Getbig Bodybuilding, Figure and Fitness Forums
August 17, 2019, 09:46:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 121454 times)
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #625 on: August 14, 2019, 03:07:59 PM »

Trained legs today.  The strange thing was I forgot to do leg extensions. Did my squats, hacks, stiff dead, kick back machine, leg curls, standing calf, seated calf, abs and neck.

After the workout I had to drive an hour to take care of some administrative stuff with my ex job. Went to what might be the best deli in the state of NJ. Looks like the Italian mob owns the place.  Insane the stuff they have in there. Came home and cleaned the pool. Suddenly it hit me. I didn't do leg extensions. I went into my basement gym. Warmed up with a set then did two hard sets.  My knees are hurting slightly. I really wonder if leg extensions are bad for your knees? Had no knee complaints after my leg workout. After doing leg extensions my knees were aching.  For many years they used that movement for rehab but many are of the opinion it's a bad movement for knee health now.

Report to moderator   Logged
IroNat
Getbig V

I'm ok, you're screwed up.

« Reply #626 on: August 15, 2019, 03:17:42 AM »

Trained legs today.  The strange thing was I forgot to do leg extensions. Did my squats, hacks, stiff dead, kick back machine, leg curls, standing calf, seated calf, abs and neck.

After the workout I had to drive an hour to take care of some administrative stuff with my ex job. Went to what might be the best deli in the state of NJ. Looks like the Italian mob owns the place.  Insane the stuff they have in there. Came home and cleaned the pool. Suddenly it hit me. I didn't do leg extensions. I went into my basement gym. Warmed up with a set then did two hard sets.  My knees are hurting slightly. I really wonder if leg extensions are bad for your knees? Had no knee complaints after my leg workout. After doing leg extensions my knees were aching.  For many years they used that movement for rehab but many are of the opinion it's a bad movement for knee health now.

I think if your knees are healthy you can do them.  I used to do them all the time when I was younger without a problem

If you've had knee problems in the past then they could be irritating.  

Going too heavy on them is probably not wise.  Keeps reps high around 20 or higher.  

You probably should have skipped them since you had already trained earlier.  You had cooled off and had already fatigued your legs.

Leg extension type exercises are a staple in knee rehab.

The straight leg raise below is a form of leg extension.

oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #627 on: August 15, 2019, 10:05:02 AM »

Did 6 x half miles. Fastest in 7:30 mile pace or 8 MPH.  Hit the bag after.

Below is both pro and con leg extension for knee health.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/truth-about-leg-extensions

https://www.stack.com/a/never-do-leg-extensions

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/leg-extensions-knee-pain_b_3269330

https://human-movement.com/is-the-leg-extension-machine-bad-for-your-knees/

https://www.menshealth.com/fitness/a28008112/leg-extensions/
Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #628 on: August 15, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

With leg extensions, I believe using too much resistance can be problematical. When I was in physical therapy following knee surgery, the therapist discouraged doing extensions. This was interesting since the doctor prescribed leg extensions with no added resistance the second week following the surgery. The therapist had me doing very light leg presses, one leg at a time. It has been years since the meniscus surgery and my knees are fine. I do leg extensions on a regular basis. I believe it is best to do them when you are warmed up.
IroNat
Getbig V

« Reply #629 on: August 15, 2019, 12:05:35 PM »

Leg extensions along with behind neck presses are on the "no-no" list nowadays.

However, many did them with no problems in the past.

I guess you have to try them out for yourself.  Best to use light weights at first.

oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #630 on: August 16, 2019, 04:29:16 AM »

Leg extensions along with behind neck presses are on the "no-no" list nowadays.

However, many did them with no problems in the past.

I guess you have to try them out for yourself.  Best to use light weights at first.

