Author Topic: Basic Nutritional Information  (Read 111608 times)

DMG

• Getbig IV
  • A monster is born...
Basic Nutritional Information
« on: July 12, 2004, 12:45:27 PM »
Here’s some Nutritional information for the newbie’s starting out.

1. Whether it is bulking or cutting that you’re working to accomplish, make sure that your diet is in order. Remember that training is only 25% of the battle; the other 75% is nutrition. You can train hard, but without the proper nutrition you’re not going to be able to accomplish your goals.

2. Calorie manipulation is the key to accomplishing your goals. As a general rule for bulking aim for 18-20 calories per pound of bodyweight (for instance a 180 pound man should take in 3300-3600 calories per day). If you’re looking to cut fat, go for around 15 calories per pound of bodyweight.

3. Protein is a must for those looking to add quality muscle to their frame. Take in around 30% of your calories from protein. For bulking or maintaining your weight, consume around 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. If you’re cutting you should go close to 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight to prevent muscle loss.

4. Good fats such as Essential Fatty Acids (EFA’s) are your ally, especially when looking to add muscle. The use of good fats can increase the absorption of protein. Sources for such EFA's can be found in fresh fish, nuts and oils (such as olive oil). When bulking take in 20-30% of your calories from fat.

5. Carbohydrates are essential in fueling your muscles, whether you’re bulking or cutting. Carbohydrates allow glycogen stores to be replenished therefore giving you more energy for your workouts. Carbohydrates should make up around 40-50% of the calories you take in.

6. When is comes to nutrition, make sure the changes you make to your diet are gradual and not drastic. By slowly altering your diet, whether it be adding more calories or other changes, you can find out what works best for you.

7. Do not expect that fat loss and muscle gain will happen overnight. It took time to gain the fat, so what makes it any different losing it, it takes time.

8. Try to drink 1-2 gallons of water per day. Doing so, especially while on a high protein diet, will help to flush out the kidneys and keep them functioning properly.

9. Do not look to protein powders ONLY for nutrition. For the best muscle gains (cutting or bulking), 70% of your nutrition should come from good solid meals. The other 30% can come from protein powders or other supplements.

10. A good rule to remember when it comes to cutting, in order to burn fat you should burn more calories than what you take in. When looking to add quality muscle in your bulking phase, take in more calories (mainly from lower fat foods) than you can burn.

11. Try to get around 8 hours of sleep per night. Keep in mind that you don't grow when your in the gym (working out just triggers muscle growth) but sleeping is when your muscles have a chance to repair themselves and grow. If you're not getting enough sleep at night, it's going to take much longer to recover from your workouts, leading to overtraining.
Team Testosterone

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
Re:Newbie Do's and Don'ts
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2004, 12:48:09 PM »
looks pretty good.
W

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2004, 12:59:42 PM »
Looks good to me.  Good work DMG
Get Big  Stay Big

melonwheels

• Getbig III
  • Self-proclaimed economist
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2004, 01:59:13 PM »
If you want to make dieting less of a turkey shoot, get a scale, in my opinion. I mean, I found out that one supposed scoop of whey weighted 20g instead of the 35 advertised on the tub. Speaking as a newbie, a scale helps.

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »
I agree, everyone who is serious about dieting needs to have a food scale.  You can buy a cheap one at Wal-Mart or Target for about $5
Get Big  Stay Big

bald

• Getbig IV
  • Squat Till You Puke!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2004, 02:04:27 PM »
If you want to make dieting less of a turkey shoot, get a scale, in my opinion. I mean, I found out that one supposed scoop of whey weighted 20g instead of the 35 advertised on the tub. Speaking as a newbie, a scale helps.

The advertised 35 grams, was 35 grams of protein.  Not 35 grams of net weight, as in 140 cals of protein.  You should be more concerned about weighing your chicken and beef, not worry about protein powder.
W

melonwheels

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2004, 02:37:58 PM »
No, I meant the whey was 28gs of protein per 35gs of powder. Mass will always be mass, while volume can often compress, so a scale is the premier food measurement tool.

Although I'm sure most of you know this, but make sure your scale is accurate by filling it with a cup of water; it should be 250g on the dot, since 1ml of water weighs 1g.

