Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 425844 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #250 on: November 02, 2018, 10:50:25 AM »
Trained delt and arms:

Military press 2 x 8 115lbs (cleaned weight. Went all the way down)
dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10 30lbs
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10 80lbs
Machine rear delt 2 x 10 80lbs
barbell shrugs 2 x 10 250lbs

weighted dips 2 x 10 25lbs (deep)
single dumbbell two hands 2 x 10 75lbs
Rope tricep 2 x 12 90lbs

EZ curl 2 x 10 90lbs
scott barbell curl 2 x10 50lbs (slow and careful. afraid of damaging my surgically repaired arm)
arnold concentration curl 2 x 12 25lbs

wrist curls 2 x 25 95lbs
reverse pulley curls 2 x 10

ab coaster 1 x 37 60lbs
ab machine crunch 2 x 23 100lbs.

I finished by running 3 miles on the treadmill. First mile was 10 minute pace (6.0 MPH) and the last under 9 minute pace (6.8 MPH). Quarter mile warm up walk and cool down walk. Shirt was completely drenched. Humidity is high in NJ today.

Next week I think I'm going to a whole body routine. I want to see how it will work out with my runs.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #251 on: November 05, 2018, 10:35:42 AM »
Back and Chest:

Mag bar pulldowns 2 x 10 140lbs (upright back and all the way down)
Seated cable rows with V handle 2 x 12 180lbs
T bar rows 2 x 10 90lbs (This contraption he has uses leverage against you. 90lbs felt like a ton)
Hammer pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 80lbs ( all the way down)
Incline dumbbell 2 x 8 65lbs ( went somewhat slo mo)
Flat flies 2 x 10 50lbs
cable flies 2 x 10 50lbs

Deadlift 2x 4 300lbs then 1 x 1 330lbs (I think I have been slacking off with them. Maybe time to up the weight)
weighted hypers 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind head

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 25
Ab machine crunch  2 x 23 100lbs

I thought this week I would use a whole body routine but when I went over in my head I thought it was too much.  Going to change my ways shortly, I just don't what I will do?

I spotted a guy doing 405lbs in the bench. He pulled something in his shoulder. Sometimes it's just not worth it doing a single rep.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #252 on: November 06, 2018, 04:53:21 AM »
Just some ideas...

When you train full-body you have to cut back obviously.  You can't do as many sets per bodypart like on a split.

An idea would be to take the same amount of sets you do on a typical day and spread them out over the whole body.

Not counting abs you did 20 sets.

Body parts to train:

Upper thighs
Calves
Chest/Delts
Back
Arms

So 4 sets each body part.

Example...

Upper thighs - Leg press and leg curl 2 sets each
Calves -  Standing calf raises and seated calf raises 2 sets each
Chest/delts - Flat dumbbell press and dumbbell lateral raises 2 sets each
Back - Lat pulls and rows - 2 sets each
Arms - Biceps curl and Tricep pushdowns 2 sets each

That's 20 sets.
Then for Abs do the same as previous workout

This doens't include any warmup sets which might be necessary.

You could do this same workout 2-3 times a week or do an A/B type routine where you do different exercises on alternate days 2-3 times a week.

Run on the same day if you feel like it and then rest completely on off days or run on off days.

I'm thinking running on the same day might be better as you'd then have a full day of recovery between workouts.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #253 on: November 06, 2018, 07:20:13 AM »
Just some ideas...

When you train full-body you have to cut back obviously.  You can't do as many sets per bodypart like on a split.

An idea would be to take the same amount of sets you do on a typical day and spread them out over the whole body.

Not counting abs you did 20 sets.

Body parts to train:

Upper thighs
Calves
Chest/Delts
Back
Arms

So 4 sets each body part.

Example...

Upper thighs - Leg press and leg curl 2 sets each
Calves -  Standing calf raises and seated calf raises 2 sets each
Chest/delts - Flat dumbbell press and dumbbell lateral raises 2 sets each
Back - Lat pulls and rows - 2 sets each
Arms - Biceps curl and Tricep pushdowns 2 sets each

That's 20 sets.
Then for Abs do the same as previous workout

This doens't include any warmup sets which might be necessary.

You could do this same workout 2-3 times a week or do an A/B type routine where you do different exercises on alternate days 2-3 times a week.

Run on the same day if you feel like it and then rest completely on off days or run on off days.

I'm thinking running on the same day might be better as you'd then have a full day of recovery between workouts.

