Author Topic: How much $$$ to give as a wedding present?  (Read 5093 times)

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
Re: How much $$$ to give as a wedding present?
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
$0.00

Any wedding that costs the guests money to attend negates them having to provide cash.  The expenses they incur to be at your wedding is their gift. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:56 AM »
Fuck out-of-state people who have the gall to invite me to their goddamn weddings and expect me to waste my hard-earned travel money!   >:(  I think it's more polite NOT to invite me!

x2.  Do not attend.

Most people have limited time off work and limited funds.  And what little you have is supposed to be spent attending a party for a couple that is likely to call it quits?  I think not.

True story: couple I know decided to have a wedding on a Caribbean island.  I was invited but declined to attend.  Dozens of guests spent time and money flying in from thousands of miles away to watch them say I do.  Less than two years later the marriage was over.  The bride is now on husband number two and few people--even family members--recall the name of husband number one.  ::)

The second wedding was a very modest affair.  I didn't attend that one either.

Doug_Steele

• Getbig V
  • I'm totally Brolic, bro!
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »

You're joking right? They asked for a present?

I someone is having an out of state wedding let alone an out of the country wedding they shouldn't expect gifts to recompensate them for their damn wedding.

They asked for gifts and for us to spend our own money on a flight to Spain! I saw some of the gifts they asked for and some were like a Samsung washer and dryer (stainless steel none the less) and expensive as hell appliances, dishes, new TV, etc,...
D

Kim Jong Bob

• Getbig V
  • KIM JONG IL ORIGINAL BEATIFULL MAN WITH GLASSES
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2016, 07:49:45 AM »
Take a couple hundred bucks.

Put it in a 7 year CD and if they are both still married, they can take the money and go.

If not, it comes back to you.
haha nice

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2016, 10:21:24 AM »
I hate when people invite me to their weddings and then say "hey can you you bring your camera with you? Cause they are to cheap to hire a photographer and know i shoot weddings to. Then they get pissed when i say im going there to" enjoy" your wedding and not work.

Yeah. That's bullshit.

It just means they are too cheap to hire a photographer. I have seen that kind of thing and I hate it. Absolutely hate it.

You're a friend, you're not supposed to be working.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2016, 10:49:24 AM »
No way I'm spending 2K on attending a wedding. It's not the money although that would be hard to part with for something like a wedding. It's the principle of it. I'd be embarrassed to ask my friends to attend my wedding knowing it will cost them even half that. 

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »
No way I'm spending 2K on attending a wedding. It's not the money although that would be hard to part with for something like a wedding. It's the principle of it. I'd be embarrassed to ask my friends to attend my wedding knowing it will cost them even half that. 

X2. I would feel bad asking me friends to take the two hour $300 flight to Vegas even.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2016, 04:38:07 PM »

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2016, 04:41:14 PM »
Or don't go

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:21 PM »
x2.  Do not attend.

Most people have limited time off work and limited funds.  And what little you have is supposed to be spent attending a party for a couple that is likely to call it quits?  I think not.

True story: couple I know decided to have a wedding on a Caribbean island.  I was invited but declined to attend.  Dozens of guests spent time and money flying in from thousands of miles away to watch them say I do.  Less than two years later the marriage was over.  The bride is now on husband number two and few people--even family members--recall the name of husband number one.  ::)

no shit right?  I was asked to attend a couple years ago to an out-of-state.  Thankfully my work has horrid deadlines per gig, so i was able to conveniently use that as an excuse.  "Hey, attend your wedding or I lose my job?"  When put that way, they usually shut up :D 

A friend of mine was invited twice to his friend's wedding--an extravagant one in France (he DID attend and blew a boatload of money--bad move since my friend eventually ended up being unemployed and broke later), and than AGAIN by the same guy who wanted to "do a celebration in the US for friends who couldn't attend France."  The gall of some people   >:(

Sexual Mustard

• Getbig III
  • DC Comics Pro and TEAM MUSCLECENTER
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2016, 06:48:24 PM »
X2. I would feel bad asking me friends to take the two hour $300 flight to Vegas even.

ugh, was just asked this last week, to attend a bachelor party in Vegas later this summer.  I think I'll conveniently "run into work deadlines" that weekend ;)

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2016, 07:05:37 PM »
Why not just look at the registry and give the equivalent of one of the nicer items?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #62 on: May 31, 2016, 07:07:02 AM »
I think anytime someone out of state or country asks you to be in their wedding party that they also need to include a plane ticket and hotel voucher with that invite.  Kind of bullshit to ask a friend to be in the wedding party expecting them to dole out thousands to be there where the majority of people will just spend $10 in gas.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2016, 07:54:14 AM »
It's hilarious.

