Author Topic: Top 15 Democratic presidential candidates in 2020  (Read 420181 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Top 15 Democratic presidential candidates in 2020
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
2020 Democratic Frontrunners Vote To Keep Government Shut Down
BENNY JOHNSON
Reporter At Large
01/22/2018

Eighty-one senators voted to reopen the federal government Monday afternoon, handing President Trump and the Republicans a big win. Democrats in the Senate let the government shut down the over Republicans not including permanent legalization for illegal immigrants who came to the U.S. as minors in a spending bill.

The government shutdown withheld payment for armed service members and military families whose sons or daughters died in combat. The blame for the shutdown was swiftly turning on the Democrats, and their leaders agreed to a deal to open the government on Monday

However, eighteen senators voted to continue to keep the government closed. A large portion of that group has 2020 aspirations. Cory Booker, Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren all voted to continue the shutdown. The odds-makers all list the above democrats as favorites to run in 2020.

The full list of senators who voted ‘No’ on the bill passage:

After the vote to reopen, Trump said in a statement:

I am pleased that Democrats in Congress have come to their senses and are now willing to fund our great military, border patrol, first responders, and insurance for vulnerable children. As I have always said, once the Government is funded, my Administration will work toward solving the problem of very unfair illegal immigration. We will make a long-term deal on immigration if, and only if, it is good for our country.

Look for this vote to come up in 2020.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/22/2020-democratic-frontrunners-vote-to-keep-government-shut-down/

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
Paul and Lee voting no as well? Must still be a high spending "budget"? They are usually levelheaded.

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2018, 06:52:01 PM »
Yep, just read Paul's explanation. That guy sticks to what he believes that's for sure. Has a backbone.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2018, 03:49:40 PM »
Biden bashes Trump as 'bully,' touts liberal credentials amid 2020 speculation
By Alex Pappas   | Fox News

Former Vice President Joe Biden on Wednesday described President Trump as the “neighborhood bully” while touting his own liberal credentials during a speech to Democratic lawmakers that appeared aimed at keeping his foot in the door for a potential 2020 run for president.

“Since when do we give hate safe harbor in America?” Biden said in a speech to Democrats at the Capitol. “Since when are we leaving so many people behind? Guys, this president is doing great damage.”

The former Democratic senator and vice president under former President Barack Obama accused Trump of pushing a “closed and clannish nationalism” and an “ugly and phony populism.” He also called out the president for his trademark derogatory nicknames to political critics.

“Don’t act like the neighborhood bully, talking down to ‘Little so and so’ or ‘Fat so and so,’” Biden said. “I mean, my God. He’s the president of the United States of America.”

2020 DEMS PLAY TO THE BASE BY VOTING TO EXTEND GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN

He accused Trump of viewing everything through a selfish lens.

“We have a president who is consumed by his political survival,” Biden said. “It’s the beginning, the middle and the end. Everything is run through the filter of how it affects Donald Trump in Donald Trump’s mind.”

“Since when do we give hate safe harbor in America? Since when are we leaving so many people behind? Guys, this president is doing great damage.”
- Joe Biden
Biden also accused Trump of “shredding some of our core values” and cited the president’s attacks on the press.

“I mean there’s an all-out attack on the guys wearing the striped shirts: the press and the courts,” he said. “It is a technique that’s been used repeatedly throughout history by those who want to clear the field so they’re in a position to be able to abuse power.”

Biden unsuccessfully sought the Democratic nomination for president in 1988 and 2008 but opted against a campaign in 2016. The 75-year-old, who has not ruled out a run in 2020, called for Democrats “to remain united as a party, and not be divided.”

“I will challenge any of you to put my progressive credentials of 36 years in the Senate up against any of you,” Biden said. “Any of you. I’ll also suggest that my commitment to growth of the middle class is as strong as any of you.”

Biden also pointed out how he and Obama won in places that Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton lost during the 2016 election.

“By the way, you know, all these so-called racists who voted against us last time out?” Biden asked, telling Democrats to “remember a black man and an Irish Catholic kid” won in many of the places where Trump beat Clinton.

“But for 72,000 votes, we wouldn’t be having this discussion,” he said. “72,000 votes.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/07/biden-bashes-trump-as-bully-touts-liberal-credentials-amid-2020-speculation.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 04:24:55 PM »
If this uncharismatic extremist becomes the nominee, they might as well start planning Trump's 2020 inauguration already. 