For me running on the same day as a whole body routine is just too much. I'm lucky I know my own name after a whole body routine. I find training the whole body on one day is the hardest way to work out. I use to use this routine for awhile. I could never keep it up because I found it so draining.

Power clean and jerk 3 x 3 then 1 x1
squats 2 x 8
lunges 1 x 8
dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8
pull ups 2 x max
Cable seated V rows 2 x 12
military press 2 x 8
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10
standing calf raise 2 x 15
abs
neck

The routine took me between 90 minutes and two hours. I trained each set to positive failure. I found it's not only the amount of sets but the fact that you are hitting the whole body that produces a systemic fatigue. I made rapid strength gains but it wasn't sustainable because I couldn't do the work outs for about two weeks before I was completely spent. If there is one thing it taught me is that repeating an exercise more than once a week really works. Now I'm doing an exercise once a week. In under 20 years I will probably be dead but I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. LOL.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #254 on: November 06, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »
For me running on the same day as a whole body routine is just too much. I'm lucky I know my own name after a whole body routine. I find training the whole body on one day is the hardest way to work out. I use to use this routine for awhile. I could never keep it up because I found it so draining.

squats 2 x 8
lunges 1 x 8
pull ups 2 x max
military press 2 x 8
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10
abs
neck

The routine took me between 90 minutes and two hours. I trained each set to positive failure. I found it's not only the amount of sets but the fact that you are hitting the whole body that produces a systemic fatigue. I made rapid strength gains but it wasn't sustainable because I couldn't do the work outs for about two weeks before I was completely spent. If there is one thing it taught me is that repeating an exercise more than once a week really works. Now I'm doing an exercise once a week. In under 20 years I will probably be dead but I'm still trying to figure this stuff out. LOL.

Cut that in half and you'd be good.

squats 2 x 8
pull ups 2 x max
dumbbell laterals 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10
abs

If you like variety alternate with this workout next...

weighted dips 2 x 10
barbell curls 2 x 10
abs

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #255 on: November 06, 2018, 04:34:53 PM »
Ran 5.5 miles today. I ran about 3.5 miles and my shoe lace came undone. When I went to tie it I pulled on the emergency disconnect erasing the run on the computer display. I just ran another two miles.  Hit the heavy bag and a guy told me I wouldn't want to get hit by you.  Made me feel good cause I thought I was so fatigued from the run that I wasn't giving my all to the heavy bag session. I actually felt ill after the run. Just did too much.  Tomorrow is legs. I feel I'm slowly but surely getting in good cardio shape.

After the run the wife wanted to go to a Cuban Restaurant. It was closed when we got there at 3:30PM. We started walking away and the owner said, "We are closed and we are getting reading for the diner crowd." I guess she saw the disappointment on our face. She told us to come in and she would tell the chefs to make us something. Here we were in a brand new classy restaurant with nice jazz playing. All the tables were empty and set up for the diner crowd. Really good food and we felt like were celebrities having the place shut down for us. Drank french wine with the Cuban food. Is that wrong?  

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2018, 12:20:49 PM »
Trained legs today. I rarely do barbell squats lately but use dumbbells. Today I was set to barbell squat and someone was in the squat rack. Only one squat area in the whole gym.  

My son in law wants me to train at his Dojo in jui jitsu. Just not into it at this stage of the game. I have surgically repaired arm and I don't have an interest anymore. My other daughter's fiance is heavily into it too.  I guess it's a matter of time before I fold. I haven't rolled on the mats for many years. Truth be told I stink at jui jitsu and I'm a better striker. These two guys are really good at submissions. My son in law is 310lbs and about 6'4". I might tap out from him putting his weight on me. LOL.  I use to practice the art back in the day during UFC 1 and 2. I really don't want guys jerking my bad arm and shoulder in joint locks.  I guess I will cave at some point. Then my weight workouts and other training will be very different. I remember when I was training for jui jitsu everything was about conditioning. Strength wasn't a real consideration. I just ran all time.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #257 on: November 08, 2018, 08:52:50 AM »
I was into karate for a few years.  That's how I messed my knee up.

So no more of that for me. 

Carry a knife and you're all set.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2018, 09:45:05 AM »
I was into karate for a few years.  That's how I messed my knee up.

So no more of that for me. 

Carry a knife and you're all set.

