Author Topic: DC Logg: Doggcrapp Training - is it all that it's cracked up to be?  (Read 37724 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: DoggCrapp training - is it all that it's cracked up to be?
« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2006, 07:25:32 AM »
I'm doing about 120 grams in shakes and another 130 or so in real food. I'm deployed so sometimes its hard to get clean food. They fry everything. But I have started to eat fish which i hate. I'm not worried about BF%. I hover around 12% at 215-220 at 5'9. I got to 10% last fall but its not my thing. As long as I have abs. At this point week four I'm up 4 real pounds and back to 220. If I can stay at 12% and get up to 225-230 that would be great. Its been a struggle to gain lean mass for the last 6 months or so. Thats why I went with this. I think I was burnt out on my basic program. I'm only on Creatine. I'll post my workout tommorrow
L

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2006, 07:35:09 AM »
I'm doing about 120 grams in shakes and another 130 or so in real food. I'm deployed so sometimes its hard to get clean food. They fry everything. But I have started to eat fish which i hate. I'm not worried about BF%. I hover around 12% at 215-220 at 5'9. I got to 10% last fall but its not my thing. As long as I have abs. At this point week four I'm up 4 real pounds and back to 220. If I can stay at 12% and get up to 225-230 that would be great. Its been a struggle to gain lean mass for the last 6 months or so. Thats why I went with this. I think I was burnt out on my basic program. I'm only on Creatine. I'll post my workout tommorrow

get your protien however you can.  I don't personally care if it's from shakes or real food, I'm not an expert or anything but that's how I feel.  I'd make sure I did my cardio just to be safe, if you start to slow down in the gains or loose power, cut the cardio down but I'd do some cardio regardless.  I'd also try to cycle in some green tea, helps keep the metabolism kicking.
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2006, 11:25:35 PM »
I hate cardio.......OK here's our current program. I don't think i missed anything but we do what we can based on tim and equipment. If we can't get on a piece of equipment..especially after doing the major mass builder for that body part we do a widow maker. I was experiencing alot of forearm and and elbow pain with my base program but not with this.

incline smythe press (11-15rp)
hammer strength press (11-15rp)
decline barbell press (11-15rp)
Backwidth:
close grip pulldowns (11-15rp)front pulldowns (11-15rp)
Backthickness:
deadlifts straight sets (6-9reps) + (9-12reps)
T-bar rows straight set (10-12 reps)
rack deadlifts (6-9reps) + (9-12reps)
Shoulders:
military presses (11-20rp)
hammer strength presses (11-15rp)
upright rows (11-20rp)
Quads:
free squats (6-10 rep straight set) 3-5 minute rest and then (20 rep widowmaker)
hack squats (as above)
leg press (as above)
Hamstrings:
seated leg curls (15-30rp)
sumo press leg press (pressing with heels only- straight set of 15-25 reps)
Biceps:
preacher curls (11-20rp)
dumbell curls (11-20rp)
Forearms:
pinwheel curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
hammer curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
reverse grip one arm cable curls (straight set 10-20 reps)
Triceps:
reverse grip bench presses (11-20rp)
close grip bench presses (11-20rp)
EZ bar tricep extentions (15-30rp)
L

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2006, 04:22:01 AM »
looks fine except you really need 3 movements to rotate.  On back try adding reverse grip pulldowns for your 3rd movement, bi's I'm sure you can come up with something.  Other than that I'd say it's fine.
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2006, 11:41:55 PM »
Last week we added bent rows and rotate with the hammer strength pulldowns. I don't like going heavy on the hammer because i feel it more then jerking it around. Thanks for all the help.
L

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2006, 11:08:01 AM »
Last week we added bent rows and rotate with the hammer strength pulldowns. I don't like going heavy on the hammer because i feel it more then jerking it around. Thanks for all the help.

just go a little lighter, the weight will come up in time, don't put to much thought into how much you lift initially, just worry about beating your old totals.
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2006, 02:50:19 AM »
We're on our first cruise week. The plan is to max this week and then do drops and higher reps next week. I hit chest yesterday and my max is back up to 335. Tried 365 but missed. This program works. Not sure why it takes so much heat.
L

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2006, 01:35:15 PM »
We're on our first cruise week. The plan is to max this week and then do drops and higher reps next week. I hit chest yesterday and my max is back up to 335. Tried 365 but missed. This program works. Not sure why it takes so much heat.

