most will pay you chump change and expect quotas on how many you get to sign up for personal training.

If you train people at your house and they get hurt they can sue your home owners insurance and if they win the home owner's insurance will sue you because the house was never insured for commercial purposes and it could violate town zoning laws.

Training one person at a time require too much time. It seems the ones making money train a group. Two personal trainers operate at a park by me.  They have groups of people waiting on them.  I really can't figure out why these dopey clients pay these trainers? One has them run about 200 yards then stop and do their pushups. Next 200 yards on the trail they stop for mountain climbers and so on.  The other sets up cones like a football training does and have them sprint the cones. It seems he is doing drills from football training.

Unless you live in a high end area where people will throw money at you for personal training it's a tough way to make a livable income. I know one female that is making insane money but she works in Manhattan with high end clients. I think she pays the gym to let her work her clients out there.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2016, 10:22:47 AM »
The problem with personal training is that almost every gym will not allow you to free lance in their gym. If you work for chain gym most will pay you chump change and expect quotas on how many you get to sign up for personal training.

If you train people at your house and they get hurt they can sue your home owners insurance and if they win the home owner's insurance will sue you because the house was never insured for commercial purposes and it could violate town zoning laws.

Training one person at a time require too much time. It seems the ones making money train a group. Two personal trainers operate at a park by me.  They have groups of people waiting on them.  I really can't figure out why these dopey clients pay these trainers? One has them run about 200 yards then stop and do their pushups. Next 200 yards on the trail they stop for mountain climbers and so on.  The other sets up cones like a football training does and have them sprint the cones. It seems he is doing drills from football training.

Unless you live in a high end area where people will throw money at you for personal training it's a tough way to make a livable income. I know one female that is making insane money but she works in Manhattan with high end clients. I think she pays the gym to let her work her clients out there.

To anyone wanting to get into PT'ing, better enjoy putting people through routines like described above.
?

Rambone

• Getbig V
  • “Billy’s taking Art? What the hell for?”
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2016, 11:07:55 AM »
To anyone wanting to get into PT'ing, better enjoy putting people through routines like described above.

Depends on your training philosophy.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:50 AM »
Depends on your training philosophy.

Indeed. It's not mine, but mine would repel most. People are now officially scared to get "too big" it seems now.

Why not just have them subb for some moving company, have them move people' sshit, have them pay to do it, and make money from them having moved people's stuff.

Society is stupid enough to fall for that now I think!
?

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2016, 11:29:02 AM »
Indeed. It's not mine, but mine would repel most. People are now officially scared to get "too big" it seems now.

Why not just have them subb for some moving company, have them move people' sshit, have them pay to do it, and make money from them having moved people's stuff.

Society is stupid enough to fall for that now I think!

As far as our general clientele we mix it up and write the program to fit their desired results, it's just not one sided training. If they want to bodybuid, compete in fitness or figure I place them with a trainer that specializes in just that, general fitness/weight loss another trainer that specializes in that and strength, conditioning, speed work usually it's me.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: February 12, 2016, 11:31:03 AM »
As far as our general clientele we mix it up and write the program to fit their desired results, it's just not one sided training. If they want to bodybuid, compete in fitness or figure I place them with a trainer that specializes in just that, general fitness/weight loss another trainer that specializes in that and strength, conditioning, speed work usually it's me.

Your gym does seem to be a fuckin' awesome place to train man! Not trolling here but I sense you hire qualified people and not the drones we see in most gyms.
?

grubbiergoose

• Getbig II
« Reply #95 on: February 12, 2016, 12:35:15 PM »

I was just looking it's expensive just for fun.

You need to recertify every 2 years plus take continuing education courses for a total of 2.0 points. All the cheap classes are only worth like .3 points so it's basically around $500 every two years to keep it once you get it.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #96 on: February 12, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »

You should hire Flintstones. Problem solved. 

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2016, 12:59:30 PM »
You should hire Flintstones. Problem solved. 

Quick, fly him in first class!
?

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2016, 01:53:06 PM »
He's a fucking moron

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2016, 03:28:30 PM »
$30 per hour and not guaranteed 40 or $150-250 per hr guaranteed?
More lies. Your website lists 8 1 on 1 sessions for $320, so $40 per session. Giving you the benefit of the doubt that sessions are 30 min, I'm sure no human being could stomach your presence for more than 1/2 hour, so that's $80 per hour. Now, after costs, a plumber makes more than you, as he should.