DMG

• Getbig IV
  • A monster is born...
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2004, 04:40:03 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Do you think I should add that people should buy a scale to weigh food or powders to the post? If I've missed anything please let me know.
Team Testosterone

MartiniMan

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2004, 05:04:56 PM »
Congrats on the promotion DMG!  I saw your appeal to the masses this morning and noticed the results ... good for you!

DMG

• Getbig IV
  • A monster is born...
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2004, 05:27:11 PM »
Thanks MartiniMan, I couldn't have done it without the support of all the members. I know some were hesitant about me being mod, but Iam gonna do my best.
Team Testosterone

Little_O

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2004, 09:35:56 PM »
DMG, you need a sticky on pre and post w/o nutrition...many people miss this very important meal, and never make quality gains.  In fact, the post w/o meal is the most important meal of the day...

Example: for hardgainers especially...

10 oz apple juice
one can fat free yogurt
two scoops whey

Maybe post a sample of a bulking diet, and a cutting diet as a sticky...then you can just throw in the post w/o meal with the bulking diet.  I am sure some of the members here will be more than happy to help throw together some diet stuff with you.

DMG

• Getbig IV
  • A monster is born...
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2004, 09:47:55 PM »
Maybe post a sample of a bulking diet, and a cutting diet as a sticky...then you can just throw in the post w/o meal with the bulking diet.

Thats a good idea O. Iam going to be on vacation this weekend from Thursday to Sunday, so I will work on this while Iam on vacation and have it up next week. If any of you guys could give me some suggestions I'd appreciate that. Just post them here or PM me (especially Jackel, you know your stuff when it comes to putting together diets).  ;)
Team Testosterone

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »
DMG I will put together a sample bulking and cutting diet and also a good post and pre work out formula.
Get Big  Stay Big

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2004, 03:16:42 PM »
Cutting Diet
2,550 Calories

This is based on a 200lb male at 15% body fat.
Here is the math:
200*.15 = 170lbs LBM (Lean Body Mass)
170*15C = 2550 C
1.5g Protein * 170 = 255g per day   42.5g per meal
1.8g Carbs * 170 = 306g per day     51g per meal
That is a total of:  255+306 = 561g * 4C = 2244 C from Protein and Carbs
That leaves 306 C for fat or 34g per day   5.6g per meal

Meal #1 (Largest Meal of the Day)  Protein   Carbs   Fat
6 Egg Whites                  24         0         0
2 Whole Eggs                  12         0        10
2 Packs Regular Instant Oatmeal         8         36        4
1 Banana                  1         27        1

Total Calories                 45         36        15   = 567 C

Meal #2
8 oz. Sweet Potato               4         56        0
4 oz White Tuna               40         0        2

Total Calories                  44         56        2   = 418 C

Meal #3
1 Cup of Brown Rice (Cooked)         5         50        1
4 oz Chicken Breast               36         0        3

Total Calories                  41         50        4   = 400 C

Meal #4 (Pre-Workout)
ON MRP                  45         20        3
1 Banana                  1         27        1

Total Calories                   46         47        4   = 417 C

Meal #5 (Post-Workout)
2 Scoops ON 100% Whey            46         6        3
16 oz. skim milk               16         24        0
25g Dextrose & 25g Maltodextrin         0         50        0

Total Calories                  62         80        3   = 595 C

Meal #5
Salad with fat free Dressing (50 calories or less)0         12        0
4 oz. Chicken Breast               36         0        3

Total Calories                  36         12        3   = 221 C        

Note:
Do not eat 3 hours before bed time
Cardio for 30min at least 3 times a week
Get Big  Stay Big

melonwheels

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2004, 04:38:44 PM »
You count protein from grain and cereal products? Aren't they largely unused by the body?

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2004, 08:27:33 AM »
You count protein from grain and cereal products? Aren't they largely unused by the body?

You count it because of its calories.  Grain and veg proteins do not contain all 9 of the essential amino acids chains.  But when comsumed with complete proteins (meat, fish, eggs, ect)  you will use what every amino that it needs.  Just make sure you have enough meat protein with each meal, which the stated diet above does.  
Get Big  Stay Big

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
Bodybuilding Foods
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2004, 07:04:33 AM »
Proteins:
Turkey
Lean Ham
Tuna
Boneless / Skinless Chicken Breast
Eggs
Lean Beef
Cottage Cheese
Skim Milk
Steak
Lean ground beef
Turkey bacon
Tilapia
Catfish
Nutlettes Cereal
Powerbutter
Cod