Due to the fact it works.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2006, 11:10:28 PM »
I think this workout scares people. High weight..high reps...long workout multiple body parts and the fact that they might have to significantly drop weight at first. It hurts the ego..but after blowing through all my maxes this week .....I'm convinced.
L

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: DC Logg: Doggcrapp Training - is it all that it's cracked up to be?
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2006, 11:08:35 PM »
I'm only one workout in, but already I'm enjoying it.  Haven't really started to get in-depth with the diet and cardio, just basically eating the way I've always eaten for mass and adding 2-3 40-minute sessions a week to start.  Tomorrow afternoon is day two, and I'm curious to see how my quads will respond having done calves and hamstrings first.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2006, 09:26:42 AM »
I'm up 10lbs since starting my last blast, beating all my old totals and having alot of fun in the gym.
nasser=piece of shit

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2006, 12:50:04 PM »
I figured this would be a good area to post how my first DC workout went, as well as some current pictures to let everyone see what I'm working with.  I have nothing to hide, tear the pics apart all you want.  At least they're real, unlike a lot of people on this board.

Anyway,  here's the first workout with weights and reps:

Chest:
Hammer-Strength Incline Press - 90x15, 140x8 (warmup sets), 180 x8,4,1=13

Shoulders:
Smith-Machine Military Press - 45x15, 95x10 (warmup sets), 145x6-3-2=11
A note on the Smith-Machine - I have no idea how much the bar weighs, I just track the weights as though it was an Olympic bar.  I know it weighs less, but it's easier for me to keep track of this way.

Triceps:
Close-Grip Bench Press - 45x15, 95x10 (warmup sets), 115x13 (straight set, no rest-pause)

Back:
Hammer-Strength High Row - 90x10, 180x8 (warmup sets), 230x6-3-3=12 and a static hold for 10 deep breaths
Underhand BB Rows - 115x10 (warmup), 155x10

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
are you doing static holds and stretching?  Routine looks good for the first day.  Don't be afraid to RP tri work, straight sets are fine to start off with but there is no problem rping tri's. 
nasser=piece of shit

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2006, 10:47:23 PM »
I would do rest-pause for triceps but I didnt' have a spotter for close-grip bench, and I'm not sure how safe that would be to do it without one.  Anything else, skullcrushers/dips/pressdowns/etc, I will implement rest-pause.

I'm doing extreme stretching for at least 60 seconds for each bodypart, usually between every few bodyparts - i.e. after chest/shoulders/tris, then again after back.  Static holds I really haven't gotten into yet, for the most part.

Anyway, here's how today's workout went, including warm-up sets:

Biceps:
Dumbbell Curls - 25x15, 35x6, 45x8-4-2=14

Forearms:
Hammer Curls - 45x11

Calves:
Leg Press Toe Raises - 270x10 quick reps, 340x5 (need to drop the weight way down for these, but did the 5-sec descent and 10-15 second stretch at the bottom for 5 reps)

Hamstrings:
Cybex Seated Leg Curls - 30x25, 50x30 (no rest-pause)

Quads:
Squats - 95x10, 135x6, 165x8, 95x20

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2006, 11:16:01 PM »
Just started my second six week DC phase. I hope top crack 315 on the incline for a full set of reps..legs to low 400lbs etc. This works.. takes time but each work out u will see improvement.
L

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2006, 07:48:01 AM »
As a side note, holy hell are my legs still sore three days after I worked them.  I did them on Sunday, and my quads are still sorer with 2 sets of squats then they were with a 10-12 set workout.  I like it.  I can see the benefits of reduced volume, as far as all-out effort on work sets.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2006, 11:10:55 AM »
I would do rest-pause for triceps but I didnt' have a spotter for close-grip bench, and I'm not sure how safe that would be to do it without one.  Anything else, skullcrushers/dips/pressdowns/etc, I will implement rest-pause.