Used to be, weddings cost the parents of the groom a boatload of money.

Now everyone, including the fuckin' guests, is emptying their wallets.

Tens of thousands so some broad can be star for a day and receive a hot blast of jizz to the face back at the hotel to "consummate" (oh brother) the marriage.

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2016, 08:03:49 AM »
I am getting married next year. (I know, I know  :-[)
3 of my groomsmen will be from out of state (one will be coming from a different continent)
I think I will offer to rent their tuxedos, and provide them with a place to stay at the reception site so they can truly enjoy the alcohol and bridesmaids. Probably get them a really good bottle of whiskey/scotch.

So they just have to make their own travel plans and show up.
Luckily the wedding will be in a stone's throw from our hometowns so they can justify the trip to see family as well.

a

d0nny2600

• Getbig V
  • http://i.imgur.com/mCzI3N5.jpg
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2016, 09:02:36 AM »
x2.  Do not attend.

You are a good man. I hate weddings

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2016, 09:09:53 AM »
3 of my groomsmen will be from out of state (one will be coming from a different continent)
I think I will offer to rent their tuxedos, and provide them with a place to stay at the reception site so they can truly enjoy the alcohol and bridesmaids. Probably get them a really good bottle of whiskey/scotch.

Luckily the wedding will be in a stone's throw from our hometowns so they can justify the trip to see family as well.

Don't just offer to pay for Tux and Hotel but do it.  Tell them up front that you're covering the cost and even offer to help with airfare. 

Yamcha

• Getbig V
  • Fundie
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »
Don't just offer to pay for Tux and Hotel but do it.  Tell them up front that you're covering the cost and even offer to help with airfare. 

Only one will be flying. and he will be coming from fucking Peru. ($800 + round trip, economy)
He is my current roommate and an idiot. Just graduated college with a degree in political science (30k + in student loans). And he is going to teach abroad; to go "find himself" with his Art Major g/f. Prime example of that generation though.

Needless to say, the wedding will go on if he can or can't afford the damn plane ticket. That money would come out of my Honeymoon funds. Fuck it, I'm selfish. 
a

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »

Take care of the tux expenses and hotel for the wedding night (assuming they'll be staying with family the rest of the time).  You'll likely be getting a group discount on the tuxes and rooms.  The dude from Peru may have an issue taking liquor back with him.
:

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2016, 11:03:45 AM »
Take care of the tux expenses and hotel for the wedding night (assuming they'll be staying with family the rest of the time).  You'll likely be getting a group discount on the tuxes and rooms.  The dude from Peru may have an issue taking liquor back with him.

Nope.  No group discount for tuxes.  Each person pays their own.  These places don't give a fuck about group discounts since they have people lining up to give them money all summer long for weddings.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2016, 12:51:42 AM »
I stopped going to weddings 25 years ago. Close friend, or distant acquaintance, I never gave more than 100.00... Stupid F'ing customs.
Sort of like wakes / funerals... I just dont go to 'em...

KnightXavi

• Getbig III
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2016, 06:43:09 PM »
shit, i wouldn't give him any money, just a bottle of johnnie walker blue label and call it a day.

Exactly!!

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2016, 07:01:45 PM »
It's hilarious.

Used to be, weddings cost the parents of the groom a boatload of money.

Now everyone, including the fuckin' guests, is emptying their wallets.

Tens of thousands so some broad can be star for a day and receive a hot blast of jizz to the face back at the hotel to "consummate" (oh brother) the marriage.

I think you have that backwards.  Traditionally, the father of the bride pays for the wedding... and in the really old days he had to cough up a dowry too.

You are a good man. I hate weddings

I don't hate weddings; I just think they have gotten way out of control... with family members and guests spending money they do not have... couples focusing on the wedding and not the marriage (hence the break up a year or two later)... devoting money to the wedding, yet the couple cannot afford to buy a decent home... etc.

btw, I'd marry Stan Efferding.  :P

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2016, 07:02:13 PM »
Should give them a box of condoms and tell them not to be stupid and bring a child into this fucked up world.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2016, 07:13:37 PM »
Should give them a box of condoms and tell them not to be stupid and bring a child into this fucked up world.

;D

If it's a traditional Greek wedding, that would be hilarious during the money dance
: