Author Topic: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?  (Read 17180 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Flat Bench Press - is full depth really necessary?
« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2006, 07:32:50 AM »
But you made it personal, like an amateur. It's not about me-obviously i'm not alone here in my observations. ;D People with shoulder problems, many of whom used perfect form and reasonable weight, are exactly those to listen to about preventative measures; why is this hard to fathom?

You're the worst person to take advice from, because of your ridid adherence to in-the-box thinking. A forum like this is supposed to widen the scope.

You'd be entirely the wrong person to advise anyone unfortunate enough to be without your resilience to presses or full ROM.

JonBoy

• Getbig I
« Reply #101 on: November 08, 2006, 09:08:01 AM »
Exactly.

And pumpster will be that guy in the gym benching half way and doing 1/4 squats and wondering why he never grows

As I said my personal trainer is Charles Clairemonte who has clearly told me that you I do not need to bring it all the way to my chest due to my shoulders being hyper-extended. When I bring it down to my chest my elbows bend well below my back, a long way. Charles is a pro- watch Mr universe clips 88-90. Do you think he's just lying, doesn't know what he's talking about? He applies the same to preacher curl- you don't need to do the very lowest part of the movement- it is just as effective to isolate each part of the bicep- 3 sets lower part, 3 middle, 3 top etc.

As for squats- I personally do full depth on these well beyond the horizontal. I don't have problems with my knees. It has nothing to do with wimping out or trying to avoid what is difficult- it is just self preservation. Who really cares if you aren't doing full ROM when you are still getting results! It's not like there's weightlifting judges giving you marks on what you're doing. As long as you get the technique right full ROM is not necessary. Full ROM does not necessarily equate to good technique. There are probably people who do full ROM with crap technique.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #102 on: November 08, 2006, 09:33:21 AM »
But you made it personal, like an amateur. It's not about me-obviously i'm not alone here in my observations. ;D People with shoulder problems, many of whom used perfect form and reasonable weight, are exactly those to listen to about preventative measures; why is this hard to fathom?

You're the worst person to take advice from, because of your ridid adherence to in-the-box thinking. A forum like this is supposed to widen the scope.

You'd be entirely the wrong person to advise anyone unfortunate enough to be without your resilience to presses or full ROM.

Funny.

i'm a power lifting coach and a competition judge in my spare time.

Keep on pumpin those half reps...

Good luck!

8)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
« Reply #103 on: November 08, 2006, 09:39:30 AM »
eh

don't hate on the partials!  ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: November 08, 2006, 10:05:54 AM »
Funny.

i'm a power lifting coach and a competition judge in my spare time.

Keep on pumpin those half reps...

Good luck!

Stupid to admit it, just trying to brag. More experience makes your ignorance less excusable. You're welcome for the enlightment.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
Not really; this is by the book stuff that most follow without questioning.

Several reasons to continue what you've found more effective:

-You're focusing on the sweet spot of the movement that hits the muscle better. Every exercise has it, should be focused on. Generally the sweet spot is not at the beginning or end of the movement. Cheats and partials, techniques that often expedite development and exaggerate beneficial stress on the muscle rather than the connective tissues, follow along the same lines of theory based on mid-ROM emphasis where the muscle has better mechanical advantage. At the end and beginning of ROM the muscle is in a weak position in relation to the stress shifted to the connective tissues. It's no accident that many pros don't use particularly strict form-they're shifting the stress away from the beginning and end points of ROM.

-In each exercise there are one or more areas of the ROM that exaggerate the negative stress on joints and ligaments while having minimal beneficial effects on the tissue-the exact opposite of what you want. In your case the bottom of the BP ROM; you've already noticed this in mentioning that including this is not effective for your chest. While it's possible that your form may be to blame, the more reasonable assumption is that your body's telling you something useful that shouldn't be ignored. For others, the same applies to dips and for most, the bottom of preacher curls & squats, which should be avoided.

-Constant tension-you're likely making fuller use of it by stopping short.

Try going all the way down but if you find the same effects-too much shoulder, too much potential strain on the joints, do not continue. Rather, continue with what works, baby.

Also try partial and full range ROM with DBs as well.

I can see that you're spitting out your bullshit here, too. ::) I wonder if some of these guys follow your advice and get injured, if you're going to pay their medical bills. By the way, Pumpster, how are those hard-core bowflex training sessions coming along? ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2006, 08:35:09 PM »
  I can see that you're spitting out your bullshit here, too. ::) I wonder if some of these guys follow your advice and get injured, if you're going to pay their medical bills. By the way, Pumpster, how are those hard-core bowflex training sessions coming along? ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

This misfit has PM'd me and others with threats, AND WASN'T KIDDING, because of a thread on a different board. A major-league stalker.