Kamala Harris: ‘I Support’ Oakland Mayor Who Helped Criminal Illegal Aliens Evade Deportation ‘100 Percent’
Libby-Schaaf-Kamala HarrisAP Photos
by JOHN BINDER
10 Mar 2018
Washington, D.C.

Senator and potential 2020 Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris (D-CA) says she “100 percent” supports Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf’s (D) decision to help criminal illegal aliens evade deportation ahead of a raid by federal immigration officials.

During a fundraiser for the YMCA’s “Y for Youth Luncheon,” Harris defended Schaaf, who made national headlines last month when she warned criminal illegal aliens of a coming raid in Oakland by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency.

Subsequently, Schaaf helped many criminal illegal aliens with sex crime convictions, drunk driving convictions, and armed robbery convictions escape arrest and deportation.

Harris defended Schaaf, saying “I think Mayor Schaaf is doing exactly what she believes is in the best interest of her community, and I support that 100 percent,” according to the San Francisco Chronicle. The liberal senator said the Trump administration was attempting to “roll back the clock” by enforcing federal immigration laws.

“This administration is using our tax dollars to engage in a political game instead of what’s in the best interest of Californians,” Harris said.

Harris’s defense of Schaaf’s warning to criminal illegal aliens is at odds with a plurality of Americans who say that Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ Department of Justice (DOJ) should prosecute Schaaf for obstruction of justice.

A plurality of swing voters, about 40 percent, agreed that Schaaf should be prosecuted for warning criminal illegal aliens ahead of an ICE raid.

Most recently, Breitbart News exclusively reported how the sanctuary state of California is likely responsible for at least 5,000 crimes that were committed by criminal illegal aliens who were released by the state rather than being handed over to ICE agents for deportation.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2018/03/10/kamala-harris-i-support-oakland-mayor-who-helped-criminal-illegal-aliens-evade-deportation-100-percent/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2018, 04:26:04 PM »
Good.  But I would like the see the results of a DNA test. 

Warren: No to White House bid, DNA test; says heritage 'part of who I am'
Joseph Weber By Joseph Weber   | Fox News

Some on the left and right are calling on Senator Elizabeth Warren to take a DNA test to straighten out questions about Native American heritage; radio host Howie Carr weighs in.

Massachusetts Democratic Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Sunday ruled out a 2020 presidential run and taking a DNA test to prove Native American ancestry -- an issue that has nagged her Senate campaigns and would almost certainly create problems in a White House bid.

“I’m not running for president,” Warren, a champion of the Democratic Party’s progressive wing, told “Fox News Sunday.”

When asked Sunday whether she’d agree to calls for genetic testing to resolve the heritage controversy, Warren launched into a family history, as purportedly told by her parents and grandparents, before saying, “It’s a part of who I am, and no one’s ever going to take that away.”

Warren, who is seeking a second Senate term this year, has been accused of saying she is of Native American heritage to help in securing jobs, including one as a Harvard law professor.

She has acknowledged identifying as a minority, but denies using such status to help advance her career.

President Trump has repeatedly called Warren, a Wall Street critic and potential White House rival, “Pocahontas,” a notable American Indian woman in colonial history, to highlight the controversy.

“Let me tell you a little bit about my family,” Warren said Sunday. “My mom and dad were born and raised out in Oklahoma, and my daddy was in his teens when he fell in love with my mother.

“She was a beautiful girl who played the piano. And he was head over heels in love with her and wanted to marry her. And his family was bitterly opposed to that because she was part Native American.

“And eventually my parents eloped and they survived the Great Depression, they survived The Dust Bowl. They went through a lot of hard times. They raised three boys, my older brothers, all of whom went off to the military.

"They raised me. They knocked around and it was tough but they hung together. They hung together for 63 years. I know who I am because of what my mother and my father told me, what my grandmother and my grandfather told me, what all my aunts and uncles told me and my brothers.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/11/warren-no-to-white-house-bid-dna-test-says-heritage-part-who-am.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2018, 09:57:33 AM »
Cherokee genealogist casts doubt on Elizabeth Warren's story of parents' elopement
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/14/cherokee-genealogist-casts-doubt-on-elizabeth-warrens-story-parents-elopement.html

But The Washington Times reported that Cherokee genealogist Twila Barnes wrote in a 2016 blog that the story doesn't make sense. Barnes, who has researched Warren's family and found no evidence of Native American ancestry, researched the marriage of Pauline Reed and Donald Herring and found it appeared to be an ordinary wedding.