I'm doing extreme stretching for at least 60 seconds for each bodypart, usually between every few bodyparts - i.e. after chest/shoulders/tris, then again after back.  Static holds I really haven't gotten into yet, for the most part.

Anyway, here's how today's workout went, including warm-up sets:

Biceps:
Dumbbell Curls - 25x15, 35x6, 45x8-4-2=14

Forearms:
Hammer Curls - 45x11

Calves:
Leg Press Toe Raises - 270x10 quick reps, 340x5 (need to drop the weight way down for these, but did the 5-sec descent and 10-15 second stretch at the bottom for 5 reps)

Hamstrings:
Cybex Seated Leg Curls - 30x25, 50x30 (no rest-pause)

Quads:
Squats - 95x10, 135x6, 165x8, 95x20

the only thing I would tweak in this routine is the calf part.  Drop the weight and do a set of at least 12-15 reps in the DC fashion.  If you feel the need to do the quick reps do them afterwards, in a partials style of movement and go for about 30 reps.  This isn't really a DC thing but I did these for along time and my calfs grew like crazy using this technique.  When you're only getting 5 reps you're not gonna be able to keep improveing on that movement enough.  I'd also think about doing 1 set of 20 reps for squats, keep trying to up the weight until you can't get 20 then as the weight goes up your reps will come down.  When you get to a weight you can only handle for 6-8 reps then throw in a 2nd set of widowmakers.
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2006, 01:01:05 AM »
Nat..On the widow maker I have been increasing the weight on that as well. If i squat 390 (current weight) and then do 250 for 20 reps...I'm ssuming i can keep trying to go up on the widow as long as I get the 20 deep reps?
L

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2006, 09:28:55 AM »
the only thing I would tweak in this routine is the calf part.  Drop the weight and do a set of at least 12-15 reps in the DC fashion.  If you feel the need to do the quick reps do them afterwards, in a partials style of movement and go for about 30 reps.  This isn't really a DC thing but I did these for along time and my calfs grew like crazy using this technique.  When you're only getting 5 reps you're not gonna be able to keep improveing on that movement enough.  I'd also think about doing 1 set of 20 reps for squats, keep trying to up the weight until you can't get 20 then as the weight goes up your reps will come down.  When you get to a weight you can only handle for 6-8 reps then throw in a 2nd set of widowmakers.

I know I need to drop the weight for the calves - I did it yesterday with seated calf raises and did 12 reps, and my calves were screaming by the time I got done with them.  As far as the quad exercises go, I'm feeling pretty good doing the one heavy set of 4-8 and then the widowmaker set of 20.

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2006, 12:54:57 PM »
Nat..On the widow maker I have been increasing the weight on that as well. If i squat 390 (current weight) and then do 250 for 20 reps...I'm ssuming i can keep trying to go up on the widow as long as I get the 20 deep reps?

bingo.  I've got back problems so my WM is the leg press and I try to up the weight on a regular basis, just be sure to get 20 reps and maintain good form.  Don't get to the point where you're risking your back. 
nasser=piece of shit