There goes his credibility.  ;D

It's obvious that one of his crones told him to come over to a board he knows nothing about just to rehash the same sentiments, because he went right back to the same thread that the other turd posted on that has otherwise been long forgotten.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2006, 09:16:08 PM »
This misfit has PM'd me and others with threats, AND WASN'T KIDDING, because of a thread on a different board. A major-league stalker.

There goes his credibility.  ;D

It's obvious that one of his crones told him to come over to a board he knows nothing about just to rehash the same sentiments, because he went right back to the same thread that the other turd posted on that has otherwise been long forgotten.

Actually, I have a degree in physiology of exercise, so there goes your credibility. ;) The basis of resistence training is damaging the myofibrils and the sarcomers. Cheating on the eccentric part of an exercise is not merely dangerous - due to the specific contractile properties of myosin -, but also counter-productive, because most of the damage to the sarcomers occurs in the eccentric part of the exercise. You'll seriously hurt someone with your advice, Poopster, and I think it's sad you try to pose as an expert when you're most definitely not specialized in sports medicine or exercise physiology.

You're not even a bodybuilder, actually. Listen up, people. Pumpster uses a bowflex as the crux of his bodybuilding routine. :-X This guy, who professes to know so much, is actually a soft-core fitness enthusiast posing as a gym rat - or, worse, as an expert in resistence training. Are you guys actually going to follow the advice of a bowflex enthusiast? I wouldn't... ;) Owned.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

P.S: Poopster doesen't like HIT because he doesen't like Dorian Yates. What kind of a hardcore bodybuilder doesen't advocate squats and deadlifts? ::)

Alex23

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2006, 09:21:03 PM »
no

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2006, 09:59:08 PM »
  Actually, I have a degree in physiology of exercise, so there goes your credibility. ;) The basis of resistence training is damaging the myofibrils and the sarcomers. Cheating on the eccentric part of an exercise is not merely dangerous - due to the specific contractile properties of myosin -, but also counter-productive, because most of the damage to the sarcomers occurs in the eccentric part of the exercise. You'll seriously hurt someone with your advice, Poopster, and I think it's sad you try to pose as an expert when you're most definitely not specialized in sports medicine or exercise physiology.

You're not even a bodybuilder, actually. Listen up, people. Pumpster uses a bowflex as the crux of his bodybuilding routine. :-X This guy, who professes to know so much, is actually a soft-core fitness enthusiast posing as a gym rat - or, worse, as an expert in resistence training. Are you guys actually going to follow the advice of a bowflex enthusiast? I wouldn't... ;) Owned.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

P.S: Poopster doesen't like HIT because he doesen't like Dorian Yates. What kind of a hardcore bodybuilder doesen't advocate squats and deadlifts? ::)

Notice:

-He never denied the threatening PMs (a strange one).

-This is the ONLY thread he's posted on, is never on this board. Never once actually contributed anything of value to this thread.

Conclusion:

Apparently i mean a lot to him.

hahahahahaahahahahahahaa hahahahahahahaahahahahah ahahahah

BTW anyone with an ounce of common sense comprehends that muscle can be built using weights, machines, lifting rocks or using a Bowflex. All good. ;D

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2006, 10:06:24 PM »
it's sad you try to pose as an expert

Incidentally, i don't pose as an expert, but thanks for thinking so.

hahahahahaahahahahahahah ahahahaah

suckmymuscle

« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2006, 10:15:16 PM »
  Poopster's "hardcore" training knowledge is exemplified by his training apparatus of choice... :P :-X

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2006, 10:19:46 PM »
PRICELESS! THIS "STUDENT OF PHYSIOLOGY" CAN'T EVEN SPELL "RESISTANCE" PROPERLY..haahahahaahaha haahahahahahaha

Actually, I have a degree in physiology of exercise, so there goes your credibility.  The basis of resistence training is damaging the myofibrils and the sarcomers

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2006, 10:22:56 PM »

SUCKMYMUSCLE

NO, your owned clown...........you just quoted the basics out of damn near every personal training study book out there including ACE, NCCPT, ISSA, etc. My guess is that JOHNNY APOLLO isn't really dead...............get off this board son, your out of your league on here!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2006, 10:25:49 PM »
NO, your owned clown...........you just quoted the basics out of damn near every personal training study book out there including ACE, NCCPT, ISSA, etc. My guess is that JOHNNY APOLLO isn't really dead...............get off this board son, your out of your league on here!