“The problem with Warren’s story is that none of the evidence supports it,” Barnes wrote. “Her genealogy shows no indication of Cherokee ancestry. Her parents’ wedding doesn’t resemble an elopement. And additional evidence doesn’t show any indication of her Herring grandparents being Indian haters.”

The wedding was performed by a prominent Methodist clergyman, not a justice of the peace, Barnes found. She also noted that a detailed wedding announcement was posted in the local newspaper in Wetumka, Oklahoma.

“If Ms. Warren’s parents eloped due to her mother being ‘Cherokee and Delaware’ and it was such a disgrace, why did they rush back to Wetumka the same day they were married and proudly announce it to everyone?” asked Ms. Barnes. “If there was shame associated with the marriage and it caused so many problems, why was it happily announced in the local paper?”

residue

• Getbig V
  • Adonis 3:16
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2018, 11:00:01 AM »
I am not a big Corey Booker fan, but put him on the ticket and the black, latino and young person turnout increases and favors Hillary.  Corey Booker has the ability
to connect with voters unlike Hillary and Kaine. 

didn't he run into a burning building or something?

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2018, 06:47:43 PM »
Cherokee genealogist casts doubt on Elizabeth Warren's story of parents' elopement
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/03/14/cherokee-genealogist-casts-doubt-on-elizabeth-warrens-story-parents-elopement.html

But The Washington Times reported that Cherokee genealogist Twila Barnes wrote in a 2016 blog that the story doesn't make sense. Barnes, who has researched Warren's family and found no evidence of Native American ancestry, researched the marriage of Pauline Reed and Donald Herring and found it appeared to be an ordinary wedding.

“The problem with Warren’s story is that none of the evidence supports it,” Barnes wrote. “Her genealogy shows no indication of Cherokee ancestry. Her parents’ wedding doesn’t resemble an elopement. And additional evidence doesn’t show any indication of her Herring grandparents being Indian haters.”

The wedding was performed by a prominent Methodist clergyman, not a justice of the peace, Barnes found. She also noted that a detailed wedding announcement was posted in the local newspaper in Wetumka, Oklahoma.

“If Ms. Warren’s parents eloped due to her mother being ‘Cherokee and Delaware’ and it was such a disgrace, why did they rush back to Wetumka the same day they were married and proudly announce it to everyone?” asked Ms. Barnes. “If there was shame associated with the marriage and it caused so many problems, why was it happily announced in the local paper?”

Twila ... there's a name that brings back GetBig memories.
K

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2018, 09:16:54 PM »
First article I've ever read about this guy.  I have a friend in New Orleans who thinks he is terrible.  Interested to see what he brings to the table. 

The Southern Democrat who could shake up the 2020 field
‘I think he’s a remarkable talent … on the Bill Clinton, Barack Obama scale,’ says one admirer of New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu.
By EDWARD-ISAAC DOVERE 03/21/2018

Mitch Landrieu is pictured. | Getty Images

Mitch Landrieu is spending his final year as mayor serving as president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, traveling the country as he leads a bipartisan rejection of the Trump administration‘s policies on infrastructure, immigration, health care and more. | Sean Gardner/Getty Images

Mitch Landrieu isn’t, for the moment, getting ready to run for president. But that’s not stopping the Democrat who led the rebuilding of New Orleans from speaking out against institutional racism and what he calls the “nightmare loop” that links Donald Trump to David Duke.

With a media tour for his new book, “In the Shadow of Statues” (out Tuesday), and after headlining this month’s media-fest Gridiron Dinner in Washington, Landrieu knows he’s kept people talking. Monday night on “The Daily Show,” he smiled through a long burst of applause when Trevor Noah pitched him on 2020. Ridiculous as he and everyone around him knows it is to think about a New Orleans mayor making a serious bid for the White House, they also see the unique profile he’d have in a huge Democratic field concentrated on the coasts — the white Southern liberal who loves wrestling and musical theater, and looks like he could blend right in at a Trump rally.

Barack Obama has taken note of Landrieu’s record as mayor and a speech he gave last year on removing Confederate monuments. The former president has said privately that he could see the appeal of a bald white guy from Louisiana talking up progressive politics in a smooth Southern accent. Though Obama is far from signing up, some notable players in his orbit are daydreaming of finding the next unlikely superstar and making it happen.