I have legally carried a gun for 35 years. Ran a really slow 2 miles. Just not feeling it today. Felt like a slug. Try to pick it up tomorrow after lifting. Saw a new guy in the gym when I went in there to hit heavy bag. He was warming up for snatches. So rare in a bodybuilding gym. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #259 on: November 08, 2018, 05:16:02 PM »
I have legally carried a gun for 35 years. Ran a really slow 2 miles. Just not feeling it today. Felt like a slug. Try to pick it up tomorrow after lifting. Saw a new guy in the gym when I went in there to hit heavy bag. He was warming up for snatches. So rare in a bodybuilding gym.  

You live in NJ, right?  I'm curious.

How do you qualify for a carry permit?  It's for all intents and purposes impossible to get a carry permit in NJ.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
Trained delt and arms. After lifting I did 6 x quarter miles on the treadmill. I rested long between sets on the treadmill so it wasn't too taxing. Fastest quarter was at a 6:30 minute mile pace (9.2 MPH). Not exactly flying.  Rested a quarter mile fast walk in between. Way too much rest.

Getting back to the weight part I used 60lbs dumbbells for the standing shoulder pressing sets. I know many do these sitting but for most it turns into a  part incline press. Standing seems more strict with no lean back.  I go all way down as far as my structure allows. It limits the weight but I believe the full range of motion is more work than doing the usual half way down method I see everyone doing. Added benefit is that a lighter weight can be used so getting the weight into position is easier.

I have to stop eating like a slob and drinking beer. At my age I can't out work my diet anymore. Getting frustrated but I know it's my lack of discipline on the eating front. I don't know how I can be  so dedicated to the training part and say fuck it when it comes to diet. I have to get my act together. I was at 190lbs months ago.  I then went down to 180lbs. Right on the verge of my goal of getting into the 170lbs. Now I'm going up and weigh 184lbs.  Wow, I sound like a chick talking about my weight.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2018, 02:30:30 PM »
I did intermittent fasting for quite awhile and it helped me manage my eating.

I fasted from 8PM to Noon the following day.  Also counted calories using free MyFitnessPal to keep track of what I ate.

The fasting really wasn't bad, basically skipping breakfast.

You still have to count calories of what you eat but the fasting allows you to eat larger meals when you do get to eat so that's the mind trick you get to play.  You get to feel full when you do eat.

I'm not doing it anymore but it got me in the habit of not over-eating too much. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #262 on: November 09, 2018, 03:17:44 PM »
I did intermittent fasting for quite awhile and it helped me manage my eating.

I fasted from 8PM to Noon the following day.  Also counted calories using free MyFitnessPal to keep track of what I ate.

The fasting really wasn't bad, basically skipping breakfast.

You still have to count calories of what you eat but the fasting allows you to eat larger meals when you do get to eat so that's the mind trick you get to play.  You get to feel full when you do eat.

I'm not doing it anymore but it got me in the habit of not over-eating too much. 

My one daughter's boyfriend does that. He's into jui jitsu but prior to that he was a gym rat. Now he exclusively goes to the dojo. Has a very athletic build. He said he stops eating at a certain time at night and doesn't eat again until lunch. I have been told many times by people at work that they can't believe how much I can eat. I heard the same thing about competitive swimmers that they eat like a horse but burn it off. The problem is I can't burn it off anymore. I would be shocked if I kept a food diary of my gluttony. Below is just today and believe me it's a light day of eating.

two eggs- two strips of bacon-muffins and skim milk

lunch was roast beef sandwich, pomegranate, two bananas, protein shake.

snack: ate potato chips, peanuts and some soft goo candy that resembled an orange slice

Dinner: The wife wants Chinese so we I'm getting chicken and broccoli with wanton soup.

I'm sure after that I will be watching TV eating salsa and corn chips.

Just hopeless. LoL. I eat like a common slob.  Tomorrow is a college football game. My well to do nephew said we can come to his box seats and in the parking lot is a giant cook out. I'm sure between the beer and BBQ stuff I will eat to my hearts content.  The box seat has an open free bar and all the food you can eat too. I guess Sunday I will start eating right.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #263 on: November 12, 2018, 12:50:02 PM »
I'm doing a Yates inspired workouts this week. Today  was chest and biceps:

Flat dumbbell bench 1 x 8 85lbs ( all the way down.)
Incline dumbbell bench 1 x 10 70lbs
Flat flies 1 x 15 50lbs
Pulley flies 1 x 14 ( seems to bug my bad shoulder)
Push ups 1 x  to failure.