True, I did press behind the neck for many decades with zero problems. Now I can't do them without pain. I think it has to do with shoulder flexibility. The bench is a mobility destroyer.  If you have tight shoulders doing something like the press behind the neck is asking for a tear.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #631 on: August 16, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »

Trained delts and arms today.  One observation. Very few appear to be lifting. Most come to chat. Two young guys must have talked 10 minutes between sets.  I'm on my third exercise and they are going on their second set. So many people go to the gym to bull shit. I thought it was only the old guys. They go to have some kind of a social life. Besides hi and bye my conversations with people are very short. Today I broke my standard method of operation by chatting with a guy doing deadlifts. Talked about the positives and the negatives of the double over grip with hook grip vs the standard alternate grip for deads. That conversation turned into the benefits of the power clean over the deadlift. Suddenly I found myself to be a yanking Nancy and got back to the solitude of the work of the workout.
IroNat
Getbig V

« Reply #632 on: August 16, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »

It's always been the same at any gym I've been to.

The gym is a social place for many people.

Training is hard work and who wants to do that?

Do a few sets of curls, flex the arms and head over to the juice bar...

Primemuscle
Getbig V

Be honest...

« Reply #633 on: August 16, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »

It's always been the same at any gym I've been to.

The gym is a social place for many people.

Training is hard work and who wants to do that?

Do a few sets of curls, flex the arms and head over to the juice bar...

I care less whether other folks are at the gym to socialize, except when they monopolize equipment I'm waiting to use.
oldtimer1
Getbig V

Getbig!

« Reply #634 on: August 16, 2019, 03:38:32 PM »

I care less whether other folks are at the gym to socialize, except when they monopolize equipment I'm waiting to use.

Not a question of caring but an observation for me. Yes, I do care when they talk endlessly when I want to go on to my next set.  I sometimes cut them off saying I have to get to my next set.  I know one guy took offense and he doesn't chat with me anymore. I take my workouts seriously and I have work to do.  I remember one guy telling me I was out of shape because I was breathing so hard and my shirt was drenched. He never gets out of breath and his shirt is dry. He doesn't break a sweat working out because he is not exerting himself.  

Anyway, there are so many things to observe with human nature. Don't get me going on the locker room situation. Let's just say I might go in there once a year. I avoid it. One convict was screaming at a guy in the gym with plenty of threats of violence. The gym owner got between them. At one point I thought the convict was going to hit him with a plate.  The other guy left the gym and the convict remained. I call him convict because of his criminal convictions both old and recent.  Nice guy to talk with. I asked him what the hell was that about. He said the guy dropped his pants playing with his cock staring at him.  I started laughing and he seemed to let his temper go. I guess the guy was looking for a "date" thought if he's in the locker room he's there looking for sex too. Anyway soon after; maybe a month, the convict's house was raided with a swat team. The rumor was he was dealing drugs. I don't know if they were recreational, steroids or both.

So many observations in the gym.  It's like going to the zoo.  One guy looks like a real gargoyle. He's old and hunched over. The poor guy can barely walk. He shows up at the gym with this knock out blonde. She always has her hair done and make up on with lip stick to work out. I don't know if she is flirting with me or she is  really friendly.  I guess it's the cynic in me that I can't give her the benefit of the doubt that she is just a friendly person. Shame on me. Never seen a more mismatched couple. I know it makes me sound like a scum bag for observing this. If they are happy who am I to comment but I can't help it.  Grin

I find it really odd the women who just use the cardio equipment. I see the same women time after time go on a treadmill, elliptical, or bikes that rarely if ever use the weights.  Why join a gym for that?  Buy a treadmill and stay home if you don't want to run outside. Different strokes for different folks. ...and so on and so on and scooby scooby do on.  Sly and the Family Stone for you younger guys.

I should stick to my basement gym.  Then I can only be critical of myself.  Grin  

IroNat
Getbig V

« Reply #635 on: Today at 04:23:09 AM »

You can't help but make observations.

There's some wacky peeps out there.

Just think of all these wacky people driving cars around? 

Kind of dangerous.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Theme created by Egad Community. Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.20 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!