Landrieu sees the situation. He says he just doesn’t necessarily see himself as the solution.

“The country’s in a dark hour. My commitment has always been to do what I can to help,” Landrieu said. “You never say never. At the moment, I can’t see a pathway.“

And he knows he’s laying out what sounds like a platform. The subtitle of his book, a frank account of racism in America, is “A White Southerner Confronts History.” It includes tough words about the failures of politics to stop discrimination. In one passage, Landrieu points out that on the campaign trail, Ronald Reagan condemned the murders of civil rights workers, but that he then approved a budget that served pickled relish as a vegetable in poorer public schools.

He also knows, according to a person close to him, that running statewide in red Louisiana would likely be impossible after some of the decisions he’s made and constituencies he’s catered to as a strongly Democratic mayor. Also that his father, former New Orleans Mayor Moon Landrieu, sometimes regrets not having run for president himself.

Landrieu hasn’t raised money or hired any consultants or conspicuously campaign-minded aides. But he does have his prominent cheerleaders with local roots, like Louisiana native and former interim Democratic National Committee chair Donna Brazile, who said he’d be “a fantastic candidate.”

“We all know had Hillary Clinton won, Mitch Landrieu would have been a candidate for several Cabinet appointments,” Brazile said, stressing that she wasn’t making an endorsement. “But given the circumstances, I think it’s important to keep his eyes open and see which way the wind will blow in 2020.”

“It’s one thing to run for president, and it’s another thing for people to take you seriously. He clearly falls into the second category,” said James Carville, the Clinton political guru. “I think he’s a remarkable talent ... on the Bill Clinton, Barack Obama scale. The more people see him, the more people will like him.”

They’re not the only ones.

“I think he could have a really strong appeal as somebody who would run entirely outside of the Washington, D.C., ecosystem, and I think there’s a real hunger for that among Democrats. He fits that bill, and others do as well,” said Mitch Stewart, Obama’s Iowa field director in 2008 and battleground states director in 2012. “In a field of 15 to 20 candidates, in the first couple of states, you don’t need to get 50 percent. Can your posture, can your values as a candidate — would 15 to 20 percent be enough to prove viability? The calculus is different than in 2008 and 2016.”

Stewart added, “He would be one of the few candidates who I think could appeal to the African-American community and the white working class.”

In 2010, after moving his family back to New Orleans and feeling distraught at the state of the city, Carville talked Landrieu into a late entry into the mayor’s race with a poll that showed he’d win easily, despite his three previous losses for the job.

Carville said he’ll try to be that convincing again.

“I’ll do my best, because I’d like to see him run,” he said.

Landrieu’s book tour is taking him all around the country, ahead of an enormous tricentennial bash in New Orleans just before his term ends in May.

“I think people in the country are thirsting for an answer for how we get out of where we are and get us to where we need to be,” Landrieu said. “This has less to do with me, than can we please find somebody to really run the country … to get us out of this seemingly manufactured chaos that we’re in and get us to some security.”

He contrasted Trump’s record with his own experience leading a city devastated by Hurricane Katrina and wracked by years of mismanagement that’s now on the rise. New Orleans, Landrieu said, is “a city that is ascendant that used to be descendant.”

Landrieu is spending his final year as mayor serving as president of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, traveling the country as he leads a bipartisan rejection of the Trump administration‘s policies on infrastructure, immigration, health care and more. He said Washington needs to pay closer attention to the performance of mayors from both parties.

“The question we have to ask ourselves is why Washington is so stuck when you have all of this innovation going on,” Landrieu said.

But Landrieu’s big mission, and one that he said he doesn’t need to run for president to pursue, is making people confront racism — their own and the country’s. That starts with Trump but goes much deeper, he said. Everything that America is going through now, he said, Louisiana has seen already.

“We can recognize it more clearly, and we hear dog whistles more acutely. I was trying to wake the country up to the fact this is not new,” Landrieu said.

In the book, Landrieu traces Duke’s rise through state politics in the 1980s and 1990s — the two served alongside one another in the statehouse in Baton Rouge. Landrieu writes that Duke advanced by tapping into economic anxiety and got a pass on his racism from other Republicans who “saw him as a slick operator of calculated expediency, but very few wanted to speak out against him.”

The former Klansman, Landrieu writes, was regularly undercutting facts in an early version of “fake news!” A passage from a newsletter from Duke’s National Association for the Advancement of White People, Landrieu writes, “sounded a whole lot like ‘Make America Great Again.’”