EZ curl 1 x 14 90lbs
Scott curl 1 x 13
Concentration curl 1 x 14 25lbs
Machine curls preacher 1 x 10

forearm wrist curls 1 x 30 95lbs
reverse grip pulley curls 1 x  12

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 30
Machine crunch 1 x 24 100lbs

Ran two miles after with a quarter mile fast walk warm up and cool down at 3.8 MPH.  The first mile was at 8:57 pace 6.7 MPH and the second in 7.0MPH  8:34 Pace. The last quarter was around mid 7:30 pace.

Gaining weight. Damn beer. LOL.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:41 AM »
I might end this online journal. I'm sure it's boring. Trained legs today.

Dumbbell squat 1 x 14 85lbs ( Upright back and sank it.)
Hack machine 1 x 13 ( I really sink these and stretch the knees out. Most go shallow with a lot of plates. One guy told me would ruin my knees going so low but I feel the opposite. Flexibility prevents injuries. Having tight joints is where tears happen. )
stiff leg dead 1 x 8 205lbs
Kick back machine 1 x 15 80lbs

Standing calf raise 1 x 15 195lbs
Seated calf 1 x 19 90lbs

4 way neck 1 set per side

Hanging straight leg raise 1 x 25
knee ins 1 x 25

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2018, 01:51:18 PM »
I might end this online journal. I'm sure it's boring.

It gets to be something you regret starting in the first place.

Then you feel bad if you stop.

We could both agree to stop posting until at least 1/1/2019 or later.

I keep a written notebook of my workouts anyway.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2018, 07:14:13 PM »
It gets to be something you regret starting in the first place.

Then you feel bad if you stop.

We could both agree to stop posting until at least 1/1/2019 or later.

I keep a written notebook of my workouts anyway.

I kept a journal of my workouts for decades. For my personal perspective it made me too competitive. I made the workouts hellish to soon. I keep track of reps, weight and time it took for the workout. For example on my whole body routines three days a week I would set a goal and then back off 6 workouts. An example of this would be a goal to do full range sets of  press behind the neck with 140lbs. I would start with 115lbs. Every whole body workout I would increase by 5lbs. So Monday would be 115lbs, Wednesday 120lbs, Friday 125lbs. Next Monday 130lbs and so on.   By the time I got to work out 6 it would be so exhausting that I would have to take time off.

I have worked out enough and I know what my personal records are life time and recent. I still push it but by basically keeping the work outs in my head I'm a little less hard on myself. I don't beat myself up so to speak. If I do my normal 2 sets of 4 reps with 300lbs in the deadlift sometimes I ignite a fire and do a set of 6 reps with 315lbs. Next week I'm down to 300lbs. I will never do sets with 405lbs like I use to but hell it's okay I guess what I'm doing at my age. I think I have a somewhat youthful face and good build I can egotistically say. My mainly white hair is something I can live with. Most guys in their late 50's and early 60's look like hell even if they workout. Not talking about the old men risking health with steroids. They look good but completely fall apart without the assist.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #267 on: November 14, 2018, 09:36:31 AM »
Ran 6 x half miles (880 yards)  Quarter mile fast walking warm up 3.8MPH and the same at the end.

In between each set I would walk a quarter mile at 3.8MPH. 

1. 7.1 MPH-8:27 pace
2. 7.1 MPH-8:27 pace
3. 7.5 MPH- 8:00 pace
4. 7.5 MPH - 8:00 pace
5. 7.7 MPH-7:48 pace
6. 8.0 MPH- 7:30 Pace (ran the speed up the last couple of hundred yards. No idea how fast)

Hit the heavy bag after. I like hitting it after a run. It really turns it into an exhausting drill.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #268 on: November 15, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »
Back day: Yates style. No warm ups listed. Work out took about 40 minutes.

Pulldown with M.A.G. bar 1 x 13 (stayed fairly upright. I didn't turn the pulldown into a row. )
Cable lat row seated with V handle 1 x 14 180lbs
Single dumbbell row with knee on bench 1 x 12 95lbs
Hammer pull down 1 x 14
deadlifts 1 x 6 315lbs
Weighted hypers 1 x 20 25lbs plate behind head.

Ab wheel roll out 1 x 27
Ab machine crunch 1 x 22 100lbs

Tomorrow is delt/tris with cardio. It's going to be a hard one.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #269 on: November 15, 2018, 11:59:45 AM »
I keep a notebook so I can remember what I did.