Thanks, the real FOOLS are invariably the last to learn of their own stupidity.

suckmymuscle

« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2006, 10:33:13 PM »

First of all, you're biased in saying that I got owned, because it was you who got brutally owned by me at the General Topics board, where I exposed your President for the lying scumbag that he is, and you got all hysterical. So obviously, you hold a grudge with me which makes your opinion irrelevant. Secondly, anyone can say that his opponent just copied the information he posted. Is it relevant? No, because I owned Poopster's ass in the same way I owned yours in the General Topics board(see the Hugo Chavez thread, people, and make your own conclusions). Now, Mrs.DumbOne, you're the board's greatest clown. You had a complete emotional breakdown and said you would never psot there again after I owned your ass. So who really is the bitch here? Hint: it's not me. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2006, 10:37:27 PM »

"RESISTENCE" - FROM A "STUDENT OF PHYSIOLOGY". hahahaahahahahahahahahaa hahah

Go back to PUBES and bitch to him about it! ;)

suckmymuscle

« Reply #117 on: November 22, 2006, 10:49:33 PM »
"RESISTENCE" - FROM A "STUDENT OF PHYSIOLOGY". hahahaahahahahahahahahaa hahah

Go back to PUBES and bitch to him about it! ;)

Actually, I am a graduate in physiology, and if I were to point out spelling mistakes you make, I would be here 24/7 only posting them. I'm trying to decide if I've whether it is you or Mrs.DumbOne who got owned by more times. Hey, I can understand why you relate to him: both are arguing lost causes: him, that Bush is a great President, and you, that Ronnie would have any chance in hell of defeating Dorian. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #118 on: November 22, 2006, 10:53:30 PM »
ANY "STUDENT OF PHYSIOLOGY" WHO MISSPELLS SOMETHING AS RUDIMENTARY AS "RESISTANCE" SHOULD RE-TAKE THE 3 WEEK MAIL-ORDER COURSE. LOL

If SUCKY weren't such a vindictive little creep chasing me around message boards i'd actually be embarassed for him. :D

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #119 on: November 22, 2006, 10:54:06 PM »
  First of all, you're biased in saying that I got owned, because it was you who got brutally owned by me at the General Topics board, where I exposed your President for the lying scumbag that he is, and you got all hysterical. So obviously, you hold a grudge with me which makes your opinion irrelevant. Secondly, anyone can say that his opponent just copied the information he posted. Is it relevant? No, because I owned Poopster's ass in the same way I owned yours in the General Topics board(see the Hugo Chavez thread, people, and make your own conclusions). Now, Mrs.DumbOne, you're the board's greatest clown. You had a complete emotional breakdown and said you would never psot there again after I owned your ass. So who really is the bitch here? Hint: it's not me. ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Irrelevant you fucking idiot, were talking about training not politics...wrong board. BTW, you couldn't own your mother...now go away, I'm done responding to your idiocy!!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2006, 11:20:52 PM »
Irrelevant you fucking idiot, were talking about training not politics...wrong board. BTW, you couldn't own your mother...now go away, I'm done responding to your idiocy!!

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You lost it, just like your idiot president! ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

P.S: Since his training advice is shit, you have no point.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2006, 11:26:30 PM »
Ha ha ha ha ha ha! You lost it, just like your idiot president! ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

P.S: Since his training advice is shit, you have no point.

Mindless, clumsy backpeddle.

Mr. Intenseone

« Reply #122 on: November 23, 2006, 02:47:08 PM »
If people do quarter reps as their sets then there is a problem unless they are pulses or working that ROM for a reason.  As for bench, I guess Cormier needs to take these guy's advices.  He doesn't touch the bar to his chest on his 405 inclines and he has a damn good chest.  You have to decide what is necessary for your body and don't be a mindless follower to what everyone tells you.  The blind leading the blind..

Not being a smartass here.......but when a person on gear such as Cormier anything works, and training someone on gear is not a true test of strength progression simply because anything will work!

suckmymuscle

« Reply #123 on: November 23, 2006, 06:32:30 PM »

Mindless, clumsy backpeddle

I've made tons of spelling mistakes and yet I've owned you each and every single time. Besides, nothing tops this! ;D :P ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #124 on: November 23, 2006, 06:53:24 PM »

I've made tons of spelling mistakes and yet I've owned you each and every single time. Besides, nothing tops this! ;D :P ;)

SUCKMYMUSCLE

hahaahahahah That equipment looks damn good for a home gym actually. SUCKY reduced now to ZERO credibility feeling compelled to throw in more empty words that do nothing. LOL

Keep going SUCKY this is doing a lot for your rep.  ;D