“It seems so benign, but the word again gave the line its punch. Again fills African-Americans with dread. Exactly when were we great before? What are we going back to? And by the way, your great wasn’t so great for me,” Landrieu writes.

Landrieu said he’s going to take some time when his term ends to recover. He’s been in office for 30 years straight, working his way up. He has five children, and he said he wants to earn a living.

The last section of his book makes a more direct case against Trump, weaving in his own personal history and quoting Robert F. Kennedy.

"Poverty is a form of violence, I believe. So is not having access to health care, or not having a real job,” Landrieu writes. “We all come to the table of democracy in the United States as equals. That's what makes America great.”

If Landrieu decides to run, he’ll have the rare luxury of not having a job — either to distract him from the campaign or to trigger complaints that he’s ignoring his work for the sake of his political ambitions. His admirers say Landrieu‘s background also gives him the advantage of being able to speak credibly to Trump voters.

“If he showed up somewhere, people would show up to hear what he has to say,” Carville said. “That’s a huge thing. Not everybody crosses that threshold from Day One.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/21/mitch-landrieu-2020-democrats-473648

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2018, 11:31:23 PM »
What the Democrats need is Oprah to run. We've already learned a lesson about discounting a TV personality due to lack of qualifications. In todays America, Honey Boo Boo would garner more votes than Bernie Sanders. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 07:00:15 AM »
What the Democrats need is Oprah to run. We've already learned a lesson about discounting a TV personality due to lack of qualifications. In todays America, Honey Boo Boo would garner more votes than Bernie Sanders. 

A fat black broad who dates white guys who is an emotional wreck.    Yeah just the latest rescue to the Democrat shithole of a party.   

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
There is truth in what you say. Sad.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2018, 11:38:00 AM »
A fat black broad who dates white guys who is an emotional wreck.    Yeah just the latest rescue to the Democrat shithole of a party.   

honestly, Trump ain't much better, so we got nowhere to go but up

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2018, 11:47:03 AM »

And her net worth is peanuts at $2.7 billion. Stedman Graham, Oprah's partner for the last 30 years is African American.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
And her net worth is peanuts at $2.7 billion. Stedman Graham, Oprah's partner for the last 30 years is African American.

He's a lawyer, facts don't matter

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2018, 12:43:50 PM »

My bad - she is still an emotional land whale who can't diet

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2018, 05:08:31 PM »

worth a couple billion.. and you are..?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2018, 05:22:00 PM »

I see nothing bad here. Rumors about her relationships have been around forever. She's a public figure. Although IMO she makes too big a deal about dieting when it is impossible to hide the failures and there's been a few.

Oprah 1998 Vogue cover photo:

Twenty years later:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2018, 05:34:36 PM »
I see nothing bad here. Rumors about her relationships have been around forever. She's a public figure. Although IMO she makes too big a deal about dieting when it is impossible to hide the failures and there's been a few.

Oprah 1998 Vogue cover photo:

Twenty years later:

Selective use of pictures.  She has been obese for much of her life. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »
Selective use of pictures.  She has been obese for much of her life.  

Not sure what you mean here. I selected these two photos as examples of her thin and not-so-thin.

She's clearly obese in this photo, 'Oprah Winfrey admits to tipping the scales at 200 Lbs' in 2008.  In 1990, she weighed 237

All her yo-yo weight gains and losses cannot be healthy.

Las Vegas

• Getbig V
  • ! Repent or Perish !
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
Biden had better find a way to pull footage on the hours upon hours worth of him grabbing and slobbering up the little girls who were so unfortunate to be in his presence over the years.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2018, 06:27:02 PM »
Not sure what you mean here. I selected these two photos as examples of her thin and not-so-thin.

She's clearly obese in this photo, 'Oprah Winfrey admits to tipping the scales at 200 Lbs' in 2008.  In 1990, she weighed 237

All her yo-yo weight gains and losses cannot be healthy.

Ok.  I misunderstood what you were doing.  My bad.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2018, 08:07:59 PM »
I prefer fat Oprah.  Makes my dick harder than the blazes.  I'd probably drop a load by merely sucking her tits.  Wonder what kind of nipples she's packing?

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2018, 10:05:37 PM »
I prefer fat Oprah.  Makes my dick harder than the blazes.  I'd probably drop a load by merely sucking her tits.  Wonder what kind of nipples she's packing?

Drunken post of peace.