Carbs:
Oatmeal
Bananas
Rice cakes
Sweet Potatoes (yams)
Brown Rice
Wheat Bread
Red Russet Potatoes
Grits
Whole Wheat Tortillas
Kidney Beans
Butter Beans
Black Eyed Peas

Fats:
Natural Peanut butter
Olive Oil
Flaxseed oil
Fish Oil
Almonds

Vegetables:
Lettuce
Broccoli
Green Beans
Spinach
Asparagus
Zucchini
Carrots

Supplements, Vitamins, and Minerals:
Protein Powder
Glutamine
BCAA
Creeatine
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Multi-Vitamin
Zinc
Bottled water (Purified is best)

Thanks to all who put in ideas for a Bodybuilder Grocery List and to stayhungry for the idea.  If I missed anything you are all welcome to add to the list.
Get Big  Stay Big

dawakaman

• Getbig III
  • Never settle for less
Re: Bodybuilding Foods
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 01:25:40 AM »
Distilled water?

Maybe im wrong but i always thought that distilled water will detract a whole lot of minerals from your body, which will break down your bone structure...

I dont know this for sure but i dont see what's wron with normal tap water.

Peace

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 01:56:15 AM »
Depends on where you live. In some places tapwater isn't an option.
Z

mrbean

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2004, 11:29:24 AM »
Desiccated Liver and Brewers Yeast.  :P

UnexplaineDisaster

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2004, 07:00:13 PM »
Salmon is king

H4eafy

• Getbig III
  • I will Stop Procrastinating... Tomorrow
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2004, 03:11:40 PM »

::) Protein:
Beef jerky

What do you guys think about beef jerky? With it being so hard i wasnt sure if it would digest easy. I love it and i sell it in my shop and i will have about £600 worth in a few months.

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2004, 09:43:23 AM »
Beef jerky is fine, the only thing to watch out for high sodium
Get Big  Stay Big

Jadethegladiator

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2004, 05:55:40 PM »
Beef jerky is fine, the only thing to watch out for high sodium

Whenever I eat food with a high sodium content (especially restaurant food), I take 3 dandelion root caps after & poof.....no bloat and/or water retention.  Dandelion is also a godsend for girlz and "that time of the freakin' month".  I usually buy Nature's Way brand, 100 caps for around 8 bucks. :) 

Jade

The Jackel

• Getbig IV
  • Eat, Sleep, Train
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2004, 06:23:44 AM »
Tilapia

Species Name: Tilapia (Oreochromis spp.) Oreochromis niloticus, the fastest growing of tilapia from the Nile River is emerald green. Oreochromis honorum is black and white. Oreochromis mossambica has reddish coloring. The oreochromis aureus is white or silver. Red tilapia is a mix of species, but always carries the red gene from oreochromis mossambica. Tilapia are sometimes called sunshine snapper, cherry snapper, Nile perch, mouthbrooders and St. Peter's fish.

Geography: Fresh tilapia comes from Columbia and Costa Rica. All American-raised tilapia goes to the live market. Farmers in Taiwan, Thailand and Indonesia export frozen product to the US.

Seasonality: Year-round availability due to aquaculture.

Appearance/Flavor: The meat is typically white, although the red skinned tilapia may have a reddish tint to the meat. Cooked meat is opaque. A brown colored meat will result from red-skinned fish if the tilapia is not skinned deeply enough. The firm, flaky texture of tilapia has a sweet, mild flavor.

Nutrition: (per 3.5 oz. raw) Cal 98, Fat cal. 22, Total fat 2.4g, Saturated fat 0, Chol 0, Sodium 52mg, Potassium 0, Protein 18.5g, Iron 0.

Buying/Handling/Storing: Tilapia meat should be moist and resilient. It should have no musky odor. Don't buy frozen tilapia that has freezer burn. If mushy when thawed, discard. Tilapia absorbs flavor from the water it is raised in, so check the source. Shelf-life for fresh tilapia at 32 F is 2 weeks. Layer in ice. Shelf-life for frozen product is 6 months. Blast frozen or block frozen is a sign of a poor product.

Cooking Methods: Tilapia can be broiled, fried, grilled, baked, poached, sautéed, or steamed. Tilapia's attractive skin may be displayed, but should not be eaten due to a bitter flavor.

Harvesting methods: Tilapia is farmed in ponds or tanks.

Get Big  Stay Big