I even make hash marks to count my sets.

I'm feeble.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »
Delt and triceps:  Work out took about 40 minutes. No warm ups listed. I do a minimum amount of warm ups. Many exercises get zero.

Military clean and press 3 x 4  135lbs (Thought I would drop the weight on my head)
Dumbbell delt lateral 1 x 15 30lbs
Machine rear delt laterals 1 x 13 80lbs
Rear delt machine 1 x 12 90lbs
Barbell shrugs 1 x 15 250lbs

Weighted dips 1 x 10 25lbs plate
Single dumbbell two hands behind head 1 x 12 80lbs
Rope push downs 1 x 12 90lbs
Traditional tricep pushdowns 1 x 14

Ab coaster 1 x 37 60lbs
Pulley crunch 1 x 25

I was going to do a double session with cardio but I wasn't feeling it. I will have an all cardio day tomorrow.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #271 on: November 17, 2018, 03:43:25 PM »
Cardio treadmill day. 6 x 880 yards (half mile).

Used a warm up of a quarter mile fast walk of 3.8 MPH.  At the end of the work out was a cool down fast walk 3.8 MPH for a quarter mile. I used a rest interval between sets was again a 3.8 MPH walk for a quarter mile rest.

This is the break down of the half mile repeats.

1. Half mile at 7.5 MPH (8:00 pace)
2. Half mile at 7.5 MPH (8:00 pace)
3. Half mile at 7.8 MPH (7:42 pace)
4. Half mile at 7.8 MPH (7:42 pace)
5. Half mile at 8.0 MPH (7:30 pace)
6. Half mile at 8.6 MPH (6:59 pace)

Did this after drinking a few the day before. Boxing drills after the treadmill.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #272 on: November 18, 2018, 11:57:04 AM »
You in hella good shape, bro.

I'm serious.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2018, 02:51:29 PM »
I'm a broken record with my workouts. Back and chest today.  Thought this week I would use volume or a whole body routine but here I am with a low set routine split routine. I was watching a muscular guy working out. He was using very moderate weights. I give him props for how lean he was. I wouldn't want to be seen using his weights he used but he made a light weight heavy by resting minimally between sets. I'm sure by his last set the light weight felt like 1000lbs.

I'm always questioning the HIT vs volume question. There is no true definition of Hit except that it's low sets to failure. Personally I would define HIT as anything from one set to three sets per exercise to failure or close to failure. I really think there is a lot of validity to the success of muscular endurance training in the form of volume. Truth be told both are brutal ways to train but for different reasons. It's apples to oranges. In track which is harder? A 400 meter sprinter or a 5K distance runner is terms of effort? Clearly both are brutal. If it's a question of intensity then yes the 400 meter runner has more intensity.  

A HIT guy will do one set to failure of an exercise after warm up if necessary. A volume guy might do 5 sets of an exercise 10 reps.  Sets 1 to 3 won't be to failure. Not to say it will be easy. Set four will be getting close. On set five he fails at 7 reps trying to get his goal of five sets of 10. HIT guys like to brag they work out hard saying volume guys don't. Complete nonsense.

I was listening to a guy that trains mainly with volume. He said that he started lifting during the Arthur Jones craze that was pushed further by Mentzer. He said when he stopped with high intensity and went on to volume he made drastic gains. Is it because he gave his body a new stimulus to adapt to? I don't know. He said he believed it was good to mix up the two from time to time. Arnold use to say he uses volume but it's good to work to a single on various major exercises from time to time to have a heavy weight day.

If intensity was the magic bullet we would all be doing sets of one rep after warm up because that is the highest intensity you can do. It isn't the magic bullet.

I took a picture of myself today and I wish I was leaner. Working on it.  ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #274 on: November 20, 2018, 09:00:47 AM »
Cardio day: Almost the same as last but picked up the last half mile.

6 x 880 yards (half mile)

1. Half mile at 7.5 MPH (8:00 pace)
2. Half mile at 7.5 MPH (8:00 pace)
3. Half mile at 7.8 MPH (7:42 pace)
4. Half mile at 7.8 MPH (7:42 pace)
5. Half mile at 8.0 MPH (7:30 pace)
6. Half mile at 8.7 MPH (6:54 pace)

Boxing drills.

Might do 8 x 440 yards (quarter miles) next time to break it up.