Author Topic: IFBB Pro Ed Kawak dead . . .  (Read 63227 times)

Hurricane Beef !

• Getbig V
  • Beat Coach, Wes & Chaos So Bad . . .
IFBB Pro Ed Kawak dead . . .
« on: May 23, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »
They are reporting on another board that 90's super freak Ed Kawak was found dead in China of a heart attack.

R.I.P. ED

The Beef

New York

• Getbig III
  • New York
Re: IFBB Pro Ed Kawak dead . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 05:29:10 PM »
If this is true R.I.P

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 05:30:26 PM »
who r they?

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 05:32:10 PM »
sad, rip

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 06:02:38 PM »
dude was thick...RIP

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 06:02:57 PM »
RIP.  :(

The guy could not have been more than 45.

Easly in his 50's, but reguardless, RIP!

sean

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 06:18:12 PM »
RIP.  :(

The guy could not have been more than 45.

So is it safe to say that consistant use of steroids will likely edge 30+ years off your life?

Harry R. M. Pitts

• Getbig III
  • large lover
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 06:26:25 PM »
nice Richard Simmons hairdoo :P    guy looks better than half the pros today.  RIP
"

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 06:39:25 PM »
FUCK! If this is true, what a shame.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 06:42:27 PM »
In all the way big dude RIP
L

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 06:55:29 PM »
 :(
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
the man had crazy arms.

RIP :'(
Flower Boy Ran Away

JOEMUSCLE

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 08:07:09 PM »
I saw his posing routine in a contest on ESPN back in 1986.  His quads were huge.  His whole physique was awesome.  Never heard much of him after that.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 08:19:51 PM »
That's a shame.  Kawak was a popular bodybuilder in the 80's and one of the few guys who could challenge Haney in the mass department.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 08:26:33 PM »
Advil is a helluva drug!

Are you suggesting his death may have been advil related or that advil could have helped to prevent it or something else?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 08:59:32 PM »
Well, it seems former pros are kicking it at very young ages right and left lately.

Of course, it's never the result of the excesses of the pro bodybuilding lifestyle that killed them!  *wink, wink*

It's usually something like "Advil", as in:  "My kidneys aren't failing due to years of steroid abuse, combined with whatever home-brewed diuretic The Chad has me using, it's because of Advil. I almost died for you bittches!"

Tom Prince obviously abused a lot of different types of drugs but the ones most likely to have caused his health problems would be advil based on the kidney damage.  I think some rec drugs are toxic to the kidneys as well but I don't know.

Let's not forget diuretics.

As for Kawak and roids - bear in mind this guy ate upwards of 10,000 calories a day.  He was also an animal in the gym using heavy weights which also isn't exactly heart healthy.  And lastly let's not forget genetics.  My cousin's husband died at the age of 35 from a heart attack and never touched a roid in his life.  He was a cig smoker and probably could have stood to drop 30 or 50 pounds, but you know that just has to be genetic.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 09:01:36 PM »
Well, it seems former pros are kicking it at very young ages right and left lately.

Of course, it's never the result of the excesses of the pro bodybuilding lifestyle that killed them!  *wink, wink*

It's usually something like "Advil", as in:  "My kidneys aren't failing due to years of steroid abuse, combined with whatever home-brewed diuretic The Chad has me using, it's because of Advil. I almost died for you bittches!"

The Advil excuse... I love it.

I heard a theory about BB'ers and the relation to gear. It goes something along the shores of The Nile. 8)

People tend to downplay the effect the gear has on their physiques on all levels, and it also causes them to deny that it could be dangerous in the long run.

But seriously... How many other "sports" are having deaths on elite level competitors at such young age, related to kidney and heart problems?

It's either Advil or "hereditary, runs in the family".

Nevertheless, it's always sad to hear about a human leaving to early. I hope his family will be ok.

Zack
As empty as paradise

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 09:37:11 PM »
I would guess all of them.  We only pay attention for bodybuilding because we want to use steroids as an excuse.  Makes us feel more in control of death to blame an external factor like steroids.  People die.

Yes , but on a % basis bodybuilding seems pretty high overall. Plus, unlike the NFL or boxing, bodybuilding should be pretty safe and free from risks...but we know different.
At 47 seeing so man guys I saw over the years dropping around my age or even younger freaks me out.
One factor could a lack of health ins or reg check ups for early detection of problems.?????

Oh well, I just wish the Kawak family some peace at this troubled time.
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

brianX

• Getbig IV
  • Kiwiol has 13" arms!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 09:58:18 PM »
Tom Prince obviously abused a lot of different types of drugs but the ones most likely to have caused his health problems would be advil based on the kidney damage.  I think some rec drugs are toxic to the kidneys as well but I don't know.

Let's not forget diuretics.

As for Kawak and roids - bear in mind this guy ate upwards of 10,000 calories a day.  He was also an animal in the gym using heavy weights which also isn't exactly heart healthy.  And lastly let's not forget genetics.  My cousin's husband died at the age of 35 from a heart attack and never touched a roid in his life.  He was a cig smoker and probably could have stood to drop 30 or 50 pounds, but you know that just has to be genetic.

Heavy weights aren't "unhealthy" for the heart. ::)
hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Wombat

• Getbig IV
  • Your name tattooed to my ass!
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 10:28:30 PM »
So is it safe to say that consistant use of steroids will likely edge 30+ years off your life?

average age of death i believe is 72....However heart disease being the #1 killer in both men and women, most won't come close to the average death number...a heart attack in your 50s is becoming the norm...

Adam Empire

• Getbig IV
  • Gobias Industries
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 10:37:52 PM »
Has this death been confirmed?  What's the cause?
Motherboy (the band).

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 10:41:17 PM »
people in their 40's-50's drop dead eevry day so you can't say drugs are to blame

RIP

E
E

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »

But seriously... How many other "sports" are having deaths on elite level competitors at such young age, related to kidney and heart problems?

football

E
E

HowDog

• Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 10:53:09 PM »
First off heavy lifting is not unhealthy for the heart.  I question if the man ate 10,000 calorie diet that is a bit extreme and of course not healthy but heavy lifting is healthy, we cannot forget the fact that the human body was designed for movement. Ed Kawak was a great bodybuilder and will be missed. RIP iron warrior.

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 10:53:45 PM »
people in their 40's-50's drop dead eevry day so you can't say drugs are to blame

RIP

E

Are you just playing devil's advocate here?  Surely you know better.

Look at the number of pro BBers dying in their 30's, 40's and 50's.  Then look at them as a percentage of all pro BBers since the advent of the steroid era.  Then compare that percentage to the statistics in the overall population.  I'm sure you'll find these deaths are way above, say, the national average in the US.

Anyway, we don't know any of the details surrounding Ed's death and my condolences to out to the loved ones he left behind.  RIP.