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2006, 03:50:57 AM »
Here's the thing..awhile back I was rocketing along on squats. I'm in the military so having monster legs..or more importantly legs that are sore while trying to get out of burning vehicle kinda suck. So I was neglecting my legs for awhile. Anyway....I started to squat as opposed to leg sled and i made progress. I managed 405 for 4 deep. The next week i was working up to 405 and dumped 365 on a buddies hand...his titanium wedding band saved his finger from any damage but it took 4 docs including a surgeon and 3 or 4 ring saws to get it off. It was show time in the ER. It has really effected me mentally.. I see 4 barrels and I get nervous as hell. I have only gotten it once since but i have no problem getting my 9-10 at 390. So back damage or the weight is always on my mind.....DC has helped. I like the 20 reps..it really finishes my legs off. Is there a point where more weight is pointless? If i can just keep working on increasing my reps at 405..is that good enough. Either way I'm sure i'll hve more stupid questions. You hav helped alot..thanks dude.
L

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2006, 04:24:46 AM »
Here's the thing..awhile back I was rocketing along on squats. I'm in the military so having monster legs..or more importantly legs that are sore while trying to get out of burning vehicle kinda suck. So I was neglecting my legs for awhile. Anyway....I started to squat as opposed to leg sled and i made progress. I managed 405 for 4 deep. The next week i was working up to 405 and dumped 365 on a buddies hand...his titanium wedding band saved his finger from any damage but it took 4 docs including a surgeon and 3 or 4 ring saws to get it off. It was show time in the ER. It has really effected me mentally.. I see 4 barrels and I get nervous as hell. I have only gotten it once since but i have no problem getting my 9-10 at 390. So back damage or the weight is always on my mind.....DC has helped. I like the 20 reps..it really finishes my legs off. Is there a point where more weight is pointless? If i can just keep working on increasing my reps at 405..is that good enough. Either way I'm sure i'll hve more stupid questions. You hav helped alot..thanks dude.

I'm not a strong squatter, I have a few lower back issues that have been with me for years and they are very hard to work around for me.  I guess i could go to a chiropractor and have them sorted out but I just don't.  If you honestly don't want to go over 390, maybe redurce the weight and just do a 20 repper....I would THINK that doing a set of 20 with 315 would be just as effective as what your doing now and then add weitht from there, next squat workout try 320 for 20 etc.  This is how I handled squatting for along time but even doing this when I got heavy-heavy for me-my back couldn't take it and I did everything I could think of to protect my lower back...anyway, that's what I would try. 
nasser=piece of shit

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2006, 11:17:46 PM »
is it ok to switch the muscles around. so instead of doing bis, then forearms, then quads last. can i do quads and hams first so i get them out of the way?

natural al

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: October 09, 2006, 05:05:24 AM »
is it ok to switch the muscles around. so instead of doing bis, then forearms, then quads last. can i do quads and hams first so i get them out of the way?

most everyone will tell you to keep the rotation as it is.  Usually if you're totally hammering your quads you really shouldn't be able to train anything afterwards.  I'd say leave it as is.
nasser=piece of shit

egoatdoor

• Getbig III
  • A thinking man's bodybuilder
« Reply #74 on: October 09, 2006, 06:01:55 AM »
I'm not a strong squatter, I have a few lower back issues that have been with me for years and they are very hard to work around for me.  I guess i could go to a chiropractor and have them sorted out but I just don't.  If you honestly don't want to go over 390, maybe redurce the weight and just do a 20 repper....I would THINK that doing a set of 20 with 315 would be just as effective as what your doing now and then add weitht from there, next squat workout try 320 for 20 etc.  This is how I handled squatting for along time but even doing this when I got heavy-heavy for me-my back couldn't take it and I did everything I could think of to protect my lower back...anyway, that's what I would try. 

Natural, I don't think going to 20 reps is the solution. I think a  better way is to increase the targeted reps to 12.  This would reduce the weight to say 335 or 355. If he gets 12 easily, then add 5 or 10 pounds and then keep adding small increments of 5 or 10 pounds at a time as he gets 12 or 13 reps without difficulty. This type of weight should not create the lower back problems squatting at 6 or 8 rep weights would.
Go hard or go home!